PDA

View Full Version : gamechanger

Beagle
07-14-2014, 09:36 PM
read his new book...luv it...emphasized importance of footwork and how that will create revs...not just release technique...its called leverage........side note...baker mentioned that 2 bowlers don't fall into his parameters, Couch and Holman........yrs ago there was an article that said that if u put the head of Mark Roth on Marshall Holman's shoulders he would have of won over 100 titles..........I believe the writer of the article was Mark Baker......................

Aslan
07-14-2014, 11:41 PM
I need to get that book.

Hampe
07-15-2014, 11:11 AM
I read the first chapter preview after lunch, bought it for Kindle this afternoon......reading it now :D

Footwork and timing are probably my most glaring flaws at the moment and what I've targeted to work on this summer. I can tell already from the first chapter that my timing is way off (already knew that though).....now I'm looking forward to reading up on ideas how to fix it.

Beagle
07-15-2014, 11:17 AM
join the club....realized same thing...if I get that somewhat straightened out u will throw more ball/revs naturally

Bunny
07-15-2014, 01:00 PM
I need to get that book.

I have a lesson with Mark tomorrow and can pick you up a signed copy if you like. :p

Or better yet. Sign up for a $20 lesson and get a signed copy from him personally!

Mark is also working on an instructional DVD. That will be very cool.

Bunny
07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I read the first chapter preview after lunch, bought it for Kindle this afternoon......reading it now :D

Footwork and timing are probably my most glaring flaws at the moment and what I've targeted to work on this summer. I can tell already from the first chapter that my timing is way off (already knew that though).....now I'm looking forward to reading up on ideas how to fix it.

My last lesson he tightened up my footwork. I wasn't drifting but just needed my walk to be more purposeful. It was like I was too casual.

I'm happy to report my average has gone up significantly since that lesson.

classygranny
07-15-2014, 10:52 PM
I have a lesson with Mark tomorrow and can pick you up a signed copy if you like. :p

Or better yet. Sign up for a $20 lesson and get a signed copy from him personally!

Mark is also working on an instructional DVD. That will be very cool.

Enjoy the lesson!!! Glad to hear the average is rising.

If I didn't already have the book (and believe me, it is really marked up, highlighted, pages noted with sticky notes), I would consider getting a signed copy. Maybe someday I'll just take my ratty copy to him to sign...like at CampBakes (:>

A DVD would be awesome!

tccstudent
07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
I read some of that book one thing I took away from it is to quit worrying about trying to come up with textbook timing I fit in one of those catagorys like xouch and holman. As long as I stay balanced at the line I can throw a good ball if I get a little fast and start falling off then I start missing my mark and tugging the ball so I put much more emphasis on balance tjen I do timing

Bunny
07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Enjoy the lesson!!! Glad to hear the average is rising.

If I didn't already have the book (and believe me, it is really marked up, highlighted, pages noted with sticky notes), I would consider getting a signed copy. Maybe someday I'll just take my ratty copy to him to sign...like at CampBakes (:>

A DVD would be awesome!

Thanks Classy G! Mark is done with the DVD and it will be out soon. He's really excited and has gotten bulk pre-orders already. It sounds like it will be really good.

My lesson was a bit tougher this time.

1. Since we tightened up my foot work I was getting too close to the foul line and pulling my shoulders and upper body back, so he moved my start point back a few inches.

2. I was getting too fast with my feet. "Slow down, Speed Racer" was funny.

3. I was sliding to the left rather than straight.

So everything was footwork and timing. Which was tough for me. I was having trouble thinking about my feet and my upper body at the same time. The other lessons I've had with Mark I've been able to implement what he tells me pretty quickly. Not this time. I was a little frustrated, but could definitely feel when it all came together.

As we were wrapping up I said "Let's end on a good one, okay!" He chuckled. (Probably because I hadn't thrown very many good ones up to that point.) Mark has a good sense of humor and squints his eyes when he laughs so it makes me laugh too.

Anyway, I managed to roll a great shot for a strike, so we both got a big kick out of that! :

Joker
07-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Had no idea that footwork could increase revs

Hampe
07-23-2014, 03:47 AM
That's awesome Bunny....keep at it :).

I had my first practice session yesterday after reading Gamechanger, and worked on fixing my footwork/timing. I also switched from 4 to 5 step to help change the timing. I'm still not to the point where I want to be (arm parallel when slide foot gets flat), I'm still a bit early with the ball, but I could really feel on a few shots yesterday what a huge difference the extra split second of leverage at the line makes. I was getting the same or more revs with less effort. I didn't have to "hit up" on the ball as much as I did with my super early timing, just had to let it roll off my fingers and push it out on the lane.

I obviously wasn't expecting to get it down pat in one session, but now I can't wait to keep working on it. I can't wait to see my coach's face when he gets back from vacation in August and sees my new approach :D.

Make sure to tell Mark THANKS SO MUCH from me for writing that book :). I knew there was something wrong with my timing but I didn't know what exactly. His book has given me a clear picture of what I need to fix.

zdawg
07-23-2014, 04:26 AM
Man, I HOPE I can get to work soon. I'm in dire need of Mark's direction as this summer league my footwork is all out of wack, bad footwork = bad timing = bad swing = bad release its really all connected as he likes to say. I KNOW there is something really wrong with my footwork, I'm 90% sure its my pivot step as I've developed pain in the ligaments in that ankle and find that I am missing right whereas I used to never do that.

Unfortunately with virtually no funds to spare except for the bare necessities like rent/food and my Friday summer league (which I may have to bow out of shortly), I'm stuck trying not to get too frustrated or injure myself (in the case of my ankle).

Beagle
07-23-2014, 10:17 AM
how did u fix that sliding to the left? I know I have that problem.....was thinking mayb slide toward target?

Amyers
07-23-2014, 10:21 AM
how did u fix that sliding to the left? I know I have that problem.....was thinking mayb slide toward target?

Your slide foot should always be pointed towards your target

Bunny
07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
That's awesome Bunny....keep at it :).

I had my first practice session yesterday after reading Gamechanger, and worked on fixing my footwork/timing. I also switched from 4 to 5 step to help change the timing. I'm still not to the point where I want to be (arm parallel when slide foot gets flat), I'm still a bit early with the ball, but I could really feel on a few shots yesterday what a huge difference the extra split second of leverage at the line makes. I was getting the same or more revs with less effort. I didn't have to "hit up" on the ball as much as I did with my super early timing, just had to let it roll off my fingers and push it out on the lane.

I obviously wasn't expecting to get it down pat in one session, but now I can't wait to keep working on it. I can't wait to see my coach's face when he gets back from vacation in August and sees my new approach :D.

Make sure to tell Mark THANKS SO MUCH from me for writing that book :). I knew there was something wrong with my timing but I didn't know what exactly. His book has given me a clear picture of what I need to fix.

Thanks Hampe! It is amazing how much "time" it feels like you have when your timing is right. It's like I have all kinds of time to put revs on the ball.

Lol! Going from a 4 step to a 5 step is going trip him out.

I felt a lot better last night. I slowed my approach down and tried to just keep it smooth. Slowing my feet down has given me time to swing without rushing.

I'll tell him. I have a lesson next Wednesday. :)

Bunny
07-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Man, I HOPE I can get to work soon. I'm in dire need of Mark's direction as this summer league my footwork is all out of wack, bad footwork = bad timing = bad swing = bad release its really all connected as he likes to say. I KNOW there is something really wrong with my footwork, I'm 90% sure its my pivot step as I've developed pain in the ligaments in that ankle and find that I am missing right whereas I used to never do that.

Unfortunately with virtually no funds to spare except for the bare necessities like rent/food and my Friday summer league (which I may have to bow out of shortly), I'm stuck trying not to get too frustrated or injure myself (in the case of my ankle).

Lol! Mark's circle of bowling. I'm familiar with it!

Fingers crossed!

Hang in there and take good care of yourself! :)

rv driver
07-30-2014, 09:51 PM
I bought that book for Nook. Turning out to be a great read. Lots of insights I've never thought of.

Beagle
08-13-2014, 09:44 PM
In the book, he mentioned the changes that PDW had to make cuz of these reactives. Quite a few pros fell by the wayside when these balls came out. My question is what changes would marshall Holman have to make to compete at a high level. I patterned my game somewhat like his, Things that he did which contradict what I have read on these boards include: 1) he pushed the ball on 1st step in 5 step approach 2) he had an in out swing 3) slid while releasing ball 4) had one crossover step on 2nd step, the 4th step was a short pivot rather than crossover. Would a guy have to alter some or all of those nowadays? Or maybe something else?

RobLV1
08-13-2014, 10:03 PM
In the book, he mentioned the changes that PDW had to make cuz of these reactives. Quite a few pros fell by the wayside when these balls came out. My question is what changes would marshall Holman have to make to compete at a high level. I patterned my game somewhat like his, Things that he did which contradict what I have read on these boards include: 1) he pushed the ball on 1st step in 5 step approach 2) he had an in out swing 3) slid while releasing ball 4) had one crossover step on 2nd step, the 4th step was a short pivot rather than crossover. Would a guy have to alter some or all of those nowadays? Or maybe something else?

Personally, I believe that Marshall Holman was, in fact, the first transitional bowler; combining traditional with contemporary techneques. I don't really think that he would have had to change much at all to compete with modern equipment on modern lane conditions.

Beagle
08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Wow surprised u said that. I thought him and Ballard had too slow of speed for now. Maybe I read that incorrectly. I know u teach 2 crossovers, but one is sufficient?