PDA

View Full Version : First joint of the middle finger problems

zdawg
06-18-2014, 02:56 AM
This started a few months ago when I threw a backup ball while practicing, and I think the finger got trapped and bent more than normal. Anyway, now I have a tiny lump on the right side of that first joint of my middle finger on my bowling/right hand - and while that doesn't bother me it does get sore/painful sometimes while bowling, sometimes afterwards.

Sometimes I take a thin piece of athletic tape and tape it around the joint to prevent it from bending the wrong way by adding stability. I suspect that the fingertip holes need to be enlarged, just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

Amyers
06-18-2014, 10:01 AM
you may have torn a ligament or tendon you really should see a doctor if the lump has lasted this long. Do you have the lump all of the time or only after bowling for a while?

tccstudent
06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I have a pretty good calus in that spot and what causes mine is I like tight finger grips to give me a little extra rev

It does get sore and tender at times but never affects me during bowling

Amyers
06-18-2014, 10:31 AM
I have a pretty good calus in that spot and what causes mine is I like tight finger grips to give me a little extra rev

It does get sore and tender at times but never affects me during bowling

I have calluses on the back of my ring finger and the first knuckle on my middle finger. They don't really ever bother me though. Does it look like a callus or something else?

Sourtower
06-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Can you describe the bump more or post a picture? If its a callus, you can buy a callus shaver from the store for cheap, or even use a nail file to shave it down. If its sore/painful though, it could be more serious and then definitely might need to ice it down and rest it. If the condition persists, I would recommend going to see an orthopaedic doctor to see how bad it is.

Shaneshu87
06-18-2014, 12:50 PM
hmm the closest thing i have experienced is when i made jumps in my ball weight, 14-15, 15-16... every time i did it this i experienced some minor pain in both fingers for a shot time eventually it went away. i have a friend that has experienced something somewhat similar except it happened to his middle knuckle, he said it popped while throwing a two handed ball and it is now much bigger than normal and it has been that way for a few years, it does not cause him pain or prevent him from throwing two handed

zdawg
06-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Its might be a callous, I do have a massive callous on the left side of that finger because I grew up in the era where we still used pens and pencils for taking notes :p.

The soreness seems like its coming from inside the joint though, I suppose it might be worth getting xrayed to make sure there is nothing wrong with the bone itself - basically it started when the fingertip bent sideways a bit too much I think (at opposed to forward/backward like its supposed to move). Its not always sore, but it has been since bowling last week, it doesn't usually affect my bowling per se, but some weeks like this one I notice it and was just wondering what it might be.

rv driver
06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
How old are you, Zdawg? A nodule on the side of the first finger joint could indicate arthritis.

classygranny
06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
How old are you, Zdawg? A nodule on the side of the first finger joint could indicate arthritis.

Which actually, doesn't have to have age as a factor. (A dear friend of the family is suffering from RA at the age of 24.) If it doesn't go away SOON, you should think about having it checked out.

rv driver
06-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Which actually, doesn't have to have age as a factor. (A dear friend of the family is suffering from RA at the age of 24.) If it doesn't go away SOON, you should think about having it checked out.
You're right, of course. But it's rarer in younger individuals.

Perrin
06-19-2014, 03:22 PM
I used to have a lump at the base (palm side) if my middle finger. it woudl occasionally get tender but usually had not effect on me.
Come to find out my balls were all drilled with a span ~1/4 inch too long and I was actually damaging the tendon.
years ago I dislocated my thumb playing softball... 1.5 years later after it still being stiff and having a lump I got it looked at by a doctor come to find out I had actually broken it and the broken piece of bone healed out of position and had carved out over 50% of the cartilage in the knuckle....

TLDR: get it looked at. you may have damaged something