PDA

View Full Version : TD's Summer League Scores

TotallyDefiant
06-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Started my first ever league tonight. Rolled 211, 141, 235 for a 587 series and starting the league with a 195.66 average. Only reason I rolled the second game the way I did was my team members mentioned not setting a real high average on the first night and to sand bag a little. I think I took it a little to far though with that particular game lol. Oh well, was a fun night and got a few tips from some outstanding bowlers.

One thing I forgot to mention was a lot of the top bowlers were complaining about how oily the lanes were. Non of them were prepared for the lanes to be that slick and did not have a ball to play. I guess this is just one of the instances where not having a lot of hook becomes an advantage instead of a handicap.

TotallyDefiant
07-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I forgot to post my scores the past few weeks and have forgotten what they were, however, the changes that I have been working on in my release are finally starting to produce some great results with the ball action. I started the night standing 15 targeting 10 but quickly had to move left, WAY LEFT. It took me a total of a game and a half to find the spot which ended up being me standing 23 targeting 18 with a break point at 8. I was amazed with the reaction I was seeing on the ball. Rolled a 150, 177, 234. I found my line in the 6th frame of the second game and did not have an open frame after that. Proceeded to roll 11 strikes after that. Oh, and one last thing I have forgotten to mention. I have slowed my ball speed down to 15-15.4mph. Another thing I was able to do lastnight was stand around 30 and target 23 with a breakpoint around 10 and get the ball back for a strike. Very happy and pleased with the results that are finally starting to show. League average through week 6 is 170 right now but will be aiming to get it back up to 195 before the season is over.

Amyers
07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I forgot to post my scores the past few weeks and have forgotten what they were, however, the changes that I have been working on in my release are finally starting to produce some great results with the ball action. I started the night standing 15 targeting 10 but quickly had to move left, WAY LEFT. It took me a total of a game and a half to find the spot which ended up being me standing 23 targeting 18 with a break point at 8. I was amazed with the reaction I was seeing on the ball. Rolled a 150, 177, 234. I found my line in the 6th frame of the second game and did not have an open frame after that. Proceeded to roll 11 strikes after that. Oh, and one last thing I have forgotten to mention. I have slowed my ball speed down to 15-15.4mph. Another thing I was able to do lastnight was stand around 30 and target 23 with a breakpoint around 10 and get the ball back for a strike. Very happy and pleased with the results that are finally starting to show. League average through week 6 is 170 right now but will be aiming to get it back up to 195 before the season is over.

Congratulations its always good when the things your working on come together. That's a pretty big move hopefully you can dial it in a little sooner next time.

TotallyDefiant
07-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Congratulations its always good when the things your working on come together. That's a pretty big move hopefully you can dial it in a little sooner next time.

Thank you. I should be able to because I started to get real comfortable with the new line lastnight. My teammates were giving me grief until I finally found my line. Kept telling me to pick my speed back up since I was generating quite a few more revs than before but I did not want to do that. Don't get me wrong I know I could pick my speed back up to 17-18 mph and hook it now but that would go against everything I have been working on.

fortheloveofbowling
07-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Speed control is one of the hardest things to do. Now that you can slow your ball speed down and are comfortable with that speed you know you can increase it when you want. That is very valuable and something alot of guys struggle with, me included sometimes.

TotallyDefiant
07-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Speed control is one of the hardest things to do. Now that you can slow your ball speed down and are comfortable with that speed you know you can increase it when you want. That is very valuable and something alot of guys struggle with, me included sometimes.

I am definitely enjoying it. Had the most fun Tuesday night that I have had bowling in a while. Just to give an example. My strike throw was 15mph and a controlled spare throw at a 10 pin was 20mph Tuesday night.

Amyers
07-10-2014, 08:49 AM
I am definitely enjoying it. Had the most fun Tuesday night that I have had bowling in a while. Just to give an example. My strike throw was 15mph and a controlled spare throw at a 10 pin was 20mph Tuesday night.

That's awesome that you've got that much control over your speed. I can go a mile or two one way or the other but if I go more than that I screw my timing up badly.

TotallyDefiant
07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
That's awesome that you've got that much control over your speed. I can go a mile or two one way or the other but if I go more than that I screw my timing up badly.

I have been busting my butt working on my game and it has all just now started to come together. I still have a very long way to go. I would like to be able to gain enough control to where I can move back in and play straight up the 11 board with my mph at 17 and back down the speed as the lanes break down.

Amyers
07-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I have been busting my butt working on my game and it has all just now started to come together. I still have a very long way to go. I would like to be able to gain enough control to where I can move back in and play straight up the 11 board with my mph at 17 and back down the speed as the lanes break down.

Totally wouldn't it be easier just to pick a middle road with the speed and ball up or down? I do use speed variations if I'm getting a leave off my strike to change my angle a little but trying to use speed to combat lane breakdown seems extreme. I would imagine one of the speeds is always going to be your A game its important to develop other methods don't get me wrong especially if you are going to start playing or do play sport patterns. If you can do all the speeds with equal consistency and accuracy then I would guess it would work fine.

I have played on conditions where the heads are toasted and moved outside and picked the ball speed up but never as part of regular lane breakdown. This is an interesting idea.

TotallyDefiant
07-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Totally wouldn't it be easier just to pick a middle road with the speed and ball up or down? I do use speed variations if I'm getting a leave off my strike to change my angle a little but trying to use speed to combat lane breakdown seems extreme. I would imagine one of the speeds is always going to be your A game its important to develop other methods don't get me wrong especially if you are going to start playing or do play sport patterns. If you can do all the speeds with equal consistency and accuracy then I would guess it would work fine.

I have played on conditions where the heads are toasted and moved outside and picked the ball speed up but never as part of regular lane breakdown. This is an interesting idea.

Well if you have more than one ball and have an arsenal of bowling balls that would be the best route to go, however, when you only own one strike ball and one plastic spare ball it's rather difficult to change balls to keep same speed lol

Amyers
07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Well if you have more than one ball and have an arsenal of bowling balls that would be the best route to go, however, when you only own one strike ball and one plastic spare ball it's rather difficult to change balls to keep same speed lol

Yep that explains it. I have only owned one strike ball for a long time. Getting ready to add my 2nd ball can't wait.

I usually just chase the oil in though rather than increase my speed but most of my leagues are smaller so 2 or 3 person team leagues so I don't have as much transition as some of you guys do.

TotallyDefiant
07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Yep that explains it. I have only owned one strike ball for a long time. Getting ready to add my 2nd ball can't wait.

I usually just chase the oil in though rather than increase my speed but most of my leagues are smaller so 2 or 3 person team leagues so I don't have as much transition as some of you guys do.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying start my night off at a higher speed to play more straight up and in and then work my way outside and slow my speed down to play the bigger hook once the lanes start to break down.

Amyers
07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying start my night off at a higher speed to play more straight up and in and then work my way outside and slow my speed down to play the bigger hook once the lanes start to break down.

Oh okay that's just exactly opposite of how I generally play. I usually start out about 7-10 board and move gradually more inside usually to 15-17 as the lanes brake down. This seems backwards to me do the outsides of your lanes not break down faster than the inside? I would think if your lowering your speed and moving farther out it would promote the ball burning up. I'm no expert and there are a lot of different ways to play I don't want you to think I'm saying your wrong because I'm not this is just exactly backwards of the method I've seen most people play.

I would think you would start more outside with the higher rate of speed and move farther inside and lower your speed to increase your hook as the lanes break down.

TotallyDefiant
07-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Oh okay that's just exactly opposite of how I generally play. I usually start out about 7-10 board and move gradually more inside usually to 15-17 as the lanes brake down. This seems backwards to me do the outsides of your lanes not break down faster than the inside? I would think if your lowering your speed and moving farther out it would promote the ball burning up. I'm no expert and there are a lot of different ways to play I don't want you to think I'm saying your wrong because I'm not this is just exactly backwards of the method I've seen most people play.

I would think you would start more outside with the higher rate of speed and move farther inside and lower your speed to increase your hook as the lanes break down.

Ok I think we are still misunderstanding one another due to my lack of knowledge on how to explain what I am doing in bowling terms. I will just use the boards as my examples.

Tuesday night I started out standing 15 with my left foot. I would target 10 at the arrows. Considering the revs just started to really be produced that night I had to move 5 boards left immediately making me start the night standing on the 20 board with my left foot targeting around the 14 board and then having to move from there rest of the night.

Instead of starting so far left I am wanting to gain enough control over my ball to where I can start out standing on the 15 board with my left foot targeting the 10 board with a faster ball speed. Once the lane starts to break down I can then start moving left with my feet and start slowing my ball speed down to make sure it will have time to read the lane and not go sailing through the break point because for me if I keep my speed up around 17mph I can not move left no matter how dry the lanes get. I hope this will allow you to better understand what I was trying to say because how I move is just like everyone else.

Amyers
07-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Ok I think we are still misunderstanding one another due to my lack of knowledge on how to explain what I am doing in bowling terms. I will just use the boards as my examples.

Tuesday night I started out standing 15 with my left foot. I would target 10 at the arrows. Considering the revs just started to really be produced that night I had to move 5 boards left immediately making me start the night standing on the 20 board with my left foot targeting around the 14 board and then having to move from there rest of the night.

Instead of starting so far left I am wanting to gain enough control over my ball to where I can start out standing on the 15 board with my left foot targeting the 10 board with a faster ball speed. Once the lane starts to break down I can then start moving left with my feet and start slowing my ball speed down to make sure it will have time to read the lane and not go sailing through the break point because for me if I keep my speed up around 17mph I can not move left no matter how dry the lanes get. I hope this will allow you to better understand what I was trying to say because how I move is just like everyone else.

Okay I got it just different ways of saying the same thing. Up and in as squaring the shoulders and playing the outer edge I've heard that term but moving left I have always heard described as moving inside so when you said outside it confused me but makes sense in the terms of the conversation.

It does get confusing. I think this is correct. "Up an in" is referring to moving outside typically outside 10 or so and squaring the shoulder to straighten the line. When moving to the left you are moving "inside". If you kept in the same line of referring to the shoulder you probably are opening it up more to the outside but I've never heard it referred to that way. I may be wrong about this if I am I'm sure someone will come along and correct me.

Sorry for the confusion gotta love bowling terminology.

TotallyDefiant
07-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Decent night Tuesday night. Had a lot of fun once again. Started the night of standing 12 targeting 7 with my ball speed at 17.2 mph. I was able to stay here for the first game and had to start moving left 2nd frame of 2nd game. By the end of the night I was standing 22 targeting 17 with my speed 16mph. Struggled to find a good line in the second game and had a hard time picking up the 10 pin spare. However, rolled a 199 first game 157 second game and a 230. I was wanting to roll my first 600 sanctioned series and needed a 244 in the last game but choked. 586 series for the night and helped carry my team to a win by being 60 pins over my crappy average for the 3rd game.

Amyers
07-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Decent night Tuesday night. Had a lot of fun once again. Started the night of standing 12 targeting 7 with my ball speed at 17.2 mph. I was able to stay here for the first game and had to start moving left 2nd frame of 2nd game. By the end of the night I was standing 22 targeting 17 with my speed 16mph. Struggled to find a good line in the second game and had a hard time picking up the 10 pin spare. However, rolled a 199 first game 157 second game and a 230. I was wanting to roll my first 600 sanctioned series and needed a 244 in the last game but choked. 586 series for the night and helped carry my team to a win by being 60 pins over my crappy average for the 3rd game.

I wouldn't refer to 230 as a choke great game keep rolling like that you'll have that 600 series in no time.

TotallyDefiant
07-22-2014, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't refer to 230 as a choke great game keep rolling like that you'll have that 600 series in no time.

I choked in the 10th frame is what I was referring to. Anyhow, have league tonight. Anyone have any predictions on my scores?

TotallyDefiant
07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Not the best of nights lastnight. Rolled the ball great but just did not get any carry no matter what I tried. Rolled a 178 the first game with 1 strike and a bunch of 10 pin leaves. Picked up all but one spare that game. 2nd game was a little better on the carry but not much. I had 3 strikes and more 10 pin leaves and a few 7 pins. 196. Last game was another zero carry game. Pocket hit after pocket hit to leave a bunch of ten pins, 7 pins, and a few6,10 pin leaves. 173. Series of 547. Series average 182. Starting to get more consistent just need to start getting some carry.

TotallyDefiant
08-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Had one of my team mates sand my ball with a 4,000 grit before league lastnight to put a little surface on the ball and boy what a difference that made. The ball was a lot more predictable all night and had my best league series so far.

Rolled 199, 216, 222 for a 637 series. Everything I have been working on all league season is finally starting to come together. Lastnight was the last night of league and we have our Baker Tournament next week.

mc_runner
08-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Nice shooting, TD

fortheloveofbowling
08-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Nice shootin!

TotallyDefiant
08-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Thank you.