PDA

View Full Version : Good bowling ball for beginner?

andy569
07-15-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm new to the forums so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, sorry if it isn't.

So I started bowling a lot last summer but that summer I only bowled flat(I think that's what it's called?), I didn't hook. After the summer ended I didn't bowl that much after until the start of this summer. I decided to start learning how to hook, I watched one video on how to do it and I gave it a shot and kind of adjusted and self-taught myself. I'll probably be watching more videos for tips on technique and things like that.

So I was wondering what would be a good bowling ball for a beginning hooker? I started bowling again in July and I've gone bowling about once a week. My high game so far is 226 and my average is about 140, and I've been using the stock ball they have at my local bowling alley, I believe it's a "Smart Ball." I'd like to get my own bowling ball and continue to improve my game so it'd be great if you guys could recommend me a good bowling ball.

Thanks!

rv driver
07-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Here are some suggestions:
Look for an "entry-level" reactive ball.

My favorites are the DV8 Misfit and the Motiv Ascent. But I'd also look at stuff like the Columbia Freeze, the Roto-Grip up Roar, and the Storm Tropical Breeze, or maybe the Wipe Out. Brunswick's entry ball is the Strike King. I'd suggest having your local pro shop pro watch you throw a few and make suggestions, because each ball reacts differently and has a different motion. You'll want to find one that does what you want it to do, what you can make it do, and does what you want to see the ball do. The pro can help you do that.

mike_thomas93
07-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Yeah I agree with RV. Better to start off from the bottom with an Entry-level ball, that corresponds to your current hook amount. RV pretty much mentioned plenty of examples of entry-level balls. And yes have a pro shop operator take a look at you on the lanes in a few shots, and should be able to get a better idea of what will be the best fit for your game. RV's said it spot on. Got 2 votes on that

Amyers
07-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Sound like RV nailed it here find a good pro shop where they can watch you throw the ball

fortheloveofbowling
07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Like the other guys are saying, let the pro shop guy look at your game to give some advice. I would recommend a mid level ball with some surface like a wipe out that rv had on his list. With that type of ball you are going to get a even reaction and keep you away from skid flip which is never good for learning the game. Good luck and above all enjoy the game.

Blacksox1
07-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Roto Grip Wrecker ! For the win !

Joker
07-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Dv8: misfit
ebonite: cyclone
brunswick: strike king
storm: tropical heat/breeze
roto grip: scream/shout

rv driver
07-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Roto Grip Wrecker ! For the win !
I love the looks of that ball -- both color-wise and movement. It simply was not going to do what I wanted it to do at a lighter weight.

Hampe
07-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Roto Grip Wrecker ! For the win !Lol.....my buddy just gave me his old Wrecker since he almost never uses it. I can tell it's going to be one of my favorites once I get it drilled (I've thrown it using his layout/drilling), but I can think of at least 20-30 balls I'd recommend before I recommend this ball to a beginner.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Lol.....my buddy just gave me his old Wrecker since he almost never uses it. I can tell it's going to be one of my favorites once I get it drilled (I've thrown it using his layout/drilling), but I can think of at least 20-30 balls I'd recommend before I recommend this ball to a beginner.
Why wouldn't you recommend it to a beginner?

Hampe
07-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Why wouldn't you recommend it to a beginner?
Because it responds to the dry part of the lane very aggressively.....it feels pretty jumpy for a symmetric ball. It seems similar to the 505A that I have; it's a "medium" oil ball that is much stronger than people expected. I know a few people who got the ball under control after changing the surface, which is fine, but not something that a beginner necessarily should need to be concerning themselves with yet. There's plenty of other balls that are much better suited for someone still learning the game.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Because it responds to the dry part of the lane very aggressively.....it feels pretty jumpy for a symmetric ball. It seems similar to the 505A that I have; it's a "medium" oil ball that is much stronger than people expected. I know a few people who got the ball under control after changing the surface, which is fine, but not something that a beginner necessarily should need to be concerning themselves with yet. There's plenty of other balls that are much better suited for someone still learning the game.
Jumpy. OK, then! I didn't know that, having never thrown one. Thanks for the elucidation. it looks frickin' fantastic in the review vids. But I suppose that's because the demonstrators know what they're doing.

Aslan
07-17-2014, 12:00 PM
any low level reactive.

The USBC recommends for new youth bowlers NOT to teach them to hook a ball and thus get them a plastic ball. Myself and many others disagree with this approach for 2 reasons:

1) While you want them to learn the basics, "hooking" a ball at least slightly has become a "basic".
2) If a kid or new bowler buys a plastic ball and then immediately gets to that next level...now they need to buy ANOTHER ball. Where as, a low level reactive, might last that bowler 1-2 years while they fully develop their game before they need to either upgrade or develop a multi-ball arsenal.

So, answer to question, I'd recommend any entry level reactive resin ball: Tropical Breeze, Cyclone, Strike King, Ascent, etc... Nearly all companies have an entry level reactive line. $100 (ish).

my .02c

rv driver
07-17-2014, 12:04 PM
any low level reactive.

The USBC recommends for new youth bowlers NOT to teach them to hook a ball and thus get them a plastic ball. Myself and many others disagree with this approach for 2 reasons:

1) While you want them to learn the basics, "hooking" a ball at least slightly has become a "basic".
2) If a kid or new bowler buys a plastic ball and then immediately gets to that next level...now they need to buy ANOTHER ball. Where as, a low level reactive, might last that bowler 1-2 years while they fully develop their game before they need to either upgrade or develop a multi-ball arsenal.

So, answer to question, I'd recommend any entry level reactive resin ball: Tropical Breeze, Cyclone, Strike King, Ascent, etc... Nearly all companies have an entry level reactive line. $100 (ish).

my .02c
I agree with that assessment, with the following caveat: It really depends on the age of the youth/beginner. The fine motor skills necessary to successfully hook a ball would be lost on very young players. Even if you start with a plastic ball, you've only spent about $150 by the time you advance to a reactive ball, and you still have the plastic for a spare ball.

Aslan
07-17-2014, 10:45 PM
I agree with that assessment, with the following caveat: It really depends on the age of the youth/beginner. The fine motor skills necessary to successfully hook a ball would be lost on very young players. Even if you start with a plastic ball, you've only spent about $150 by the time you advance to a reactive ball, and you still have the plastic for a spare ball.

Thats true. Having it as a spare ball makes it a win either way. I just think most beginners want an all-around good ball that'll last at least a year. Some won't mind. Some buy many, many balls early on (cough). So it just depends on the bowler.

Amyers
07-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Thats true. Having it as a spare ball makes it a win either way. I just think most beginners want an all-around good ball that'll last at least a year. Some won't mind. Some buy many, many balls early on (cough). So it just depends on the bowler.

It does depend on the age experience level of the bowler. If it is a youth or someone learning the basics of approach they don't need to worry about hooking the ball. I started both of my girls and my wife with plastic balls the wife has since upgraded to a resin ball (tropical breeze). The girls are still in their plastics my oldest may be ready for a reactive ball sometime this fall about a year in. My youngest is still a ways away. I don't really think you want to try and learn footwork, targeting, lane oil reading and proper release all at the same time especially for younger bowlers.

Big Merl
07-17-2014, 11:13 PM
The guy I have been working with is pushing me to get the Strike King, so I'm putting aside some money for that. Doesn't hurt that the black version of it is such a good looking ball.

Aslan
07-17-2014, 11:28 PM
My daughter is 11 and I'd like to get her her own ball. I've decided on the Tropical Breeze (if I don't win a Diva). It's a great ball for a beginner in my opinion.

That being said, for a boy I'd probably get the Strike King. It's not as colorful and doesn't smell good...but I like Brunswick entry level balls.

For myself...I went with the Frantic...which is like the Punch Out/Lights Out line they now have. If I had to do it tofay, probably the RotoGrip Wrecker.

rv driver
07-18-2014, 08:00 AM
The guy I have been working with is pushing me to get the Strike King, so I'm putting aside some money for that. Doesn't hurt that the black version of it is such a good looking ball.
Better get one now before Brunswick sells off and they stop making them.

rv driver
07-18-2014, 08:03 AM
My daughter is 11 and I'd like to get her her own ball. I've decided on the Tropical Breeze (if I don't win a Diva). It's a great ball for a beginner in my opinion.

That being said, for a boy I'd probably get the Strike King. It's not as colorful and doesn't smell good...but I like Brunswick entry level balls.

For myself...I went with the Frantic...which is like the Punch Out/Lights Out line they now have. If I had to do it tofay, probably the RotoGrip Wrecker.
OMG!!! You've procreated?!

Just kidding, man! I love my kids. They were never interested in bowling when they were young. Now they're in their 20s and moved out, they've been bugging me to go bowling with them. I think balls for them at Christmas...