PDA

View Full Version : Grip?

rv driver
07-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Rob, or anyone else knowledgeable who has an opinion:

This is the first fingertip grip I've ever thrown. I notice that I *think* I'm gripping the ball too hard. I feel like I've always gripped the ball too hard, but the feeling seems to be exaggerated with the fingertip. What I'm noticing is that I'm getting some tendon pain as a result of my ring finger pulling too hard on the finger hole. Somehow, i don't think that should be happening! Have never had that pain with a conventional grip. With the fingertip, it feels like I'm join to lose the ball on the backswing. Perhaps just a mental thing, because the grips are nice and tight, and the thumb fits snugly. Any suggestions for what I should be feeling in the way of digit tension (such as more on the pads of the fingers than on the thumb, etc.), or what I should be targeting in the way of grip pressure?

fortheloveofbowling
07-04-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't know how long you have used a figertip but if you are having tendon pain that is something you want address quickly. it sounds like the span may be a little long. Obviously, with any grip it should feel relaxed and comfortable.

rv driver
07-04-2014, 11:37 PM
I don't know how long you have used a figertip but if you are having tendon pain that is something you want address quickly. it sounds like the span may be a little long. Obviously, with any grip it should feel relaxed and comfortable.
Well, when I simply put my hand into the ball, it's very comfortable. when i go to actually throw the ball, I start to really grab it. I guess i just don't know how tightly I'm supposed to squeeze with this grip.

bowl1820
07-04-2014, 11:56 PM
I guess i just don't know how tightly I'm supposed to squeeze with this grip.

It's hard to describe grip pressure (feel) Ron Clifton described it like this:

"You need to hold the ball like your holding a baby bird or an egg in your hand. If your ball fits properly you should not have to squeeze the ball anywhere in the swing or during the release."

Amyers
07-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Well, when I simply put my hand into the ball, it's very comfortable. when i go to actually throw the ball, I start to really grab it. I guess i just don't know how tightly I'm supposed to squeeze with this grip.

RV i have struggled with that a lot and still do some you'll notice I take a while to throw the ball in my videos. That's me trying to relax my hand. When switching from a conventional grip relaxing the hand is one of the hardest things to get used to. If you can tell your driller about the discomfort and have him watch you throw a few balls. He may be able to tell if your gripping or if something's wrong with the fit.

MICHAEL
07-05-2014, 04:05 AM
It's hard to describe grip pressure (feel) Ron Clifton described it like this:

"You need to hold the ball like your holding a baby bird or an egg in your hand. If your ball fits properly you should not have to squeeze the ball anywhere in the swing or during the release."

I 've heard that same thing , ( holding a baby bird, or egg ) in describing how to hold a golf club also!

rv driver
07-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it's a mental thing, because the ball is heavy, so you want to grip it real hard. i had problems with that in a conventional grip, too, that I never corrected. Fingertip has compounded it. when I relax, the pain goes away.