PDA

View Full Version : layout help

Shaneshu87
06-19-2014, 12:31 PM
ok bowling guru's. i am struggling to control any of my equipment two of the house i shoot at. i am a med rev player with a high track, my current balls are just to aggressive for these houses they are wood lanes. so i dug up and old black widow pearl and i am wanting to put an experimental drill on it for length, i have heard pro's and con's to the Rico layout and i am interested in learning a bit more about it but i cannot find any drill sheets on google. any other suggestions?

bowl1820
06-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Heres the info on the rico

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=181&Itemid=47

Also brunsnicks site

http://www.brunsnick.com/rico_ball_layout.html

Perrin
06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Rico is one of those patterns that you either love or hate. it does differnt things for different people.

bowl1820
06-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Rico is one of those patterns that you either love or hate. it does differnt things for different people.

The big trouble with the rico is a lot of people think they have a rico layout and they really don't.

Shaneshu87
06-19-2014, 03:33 PM
after reading about it i do not think it is the layout i want, i was under the impression that this layout was designed for getting more length on the ball. that is what i'm looking for, for a 32ft house pattern on wood lanes i don't want to buy a Urethane or pancake core. i'm just looking for a long ball with nasty backend, hence my choice in the widow ball so what do you think? pin up?

Amyers
06-19-2014, 03:44 PM
after reading about it i do not think it is the layout i want, i was under the impression that this layout was designed for getting more length on the ball. that is what i'm looking for, for a 32ft house pattern on wood lanes i don't want to buy a Urethane or pancake core. i'm just looking for a long ball with nasty backend, hence my choice in the widow ball so what do you think? pin up?

I'm no expert but that seems like an awfully strong ball for that short of a pattern. If I was going to use it I think it would be pin down control drilling for that pattern.

Amyers
06-19-2014, 03:48 PM
If my understanding is correct and I'm sure bowl1820 will correct me if I'm wrong the purpose of the RICO layout is to remove the core from influencing the roll of the ball so it is more responsive to how much hand you put into it and they roll more easily and quickly.

Shaneshu87
06-19-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm no expert but that seems like an awfully strong ball for that short of a pattern. If I was going to use it I think it would be pin down control drilling for that pattern.

yeah... what can i say i'm a BIG fan of the Widow series, i have them all but "THE" Black Widow NIB and multiple others. for me i just know i can trust their reaction, i know what to expect when i let the ball go. and honestly my driller only charges $5 a hole to plug and redrill, so i though why not experiment on a pearl. i'm kind of thinking maybe a skid flip layout would get me the best length, but i have never thrown a skid flip and i hear they're tricky to throw it correctly

Shaneshu87
06-19-2014, 04:11 PM
If my understanding is correct and I'm sure bowl1820 will correct me if I'm wrong the purpose of the RICO layout is to remove the core from influencing the roll of the ball so it is more responsive to how much hand you put into it and they roll more easily and quickly.

from the links provided below it sounds like it is designed for lower rev players, and it gives symmetrical balls an asymmetrical reaction

dnhoffman
06-19-2014, 06:35 PM

32 ft pattern?

What is this, a bowling alley for ANTS? /zoolander.

That's a very short pattern, and if you [truly] have medium revs, then you're really looking for something closer to a urethane or a low-flare hybrid maybe.

I would consult a pro shop (particularly if there's one at this miniature bowling alley you go to, because they're probably used to this!)

Amyers
06-19-2014, 07:07 PM
from the links provided below it sounds like it is designed for lower rev players, and it gives symmetrical balls an asymmetrical reaction

Shane, you might want to check on that I could be wrong sometimes I get confused but I think it's exactly opposite of that

bowl1820
06-19-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm Guessing you might be rev dominate with a low tilt, so I'd think you'd might want to go with the smoother transitions of a symmetrical ball, With a high Rg, medium to lower differential and a long Pin to PAP for more length.

Plus you would use layouts with larger angle sums for the shorter patterns and lower volumes of oil.

You could also try a asymmetric with a shorter Pin to PAP distance.

on the rico, brunsnick's says it the simplest "This layout is used simply for stability and a predictable ball reaction." I don't think it would help you in this instance.

Bunny
06-19-2014, 08:44 PM
32 ft pattern?

It's center for kids that don't know how to bowl good and stuff. ;)

Shaneshu87
06-19-2014, 09:51 PM
32 ft pattern?

That's a very short pattern, and if you [truly] have medium revs, then you're really looking for something closer to a urethane or a low-flare hybrid maybe.

I would consult a pro shop (particularly if there's one at this miniature bowling alley you go to, because they're probably used to this!)

lol yes this is a very old house only eight lanes and it is very close quarters so you do feel giant sized, yes he uses 32 feet but that is because his lane surfacer is older than me and it dumps oil on pretty heavy so the first 32 feet are like ice. i am low rev but i'm also low budget lol the wife hates it when i spend money on a new ball so i try to reuse as much as i can first and since these lanes a known for scuffing up every ball i figure there is no sense in buying a new one just for this house. and nobody i know has a used urethane locally and i really don't trust online used sales.

Shaneshu87
06-19-2014, 09:54 PM

lol i would love to invite you to come bowl at the ant lanes, where nobody knows how to bowl except the owner/operator. 32 feet sucks, then add the fact that the oil is level from gutter to gutter and all the carry down, there is no consistency on these lanes unless you throw a plastic ball straight up the center arrow

Amyers
06-19-2014, 09:55 PM
lol yes this is a very old house only eight lanes and it is very close quarters so you do feel giant sized, yes he uses 32 feet but that is because his lane surfacer is older than me and it dumps oil on pretty heavy so the first 32 feet are like ice. i am low rev but i'm also low budget lol the wife hates it when i spend money on a new ball so i try to reuse as much as i can first and since these lanes a known for scuffing up every ball i figure there is no sense in buying a new one just for this house. and nobody i know has a used urethane locally and i really don't trust online used sales.

This sounds like the pattern I used to bowl on 20 years ago. The best thing I ever found for it was pearl urethane. You might find one laying around as a house ball somewhere. I had a blue pearl urethane ha ever that was magic on that stuff

dnhoffman
06-20-2014, 10:28 PM

Bunny,

You get my humor and you bowl, if your husband ever leaves you, send me a pm ;)

MICHAEL
06-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Bunny,

Wow.... dnhoffman,,,!!! Hitting on a married woman, ( in a way )! Behave yourself, your from Missouri!!! LOL

dnhoffman
06-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Wow.... dnhoffman,,,!!! Hitting on a married woman, ( in a way )! Behave yourself, your from Missouri!!! LOL

Cramping my e-style bro...

Bunny
06-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Bunny,

Lol! But just so you know, I draw the line at hallucinogenic, midget orgies. :)

All kidding aside we just celebrated our 22nd Wedding Anniversary.

Isn't that reactive resin year?

Jaescrub
06-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Hoffman must have seen bunnys pic she posted and not seen her husbands. Watch what you say ;) ha ha ha

tccstudent
06-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Lol! But just so you know, I draw the line at hallucinogenic, midget orgies. :)

Holy Poo Batman that sounds like a freaky fun time

rv driver
06-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Holy Poo Batman that sounds like a freaky fun time
It's all due to the tea...

tccstudent
06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
It's all due to the tea...

are you talking about shroom tea never had it

we always used kool ade

ormond pro shop
06-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Everyone has great options but on that short of a pattern you will need to ball down and the ball you have is not the one.
If you want to try another option talk to your Pro Shop guy about going away on your fingers this will make you come out faster and not hit up on your fingers.
Talk to your Pro Shop guy about other options maybe a trade for a urethane just like the other guys said that would be your best choice for that pattern.

Shaneshu87
06-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Everyone has great options but on that short of a pattern you will need to ball down and the ball you have is not the one.
If you want to try another option talk to your Pro Shop guy about going away on your fingers this will make you come out faster and not hit up on your fingers.
Talk to your Pro Shop guy about other options maybe a trade for a urethane just like the other guys said that would be your best choice for that pattern.

yeah that is what i'm leaning towards problem is finding a urethane ball... nobody around here uses one because they all think they need to be pros and buy "the most aggressive ball on the market" lol this is where i usually come out like a bandit lol nabbed a deadly aim single drill $30 and and assassin single drill $45 lol

Amyers
06-23-2014, 10:07 PM
yeah that is what i'm leaning towards problem is finding a urethane ball... nobody around here uses one because they all think they need to be pros and buy "the most aggressive ball on the market" lol this is where i usually come out like a bandit lol nabbed a deadly aim single drill $30 and and assassin single drill $45 lol

It's hard to believe there are none out on the racks in your center as house balls. Most of the time when people get rid of there balls around here they leave them at the alleys for house use. I bet there are 7 blue hammers and probably 5 or 6 rhinos laying around there. I even noticed an old Colombia scout there today which is a resin ball but still very low hooking.

rv driver
06-23-2014, 10:49 PM
are you talking about shroom tea never had it

we always used kool ade
But only while bathing off the coast of St. Bart's with spider monkeys...

Amyers
06-23-2014, 11:10 PM
But only while bathing off the coast of St. Bart's with spider monkeys...

Okay I'm not even going to pretend to understand where this thread is going drinking in the tropics with monkeys I don't need to know more

rv driver
06-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Okay I'm not even going to pretend to understand where this thread is going drinking in the tropics with monkeys I don't need to know more
All references to Zoolander, following the comment about hallucinogenic, midget orgies.

Amyers
06-24-2014, 12:26 AM
All references to Zoolander, following the comment about hallucinogenic, midget orgies.

Oh okay not a big movie guy

rv driver
06-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Oh okay not a big movie guy
"Bathing with spider monkeys on St. Bart's" is kind of like throwing an 800 series...

Bunny
06-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Started with dhoffman's comment about a 32ft pattern being at a center for ants.

:cool:

Bunny
06-24-2014, 05:38 PM
"Bathing with spider monkeys on St. Bart's" is kind of like throwing an 800 series...

Hansel. He's soooo hot right now.

dnhoffman
06-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Started with dhoffman's comment about a 32ft pattern being at a center for ants.

:cool:

How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to bowl... if they can't even fit inside the building?

Bunny
06-24-2014, 07:41 PM
How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to bowl... if they can't even fit inside the building?

The building has to be at least three times bigger than this!

Now if you'll excuse me I have an after funeral party to attend. :p

rv driver
06-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Hansel. He's soooo hot right now.
Hansel.

rv driver
06-24-2014, 08:35 PM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

rv driver
06-24-2014, 08:38 PM
The building has to be at least three times bigger than this!

Now if you'll excuse me I have an after funeral party to attend. :p
This doesn't mean that we, too, can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

Bunny
06-24-2014, 08:58 PM
This doesn't mean that we, too, can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

Now I'm craving ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCINOS!

Sorry Shane, we totally hijacked your thread. Luckily, Bowl1820 answered your question lightning fast as usual!

Shaneshu87
06-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Now I'm craving ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCINOS!

Sorry Shane, we totally hijacked your thread. Luckily, Bowl1820 answered your question lightning fast as usual!

as long as you read my ugoogaly

dnhoffman
06-26-2014, 08:33 AM
I wasn't like every other kid, you know, who dreams about being an astronaut, I was always more interested in what bark was made out of on a tree. Richard Gere's a real hero of mine. Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that. I care desperately about what I do. Do I know what product I'm selling? No. Do I know what I'm doing today? No. But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot.

rv driver
06-26-2014, 11:01 AM
I wasn't like every other kid, you know, who dreams about being an astronaut, I was always more interested in what bark was made out of on a tree. Richard Gere's a real hero of mine. Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that. I care desperately about what I do. Do I know what product I'm selling? No. Do I know what I'm doing today? No. But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot.
Hansel... he's so hot right now. Hansel.