PDA

View Full Version : ICEMAN has found a Mom and Pap 6 lane WOOD bowlling alley!!!!

MICHAEL
06-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Wow,,,, I have never bowled on Wood! Having just got into sport 3 years ago... all the lanes around here are synthetic!! In a town about 30 miles form my place is a 6 lane bowling alley. I called yesterday, and they returned my call this afternoon. It has leagues, and can even set up sports patterns so he said. The place is where a good friend of me and my wife lives, Plattsburg Missouri! CAN"T WAIT TO BURN THE WOOD!!!

Any suggestions as to the type of balls that work on WOOD THE best??

He said that it can be rented for parties, and the prices were very reasonable. You can bring your own food, and drinks, including mix drinks, and beer.

WISH THIS PLACE WAS CLOSER,,, I would bowl a fall league there for SURE!!!! Bring your own drinks and food!!!!! Wow
I didn't know places like this existed!!!
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/4c697f6a-0d98-4f7c-89c1-f75908af262a_zps2cd09f03.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/4c697f6a-0d98-4f7c-89c1-f75908af262a_zps2cd09f03.jpg.html)

Soda fountain , and chips ect. and the drinks are very reasonable!!
I will take pictures of the place and post them!

Amyers
06-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Wood tends to vary a lot so it's hard to say I bowl on mostly wood lanes in two different houses here and on has synthetic. It is really hard to tell if the differences are more to the surface or the oils though. If I can tell one difference it seems to me the synthetics reflect the oil better than the wood. The wood seems more balanced not as much difference between wet and dry than the synthetics. the synthetic lane house if there dry its hard to keep a ball on them if its wet its hard to get it too hook the wood houses change just not as much. Some wood is high friction some is not so until you bowl on it kind of hard to say. Both of the wood lane houses I play at tend to be lower scoring than the synthetics but it could just be because they are older. Mostly less pin action.

Shaneshu87
06-26-2014, 02:09 PM
my home house is wood, one of the biggest issues is consistency, the lanes can vary ALLOT and transition faster than synthetic. i tend to use dull balls that burn up their energy faster. i have had success with skid/flip widows being able to push them to the gutter and get some wicked backend, i know your a fan of the Deadly Aim, and i have also had much success shooting a sweeper 3 weeks ago for a 810 series using my assassin and deadly aim. expect radical change in the oil, and wood is very sensitive to humidity.

MICHAEL
06-26-2014, 05:36 PM
You can rent is and the cost was CRAZY cheap! I think he said 65 dollars and hour,,,, from 6 till 10 pm. Might get James, Gene, Jason, and Iceman, and go rent the whole building for a Saturday night!! I know several other friends that might want to kick in on the night of bowling on wood!

I don't know one alley around here that has wood anymore! They are a dying breed! Lets see 65.00 bucks times 4 hours, and the building is ours any oil pattern we want? that's 260 a night... drop in the bucket!

Amyers
06-26-2014, 06:29 PM
You can rent is and the cost was CRAZY cheap! I think he said 65 dollars and hour,,,, from 6 till 10 pm. Might get James, Gene, Jason, and Iceman, and go rent the whole building for a Saturday night!! I know several other friends that might want to kick in on the night of bowling on wood!

I don't know one alley around here that has wood anymore! They are a dying breed! Lets see 65.00 bucks times 4 hours, and the building is ours any oil pattern we want? that's 260 a night... drop in the bucket!

I can see it now the first Annual Iceman Invetational.

mike_thomas93
06-26-2014, 08:04 PM
My home alley is also wood. Quite honestly, it's pretty easy, I'd say too easy of a house. Tends to vary very rarely being the fact that there's not really enough oil put down here in my city. more predominantly mid-lane in my opinion, but I'd say some wood lane alleys tend to be a bit easier than some synthetic wood alleys. At least in where I reside. ;p

rv driver
06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
my home house is wood, one of the biggest issues is consistency, the lanes can vary ALLOT and transition faster than synthetic. i tend to use dull balls that burn up their energy faster. i have had success with skid/flip widows being able to push them to the gutter and get some wicked backend, i know your a fan of the Deadly Aim, and i have also had much success shooting a sweeper 3 weeks ago for a 810 series using my assassin and deadly aim. expect radical change in the oil, and wood is very sensitive to humidity.
Boy, you got that right! I used to hate bowling league on wood, because one lane would be RADICALLY different from the one next door. At our alley (having 16 lanes), we learned which lanes were our favorites, and we could call ahead and reserve the one we wanted during open bowling.

MICHAEL
06-26-2014, 10:58 PM
My home alley is also wood. Quite honestly, it's pretty easy, I'd say too easy of a house. Tends to vary very rarely being the fact that there's not really enough oil put down here in my city. more predominantly mid-lane in my opinion, but I'd say some wood lane alleys tend to be a bit easier than some synthetic wood alleys. At least in where I reside. ;p

This is a small town about 35 something miles from my place.

THE ICEMAN Invitational Wood Small Town Tournament

It has a Nice Sound To IT!!

Aslan,,, Mike White,,,, Rob,,,, Bowl 1820,,, you want to try you luck against some country boys!!!????

I thought that wood lanes were reconditioned and sanded each year??? I will ask the owner in regards to that!

Have Any of YOU OUT THERE HEARD of a bowling establishment that allows you to bring your own drinks and refreshments/food?

I have a male friend that lives in that town, and he said, Sure, we bring our own beer, and chips ect....

I wish I lived a little closer, I think I would enjoy bowling in that small town! I have never been in a alley with only 6 lanes!!

Plattsburg is out in the country, so not a easy highway drive to establishment, and lots of deer, and animals crossing the country roads!

I think next Saturday, I will make the trip,,, AMF tournament this weekend! Might take some friends with me, How about you Geno2u!??

Want to ride our bikes??? Its light till 9pm??? I can hook up my bike trailer and haul the balls, and beer!!

noeymc
06-26-2014, 11:24 PM
ice dont make me come down there and beat you lol i vote bager oil pattern

MICHAEL
06-26-2014, 11:50 PM

wouldn't that be a FRICKEN BLAST Having a tournament in the small town of Plattsburg Missouri!! Let me check this place out, take a bunch of pictures, and then see about a 6 lane tournament! I think I could get a pretty good group of guys from around here!

But would that be fair to bowlers from out of town? It's understood that most of the BEST DAMN BOWLERS in the United States are from the Kansas City area....

A Small Town, low cost, but Big money tournament!!

I will make a HUGE effort to go bowl, a few 700, maybe even a 300 hundred on those easy wood lanes nest Saturday!!

I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!

He did say he does sports patterns,,,, He is one of a kind,,, he does the Sports patterns with nothing but a MOP, Oil, and conditioner! He learned the Art form from Rafael Peterson, and John Greasy!!

He says he can put oil down better then 90 percent of them there oil machines, with all their problems!!! He said if we want to have a tournament to decide which state has the best bowlers, ,,,,, He will preform is ONE MAN oil artistry for the tournament at no charge, other then rental of the alley! Which is dirt cheap!!

seriously he did say that he has the ability to do sport shots!

MICHAEL
06-26-2014, 11:55 PM

On the Gladstone lanes, ICE is HOT at the last couple weeks,,, 235 average for the Deadly Aim! Will see if I can keep it up!! Keeping it up at
65 is doable, but takes a lot of effort!! (:)

Let me check this place out noeymc,,,, I would take you up on you challenge, but THS oil only! I haven't had but a few experiences on sports patterns, but hope to soon!

got_a_300
06-30-2014, 12:50 AM
I can still remember bowling on the old wood lanes in our
center back in the day before synthetic lanes. I would usually
have to play 4 arrow on one lane and the 1st or 2nd board on
the other lane as there were big discrepancies in the oil on the
lanes back then and also using the early reactive urethane balls.

The best bowling ball that I found that worked pretty good and
was the most consistent on reaction on the wood lanes was a
plain old urethane ball not a reactive urethane type of ball.

It pretty much still holds true even today that the most consistent
type of ball I can throw is still a plain old urethane ball. I still break
out my old Ebonite black Turbo urethane ball every once in a while
to throw it but the span is a little bit too long for me now days with
the arthritis in my fingers and all.

So Iceman if you have a plain old urethane ball you might just want
to take it with you when you go to bowl on the wood lanes.

rv driver
06-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Or even an old rubber ball. I still have my AMF S3D. I might still use it on wood lanes. It's still in great shape.

Amyers
06-30-2014, 09:08 AM
I wonder if there are still wood lanes using the old heavy short oil patterns that used to be common. Those were fun with the urethane balls. My house is still wood but they've lengthened the oil patterns to where it doesn't play that way anymore.

rv driver
06-30-2014, 10:19 PM
It'd be great if all the members of Bowling Boards could all get together for a tournament at Iceman's mom & pop. Too bad we're all so far-flung. I think that'd be a whole lotta fun!

MICHAEL
06-30-2014, 11:59 PM
about going up to this MOM and PoP 6 lane alley this Friday, or Saturday! I have never heard of an alley where you can bring your own refreshments, beer, even the hard stuff... and food!

I guess this guy has owned it for many years, and doesn't give a rats about making money, just enjoys bowling with fellow friends in this small town. All he cares about is paying for the electricity, and keeping it up and in good condition!

Reminds me of one of my favorite flicks,,,, "THE LAST PICTURE SHOW".

I can't wait to check it out, and believe me I will take a bunch of pictures!

The owner called me the other day and said to give him a call, because on some Friday nights, and Saturdays, he rents it out!

I CAN SEE IT NOW: THE ICEMAN WOODEN LANES BOWLINGBALL.COM TOURNAMENT!!!

6 wooden Lanes, "WHO will Go HOME from all over this country with the GRAND PRIZE!!

((PICTURES OF THIS UNIQUE Bowling establishment SOON))!

rv driver
07-01-2014, 09:28 AM
about going up to this MOM and PoP 6 lane alley this Friday, or Saturday! I have never heard of an alley where you can bring your own refreshments, beer, even the hard stuff... and food!

I guess this guy has owned it for many years, and doesn't give a rats about making money, just enjoys bowling with fellow friends in this small town. All he cares about is paying for the electricity, and keeping it up and in good condition!

Reminds me of one of my favorite flicks,,,, "THE LAST PICTURE SHOW".

I can't wait to check it out, and believe me I will take a bunch of pictures!

The owner called me the other day and said to give him a call, because on some Friday nights, and Saturdays, he rents it out!

I CAN SEE IT NOW: THE ICEMAN WOODEN LANES BOWLINGBALL.COM TOURNAMENT!!!

6 wooden Lanes, "WHO will Go HOME from all over this country with the GRAND PRIZE!!

((PICTURES OF THIS UNIQUE Bowling establishment SOON))!
What town is this located?

MICHAEL
07-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Bowling

For a night of family fun, check out the bowling alley at Plattsburg Bowl. The prices can't be beat! Open bowling is available on Friday and Saturday evenings but call ahead to ensure open lanes.

206 S. Main
Open bowling Fri & Sat evenings, 6:00-10:00 p.m. (closing hours may vary)
816-539-3316

Truly a local owned non franchised dying breed of bowling alley!! Can't wait to go up this weekend! Need to call first, just to make sure it will be open, or not rented out.

MICHAEL
07-06-2014, 01:24 AM
Went to the mom and pop 6 wood lane bowling alley, but it was closed, did take a picture of the hours ect... Can't wait to check and get more information on this privately owned alley!!!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00404_zpsbaff7832.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00404_zpsbaff7832.jpg.html)

Small Town 4th of JULY,,, doesn't get any better!!! Wife and me had a Blast,,, huge fireworks display!! I think they shot off more fireworks then there are
people in that town!

mc_runner
07-06-2014, 08:02 AM
I really enjoy how they have their leagues printed up on the signs. That looks like it'll be an awesome place to bowl at. The misspellings give it more character :)

rv driver
07-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Gotta love old-school bowling. This is the kind of place where you'd have to wear an old '50s-style bowling shirt with the stripes. This is the kind of place for your old Brunswick rubber bowling ball. I bet they still have ash trays set in the scoring table for your filterless Luckies, Pall Malls and Camels. I bet they still serve Falstaff on tap, too.

MICHAEL
07-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Just called to see if its going to be open tonight, or rented for a party already? I got a tape recorded message, saying they will get back to me on Friday night after 6mp.....

I NEED TO KNOW SOONER THEN THAT,,, its a 45 minute drive to get there!! :rolleyes:

I can't wait to try this old wood lane alley out!!!! ((will be my first time bowling on wood))!

Mudpuppy
07-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Just make sure you keep your fly zipped up

MICHAEL
07-11-2014, 11:21 PM
As the answering machine stated they would return calls form 6pm to 10pm Friday and Saturday, during the summer.

They called while I was out, but she did say after he got done hauling some hay, he would have open bowling, ( place was not rented this weekend).

My wife gets off work tomorrow at 3:00pm,,, plan on checking this place out, and taking a bunch of pictures to show you guys.

WOOD LANES,,, Can't wait to see how wood differs from synthetic, and the condition of the lanes.

They do have winter leagues, as posted on the sign outside the establishment. CAN"T WAIT!!! Problem is it's a pretty good trip from my place.

Anybody want to go with me and wife, let me know,,, Aslan,,, what's your plans??? Your a WOOD bowling machine,,,, "wood" you like to show Iceman how to handle this new surface!!??

MICHAEL
07-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Got the camera charging up, want to take some pictures of the small town bowling alley!!! CAN'T fricken wait!!!!! Ouch,,,, its painful ,,, the wait!!

Wood, be a lot easier if it weren't for it being would!! LOL.... LOLhttp://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/0dd87d75178a2e5c234c1f5abc34a8bc_zps8a884ac9.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/0dd87d75178a2e5c234c1f5abc34a8bc_zps8a884ac9.jpg.h tml)

TELL ME THIS IS NOT ONE COOL SET UP!!! WOOD, Can't you just smell IT??? HUMMMM... can't wait to see this place inside!

MICHAEL
07-13-2014, 12:52 AM
I took many pictures of this Well kept, cool bowling alley! It's MY favorite one so far in my LIFE! Wait till I get some of the pictures and you will see why it was love AT FIST ROLL! First game was a 211, 169, 201, and 202! It was on wood, and had not been oiled since the day before. They are open in the summer short hours! Friday from 6 to 10 pm. I did bowl 6 other games, just to experiment with different balls and angles...

Guess what ball gave me my first four above... YES DEADLY AIM!! What a ball on WOOD, and synthetic!

I have a lot to say about the experience, but its late, and I will be posting pictures, and stories I heard from the owner! He even showed me how they use to oil the lanes by hand!

Now they have a reconditioned oil/stripper! They purchased it from a Big company in bowling not far away!

I like the ball movement on wood a lot!! Even with the oil some what destroyed, it played great! WELL,,,LOTS to come on this great Local owned wood alley.

I think you will enjoy seeing his operation!!! I plan on making the 45 minute trip every Saturday, after my wife gets off work at 3pm.

A VERY UNIQUE FUN PLACE! Prices that CAN"T BE BEAT... open bowling 2.00,,,, coffee 50.cents I have a copy of his menu!!

MICHAEL
07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
I swear to GOD, I felt like I Died and went straight to heaven, by passing the pearly gates!! It had that feel, and smell of real Bowling, nothing synthetic about this spiritual experience!

When I die, and everything goes dark and black, ,,, ,,, then as the light starts to come and my eyes get back their focus this is what ICEMAN is hoping for!

I enjoyed talking to the Part owners, husband and wife Chris and Georgia, Rauchle!

They were very friendly, and fun to be around, giving Iceman lots of information about the lanes, and its history.

Chris had a twin brother, and in there younger days just the two of them farmed a 2000 acre, plus raise hogs! That is ONE HUGE farm, but I could tell by the frame of this now in his 70's man, that in his hay day he would not have be a force to reckon with!! LOL

While I was there, with my wife, only two other young men came in with hot rod shirts, to do a little practice. One according to the owner Chris, was one of their better bowlers. Since they were on the lanes next to ICEMAN,,, I kept an eye on them! I think if we would have had a challenge for right there on that spot, ICEMAN would have left with all the glory!!

In fairness, the lanes had not been oiled since the day before, and two groups of bowlers, one being a party for kids, had demolished the oil.
But you know what, I was surprised how even on WOOD lanes, I was able to play that outside line, with the Deadly Aim. I did wind up throwing 3rd arrow, and standing center part of approach! This was on used, old oil.

I have a lot of information about this wonderful piece of vanishing history. I am going to try put together a team to bowl those lanes this coming fall!

Georgia and Chris said we have never had a SANCTIONED 300 game, but have had two bowled in practice games, or non sanctioned, not sure about that! Both being bowled by Georgia’s I believe.

I enjoyed bowling the wood VERY MUCH, and I am looking forward to getting more acclimated to this NEW surface. LOTS MORE Fun interesting info to come!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00430_zpsa8ef56d0.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00430_zpsa8ef56d0.jpg.html)
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00437_zps599fd44a.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00437_zps599fd44a.jpg.html)

MICHAEL
07-13-2014, 01:55 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00447_zps71ea2922.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00447_zps71ea2922.jpg.html)

larry mc
07-13-2014, 08:55 PM
i used 2 work at a 6 lane wood house , wood is a lot less over under 4 me

MICHAEL
07-13-2014, 10:33 PM
i used 2 work at a 6 lane wood house , wood is a lot less over under 4 me

O agree. what ever that means? I just know that I picked up some great spares, and the wood seems a lot less reactive! I think what I am trying to say is its a lot less over and under! I LIKE the shot on the lane I was on, cant wait to try the other 5 out!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00446_zps9b4e6da3.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00446_zps9b4e6da3.jpg.html)
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00444_zps604050f5.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00444_zps604050f5.jpg.html)
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00443_zpse6ec1e6c.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00443_zpse6ec1e6c.jpg.html)
What a great idea for kids!!! This is their version of bumpers for kid bowling PC PIPE attached togerther then taped... works great.

MICHAEL
07-13-2014, 10:45 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00440_zpsbfda3499.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00440_zpsbfda3499.jpg.html)

Picture of Chris at the front desk of bowling alley! Its a very nice, Clean bowling alley, well taken care of! For all you that flunked math, you might have a problem keeping score!

At this establishment they take pride in using their heads to do scores!!! NONE OF THAT automatic stuff!!! One day when all the computers break down, the bowlers in this small town will not be lost in regards to doing scores on paper, or using that overhead projector contraption!!http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00439_zps23bf582c.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00439_zps23bf582c.jpg.html)

I didn't know what to expect so I only brought with me the balls shown. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fantastic condition WOOD LANE, with a great shot out side, and inside!

I was surprised thinking the wood, somehow would be much more difficult to play then synthetic! I personally, liked and enjoyed the balls reaction better on wood, at least Plattsburg's WOODEN LANES, then I do the other synthetic ones I bowl on now!

The do a sanding at the end of each year, and every two years they resurface the lanes completely! WELL TAKEN CARE OF!!

Amyers
07-13-2014, 11:01 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00440_zpsbfda3499.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00440_zpsbfda3499.jpg.html)

Picture of Chris at the front desk of bowling alley! Its a very nice, Clean bowling alley, well taken care of! For all you that flunked math, you might have a problem keeping score!

At this establishment they take pride in using their heads to do scores!!! NONE OF THAT automatic stuff!!! One day when all the computers break down, the bowlers in this small town will not be lost in regards to doing scores on paper, or using that overhead projector contraption!!http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00439_zps23bf582c.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00439_zps23bf582c.jpg.html)

I didn't know what to expect so I only brought with me the balls shown. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fantastic condition WOOD LANE, with a great shot out side, and inside!

I was surprised thinking the wood, somehow would be much more difficult to play then synthetic! I personally, liked and enjoyed the balls reaction better on wood, at least Plattsburg's WOODEN LANES!!

The do a sanding at the end of each year, and every two years they resurface the lanes completely! WELL TAKEN CARE OF!!

Oh man I remember those projectors get up to bowl and you've got marks all up you arm because you got it against the plastic sheet and everybody pretends they don't know how to keep score because they don't want their hand getting sweaty. Yeah those were the days.

MICHAEL
07-13-2014, 11:06 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00441_zps14ea68d2.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00441_zps14ea68d2.jpg.html)

here Chris is showing Iceman how he used to oil and clean the lanes by hand! I ask if it had a pretty good shot when done by hand, and he said it DID! He told me step by step how he took the old oil off, and the applied the new... I WAS IMPRESSED!!!

This is the mop he used to oil the lanes.... its an art that many would be lost at doing today!

This Chris's wife, ( I hope have the spelling correct: Georga! This is what bowling alley owners do while wafting for customers! Chris and Georga, are a great couple, and I enjoyed the time they took to show me the whole layout!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00433_zps07fc77ad.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00433_zps07fc77ad.jpg.html)

I do plan on bowing there this fall, regardless as to if I can get a team from the city to drive out there to this GREAT ESTABLISMENT OF WOOD! I don't know a wood alley in the Kansas City Missouri area anymore.

They have all went to that synthetic stuff!!! ( IS ANYTHING REAL ANYMORE?)

Plattsburg Bowling Alley is!!

P.S. I was a little surprised that Georga, was using one of them there automatic card shuffling do-dad, thing of ma-jobs, instead of doing it the old school way, with her hands... LOL

GREAT COUPLE, and GREAT ESTABLISHMENT!!!

Wife and me WILL be back next Saturday to bowl a bunch of practice games!! ( that is if you don't have it booked)!

MICHAEL
07-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Great shot, much less squirrely

I don't know about other wood lanes, what few there are across this wonderful country, but I know the ones in Plattsburg played GREAT!!

MICHAEL
07-14-2014, 02:07 AM
Wall of champions!!! Cool pictures of some great teams that bowl at this vintage wood alley!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00435_zps56ea111e.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00435_zps56ea111e.jpg.html)

Average league bowling is 8 bucks a night... NO BIG MONEY, they bowl for the SPORT and fun of it! No Sandbaggers to be found at this noble place.

Like Chris said, "We don't care about big money, we love the sport, those pictures on the wall are our reward!

I like that philosophy!!! I like it a lot!!

I think he said they have tournaments there some times, if that's the case you know ICEMAN might just do one for a change!! LOL

got_a_300
07-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Wow it has been many years since I've seen the old
tella-scores like that. I used to do a lot of scores by
hand back in the day before everything became all
computerized.

Take some people now days and they would have no
ideal how to even start to keep scores by hand especially
the younger generation of kids.

Dang it Iceman now you make me want to drive all the
way over there all 650 miles to just get to bowl a few
games on the wooden lanes at the Plattsburg Bowling
Alley. LOL!!!!

MICHAEL
07-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Wow it has been many years since I've seen the old
tella-scores like that. I used to do a lot of scores by
hand back in the day before everything became all
computerized.

Take some people now days and they would have no
ideal how to even start to keep scores by hand especially
the younger generation of kids.

Dang it Iceman now you make me want to drive all the
way over there all 650 miles to just get to bowl a few
games on the wooden lanes at the Plattsburg Bowling
Alley. LOL!!!!

Give me a call anytime,,,, Remember other then weekends, his summer hours are limited... Winter they have more open bowling! I would be glad to meet you somewhere and we could drive up together!

It was a spiritual EXPERIENCE being in the place!....Great lanes, WELL taken CARE OF! Anyone interested, drop me a private message, and I can set it up.... and make sure they will be open.

The Place HAS Character,,,, I told him I would LOVE TO OWN THE PLACE,,,, he said make an offer.... Not sure if he was serious?

mike_thomas93
07-14-2014, 10:11 PM
By the way that 6-lane alley is by far the smallest I've ever seen. Before that, I've bowled at a 24-lane synthetic alley. Now that alley has more lanes ;p

rv driver
07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Reminds me a lot of my home alley -- before it was "expanded" to 16 lanes. Might be worth a drive up from Springfield to play there.

MICHAEL
07-16-2014, 01:40 AM
Chris took me to the storage room to show me their new reconditioned lane oiler Said it laid a nice THS!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00448_zps63ec0899.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00448_zps63ec0899.jpg.html)

WHAT where did this AMF THING come from,,,, this a Brunswick alley,,, LOL They also take ( NOT HAVING accidents very seriously ) (:)

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00436_zpsaf1c4b9e.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00436_zpsaf1c4b9e.jpg.html)

Blacksox1
07-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Awesome pics and bowling center. Iceman should bowl a league there. I drive that distance for my Thursday fall league. Unrelated, I think Iceman should by an ownership stake, and put on a yearly bowlingboards tournament !

tccstudent
07-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Looks like a nice house wood can be a nice ahot if they are well maintained but it takes more work and money to maintain wood then it does synthetics the house I started out in needed resurfaced in a bad way but the owner wasnt making enough money to do it so they kept getting worse and worse so I started bowling in tulsa and this wood house has since been shut down by the evil irs

MICHAEL
07-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Awesome pics and bowling center. Iceman should bowl a league there. I drive that distance for my Thursday fall league. Unrelated, I think Iceman should by an ownership stake, and put on a yearly bowlingboards tournament !

It was love at FIRST SIGHT!! I am almost Sure I will be bowling on a league there this winter, despite the 40 minute drive! Most of the ride is in the country,,, farm land! I would like to find a team from around here. I have talked to Geneo2u,,, he is thinking about it... I will find out what size teams are this coming Saturday when I make my next trip. It is good roads all the way, except for the Rope, swing bridge that holds one car at a time leading into town. You also have to check your guns in at the edge of town! The Sheriff keeps them while in town bowling!

Plattsburg is a step back into time, and reminds Iceman of the Wild West!! Lots of Old houses and history!

REMEMBER,,, no website, and closed during the week in the summer! Only way I can communicate leave a message on answering machine, that they check on Friday of each week at opening around 6pm.

MICHAEL
07-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Looks like a nice house wood can be a nice ahot if they are well maintained but it takes more work and money to maintain wood then it does synthetics the house I started out in needed resurfaced in a bad way but the owner wasnt making enough money to do it so they kept getting worse and worse so I started bowling in tulsa and this wood house has since been shut down by the evil irs

too bad about the IRS!! They hate wood bowling! I have heard they are big on soccer!!!! They don't even like FOOTBALL,,, NFL,, Football!!!

MICHAEL
07-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Wood tends to vary a lot so it's hard to say I bowl on mostly wood lanes in two different houses here and on has synthetic. It is really hard to tell if the differences are more to the surface or the oils though. If I can tell one difference it seems to me the synthetics reflect the oil better than the wood. The wood seems more balanced not as much difference between wet and dry than the synthetics. the synthetic lane house if there dry its hard to keep a ball on them if its wet its hard to get it too hook the wood houses change just not as much. Some wood is high friction some is not so until you bowl on it kind of hard to say. Both of the wood lane houses I play at tend to be lower scoring than the synthetics but it could just be because they are older. Mostly less pin action.

YOU KNOW AMYERS, I AGREE with your statement: The wood seems more balanced not as much difference between wet and dry than the synthetics. the synthetic lane house if there dry its hard to keep a ball on them if its wet its hard to get it too hook the wood houses change just not as much.

I was bowling on used second day oil.... I bowled I believe 8 games, and I was still getting great shots on wood! Could it be that the wood absorbs some of the oil into the wood, where as the synthetic can't, and when its gone,,,, IT GONE!!

They do seem to take good care of the lanes,,, I still need to play the other 5 lanes! LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING IT!

Shaneshu87
07-16-2014, 10:49 AM
i love the retro ash treys! don't see those to often any more

tccstudent
07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Im on my phone so I cant quote but mike if you think that holds up better then tey and find a shot in a wood house that needs to be resurfaced by the fifth frame in the first game you are already standing in front of the ball return lofting the gutters with plastic

Amyers
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Im on my phone so I cant quote but mike if you think that holds up better then tey and find a shot in a wood house that needs to be resurfaced by the fifth frame in the first game you are already standing in front of the ball return lofting the gutters with plastic

What I was talking about was on well maintained lanes even poorly maintained synthetics have issues with that. I will say wood is more changable due to temperature, humidity, and lane pairs than synthetics.

MICHAEL
07-16-2014, 11:36 AM
What I was talking about was on well maintained lanes even poorly maintained synthetics have issues with that. I will say wood is more changable due to temperature, humidity, and lane pairs than synthetics.

The Plattsburg Missouri lanes are WELL taken care of! The owners love bowing themselves! NOT JUST OWNERS! I think that makes a huge difference. The run the alley out of love of the game, not to make money! Least that the impression I got talking to them! Great couple Chris and Georga!! He made it CLEAR that they do the maintenance recommended for wood lanes every year.

tccstudent
07-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Thats good

There are a few houses I go to tournaments that have what I call hybrid lanes wood heads and synthetic backends or vise versa and those give a pretty nice shot too

rv driver
07-16-2014, 05:37 PM
IRS motto: "We're not happy 'til you're not happy."

rv driver
07-16-2014, 05:39 PM
I'll second that! Wood lanes take a LOT of maintenance and care.

rv driver
07-16-2014, 05:40 PM
It was love at FIRST SIGHT!! I am almost Sure I will be bowling on a league there this winter, despite the 40 minute drive! Most of the ride is in the country,,, farm land! I would like to find a team from around here. I have talked to Geneo2u,,, he is thinking about it... I will find out what size teams are this coming Saturday when I make my next trip. It is good roads all the way, except for the Rope, swing bridge that holds one car at a time leading into town. You also have to check your guns in at the edge of town! The Sheriff keeps them while in town bowling!

Plattsburg is a step back into time, and reminds Iceman of the Wild West!! Lots of Old houses and history!

REMEMBER,,, no website, and closed during the week in the summer! Only way I can communicate leave a message on answering machine, that they check on Friday of each week at opening around 6pm.
I hope you live in northern KC, because Plattsburg is north of Lawson, and that's a distance.

MICHAEL
07-16-2014, 11:39 PM
I hope you live in northern KC, because Plattsburg is north of Lawson, and that's a distance.

ITs like 35 miles I believe?? Nothing in comparison to the distance of our nearest star! (:) I want to bowl with guys that bowl for the LOVE OF SPORT, not MONEY!! Cheap league bowling, where the winner gets a picture of his team posted on the wall of fame!

ICEMAN LIKES THE IDEA OF BOWLING for the SPORT, not the money! MONEY is what bring on all the sandbaggers, and scum-bag-rats!!

ICEMAN would like to find a group of bowlers from the city to take on these honorable country boys! They have some darn good bowlers there in Plattsburg!!! They love their wood lanes,,,, and think city boys play the easy stuff!

I am hopping Geneo2u and Mary will be going there with Ice and wife this weekend,,, I know I am going!! Saturday at 6pm,,, anyone else want to join us? Bring your own treats and beer.... only thing They really want you to purchase is soft drinks form their soda fountain.

Blacksox1
07-16-2014, 11:44 PM
If I were within 35miles, I would be there with the misses and the drinks!

MICHAEL
07-17-2014, 12:17 AM

IT would be a BLAST!! We always have a lot of fun when we bowl! I will take pictures again, maybe this time some of me bowling at on the wood, anong with Geneo2u, and his woman Mary!

rv driver
07-17-2014, 08:27 AM
ITs like 35 miles I believe?? Nothing in comparison to the distance of our nearest star! (:) I want to bowl with guys that bowl for the LOVE OF SPORT, not MONEY!! Cheap league bowling, where the winner gets a picture of his team posted on the wall of fame!

ICEMAN LIKES THE IDEA OF BOWLING for the SPORT, not the money! MONEY is what bring on all the sandbaggers, and scum-bag-rats!!

ICEMAN would like to find a group of bowlers from the city to take on these honorable country boys! They have some darn good bowlers there in Plattsburg!!! They love their wood lanes,,,, and think city boys play the easy stuff!

I am hopping Geneo2u and Mary will be going there with Ice and wife this weekend,,, I know I am going!! Saturday at 6pm,,, anyone else want to join us? Bring your own treats and beer.... only thing They really want you to purchase is soft drinks form their soda fountain.
I believe our nearest star lives in Texas? Christ Barnes? ;-)

rv driver
07-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Me too! Unfortunately for Plattsburg, the Missus and I are going to Tulsa this weekend.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 08:28 AM
IT would be a BLAST!! We always have a lot of fun when we bowl! I will take pictures again, maybe this time some of me bowling at on the wood, anong with Geneo2u, and his woman Mary!
I wanna see one of you riding the oiling machine down the lane!

tccstudent
07-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Me too! Unfortunately for Plattsburg, the Missus and I are going to Tulsa this weekend.

Lets go bowling then

rv driver
07-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Just coming up for the day. She wants to go to the big flea market at the Expo. This will be a short trip for the Wife ... and she doesn't like bowling, although I'm trying to get her interested. Otherwise, I'd take you up on that offer! 'Twould be a good time! Thanks for the invite! If I ever get to Tulsa for a longer period of time, I'll surely take you up on that offer!

MICHAEL
07-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Just coming up for the day. She wants to go to the big flea market at the Expo. This will be a short trip for the Wife ... and she doesn't like bowling, although I'm trying to get her interested. Otherwise, I'd take you up on that offer! 'Twould be a good time! Thanks for the invite! If I ever get to Tulsa for a longer period of time, I'll surely take you up on that offer!

Do that RV!!! I know one thing,,, bowing with Iceman is something you will never forget!!! LOL.... Having FUN is my middle name!! The lady that owns the Wonderful wood alley told my wife,,, she had never met anyone like Iceman! LOL I took that as a complement... (:) I had a blast bowling that woodnificent alley!! I still plan on going there every Saturday till winter league starts! Anyone interested MAKE sure they don't have it rented for a party.

Then I am checking out the leagues, to see which one would work for me and Icewoman.

((if I ever get to Tulsa for a longer period of time????? WHAT?? You live in Springfield right? I live in Kansas City Missouri,,, Plattsburg is just north of Kansas city mo.?))

tccstudent
07-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Hey iceman I would love to but right now its farther then I can afford to go. But you are more then welcome to stop by tulsa and use me as a warmup for your big espn aslan getting a buttwiping eztrvaganza

MICHAEL
07-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Hey iceman I would love to but right now its farther then I can afford to go. But you are more then welcome to stop by tulsa and use me as a warmup for your big espn aslan getting a buttwiping eztrvaganza

Hey,,, maybe when I go WEST to take on Aslan and Rob, maybe even Mike White, I just might go the southern route and take you up on that! LOL!

tccstudent
07-17-2014, 10:17 AM
If you come this way then you can get your kicks on route 66

MICHAEL
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
If you come this way then you can get your kicks on route 66

YES, I have done the route 66 trip from Ca, to Missouri 6 years ago with my bike, and then with my camper! It was a blast seeing a lot of old motels, advertising,,, COLOR TV's! and AIRCONDITIONED!!! LOL

rv driver
07-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Do that RV!!! I know one thing,,, bowing with Iceman is something you will never forget!!! LOL.... Having FUN is my middle name!! The lady that owns the Wonderful wood alley told my wife,,, she had never met anyone like Iceman! LOL I took that as a complement... (:) I had a blast bowling that woodnificent alley!! I still plan on going there every Saturday till winter league starts! Anyone interested MAKE sure they don't have it rented for a party.

Then I am checking out the leagues, to see which one would work for me and Icewoman.

((if I ever get to Tulsa for a longer period of time????? WHAT?? You live in Springfield right? I live in Kansas City Missouri,,, Plattsburg is just north of Kansas city mo.?))
"Woodnificent?" LOL I love it!

Yeah, I know. It would end up being a 4.5 hour trip to KC and a 3 hour trip to Tulsa. Not far, all things considered, but my weekend schedule is a Bee-atch!

rv driver
07-17-2014, 11:59 AM
I'd pay serious money to see that!

rv driver
07-17-2014, 12:02 PM
YES, I have done the route 66 trip from Ca, to Missouri 6 years ago with my bike, and then with my camper! It was a blast seeing a lot of old motels, advertising,,, COLOR TV's! and AIRCONDITIONED!!! LOL
The best is the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/wigwam_village_hotel6_holbrook.html

MICHAEL
07-18-2014, 05:36 PM
The Plattsburg alley has 6 perfect wood lanes, ready for some open bowling this weekend between 6pm and 10pm!

Bring you own treats, beer, or mixed drinks! 2.00 linage fee.

Bowl with ICEMAN, and ICEWOMAN...

Gene are you and Mary coming.... sign below... (( HURRY space is going QUICK)))

MICHAEL
07-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I will be interested in knowing what Gene, and Mary think of the wood lanes. This will also be Icewoman's firs time laying the ball down at this alley! More to report tonight if its not too late!

rv driver
07-19-2014, 05:08 PM
I will be interested in knowing what Gene, and Mary think of the wood lanes. This will also be Icewoman's firs time laying the ball down at this alley! More to report tonight if its not too late!
Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

MICHAEL
07-20-2014, 11:34 AM
It was a GREAT NIGHT, we all had a BLAST bowing the wood.... My wife stared out with 3 strikes, (remember she has never bowled wood before)

Gene had the high game of the night with a 240. ( I let him shine,,, didn't want to hurt his feeling, and unleash Shock and Awe)! LOL :rolleyes:

Mary and Joyce had some great games also... Mary and Gene brought a bottle of Jack Daniels, which they drink while bowling! Remember , at this Mom and Pop place you can bring your own beer, or mixed drinks including food. There was a pizza delivery while we were there, they even shared it with Iceman!! LOL GREAT FRIENDLY HOME TOWN BOWLING ALLEY!!!!!

It's what bowling should be like all over the wonderful country!!

Talked to a guy that bowls on the men's Thursday night league, which is the Hard Core Men's sanctioned league, and he asked if Gene and me were going to bowl on THAT LEAGUE. ( they had only two opening on their 6 lane establishment) Teams on that league consist of 5 male bowlers.

That would be 30 bowlers on Thursdays!

Its 37 miles.... good roads, but two lane out in the country.... winter coming on,,,,, hummmmm Still thinking about the 45 minute drive.

I did get verification that since its been open, NO ONE HAS BOWLED a SANCTIONED 300 game! This goes back to 1957! Only 3 non sanctioned ones, two by Georgia's son! ( one of the owners).

How big would it be to throw a 300 or 800 in this medium size town with all its history!!!

It would be FRONT PAGE NEWS in the local Paper!!

ICEMAN BOWLS 300 and 824

Plattsburg Bowling Alley! Headline News!!!!! EXTRA,,,,, EXTRA.... get it while its hot!!!!!

DREAMING ABOUT GREAT THINGS is HALF THE FUN, REGARDLESS as to whiter it HAPPENS OR NOT!! :rolleyes:

MICHAEL
07-20-2014, 11:36 AM
THANKS GENE and MARY for bowling with us!!! See you guys Tuesday at Gladstone lanes!!

rv driver
07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you all had a LARGE time!

MICHAEL
07-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Another interesting thing, and MAYBE why they haven't had a SANCTIONED 300, or 800 since it open in 1957 might be that until not long ago, it was Hand Oiled by Chris! I think it would be a blast to bowl on a hand oiled set of lanes!!!!

It was very interesting hearing step by step how Chris CLEAN and OIL the lanes!!! How many mechanics now days would know the skill needed to achieve this feat! He said it was usually a damn good shot when he got threw conditioning the lanes. I know it was labor intensive!!

I will have to ask how long they have had the oil machine they use now!

He also said that on the men's league, each Thursday night, they change the pattern from a 35 foot, to a 38 foot, to a 40 foot!

Last Saturday night when Gene, Mary, My wife and Ice were bowling, it was the 40 ft pattern!

WHO WILL BE THE FIRST TO BOWL A SANCTIONED 300 at this Wood Alley!! Only 3 non sanctioned since 1957, and two by the owners son!

IF YOUR EVER in the Missouri AREA Give it a try!! Maybe you could be the one to bowl that fourth non sanctioned 300 in over 50 years!!!!

Plattsburg Bowling alley.... ONE OF A KIND!

Mudpuppy
07-21-2014, 01:18 PM
I have faith it will be none other than the ICEMAN

MICHAEL
07-22-2014, 10:12 AM
I wonder if there are still wood lanes using the old heavy short oil patterns that used to be common. Those were fun with the urethane balls. My house is still wood but they've lengthened the oil patterns to where it doesn't play that way anymore.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00448_zps63ec0899.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00448_zps63ec0899.jpg.html)

I stand corrected on the SPORTS oil! Chris does a 35, 38, and 40 foot house pattern! He does not do sports patterns. I might ask him next Saturday if his machined has the capacity to do various sports patterns. I did take a picture of his machine, maybe some of you mechanics know this machines capacities.

I do know when we bowled last Saturday, the day before he put a 40 foot pattern on the lanes we bowled, and it had not been bowled on since he put the oil down. I thought it played great even at 40 foot, Geneo2u had the high game that day, 240. . I had a few low 200's, but then I was caught up in the moment of this GREAT FRIENDLY BOWING ESTABLISHMENT! Best KEPT Secret maybe in the whole State of Missouri!!! (:)

If any of you are ever interested in checking this place out, drop me a line on here, and I can give you the hours of operation.

I know in the summer its very limited... but you can book the whole alley which includes all six lanes, shoes, and all for 65 buck and hour.

Try to beat those prices at WALMART!!! And this PLACE is 100 percent Home Grown!

In some ways I wish I had never seen or heard of this place,,, mainly because of the distance involved and my NEED TO BOWL THIS WOOD ALLEY!!

I am thinking very seriously of bowling a Thursday night league there, ( all men, not sure if its scratch or handicap will find out), this winter!!

The people that I have met that run the place are the SALT OF THE EARTH, and truly LOVE THE SPORT of bowling!

Part Owners of the place, they are not in it for the MONEY, but rather the LOVE OF THE GAME! Can't say that about many other businesses!!

If your calling from out of this area code,,,, LOL,,,, you need to dial:

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00404_zpsbaff7832.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00404_zpsbaff7832.jpg.html)

MICHAEL
07-22-2014, 10:53 AM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/b77402e5-44d9-4080-be50-dcf1e7dbe80d_zps4e20e31d.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/b77402e5-44d9-4080-be50-dcf1e7dbe80d_zps4e20e31d.jpg.html)

vdubtx
07-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Looks like their sign painter needs a spell check.

MICHAEL
07-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Looks like their sign painter needs a spell check.

No spell check available, AVAILABLE!!! (:)

Hey, Iceman didn't make the sign,,, but believe me, (as most of you know), spelling was not my cup of tea! Iceman is and IDEA MAN.... the mechanics of using correct spelling, or even grammar is for the nerds that think correct ENGLISH is worth the effort!!:D

Mudpuppy
07-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Iceman there is a good reason that alleys did away with wood - it's an inferior lane surface. But dream on big kahuna. Enjoy it. Keep posting about it. And please go get your 3rd 300 game there.

MICHAEL
07-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Iceman there is a good reason that alleys did away with wood - it's an inferior lane surface. But dream on big kahuna. Enjoy it. Keep posting about it. And please go get your 3rd 300 game there.

Not sure its and inferior surface, just a lot more expensive to keep up! I sure, that's the real reason why the change took place. Not to mention the fact that it would cost a fortune to have a wood ally installed vs synthetic.

I really fine the wood, even with my modern arsenal, more predictable to play then synthetic. Hey Gene has the high game so far with his 240, he liked the play!

Wood died for financial reasons mainly! Not the only reason, but maybe the MAIN REASON!

Sure,,,,,,,, its not as durable, and it can be damaged by a loftier throwing 16lb balls toward the celling, but to me its a lot like playing tennis on GRASS vs asphalt!

Both are great play, one is just more vintage!!

Amyers
07-22-2014, 11:56 AM
The reason a lot of places have switched to synthetics is to remain USBC approved wood must be resurfaced every year reguardless if it needs it or not. Synthetics only have to be checked at three points if their within tolerance nothing else has to be done.

there is a great article about this and some of the problems on synthetics up on Jeff Richgels 11th Frame Blog right now

http://11thframe.com/news/article/6743

Also a great piece on leveling some lanes here:

http://11thframe.com/news/article/6742

MICHAEL
07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
The reason a lot of places have switched to synthetics is to remain USBC approved wood must be resurfaced every year reguardless if it needs it or not. Synthetics only have to be checked at three points if their within tolerance nothing else has to be done.

there is a great article about this and some of the problems on synthetics up on Jeff Richgels 11th Frame Blog right now

Yep,,, pretty much what I said above,,, and they do have it checked each year, and follow the guidelines required for sanctioned scores. Yes the expense of a grass court in tennis is HUGE,,, but to some its worth the expense, due to the UNIQUE play!! I don't want to see all wood lanes close, so support them in your home town,,, keep this part of history alive!

MICHAEL
07-22-2014, 12:18 PM

great articles Amyers,,, but here is the UNIQUE thing about these Wood Lanes,,,, ( THEY DON"T GET MUCH USE at all, compared to high volume bowling establishments in big cities)

So,,,,, The amount of surface change between seasons is very small I would imagine! Look at how few leagues bowl at this establishment. Open bowling only on weekends for 3 hours on Friday and Saturday!

I am telling you guys,,, this is wood at its finest!! A unique wood bowling alley that his VERY LOW volume of use, and meticulously taken care of and inspected by the governing bodies that be! Chris said a sanding each year at the end of season, and a resurface every other year!

Worth the trip out here just to bowl the sacred way they did in Biblical Times.... WWJBO!!!!!!!! (:)

mc_runner
07-23-2014, 12:18 PM
WWJBO? I think the answer would have to be water!

Mudpuppy
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Not sure its and inferior surface, just a lot more expensive to keep up! I sure, that's the real reason why the change took place. Not to mention the fact that it would cost a fortune to have a wood ally installed vs synthetic.

I really fine the wood, even with my modern arsenal, more predictable to play then synthetic. Hey Gene has the high game so far with his 240, he liked the play!

Wood died for financial reasons mainly! Not the only reason, but maybe the MAIN REASON!

Sure,,,,,,,, its not as durable, and it can be damaged by a loftier throwing 16lb balls toward the celling, but to me its a lot like playing tennis on GRASS vs asphalt!

Both are great play, one is just more vintage!!

Nope. I am calling you out on this one. Synthetic lanes are engineered materials and are far better than wood. Wood varies from plank to plank from tree to tree, etc. and is extremely variable based on ambient temperature and humidity. It's not the correct surface for bowling. Just like you wouldn't make an automobile out of paper. You could do it and some might argue it gets better gas mileage and it is cool to color stick figures on your hood but is it really the best solution? Absolutely not. Engineered materials are far superior to their non-engineered counterparts. Wood, like an honest politician, is dead in terms of bowling and a thing of the past. Just like the rubber ball.

MICHAEL
07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Nope. I am calling you out on this one. Synthetic lanes are engineered materials and are far better than wood. Wood varies from plank to plank from tree to tree, etc. and is extremely variable based on ambient temperature and humidity. It's not the correct surface for bowling. Just like you wouldn't make an automobile out of paper. You could do it and some might argue it gets better gas mileage and it is cool to color stick figures on your hood but is it really the best solution? Absolutely not. Engineered materials are far superior to their non-engineered counterparts. Wood, like an honest politician, is dead in terms of bowling and a thing of the past. Just like the rubber ball.

mud, good info,,, we will see how my average goes this winter! I am going to drive that 37 miles and bowl that men's league in Plattsburg, on WOOD! (:)

Its way to early for me to judge personally, if wood or synthetic is better for ICE! LOL. I do know this mud, don't take vitamins that are synthetic, like many of the one days out there. (synthetic vitamins, for instance vitamin E for example can cause cancer!) Where are non GMO E is actually wonderful and has many benefits! Synthetic.... LOL is not always better, especially when it come to supplements! BEWARE!

If the wood is more difficult it will be FUN to see in reality how much! Call Ice OLD SCHOOL,,,, but I like the sound, and looks of Real Wood!!!! (:)

Grass is not the best surface for tennis, but Wimpleton has and does use it,,,,,, it's a Tradition like wood in bowling lanes... I hope they all don't go synthetic.... I like the idea of wood being around, so it's specific challenges you mentioned, can be engaged!!!

Amyers
07-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Nothing wrong with wood or synthetics I like them both. Both have their issues and I hate to rain on you parade mudpuppy but the oil is affected by temperature and humidity more than the the wood both types of surface change with the weather.

got_a_300
07-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Another thing bad about having wood lanes is the wood can
only be cut down so many times then the wood has to be
replaced with something.

Amyers
07-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Another thing bad about having wood lanes is the wood can
only be cut down so many times then the wood has to be
replaced with something.

When you're resurfacing lanes only a very small amount of wood is removed I have never heard of wood lanes being replaced because they are out of wood.

MICHAEL
07-24-2014, 01:42 AM
When you're resurfacing lanes only a very small amount of wood is removed I have never heard of wood lanes being replaced because they are out of wood.

That WOOD make sense to me!!! :rolleyes: Yes we talked about that the other day while bowling at this NEW HOME for ICEMAN! If they have and opeing,,,, I am going for it!! 37 miles,,,, but waiting for me,,,,, WOOD be those wonderful challenging would lanes.... !! LOL I love to play with words!!

rv driver
07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
That WOOD make sense to me!!! :rolleyes: Yes we talked about that the other day while bowling at this NEW HOME for ICEMAN! If they have and opeing,,,, I am going for it!! 37 miles,,,, but waiting for me,,,,, WOOD be those wonderful challenging would lanes.... !! LOL I love to play with words!!
Your word play just goes against the grain.

Mudpuppy
07-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Nothing wrong with wood or synthetics I like them both. Both have their issues and I hate to rain on you parade mudpuppy but the oil is affected by temperature and humidity more than the the wood both types of surface change with the weather.

You can rain all you want but you are incorrect. The wood lanes have a very high rate of variance on their surface with or without temp / humidity vs a synthetic. Oil is a whole other issue. The oil is more uniformly applied on a synthetic lane than a wood lane. Is a synthetic lane perfect? Not at all. But it is clearly a superior surface to wood for use in a bowling lane. Tell you what we can go to our local bowling alleys and use our lithium ion circular saws to cut some samples out to put under the microscope and subject the samples to different temp and humidity and then you can explain to me how wood is the same as synthetic. I bowl Saturdays on wood and Mondays on synthetic. I have bowled a lot of houses with both types of lanes. The wood lanes the shot varies 300% more than the synthetic lanes - regardless of what time of year it is. Why is that?

MICHAEL
07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
You can rain all you want but you are incorrect. The wood lanes have a very high rate of variance on their surface with or without temp / humidity vs a synthetic. Oil is a whole other issue. The oil is more uniformly applied on a synthetic lane than a wood lane. Is a synthetic lane perfect? Not at all. But it is clearly a superior surface to wood for use in a bowling lane. Tell you what we can go to our local bowling alleys and use our lithium ion circular saws to cut some samples out to put under the microscope and subject the samples to different temp and humidity and then you can explain to me how wood is the same as synthetic. I bowl Saturdays on wood and Mondays on synthetic. I have bowled a lot of houses with both types of lanes. The wood lanes the shot varies 300% more than the synthetic lanes - regardless of what time of year it is. Why is that?

The very fact that it does vary,,,,,,, is what makes it more of a challenge,,,,,,,, and a good thing to me!! (:) On a house shot its that predictability, that to many including Bill O'Neal that has taken the challenge and sport out of bowling! Someone posted a thread with him giving comments, and I agree with most of his thoughts, and ideas!

He thinks that part of the PROBLEM with the sport of bowling is that it is SO EASY... I believe he even mentioned my NAME,,, ICEMAN! He said if and old broken down 64 year old Iron Worker can bowl two 300 games and 780 series with the last one,,,, SOMETHING IS defiantly WRONG!! LOL He, goes on to say it use to mean something to roll a 300 game,,, A BIG DEAL!!! But now on synthetic oil and new ball technology to go along with it... they happen quite often!

He gives some good ideas on how to get the sport back in bowing, and make it more challenging! I know at Plattsburg another REASON why they don't have a sanctioned 300 game in all these years, is it was Hand oiled up until they got the new reconditioned lane oiler 3 years ago.

Bill O'Neal mentions all the 220, 230 averages on house oil, and the false sense of grander those blowers have about HOW GOOD A BOWLER THEY THIK THEY ARE.
Put then on a PBA Sports shot, most couldn't' hit 200. Good point

Maybe one of the very REASONS why there has never been a 300 game since this alley opened in 1957! WOOD,,,, the real Old school test of a bowlers skills... and the fact that they CHANGE THE PATTERN from week to week,,,, 35, 38, and 40 foot... them Salt of the Earth Farm boys like a challenge! (:)

I DREAM OF BEING THE FIRST ON THIS BEAUTIFUL 6 LANE bowling alley!!!! Will Iceman be that person..... odds are very slim,,,, but I have never in my life backed down to a challenge.... IT WOOD BE a moment in my LIFE like NO OTHER!!! Other then the day I met my wife for the FIRST TIME!! ;)

Amyers
07-24-2014, 11:13 AM

I'm not saying that synthetics are not more resilient to humidity/temperature than wood. Just not that there are no issues with synthetics. Especially older synthetics and synthetics that have been laid over wood. Its all good. Like I said I enjoy both and I will agree that lane to lane consistency is better on synthetics but then again that is part of the challenge with wood

MICHAEL
07-24-2014, 11:17 AM
The very fact that it does vary,,,,,,, is what makes it more of a challenge,,,,,,,, and a good thing to me!! (:) On a house shot its that predictability, that to many including Bill O'Neal that has taken the challenge and sport out of bowling! Someone posted a thread with him giving comments, and I agree with most of his thoughts, and ideas!

He thinks that part of the PROBLEM with the sport of bowling is that it is SO EASY... I believe he even mentioned my NAME,,, ICEMAN! He said if and old broken down 64 year old Iron Worker can bowl two 300 games and 780 series with the last one,,,, SOMETHING IS defiantly WRONG!! LOL He, goes on to say it use to mean something to roll a 300 game,,, A BIG DEAL!!! But now on synthetic oil and new ball technology to go along with it... they happen quite often!

He gives some good ideas on how to get the sport back in bowing, and make it more challenging! I know at Plattsburg another REASON why they don't have a sanctioned 300 game in all these years, is it was Hand oiled up until they got the new reconditioned lane oiler 3 years ago.

Bill O'Neal mentions all the 220, 230 averages on house oil, and the false sense of grander those blowers have about HOW GOOD A BOWLER THEY THIK THEY ARE.
Put then on a PBA Sports shot, most couldn't' hit 200. Good point

Maybe one of the very REASONS why there has never been a 300 game since this alley opened in 1957! WOOD,,,, the real Old school test of a bowlers skills... and the fact that they CHANGE THE PATTERN from week to week,,,, 35, 38, and 40 foot... them Salt of the Earth Farm boys like a challenge! (:)

I DREAM OF BEING THE FIRST ON THIS BEAUTIFUL 6 LANE bowling alley!!!! Will Iceman be that person..... odds are very slim,,,, but I have never in my life backed down to a challenge.... IT WOOD BE a moment in my LIFE like NO OTHER!!! Other then the day I met my wife for the FIRST TIME!! ;)

The reason synthetic came to be was simply a matter of MONEY! MUCH cheaper, in all aspects then wood! I just hope like Lawn Tennis and clay court tennis, they don't all disappear!

Mudpuppy
07-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Yes Iceman wood is more challenging. I'm not knocking wood just saying it's days are numbered and it's not as good of a lane surface as synthetic. But yes there are drawbacks to synthetic - the biggest one is the pollution of the manufacturing process. But they are far more consistent than a wood lane. That's why they switched to them.

MICHAEL
07-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Yes Iceman wood is more challenging. I'm not knocking wood just saying it's days are numbered and it's not as good of a lane surface as synthetic. But yes there are drawbacks to synthetic - the biggest one is the pollution of the manufacturing process. But they are far more consistent than a wood lane. That's why they switched to them.

In all due respect to your thoughts mud,,,, I think the MAIN reason was defiantly expense! Wood lanes are VERY labor intensive, and materials cost more.

synthetic lanes I was told come in sections and take a heck of a lot less time to install. ( what I have been told, I need to do some research on that).

I am not sure the reason they came up with synthetic was to make our bowling easier, or to even give us higher scores. ( that was just a goodie that came with the cheaper package, and much less maintenance!

Challenging, mud is what bowling should be, not so damn easy.... Look at what I did,,, on synthetic... last year?? "I'ts NOT right Mud!!" LOL

I started bowling at 62,,, then sanctioned leagues at 63... even my first year I have the high scratch trophy on my mantle place of 298!
That CRAZY,,, bowing a 298 my first year.... I think I even posted a picture of it.

I tell you what Mud,,,, I am REALLY looking forward to bowling on wood! I am going to join that league, and see if I can do some great scores.

Any advice as to how to play them would be appreciated, maybe even brand or type of ball.

This is going to be ONE HELL OF AND ADVENTURE.... I can't hardly WAIT to see how it all turns out, and make some new friends in Plattsburg!!
They don't bowl for MONEY,,, WHICH I LIKE!! They bowl for the love of sport, and their league fee's are only 8 bucks a night!

manke
07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Iceman you are correct it costs alot more to keep up with wood lanes!! I was wondering do they hand keep the scores?

Mudpuppy
07-25-2014, 03:33 PM
In all due respect to your thoughts mud,,,, I think the MAIN reason was defiantly expense! Wood lanes are VERY labor intensive, and materials cost more.

synthetic lanes I was told come in sections and take a heck of a lot less time to install. ( what I have been told, I need to do some research on that).

I am not sure the reason they came up with synthetic was to make our bowling easier, or to even give us higher scores. ( that was just a goodie that came with the cheaper package, and much less maintenance!

Challenging, mud is what bowling should be, not so damn easy.... Look at what I did,,, on synthetic... last year?? "I'ts NOT right Mud!!" LOL

I started bowling at 62,,, then sanctioned leagues at 63... even my first year I have the high scratch trophy on my mantle place of 298!
That CRAZY,,, bowing a 298 my first year.... I think I even posted a picture of it.

I tell you what Mud,,,, I am REALLY looking forward to bowling on wood! I am going to join that league, and see if I can do some great scores.

Any advice as to how to play them would be appreciated, maybe even brand or type of ball.

This is going to be ONE HELL OF AND ADVENTURE.... I can't hardly WAIT to see how it all turns out, and make some new friends in Plattsburg!!
They don't bowl for MONEY,,, WHICH I LIKE!! They bowl for the love of sport, and their league fee's are only 8 bucks a night!

Only one way to solve this Iceman - if I drive to KC and we go bowl on the wood. How's the weather in November there? Cold. Awesome. I'll see you then.

MICHAEL
07-26-2014, 11:45 AM
I want to invited all of you to come bowl with Iceman tonight, 6pm to 10pm,,, BYOB,,,,,for a night of COOL, Fun, practice! Bowl on a Mom, Pop owned personal well taken care of WOOD LANE!! 2 bucks a game.... :D

MICHAEL
07-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Iceman you are correct it costs alot more to keep up with wood lanes!! I was wondering do they hand keep the scores?

Yes paper, and over-head projector!! (:) You actually get to do math!! LOL

Blacksox1
07-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Can we get a pic of Iceman in action on these wood lanes? Please!

MICHAEL
07-27-2014, 10:55 PM
As Shakespeare once wrote,,, ( A mid summer’s night Bowl ), it was that and more! What a night, from beginning to end.

We all had some pretty good scores,,, each and every one of us! We also had some humbling scores, but they occurred when we were practicing different techniques, and experimenting with different balls.

Pat Henderson did show up, and did some damage to the lanes… with some high scores! The Missouri Hall of Fame bowler!

The guy who had the highest game of the night was Geneo2u of this website, with a crushing 286!

Gene started out with a 10 pin spare then strikes all the way to the 10th frame last shot!!! HE ALMOST BECAME A FRICKEN the second person to ever bowl a 300 on those lanes…

((( the lanes we were on had not been oiled since the day before! Not only that,,,,, but there was a kids party the day before on the lanes.

My high game was a 254, Pat Henderson, his fist time playing this establishment had a high game of 265! One of the local top guns had some good games, 233, and 227. Then we chose sides to bowl for the big bucks!!

Our team was the under dog, Gene, Joyce and Ice,,,,, against the Hall of famer PAT HENDERSON,, nicked named ( THE BEAST), Scott, and Gerogia!

Both teams had ONE women, and two men

Gene exploded, like a over ripe watermelon that had been dropped from a tall Walnut Tree!! 286!!

We turned on the overhead projector for this Big Buck Challenge! There Was all our names projected up at the white screen like at a drive in theater!! I always wounded what My name would look like in lights.. There was my name, ICEMAN in all its Glory glowing like thoughts of grandeur we all had anticipation of A Victory over each others team, and maybe the second person to roll a 300 game in all its history! http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/money_zpsbdb91203.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/money_zpsbdb91203.jpg.html)

We won this 1st battle of The Titans, we won by 21 pins.

This did not settle well with their huge Ego’s, so they demanded another, bout,,,to prove their worthiness against the Iceman Team!!

They then brought in a new top gun, Chris, Georgia’s husband and Co owner, so it was Gene, Joyce and Iceman, up against The Beast, (Pat Henderson) , and one of the Top Guns of the local Thursday night mens league, Left hander Scott, The Pin destroyer ,,,,,, and Limping Chris the Owne!! Chris in all fairness to him he is recovering from foot surgery, and has some metal rods in his foot. So he was not even close to his normal bowling form. Talk about one tough son of a gun… rod’s in his foot, and bowling!! Don't mess with Chris, one tough Farm Boy!

They won the second game by 29 pins! It was right down to last frame just like the first game.

There was a lot of BIG BUCKS CHANGE hands on the wagers, but in the end it turned out to be a DRAW!!!

One vitory for Gene, Joyce, and Iceman,,,,One victory for the house team with the legendary Pat Henderson!

Next week will ONCE AND FOR ALL find out JUST WHO, is WHO’s DADDY!!! LOL

What happen next would never happen at any AMF lanes…. Georgia, (one of the owners) brought out a big tub of homemade Ice Cream…. HUMMMMMM… hum…
ICEMAN, LOVES ICECREAM!!! Next to bowling my favorite thing to do, eat ICECREAM!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/crankicecreammachine2_zps0b6821f3.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/crankicecreammachine2_zps0b6821f3.jpg.html)

I am thinking very seriously about moving up that way, I like that small town bowling alley, and the friendly warm hearted people that bowl there!

Geneo2u,,, said it was the most FUN he had ever had bowling!

I would have to agree,,,, the cutting up and bets with BIG MONEY, the fact that you can bring your own pizza, or fried chicken to this wonderful bowling alley just adds to the hominess!!

Gene said to me in the parking lot that many of his leagues just aren’t that much fun anymore, but WHAT HAPPENED Saturday in Plattsburg Bowling Lanes at the HOME TOWN FRENDLY, neighborly, Mom and POP lane,,, was 4 hours of Bliss!!

You can bet ICEMAN, Joyce, Gene, and Pat, will be there again,,,, next week, unless its rented out! When they rent the alley out, it’s the whole alley, all 6 lanes, and everything is included, shoes balls ect…

I am sure I will be doing just that some time in the near future !

Amyers
07-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Pretty cool iceman wish that wasn't so far away and I would join in. I heard talk of Pat Henderson up in St. Louis when I used to live out that way. Good to hear the man lives up to the reputation all these years later.

MICHAEL
07-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Pretty cool iceman wish that wasn't so far away and I would join in. I heard talk of Pat Henderson up in St. Louis when I used to live out that way. Good to hear the man lives up to the reputation all these years later.

Hey,,, he just did ANOTHER 803 on his birthday last week, in league! We call him THE BEAST! ,,, for some reason he calls me animal!! LOL

If you go to awards.com and look him up,,, it's wild... Godzilla Amounts of awards,,, 300s, 800s,,, you name it... go to USBC Awards and simply click on find bowler,,, type Pat Henderson, Missouri Kansas city area,,, and get and eye full!! LOL

Pat asked me this Saturday at the lanes in Plattsburg if I wanted to bowl on his team this FRICKEN FALL!..... my reply...... YOU Damn Right I do!!!
To bowl with THE BEAST , and learn from him would be an honor!! Pat just turn 60, but still rolling them great scores out!!

Amyers
07-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Hey,,, he just did ANOTHER 803 on his birthday last week, in league! We call him THE BEAST! ,,, for some reason he calls me animal!! LOL

If you go to awards.com and look him up,,, it's wild... Godzilla Amounts of awards,,, 300s, 800s,,, you name it... go to USBC Awards and simply click on find bowler,,, type Pat Henderson, Missouri Kansas city area,,, and get and eye full!! LOL

Pat asked me this Saturday at the lanes in Plattsburg if I wanted to bowl on his team this FRICKEN FALL!..... my reply...... YOU Damn Right I do!!!
To bowl with THE BEAST , and learn from him would be an honor!! Pat just turn 60, but still rolling them great scores out!!

Can't pass an opportunity like that up. I would love to team up with someone like that for a while. I bowl with some talented guys but Pat's in a different league.

Blacksox1
07-28-2014, 01:18 AM
Love the ice cream pic. Ice cream + Iceman = honor scores ? Looks like a great place to bowl a fall league. Enjoy that place for as long as you can.

MICHAEL
07-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Pat Henderson does throw tournaments himself.... He Talked to Chris and Georgia, about maybe having a one in the future. Co I have seen some he has thrown and they run smooth. Pat knows bowling Well! He also has a lot of connections and people he could probably get to make the short drive! We shall see!!!

MICHAEL
07-30-2014, 01:04 AM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00457_zps904f6add.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00457_zps904f6add.jpg.html)

YOU don't see this hardly ever at bowing establishments anymore. Its called Manual, use your own head scoring!! I know many bowlers, some even league bowlers that don't have a clue how to keep score!!! The rely on the computer to do it all!

This is what we use at the Plattsburg Bowling Alley in Plattsburg Missouri!! A real step back in time!!!! Does anyone else still use paper, and the over head projector??

A true you don't see it much anymore!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00430_zpsa8ef56d0.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00430_zpsa8ef56d0.jpg.html)

Blacksox1
07-30-2014, 01:09 AM
I remember the day, when the desk would hand you a sheet of paper, from a large pad. It looks a lot like the one above. You could read the ads and it had room to score at least 16 games. Memory lane for sure.

Blacksox1
07-30-2014, 01:11 AM
The plastic ones were for league. Way back in time.

Mike White
07-30-2014, 03:21 AM
The plastic ones were for league. Way back in time.

I still have a plastic one with my 300 game on it around here somewhere.

MICHAEL
07-30-2014, 09:22 AM
I still have a plastic one with my 300 game on it around here somewhere.

That's cool,,, you should get a nice frame, and hang it on the wall!

MICHAEL
07-30-2014, 09:27 AM
still use the overhead projectors? If so where? Could this be the LAST 3 still in use!?

MICHAEL
07-30-2014, 09:30 AM
still use the overhead projectors? If so where? Could this be one of the FEW AROUND that still works!!

All three work like new at this retro step back in time bowling alley...

Amyers
07-30-2014, 09:39 AM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00457_zps904f6add.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00457_zps904f6add.jpg.html)

YOU don't see this hardly ever at bowing establishments anymore. Its called Manual, use your own head scoring!! I know many bowlers, some even league bowlers that don't have a clue how to keep score!!! The rely on the computer to do it all!

This is what we use at the Plattsburg Bowling Alley in Plattsburg Missouri!! A real step back in time!!!! Does anyone else still use paper, and the over head projector??

A true you don't see it much anymore!!

Wow that brings back memories.

mc_runner
07-30-2014, 09:54 AM
There's a duckpin alley near me that not only has overhead projectors... they have a wooden sweeper arm that you have to step on a pedal to use! I'm not sure if 10 pin alleys ever used it but its definitely vintage and pretty cool to use.

rv driver
07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
I remember well using paper and pencil. I've still got my 260+ high game, scored on paper somewhere... That happened in 198...3, I think.

MICHAEL
08-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Getting ready for a trip to Plattsburg! Like I said if they have delivery, and anyone shows up I will buy the pizza's!! BYOB.... Remember you can bring your own beer, or mixed what-ever!

Starting to train for my up coming challenge from the LION! Who knows, we might be bowling on wood! Who wood know,,,, not me!! LOL

Its open bowling is only Friday and Saturday from 6pm to 10... or when ever as Chris says.... he is the part owner!

MICHAEL
08-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Well I didn't know if anyone was going to be at my NEW FAVORITE wood alley in Plattsburg, but Gene02u was there parked in front Ready to bowl. Gene lives about the same distance as Ice from this Fantastic piece of WOOD HISTRORY Bowling alley! Wood lanes around here, like Bob mentioned are almost as hard to find as a Pink Grisly Bear!

I had the great opportunity to meet the other co operator of Plattsburg Bowling alley! We had a great time talking about bowling, and how he, ( his name is Lee, and Chris), want to keep it wood, and that will not change!

Chris in his mid 70s, and Lee, is 83, but they don't look it at all!

In fact I now believe that owning a wood bowling alley is a form of eternal younth!
YES,,, it just might keep you young! WHO needs to look for that preverbal Fountain of Youth, when all you really need is a Ventage Wood Bowling alley!

This was my fist time meeting Lee, we hit it off WELL,,, had a great time talking about bowling!

In Fact,,, I will be on the same TEAM that the two owners bowl on, and took first place last year. Its the Thursday night men's league, 6 lanes 30 bowling Farm boys that love the sport of bowling! They don't bowl for money,,,, LIKE ICEMAN,,, they bowl for the shear pleasure, and Sport of the game!

One reason why he said to me they keep the price down, 8 bucks! I said, wow,,, do you make enough to cover expenses??? He said we, do enough to cover expenses, and then a little, but they weren't getting RICH at all with money, but Rich in memories, and friendships!

They are both ONE OF A KIND.... Caring Farm guys,,,,,The Salt of the Earth,,, that care about people and all the hardships many are going through at this tough period, of job losses, and stagnant wages! He said to me: "Sure, Ice, we could charge more, and it would help with the profits, but we just want to make enough to pay the bills, and operating expenses. Summer time they only have open bowing Friday and Saturday, 6 to 10, but they do book quite a few parties during the summer at very reasonable prices... you get the whole alley for you party which includes balls, and shoes.

ANYWAY, Ice found out he will be bowing with the Co-Operators,,,,, Lee, and Chris this fall! The TEAM that Won First Place Last year! LOL
We Start August the 28!!

ICEMAN is in LOVE WITH THIS PLACE.... I get the feeling Gene,,, (Geneo2u) is 2!!! I am seriously thinking of looking for a house that is at least half the distance from Plattsburg, if not in Plattsburg!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00459_zpsad136526.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00459_zpsad136526.jpg.html)

I did buy two large pizza's yesterday for everyone!! WE HAD A GREAT TIME!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00458_zps82dfeed6.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00458_zps82dfeed6.jpg.html)
ICEMAN loves Pizza,,,, Iceman loves wife!!! hummm,,,, hum!!! (most of the time, unless she is mean to ME!!)

MICHAEL
08-16-2014, 10:53 AM
I know Gene and Mary are going to the lake, but do have a group of other bowlers from around town going to those pristine wood lanes in Plattsburg Missouri tonight. The Beast Pat Henderson will be there with a group of his friends. Bring you own beer, mixed drinks treats and have a GREAT TIME!! 6pm to 10, or when ever!!!

My men's league starts up next Thursday,,, looking forward to that. 6 lanes full 5 men teams.

I ask what happens if one of the lanes break down,,, LEE just smiled and said, that does require ingenuity, and creative movement at the lanes. I don't think it happens much, they are well taken care of!

This will be my first time bowing a winter league on wood!

Like I have said, we HAVE A GREAT time cutting up and bowing for imaginary Big Bucks! Come on down if your not doing anything.

JUST remember the hours... 6pm to 10pm! only open bowling is Friday and Saturday, unless they have a party on the books!

MICHAEL
08-17-2014, 11:08 AM
I swear if I died and went to heaven, this is what I hope its like... ,, ( I HOPE!) LOL Some pictures from last night! In their smoking room, they also have a ball cleaner that Chris purchased a while back on Ebay for 300 bucks (GREAT CONDITION),,, they also have a microwave that bowlers can use, along with an refrigerator, that had some beer in it, that according to Chris, has been there since last fall league... lol.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00466_zps6db7c623.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00466_zps6db7c623.jpg.html)

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00468_zps6b6b77bf.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00468_zps6b6b77bf.jpg.html)

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00467_zps4047bf67.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00467_zps4047bf67.jpg.html)

shotstack2, One of the leasers of this fine establishment, Georgia,,, tried to join bowlingboards.com a while back, it accepted her registration, but she got a message something to the effect, bared for logging in??? Bowl if you know how to fix this let me know, and I will pass it on to her. Georgia does not have a computer at home, but does log on at work! She said if I didn't get this fixed, she was not going to make home ice-cream anymore for ICEMAN and company!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00473_zps7aed79a0.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00473_zps7aed79a0.jpg.html)

Beer, Ice-Cream, fellowship, and Bowling,,,,,,HUMMMM,,,, hummmm!!! LIfe is Good!! Thanks YOU Georgia!! Georgia is now on this site as ( shortstack2 ) She doesn't have a computer at home, (( they don't have electricity))) but she does get on line at work! LOL She should be on soon! Thanks bowl1820 for the help!

MICHAEL
08-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Thursday at 6:30 I start my first WOOD LEGAGE at Plattsbug on the all male team. 6 lanes, 5 man teams, and its full! Looking forward to the adventure! My first league even on Real Wood!

rv driver
08-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Thursday at 6:30 I start my first WOOD LEGAGE at Plattsbug on the all male team. 6 lanes, 5 man teams, and its full! Looking forward to the adventure! My first league even on Real Wood!
Good luck in the Retrospective League, Ice!

MICHAEL
08-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Got the word today that my oldest Son will be bowling with us on Thursday Night! Mike is new to bowling but had some great games his first year, on Tuesday nights with Iceman. Had about a half dozen 600 plus games,,, and a few high individual games,,, I remember one where he started out with 8 strikes,,, then a ringing ten PIN! GRRRRRR... I thought to myself, WOW a 300 game first league he has every bowled, First finger tip ball ect ect.
He has the Gift.... it will be interesting to see him bowl on the wood!

We had another GREAT TIME there yesterday, Gene, Mary, Joyce, and Iceman! He put a fresh 40 ft oil pattern down,,, and it was challenging to say the least!!! But ONE hell of a lot of fun..... He sales GREAT HOT DOGS at the lanes,,,, perfect way to end a FUN NIGHT OF BOWLING in a Wonderful small town alley!!!

When I die,,, I hope this is what HEAVEN is LIKE!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/8ec1363b-b4be-48e1-b8d1-1817597825a9_zps1b29a9d3.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/8ec1363b-b4be-48e1-b8d1-1817597825a9_zps1b29a9d3.jpg.html)

WHY ,,,,,,,, do,,,,,,, I have this feeling, that he will be KEEPING AN EYE-Ball on ICEMAN!

Amyers
08-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Sounds really cool iceman.

rv driver
08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
You'll have to keep an "eye" on that son of yours...

MICHAEL
10-02-2014, 10:41 AM
You'll have to keep an "eye" on that son of yours...

VERY GOOD,, RV!!! Eye will do my BEST!!! LOL

One thing that I found out about these wood lanes, and the league in general is this:

1. Each Thursday they try out a different pattern on their oil machine!

2. You never know what to expect in regards to oil?

3. two weeks ago they chose number 36 on their machine, which placed a lot of oil on the outside, (according to their reference guide that came with their reconditioned oil machine that I have pictures in an earlier post.

4. I must say its VERY challenging trying to hit that 200 game for me and my son!

5. He was discouraged with his scores on the wood. I am not sure its so MUCH THE WOOD, but rather the huge changes in not only patterns, but the length that the put the pattern down. They not only change the type of pattern each week but also the length! form 34 feet to 40 feet.

Our averages at the Mom and Pop wood lane alley are going SOUTH! I was lucky two weeks ago, ( last time Ice bowled the wood lanes), to slip by with one 200 plus game. It was the 3rd game, and I made adjustment.

I look at it as a FUN CHALLAGE,,, each week not knowing the pattern, or the length.... its no WOUNDER that no one has a 200 average at this great establishment,,,, YET!! and never been a 300 or 800 thrown since it opened in 1957!!

got_a_300
10-05-2014, 10:13 PM
I look at it as a FUN CHALLAGE,,, each week not knowing the pattern, or the length....

Ice that will make you a better bowler as you will not get used to just
one pattern and you should be able to go and bowl on any lanes in the
world.

Just look at the Pros they don't bowl on the same pattern every week
and they do alright. The new owners of our center it seems have started
to change our shot from week to week also not so much the length but
the amount of oil that is laid down and where on the lanes.

One week we'll come in and the lanes will be flooded and the next they will
be dry and the next they will be perfect and the next who knows what they
have in store for us.

I personally do not mind it at all as it is helping me to become a much, much,
more versatile bowler a lot more than I was to start with.

MICHAEL
10-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Well we had a good night on the Wood lanes,,, I had a terrible first game using the Hyper-Cell, then changed over in the 9 frame of first game to the Deadly-Aim, and Walla!!

(this was my original Deadly-Aim), not the one that you gave me Rob! Huge difference between the way yours is drilled, and my original one! Mine is a VERY,,VERY controlled steady arc to the pocket, while yours has that hockey stick snap right at the end of its journey to the pocket.

The ball you gave me has a great feel coming off my hand, but I need to TAME that snap at the end. Can this be accomplished with surface? I have not touched it since bring it home, other then drilling your thumb plug out and installing the vise system. (remember they also come with polish on the ball from the factory)

After pulling my original deadly aim out threw a 228, and 234! for a low 600 series,,, considering the FRICKEN FIRST game I was happy. The pattern changes every week at these challenging wood lanes. This week it was a standard 38 foot house pattern.

As I have mentioned before they change not only the length, but type of pattern each and every week!

ICEMAN loves this MOM and POP historic wood lane bowling establishment,,,, ( THANK your Bowling God for making ICEMAN aware of these wonderful challenging wood lanes) Amen!

Aslan,,, pictured below one of the local Farm Girls, that shows up each week after attending her Farm chores to BOWL! Yes, Aslan,,, The Farmers Daughter!
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/dumbdoctor/Animations/thtits.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/dumbdoctor/media/Animations/thtits.gif.html)

Amyers
10-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Ice I don't think the Hyper-Cell is your best option on wood.

MICHAEL
10-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Ice I don't think the Hyper-Cell is your best option on wood.

Remember Amyers they change the length, and type of pattern every week. In a sense its between a house and sports pattern, you never know what ball you will be using to conquer the oil layout.

They really don't do Sports patterns, but do change the lay out every week.

One tuff pattern they did two weeks ago was heavier oil on the outside verses the inside! It was similar to the US OPEN, but not as slick on the outside.

I must say its a challenge, that I look forward to each week!!!

I am sure that my average will suffer bowling these Farm Boy Tough Conditions, but I think in the long run it is going to take me to a higher level!

GREAT GROUP OF GUYS,,, many been bowling together in this small 6 lane alley for over 30 years.... One young man came up to me with his Bib-Overalls hook on one side, and hanging down to his waste on the other side and said that he had been bowling at Plattsburg Lanes since he was 3 years old. He had his two kids there with him, a boy and girl maybe 6 and 8 years old that will be bowing in his foot steps as they get older.

Its a GREAT GROUP,,, they bowl for GLORY and Comradeship, not MONEY! Many bring their own beer, and treat's which they many times share with the other bowlers,,, even on occasion, one of the owners wifes makes Ice Cream, and shares it with everyone!

ITS HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!

Doesn't get any better then this!!! Its a 37 mile trip for ICEMAN, but worth every mile!!!

P.S.
species come from all over the galaxy to experience, the love, fellowship, and ICECREAM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b34/Malafide/1742767.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Malafide/media/1742767.gif.html)