PDA

View Full Version : What is the most frustrating 'bowling issue' there is no solution for?

dnhoffman
06-15-2014, 05:41 PM
For example, getting your slide shoe wet. (Solution: shoe covers)

Thumb swelling (solution: IT products, tape, etc)

Just curious if there's anything out there that frustrates you all that can't current be fixed if you have enough money to throw at the problem.

RobLV1
06-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Bulging disc in back, and pain in the slide knee.

MICHAEL
06-15-2014, 06:10 PM
For example, getting your slide shoe wet. (Solution: shoe covers)

Thumb swelling (solution: IT products, tape, etc)

Just curious if there's anything out there that frustrates you all that can't current be fixed if you have enough money to throw at the problem.

Being a 220 or above bowler! NO AMOUNT of money can get me there I fear! Sure I will have my moments Big series, and individual games, but to consistently bowl at that level is not-a-going-to-HAPPEN!

And that's ok.... I am happy with an occasional 300, or 700, even high 700 games every now and then (:)

I might not even like having a 220 average..... might take the fun out of bowling,,,,,,,,,,, NO,,,,, I think that was sour grapes speaking!!!

classygranny
06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
obnoxious bowlers

Sorry, but I believe there are fixes for wet shoes, thumb swelling, and higher averages.

Ouch on the bulging disk...

mc_runner
06-15-2014, 08:39 PM
A couple:

- bad conditions. Sometimes you get stuck on the end lanes, or with someone heaving a house ball at 600 revs thumbless, etc
- obnoxious bowlers/ambiance - I don't really get bothered in open play, cause its open and for fun, but in league if someone doesn't give you lane courtesy or kicks the ball return, mopes around and swears at everyone/everything... i dunno, just kinda makes the night no fun. Why even bother if you're not gonna have fun? Most of these people are the "better" guys anyway - one guy in our men's league carries a 235 average and gets mad if he throws a light strike, and gets mad if he throws a high flush strike... and gets REALLY mad if he leaves a corner pin (you get the idea)

mc_runner
06-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Ooh, I forgot one, but kind of related to being obnoxious - people who take the "competition" way too seriously. My first year in the mens league we had a guy who would actively cheer against us making a spare, strike, etc - which I kind of understand if we were going for first place. Except when we played him, we were on position night and battling for... second to last place. When he yelled "MISS" at me on my 10th frame shot, possibly my greatest pleasure that year was staring at him after striking and yelling "NOPE... you gave me motivation not to".

Amyers
06-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Ooh, I forgot one, but kind of related to being obnoxious - people who take the "competition" way too seriously. My first year in the mens league we had a guy who would actively cheer against us making a spare, strike, etc - which I kind of understand if we were going for first place. Except when we played him, we were on position night and battling for... second to last place. When he yelled "MISS" at me on my 10th frame shot, possibly my greatest pleasure that year was staring at him after striking and yelling "NOPE... you gave me motivation not to".

Man talk about poor attitude and unsportsmanlike conduct.

RobLV1
06-15-2014, 09:18 PM
During last winter's almost scratch trios league, there was one team of very high average bowlers who made quite a show of rooting each other on at the expense of the opposing teams. It so happened that the anchor bowler on our team is deaf. One day when these idiots were obnoxiously rooting each other on at the top of their lungs, I decided to show them how rediculous it was, so when our anchor many was up on the approach I started yelling at the top of my lungs, "Come on, let's get 'em. Throw a strike! We've got 'em on the ropes, etc." I was really hoping that they'd get the fact that our bowler is deaf and couldn't hear a word I was saying, and see how obnoxious they were being. They didn't get it. Sad!

Amyers
06-15-2014, 09:20 PM
I have a few I'm actually pretty easy to get along with on the lanes. I have good concentration and people not showing lane curtesy and things like that don't bother me much as long as they stay in there lane. Here are mine.

#1. Sport shot guy- he believes firmly that the game on THS is too easy and if you don't average 220 on it you suck. Which would be okay except he has to tell you about it the entire time your bowling, refuses to join scratch leagues and complains that he doesn't join the pba leagues because he can't afford the extra balls but drives away in a Lexus.

#2. Two handed guy- I really don't care what style you bowl with I used to have a guy on my team that bowled with a shot put shot straight away from the chest who was moderately mentally imparted. Averaged about 160 that way some how. This guy though manages to finish in my lane instead of his and frames his shot and holds it for at least 20 seconds after it hits the pins.

#3. Girlfriend guy- this guys girl is new bowler on our league she needs serious help bowling. Instead of bringing her in to practice though it's time for coaching during leagues regardless of how many lanes she is away from where he's supposed to be bowling. So someone has to find him before each frame it would be okay if it was every now and then but it's every shot. He actually left last week before throwing his second ball because he didn't like her release.

rv driver
06-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Shrieking children and people who pick up the ball from the return willy-nilly after you've taken your stance, and then rush to the line ahead of you.

mike_thomas93
06-15-2014, 11:44 PM
I second that. Whether they're bowling on the same pair or a pair next to you. I'll let the children off the hook since they're just children, but yeah anyway, I develop that sometimes, as well

Sourtower
06-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Incompetent people who use your bowling ball instead of finding their own house ball while you're practicing. Especially after you ask them politely to stop using your bowling ball the first time and they keep using it, saying, 'You aren't using it right now anyways.'

rv driver
06-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Incompetent people who use your bowling ball instead of finding their own house ball while you're practicing. Especially after you ask them politely to stop using your bowling ball the first time and they keep using it, saying, 'You aren't using it right now anyways.'
That's never happened to me. That would just about warrant me wrestling it from their bony grasp, decking them upside the head with it, and asking them if they think I'm using it now?!

Amyers
06-16-2014, 12:13 AM

Wow that would take incredible stupidity or real guts my guess would be stupidity

Hampe
06-16-2014, 03:25 AM
Lol.....I have had open players reach for my ball, but after I go "hey, hey, hey! That's MY ball, not a house ball" and do the Mutombo finger wag, they usually get the point. Never had somebody inconsiderate enough to try and pick it up again after that.

I'd say the most frustrating thing for me that doesn't really have a solution is when the lanes are not well maintained (dirty back-ends for example), or when they have a lot of breakdowns and you have to keep waiting.

People who don't pay attention and are gabbing away for 2 minutes after they should have been bowling are also pretty annoying, but you can always say something to them. The guys who flip out and start hitting stuff I just ignore.....there's no point in paying any attention to them, and talking to them will only take you out of your own game.

Aslan
06-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Kinda surprised by all the anti-bowling alley dweller/ambiance type of issues. I mean, as a sport bowler, and an old skool fella...I'm as annoyed as anyone else by cosmic bowling, 2-handed bowling, thumbless bowling, and just general foolishness...BUT...I don't usually let it get to me.

For me, after thinking about it; I have 2.

1) I'll never bowl on TV. I'll never be good enough to compete at that level.
2) I'll never have a release (modern, inside-out, high speed-high rev cranker) that will allow me to be competitive at the highest level.

Amyers
06-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Kinda surprised by all the anti-bowling alley dweller/ambiance type of issues. I mean, as a sport bowler, and an old skool fella...I'm as annoyed as anyone else by cosmic bowling, 2-handed bowling, thumbless bowling, and just general foolishness...BUT...I don't usually let it get to me.

For me, after thinking about it; I have 2.

1) I'll never bowl on TV. I'll never be good enough to compete at that level.
2) I'll never have a release (modern, inside-out, high speed-high rev cranker) that will allow me to be competitive at the highest level.

I don't know about PBA/Major tournament level but I believe you will get that release up to mid-level at least you work to hard at it not too. although I do believe your going to have to make up your mind to do it and d*** the consequences over the short term.

If I was going to pick out things from my game I would have 2 also:

1. I don't know if I will ever be able to throw more than 4 or five shots in a row with out yanking one to the left even if I do get a Brooklyn strike out of it.
2. I don't know if I will ever be able to belly the ball out consistently for that big hook shot (not really necessary but it looks nice)

Aslan
06-16-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't know about PBA/Major tournament level but I believe you will get that release up to mid-level at least you work to hard at it not too. although I do believe your going to have to make up your mind to do it and d*** the consequences over the short term.

I don't think so. If you watch the pros and how they release the ball...with massive revolutions and a speed approaching 21mph...NOBODY in my or your league can do that. They "try" by "cheating". What I mean by that is...most crankers in leagues will almost bowl like a thumbless bowler where they try like "heck" to impart as many revolutions on the ball as possible...sort of like Mark Roth. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get speed that way because your main force is being applied on the upswing to get revolutions. Which is why thumbless bowlers tend to have lower speeds (14-17mph). They also tend to have lower accuracy because they are essentially playing horseshoes with the bowling ball.

If you watch old Earl Anthony video, you'll see that not only does he have a slower ball speed...but his release uses very little "hand"...almost a "suitcase release". His game was accuracy. He could hit parts of boards with consistency and his spare shooting was second to none. It HAD to be...because at that speed and those revs he doesn't get the carry that pro bowlers nowadays get.

While Earl passed away before reactive resin developed fully...bowlers like him and WRW weren't as affected negatively by the emerging technology because the technology simply enhanced their game giving them more hook downlane without having to develop a more cranker style release. They kept all the accuracy of their straight game...but got hook for "free".

But the "trick" in today's game is how to get carry and score big. That means speed and angle. Thats why 2-handed currently has an advantage (if it can be done accurately which is rare). Pros like Fagan and Barnes and Page...all these guys release the ball with a modern release and it hits the breakpoint and then slams into the pocket (like a 2-hander). That is VERY hard to do at 21mph. Without their release...the ball slams into the 6-pin or 10-pin. Without the speed...their rev rate pulls the ball too far left. It's a very impressive balance and those guys make it seem effortless.

Maybe you're right...maybe "someday" I figure it out. But at what cost? I can get good carry with my high speed/high loft game (similar to your style)...but inconsistently as my accuracy suffers. I can bowl like Earl...use very little hand, lower speed, let the ball do the work...but at the cost of speed and carry. The thing I don't think I'll ever master is that "sweet spot" that Fagan and Barnes have...high speed, high revs, perfect release.

Amyers
06-16-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't think so. If you watch the pros and how they release the ball...with massive revolutions and a speed approaching 21mph...NOBODY in my or your league can do that. They "try" by "cheating". What I mean by that is...most crankers in leagues will almost bowl like a thumbless bowler where they try like "heck" to impart as many revolutions on the ball as possible...sort of like Mark Roth. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get speed that way because your main force is being applied on the upswing to get revolutions. Which is why thumbless bowlers tend to have lower speeds (14-17mph). They also tend to have lower accuracy because they are essentially playing horseshoes with the bowling ball.

If you watch old Earl Anthony video, you'll see that not only does he have a slower ball speed...but his release uses very little "hand"...almost a "suitcase release". His game was accuracy. He could hit parts of boards with consistency and his spare shooting was second to none. It HAD to be...because at that speed and those revs he doesn't get the carry that pro bowlers nowadays get.

While Earl passed away before reactive resin developed fully...bowlers like him and WRW weren't as affected negatively by the emerging technology because the technology simply enhanced their game giving them more hook downlane without having to develop a more cranker style release. They kept all the accuracy of their straight game...but got hook for "free".

But the "trick" in today's game is how to get carry and score big. That means speed and angle. Thats why 2-handed currently has an advantage (if it can be done accurately which is rare). Pros like Fagan and Barnes and Page...all these guys release the ball with a modern release and it hits the breakpoint and then slams into the pocket (like a 2-hander). That is VERY hard to do at 21mph. Without their release...the ball slams into the 6-pin or 10-pin. Without the speed...their rev rate pulls the ball too far left. It's a very impressive balance and those guys make it seem effortless.

Maybe you're right...maybe "someday" I figure it out. But at what cost? I can get good carry with my high speed/high loft game (similar to your style)...but inconsistently as my accuracy suffers. I can bowl like Earl...use very little hand, lower speed, let the ball do the work...but at the cost of speed and carry. The thing I don't think I'll ever master is that "sweet spot" that Fagan and Barnes have...high speed, high revs, perfect release.

Well as I said mid level not PBA level the number of people on this planet that can throw like those guys is extremely limited. I do believe there is a balance spot there somewhere between 14 to 17 mph and 300 to 350 revs. That will enable you to be very successful maybe not PBA level but small local tournament with the occasional win or not embarrass yourself at state oh yah you can do that

You don't have to have 20 mph speed or 400-500 revs to kill most shots. I have been around the game long enough to watch enough people who have one or the other of these abilities most guys who get it up there in the 20's don't have the revs to create angle and they just blow the pins up look good when they hit perfectly other wise they leave a lot of 5-7 5-10 splits and it doesn't do them much good. those high rev guys don't have the speed and if things dry out they can keep it on the lanes (believe me I know I used to be rev dominate).

I know you have had accuracy issues with the lofting/higher speed release but there are other styles out there I'm not saying try to get 20mph or 400 revs. I truly believe those kind of numbers are actually counter productive for most bowlers except those rare few who can do both accurately which will most likely never be me or you. I think if you could get your speed up to 13mph not much and your revs up around 300 or even 250 you would see a large increase in your game. Have you ever tried suit casing your swing? One of our in house coaches was working with a woman the other day with this style of release she had wrist problems and just couldn't get up through the ball so he had her rotate her hand around the ball to where she was holding the ball like you would want to release just from the start. I talked with him about it after the lesson and basically he told me you won't develop high revs that way but it is much better than rolling over the thumb hole strait through the ball. She looked much better might be worth trying if you haven't.

rv driver
06-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Well as I said mid level not PBA level the number of people on this planet that can throw like those guys is extremely limited. I do believe there is a balance spot there somewhere between 14 to 17 mph and 300 to 350 revs. That will enable you to be very successful maybe not PBA level but small local tournament with the occasional win or not embarrass yourself at state oh yah you can do that

You don't have to have 20 mph speed or 400-500 revs to kill most shots. I have been around the game long enough to watch enough people who have one or the other of these abilities most guys who get it up there in the 20's don't have the revs to create angle and they just blow the pins up look good when they hit perfectly other wise they leave a lot of 5-7 5-10 splits and it doesn't do them much good. those high rev guys don't have the speed and if things dry out they can keep it on the lanes (believe me I know I used to be rev dominate).

I know you have had accuracy issues with the lofting/higher speed release but there are other styles out there I'm not saying try to get 20mph or 400 revs. I truly believe those kind of numbers are actually counter productive for most bowlers except those rare few who can do both accurately which will most likely never be me or you. I think if you could get your speed up to 13mph not much and your revs up around 300 or even 250 you would see a large increase in your game. Have you ever tried suit casing your swing? One of our in house coaches was working with a woman the other day with this style of release she had wrist problems and just couldn't get up through the ball so he had her rotate her hand around the ball to where she was holding the ball like you would want to release just from the start. I talked with him about it after the lesson and basically he told me you won't develop high revs that way but it is much better than rolling over the thumb hole strait through the ball. She looked much better might be worth trying if you haven't.
I've heard a lot of people talk about "suit casing" or "handshaking" the ball, but I was always taught (mind you, this was back in the day) to stay inside the ball. Is there new thinking, or a difference in release that the newer ball technology demands?

Hampe
06-17-2014, 10:54 AM
No, staying inside is still the generally accepted "proper" release.

Amyers
06-17-2014, 11:05 AM
I've heard a lot of people talk about "suit casing" or "handshaking" the ball, but I was always taught (mind you, this was back in the day) to stay inside the ball. Is there new thinking, or a difference in release that the newer ball technology demands?

No this is not the preferred method you should stay in behind the ball this is a suggestion for someone struggling to perform a standard release

tccstudent
06-17-2014, 11:09 AM
You don't have to have 20 mph speed or 400-500 revs to kill most shots. .

When you throw that hard you dont get very good pin action you are hitting the pins so hard they just clear the deck and are not able to get them to mix very well. This is one of my problems If I try and slow down then I lose accuracy

Aslan
06-17-2014, 12:56 PM
When you throw that hard you dont get very good pin action you are hitting the pins so hard they just clear the deck and are not able to get them to mix very well. This is one of my problems If I try and slow down then I lose accuracy

The average speed on the PBA tour is 20-21mph last time I checked.

mc_runner
06-17-2014, 01:23 PM
The average speed on the PBA tour is 20-21mph last time I checked.

At release... but at impact it's slowed down to 17-19. Always heard ideal speed was 16-19 or so - and when you get the speed up on the screen that should be speed at impact. Osku's 30mph spare ball doesn't count :cool:

rv driver
06-17-2014, 04:01 PM
No this is not the preferred method you should stay in behind the ball this is a suggestion for someone struggling to perform a standard release
Whew! Now my world makes sense again!

dnhoffman
06-19-2014, 06:27 PM
rv driver, I each kids to bowl and "handshake the ball," but i'd never coach anyone throwing a fingertipped ball to do it. You'll just spin the ball.

dnhoffman
06-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Also - I was kinda hoping for legitimate physical problems in this thread!

Guys - "The people around me annoy me" isn't a problem, it's an excuse...

rv driver
06-20-2014, 09:57 AM
rv driver, I each kids to bowl and "handshake the ball," but i'd never coach anyone throwing a fingertipped ball to do it. You'll just spin the ball.
Interesting! Never thrown a fingertip. Guess I won't be throwing the new one "handshake." (I never threw "handshake," anyway. Always threw middle finger straight ahead, wrist straight.

rv driver
06-20-2014, 09:57 AM

'K. Here's one: Aging bodies.

MICHAEL
06-20-2014, 10:26 AM

I get so TIRED of people giving me legitimate, and illegitimate excuses!! Man up and Woman up! I have a long list of legitimate physical problems!

Ra, Lupus, broken neck in 1992, herniated disk lower back, work related! I could go on about my feet, and the burring sensation that cause me to bowl in sandles when its at its peak pain wise. No disk in lower back due to heavy tools and equipment that I wore as an Iron Worker.....

I don't take any pain medication at all, all natural pain relievers, and it paying off, Everything is getting better.

I am always UP and bowing when it my turn to throw my flaming Ball of Fire!! (The Deadly Aim)!

A guy on my seniors league, was taking a long time between shots,,,, I walked over to him and said, Don,,, I would like to get home before the evening NEWS broadcast.

His reply: You have a quad by pass, and see how fast you move!

You know if that by-pass didn't help, and it slows you down to the speed of and 3 legged ant,,,,, GIVE IT UP! I have had many serious health issues that I have, and do deal with, but it doesn't slow me down!!! I FIGHT THEM, and don't rely much on medical doctors, and their drugs!!!

A huge difference between DRUGS that doctors prescribe, and MEDICINE, which mother nature supplies!

When I did go to the doctors, for lab tests, they called me an anomaly,,,, couldn't figure out how I was bowing and working out at the gym with the high levels of inflammation, related to RA, and Lupus!

They said there was NO CURE..... I proved them WRONG! Its been almost 10 years, and NO DURGS,,, JUST MOTHER NATURE, and exercise working out.

My knees that they thought would have to be replace with rods, are now just this year, LIKE NEW!! I mean when I started 3 years ago, there were times I thought I would not be able to complete the 3 games on league day. Did ICEMAN complain,,, HELL NO! I am a fighter, I never give up, and welcome a battle!

SO DON'T COMPLAIN about your physical aliments to ICE,,,, I don't want to HEAR it, and you won't EVER hear about mine, least not on the field of battle!! LOL

Man up and Woman up.... deal with the pain! FIX what you can, through diet, exercise, and good pure water, and natural supplements...

I don't want to hear a bunch of excuses,,,, do what it takes to help YOUR BODY to heal itself!

WOW,,, ICEMAN FEELS BETTER NOW,,, I needed to vent, being on two seniors leagues this summer, I get bombarded with health issues, and excuses every Wednesdays, and Friday!

ICEMAN is not a Ding Dong,,, I realize there might be some medical issues that CAN'T be resolved, but doesn't mean I want to HEAR ABOUT IT!

Senior leagues can WEAR YOU OUT!!

Bunny
06-20-2014, 01:26 PM
OMG-Screamers. I just joined a Friday night league. I was on the approach and all of a sudden this lady screams at the top of her lungs. The sound pierced my eardrum and went directly to my brainstem, causing me to shudder. I had to walk off the approach and gather myself.

One guy then explained that it's some teachers that are on summer break and one of them is a screamer.

WTH? I had to make sure I bowled after the lady so I didn't get stunned from her shrieking.

Bunny
06-20-2014, 01:42 PM
I get so TIRED of people giving me legitimate, and illegitimate excuses!! Man up and Woman up! I have a long list of legitimate physical problems!

Ra, Lupus, broken neck in 1992, herniated disk lower back, work related! I could go on about my feet, and the burring sensation that cause me to bowl in sandles when its at its peak pain wise. No disk in lower back due to heavy tools and equipment that I wore as an Iron Worker.....

I don't take any pain medication at all, all natural pain relievers, and it paying off, Everything is getting better.

I am always UP and bowing when it my turn to throw my flaming Ball of Fire!! (The Deadly Aim)!

A guy on my seniors league, was taking a long time between shots,,,, I walked over to him and said, Don,,, I would like to get home before the evening NEWS broadcast.

His reply: You have a quad by pass, and see how fast you move!

You know if that by-pass didn't help, and it slows you down to the speed of and 3 legged ant,,,,, GIVE IT UP! I have had many serious health issues that I have, and do deal with, but it doesn't slow me down!!! I FIGHT THEM, and don't rely much on medical doctors, and their drugs!!!

A huge difference between DRUGS that doctors prescribe, and MEDICINE, which mother nature supplies!

When I did go to the doctors, for lab tests, they called me an anomaly,,,, couldn't figure out how I was bowing and working out at the gym with the high levels of inflammation, related to RA, and Lupus!

They said there was NO CURE..... I proved them WRONG! Its been almost 10 years, and NO DURGS,,, JUST MOTHER NATURE, and exercise working out.

My knees that they thought would have to be replace with rods, are now just this year, LIKE NEW!! I mean when I started 3 years ago, there were times I thought I would not be able to complete the 3 games on league day. Did ICEMAN complain,,, HELL NO! I am a fighter, I never give up, and welcome a battle!

SO DON'T COMPLAIN about your physical aliments to ICE,,,, I don't want to HEAR it, and you won't EVER hear about mine, least not on the field of battle!! LOL

Man up and Woman up.... deal with the pain! FIX what you can, through diet, exercise, and good pure water, and natural supplements...

I don't want to hear a bunch of excuses,,,, do what it takes to help YOUR BODY to heal itself!

WOW,,, ICEMAN FEELS BETTER NOW,,, I needed to vent, being on two seniors leagues this summer, I get bombarded with health issues, and excuses every Wednesdays, and Friday!

ICEMAN is not a Ding Dong,,, I realize there might be some medical issues that CAN'T be resolved, but doesn't mean I want to HEAR ABOUT IT!

Senior leagues can WEAR YOU OUT!!

Well you kind of asked for it with your snarky comment to the poor guy.

You've also had some health issues and it took time to get better, to heal, to recover.

Maybe have a little empathy for people that are in that same position.

You never know what people have gone through or are going through. Be kind.

Or maybe a genuine, "Wow. Sorry to hear that you had to go through that. I've been through some serious health issues myself and have overcome them with whole foods, natural products, exercise, etc. If you ever want to talk about it sometime I'd be happy to share my experience with you."

:)

Aslan
06-21-2014, 11:02 PM
I think my biggest issue now is with my own team.

The guys are fairly new to league bowling and they have this tendency to "race" through shots. What I mean is, as soon as it is their turn…they are up and firing…and by the time the pin sweep bar is going up…they are already in their stance ready to go again!

Earlier this season they got irritated because they said bowling was taking longer than they had thought it would. It takes like 3-3.5 hours to bowl on league night (5-person teams). I told them that was usual and they seemed all disappointed.

It's hard for me to relate to people that think bowling seasons are too long or bowling in leagues take too long…because I have nothing better to do than bowl. I can't afford too many hobbies right now…so bowling is sort of "it". If I wasn't bowling, I'd be on the couch watching TV or fighting with the future ex wife.

I mean, I asked these guys if they weren't bowling on league night, what else would they be doing at 6:00PM on a Tuesday? I mean, these are old , married men…their lives for the most part are over at this point. So they are bowling and laughing and having a good time but they want that to end so they can go home, watch a half hour of the news on TV, and go to bed early?

I mean, if bowling isn't something you don't want to last as long as possible…why bowl?

MICHAEL
06-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Well you kind of asked for it with your snarky comment to the poor guy.

You've also had some health issues and it took time to get better, to heal, to recover.

Maybe have a little empathy for people that are in that same position.

You never know what people have gone through or are going through. Be kind.

Or maybe a genuine, "Wow. Sorry to hear that you had to go through that. I've been through some serious health issues myself and have overcome them with whole foods, natural products, exercise, etc. If you ever want to talk about it sometime I'd be happy to share my experience with you."

:)\

I don't CARE what they have been through.... and I don't want to HEAR ABOUT IT! Either Bowl, in a timely manor, or get into a sport like twiddle-winks.
If I ever get to a point where it takes me as long it, did this guy, I will hang it up!
You know the WORSE part about being on a seniors league, is bowing with seniors!

Main subject of conversation, besides talking about Aslan and his comments on this web site, is HEALTH ISSUES! Body Part replacements ect ect!

I swear to the lord almighty if one more senior comes up to me, ( a senior also), and starts talking about hip or knee replacements, I will MELT! Ice

Seniors ,,,,, MAN UP,,, or Woman up!! ICE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT,,,, its aging ME!!!! (:)

rv driver
06-22-2014, 02:09 PM
\

I don't CARE what they have been through.... and I don't want to HEAR ABOUT IT! Either Bowl, in a timely manor, or get into a sport like twiddle-winks.
If I ever get to a point where it takes me as long it, did this guy, I will hang it up!
You know the WORSE part about being on a seniors league, is bowing with seniors!

Main subject of conversation, besides talking about Aslan and his comments on this web site, is HEALTH ISSUES! Body Part replacements ect ect!

I swear to the lord almighty if one more senior comes up to me, ( a senior also), and starts talking about hip or knee replacements, I will MELT! Ice

Seniors ,,,,, MAN UP,,, or Woman up!! ICE DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT,,,, its aging ME!!!! (:)
The question was "frustration for which there is no solution." When one is involved in physical activities that demand performance, advancing age is always a frustration because it means decreased performance. Perhaps, if you'd bowled when you were younger, you would now notice a more pronounced decrease in your performance, and you would find it frustrating. As it is, you're merely frustrated with the concerns of others, and that can be solved: Don't bowl with them.

classygranny
06-22-2014, 10:04 PM
ICEMAN, all I can say is please never come to Phoenix and bowl on my Friday morning league. While it is not classified as a senior league, most of the people are over 60 and some are in their late 80s. It is the best league I have ever bowled on. We have some that throw the ball so slow, that yes, you could probably throw two balls in that amount of time. One bowler bowls with a wheelchair access to the foul line, stands (on his one leg, as the other is missing from the knee down) and throws the ball. My tournament doubles partner uses a one/two step approach due to weakness in the knees/legs. Two are recovering stroke victims and are slow to the line.

Aging is something we need to learn to embrace (as it WILL happen). I so enjoy talking to the "seniors" as their life experiences usually trump mine right out the door. Yes, we have a few that tend to talk medical/ailments, you just learn to listen for a bit, then change the subject. Also, I've learned that listening to some of their ailments have given me insight on issues that I haven't been around, and you know, some day that information might be handy.

While I enjoy your insights on this forum, I must say that I am so glad I don't bowl with you or have to spend much time with you, as I tend to pick my friends based on the way that they look at life, at the people around them - and I would need someone with a bit more patience than you seem to expend towards aging bowlers.

So, I guess you could add "impatient with aging bowlers" to my list of frustrations. - But here again-not physical, and thus this would be correctable.

Sourtower
06-22-2014, 10:44 PM
I think my biggest frustration is people who take the fun out of bowling. We bowl because we enjoy the sport, not because we have a gun to our head that forces us to do it. On league nights, there's always somebody is a poor sport or who tries to make subtle distractions. I noticed my team got caught in being upset about their own bowling scores and it carried from the 1st through the 3rd game. Since then I've been able to lighten up the mood and we were able to beat the #1 team last we 2 games to 1. We need to take things back to the basics sometimes and remember why we bowl in the first place. We bowl because we have fun doing it.

rv driver
06-23-2014, 09:00 AM
I used to be my own worst enemy on the lanes. I'd take my own performance so seriously that I stopped enjoying what I was doing. Had to be the best. Had to be perfect. i think this time around, I'll simply enjoy the game and be done with it.