PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Tournaments

fortheloveofbowling
06-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Anyone have any tournaments coming up that you are preparing for or thinking about entering?

Hampe
06-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Yea, this weekend :).

I had a training session with my coach yesterday and Tuesday, so I'm feeling pretty ready to go. It's a singles tournament here in Basel with 12 game qualification, which can feel like a marathon towards the end of the block. There's usually about 80-100 people signed up, but for some reason only about 50-60 this year :(.

I also got a company sport tournament in Mannheim, Germany coming up next weekend which will be my wife's first ever tournament :D. That tournament has trios and doubles, and your individual score during the trio is used as qualification for a singles final (which is separated into divisions based on average). I'm doing two double starts with my wife, one with my normal doubles partner, and a trio with my doubles partner and his wife.

tccstudent
06-26-2014, 07:12 AM
I got a 8game sweeper on the 4th of July that I am bowling

MICHAEL
06-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Last year in this tournament, 3 of my friends won big money! Winner was Pat Henderson and his partner Rick! 4000.00 each! Second place was MY GOOD friend Jason, and Adam, ( who were at my gamer party last week)! They won 3000.00 each.

In that AMF Big 22, I did see Jason, (The Dude) pick up a crucial spare that actually kept him advancing in that tournament early on.... IT WAS THE 7 / 10 split!!!
If he would have missed that shot, he would not have advanced, and not won the second place BIG BUCKS! Adam who had a low average, was ON THAT DAY and also
a huge reason why they did get second.

I have several good friends in it this year, including Geno2u,,, (gene and his wife) They both just purchased a new ball for the tournament! Gene the Deadly Aim, and Mary the Storm Marvel!

I wish I would have stayed in that league this year! Especially since that Deadly Aim has turn out to be ONE Heck of a ball for Ice! As I have mentioned the last two outings a 235 average.... I can't wait to see what happens next time out!

I am sure I won't keep it up, but then I would be happy if it drops to 215... a goal I would like to achieve this summer with Gene, Mary, and my wife. (Ice cakes)!! LOL

I hope one of the many friends I know will be there, wins big again this year. The pay off is not bad at all even further down! James the driller, won I believe around 600.00 bucks.

I will post results... GOOD LUCK TO ALL of you bowling in other tournaments!!

GOOD LUCK Hampe,,, to you and your wife!!!

GOOD LUCK tccstudent clean house!!

Hampe
06-30-2014, 07:11 AM
I had a training session with my coach yesterday and Tuesday, so I'm feeling pretty ready to go. It's a singles tournament here in Basel with 12 game qualification, which can feel like a marathon towards the end of the block. There's usually about 80-100 people signed up, but for some reason only about 50-60 this year :(.Well, I guess those two last minute training sessions with my coach paid off....I ended up winning the tournament this weekend :). I finished the 12 game qualification in 3rd place, and then on Sunday played really well in the first 4 game session to move into 1st with a decent sized lead. The second 4 game session Sunday didn't go so well, but it seemed a lot of people were struggling with the lanes (with a few exceptions); I entered the step-ladder final in first place.

Finishing first ended up being a pretty big advantage, it was REALLY hot in the center and most people were sweating and tired from playing 20 games in 2 days in those conditions. I got to relax and kind of regroup after struggling the previous 4 games while the other guys had to keep playing. I also had a little luck in the final, the guy who finished 3rd bowls thumbless, and he advanced to play the guy in 2nd place (who is a pretty great bowler and the only one in the final I was worried about at all). The second place guy had a bad game though so the thumbless player advanced to play me in the 1st place game. I think he started to cramp up a little bit (a lot of strain on your forearm with no thumb, and like I said it was really hot), and he just couldn't get anything going against me. I felt pretty good after the 30 minute break, and started off really strong 9/, turkey, 9/, and already had a 57 point lead after 5 frames. From there it was just a simple coast to the finish line.

It was my first Swiss tournament win, and I didn't feel too bad about getting "lucky" in the final, since that's the kind of "luck" you earn after winning the first 20 games :).

Amyers
06-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Well, I guess those two last minute training sessions with my coach paid off....I ended up winning the tournament this weekend :). I finished the 12 game qualification in 3rd place, and then on Sunday played really well in the first 4 game session to move into 1st with a decent sized lead. The second 4 game session Sunday didn't go so well, but it seemed a lot of people were struggling with the lanes (with a few exceptions); I entered the step-ladder final in first place.

Finishing first ended up being a pretty big advantage, it was REALLY hot in the center and most people were sweating and tired from playing 20 games in 2 days in those conditions. I got to relax and kind of regroup after struggling the previous 4 games while the other guys had to keep playing. I also had a little luck in the final, the guy who finished 3rd bowls thumbless, and he advanced to play the guy in 2nd place (who is a pretty great bowler and the only one in the final I was worried about at all). The second place guy had a bad game though so the thumbless player advanced to play me in the 1st place game. I think he started to cramp up a little bit (a lot of strain on your forearm with no thumb, and like I said it was really hot), and he just couldn't get anything going against me. I felt pretty good after the 30 minute break, and started off really strong 9/, turkey, 9/, and already had a 57 point lead after 5 frames. From there it was just a simple coast to the finish line.

It was my first Swiss tournament win, and I didn't feel too bad about getting "lucky" in the final, since that's the kind of "luck" you earn after winning the first 20 games :).

Congratulations Nothing better than a hard fought victory

Aslan
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Anyone have any tournaments coming up that you are preparing for or thinking about entering?

Well, there's the VBT...which everyone should be excited about and participating in.

But other than that, no, I've given up bowling the tournament circuit temporarily while I work out a rather significant kink in game. kink = I suck really bad and am unable to compete

rv driver
06-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Well, I guess those two last minute training sessions with my coach paid off....I ended up winning the tournament this weekend :). I finished the 12 game qualification in 3rd place, and then on Sunday played really well in the first 4 game session to move into 1st with a decent sized lead. The second 4 game session Sunday didn't go so well, but it seemed a lot of people were struggling with the lanes (with a few exceptions); I entered the step-ladder final in first place.

Congrats! I've never bowled a tournament, but I've been part of other tournaments. Feels great, doesn't it! Ausgezeichnet!

tccstudent
06-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Congrats! I've never bowled a tournament, but I've been part of other tournaments. Feels great, doesn't it! Ausgezeichnet!

You live right there where one of the biggest tournaments in this part of the country is held put together a team for it next year

rv driver
06-30-2014, 01:16 PM
You live right there where one of the biggest tournaments in this part of the country is held put together a team for it next year
The Greater Ozarks Open? Yeah, I'd thought about it, but chances are I'll be relocating before then. :-(

BTW, may be relocating to OKC. Know any good centers there?

fortheloveofbowling
06-30-2014, 01:42 PM

Congrats on your win Hampe!!

mc_runner
07-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Congrats! Sounds like you've been doing pretty well on the tournament circuit recently!

Hampe
07-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the congrats everybody! (and also the good luck wishes before)

Congrats! Sounds like you've been doing pretty well on the tournament circuit recently!Yea....2013-14 has been my most successful season by far. If our local official's calculation is correct, I've raised my official Swiss average this season from 173 to 190, which will just barely put me in Category "A" next year :) (I was in "C" the last 2 years).

I wish I had been able to do even more tournaments though....this year I made a huge improvement and my handicap hadn't quite caught up yet. Should have taken better advantage of that than I did :). At the start of the season my handicap was still 17, and probably when it gets re-calculated on June 30th it will be around 6 for next season.

MICHAEL
07-01-2014, 11:31 AM

NICE,,,,, VERY nice,,,, soon you will be READY for ICEMAN!! LOL Great job bud!!

Bunny
07-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Yea, this weekend :).

I had a training session with my coach yesterday and Tuesday, so I'm feeling pretty ready to go. It's a singles tournament here in Basel with 12 game qualification, which can feel like a marathon towards the end of the block. There's usually about 80-100 people signed up, but for some reason only about 50-60 this year :(.

I also got a company sport tournament in Mannheim, Germany coming up next weekend which will be my wife's first ever tournament :D. That tournament has trios and doubles, and your individual score during the trio is used as qualification for a singles final (which is separated into divisions based on average). I'm doing two double starts with my wife, one with my normal doubles partner, and a trio with my doubles partner and his wife.

Nice bowling! You're on a "roll" lately. ;)

Have fun with the wife! Let us know how you do.

We're looking into going to The USBC Mixed Open in Reno next year.

Hampe
07-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Well, as anyone who competes at something regularly knows, "You can't win 'em all" :). I played pretty good for the most part this weekend, just had some bad shots or bad breaks at the wrong time (i.e. 9th or 10th frame). I was very consistent though, I did 4 4 game series, and they were all between 757 and 769 (about 191 avg.). In a different format I probably would have made at least the first cut, but in these company sport tournaments you have about 30-50 people per category playing multiple starts and only the top 6 make the final, so a "good" series isn't going to make the cut.

My buddy and his wife didn't have such a great series during our trio (both played between 170-180 avg), and we only ended up 14th (top ten trios made the trio final). My wife and I didn't really have a chance to win either, since it was scratch and she averages about 110 at the moment. But in our second double start we made an agreement that since we couldn't make the top ten, we'd at least make sure we'd get out of the bottom 10, which we accomplished (39th out of 52 :)).

It was a fun time up until the awards ceremony, where after giving out the awards to the top 7 doubles, they gave out an award for the worst double, which was my wife and my buddy's wife and she had to go up to the front and get a prize (she was NOT happy about it). But she was a good sport about it at least, I was proud of her for that. I was also proud of how she played....our second double she had 129 avg. and was playing well enough that she could have had a lot more (she had a lot of solid pocket hits that only got 9 pins). You can tell she's getting better and getting the ball to go where she wants it to more and more (I think she might even be starting to enjoy herself while bowling :D).

Bunny
07-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, as anyone who competes at something regularly knows, "You can't win 'em all" :). I played pretty good for the most part this weekend, just had some bad shots or bad breaks at the wrong time (i.e. 9th or 10th frame). I was very consistent though, I did 4 4 game series, and they were all between 757 and 769 (about 191 avg.). In a different format I probably would have made at least the first cut, but in these company sport tournaments you have about 30-50 people per category playing multiple starts and only the top 6 make the final, so a "good" series isn't going to make the cut.

My buddy and his wife didn't have such a great series during our trio (both played between 170-180 avg), and we only ended up 14th (top ten trios made the trio final). My wife and I didn't really have a chance to win either, since it was scratch and she averages about 110 at the moment. But in our second double start we made an agreement that since we couldn't make the top ten, we'd at least make sure we'd get out of the bottom 10, which we accomplished (39th out of 52 :)).

It was a fun time up until the awards ceremony, where after giving out the awards to the top 7 doubles, they gave out an award for the worst double, which was my wife and my buddy's wife and she had to go up to the front and get a prize (she was NOT happy about it). But she was a good sport about it at least, I was proud of her for that. I was also proud of how she played....our second double she had 129 avg. and was playing well enough that she could have had a lot more (she had a lot of solid pocket hits that only got 9 pins). You can tell she's getting better and getting the ball to go where she wants it to more and more (I think she might even be starting to enjoy herself while bowling :D).

It sounds like you all had a good time. Great idea to have an attainable goal. Mission accomplished!

That sucks about making the girls go up and take a prize for last place. I don't blame her for not being happy about it. Thumbs up for being a good sport though!!