PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Corporation to Sell Retail Bowling Business to Bowlmor AMF

mike_thomas93
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/brunswick-corporation-brunswick-to-sell-retail-bowling-business-to-bowlmor-amf-2014-07-17?reflink=MW_news_stmp

How about this for Brunswick. Check out this news

rv driver
07-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Wow. I'm... nonplussed.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 06:32 PM
So...

I wonder if AMF/Blow-mor will discontinue the Brunswick line, or if they'll continue? And will that ball line continue along the lines of Brunswick, or will they start turning out crap-a$$ balls? What does that mean for DV8? Better stock up on the good Brunswick stuff now, people! Aslan: You may need another closet for stockpiling Masterminds and Melees.

circlecity
07-17-2014, 06:38 PM
They could just sell off the product line to another company and focus on the centers.

Amyers
07-17-2014, 06:42 PM
So...

I wonder if AMF/Blow-mor will discontinue the Brunswick line, or if they'll continue? And will that ball line continue along the lines of Brunswick, or will they start turning out crap-a$$ balls? What does that mean for DV8? Better stock up on the good Brunswick stuff now, people! Aslan: You may need another closet for stockpiling Masterminds and Melees.

From the article AMF/bowlmor just bought the lane centers. They are looking for a buyer for the ball business

mike_thomas93
07-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Friend of mine just said that it's just on the bowling centers. Brunswick's still going to continue to produce the equipment and stuff.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 07:11 PM
So which is it? Are they looking to sell off the ball manufacturing, or not?

tccstudent
07-17-2014, 07:57 PM
This is still bad news for bowlers everywhere. While we dont have any brunswick centers around here this is bad news for league bowlers everywhere. Bowlmors crappy yuppy model will be expanding

MICHAEL
07-17-2014, 08:19 PM
SOON IT WILL ALL be crap!! Cosmic B.S.!! Or as Bowlless calls it, entertainment bowling!!! What is happening? 60 inch TV's, and home entertainment center, WII bowling,,,, are they destroying the once great sport of bowling!!!

Is Bowlless, owned by the DEVIL!!

Do they really think hard core bowlers give a rats about having FUN!!! GRRRRR.... WE bowl for the sport of bowling not Cosmic lights, loud music, and expensive food and drinks! That might work in New York, but not here in the heart land,,, we take our oil, and lanes seriously!!

The hours around here already SUCK! hard to find a good practice time with the AMF's that they didn't close, are open banker hours!

fortheloveofbowling
07-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Cosmic bowling does suck. I can barely bowl in the light much less in the dark!!

Amyers
07-17-2014, 08:42 PM
So which is it? Are they looking to sell off the ball manufacturing, or not?

According to the press releases they are looking for a buyer for the ball manufacturing business.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
According to the press releases they are looking for a buyer for the ball manufacturing business.
So, again, does that mean that they're simply farming out the manufacturing process, where they're outsourcing the production of their product design, or are they completely doing away with being in the ball business at all? If the former, we can still expect some good things from Brunswick balls. If not, the whole product line may become dead, or if the name is kept by another company, the balls might not be the same at all -- we could be seeing really crappy stuff with a Brunswick name slapped on it.

Amyers
07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
So, again, does that mean that they're simply farming out the manufacturing process, where they're outsourcing the production of their product design, or are they completely doing away with being in the ball business at all? If the former, we can still expect some good things from Brunswick balls. If not, the whole product line may become dead, or if the name is kept by another company, the balls might not be the same at all -- we could be seeing really crappy stuff with a Brunswick name slapped on it.

From what I've read they are selling the whole enchilada. This is not an outsource they are getting out of the business. They did mention that they hoped whoever buys it would keep the people on but who knows maybe storm buys them and just shuts it down one less competitor.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't know anything about Blow-Mor, but I definitely don't like the sound of what Ice is saying: pussified, soccer-mom "family-fun centers" that offer candy-a$$, bubble-gum, disco-ball, Bee-Gees bowling to the happenin' sounds of Barney Sings the Hits and Alvin and the Chipmunks during the day, and blacklight nonsense to the sounds of super-sub bass-pumping, techno-grunge radio bands with trendy, "bad-a$$" names like "Chum Bucket" during the evenings. And "Bowling for Jesus" on Sundays. Next they'll be putting little LED light-up soles on our bowling shoes, and installing pulsing disco lights in clear, acrylic bowling lanes. And while they're at it, they can serve Panera bagels and Starbucks Latte's, with overly-hoppy "craft beer" sold on weekends. Meanwhile, Chuck-E-Cheese will send over characters in costume to wave at the kids and hand out balloons. And they'll paint the pins to look like Katy Perry and Cee-Lo. And bowling will lose its sports edge and become one more banal distraction for the minivan masses. Because it would just be too bad if bowling remained serious for some of us.

Maybe, while they're at it, Blow-Mor can pick up the Brunswick ball contract and put out a bunch of brightly-colored, cheap vis-a-balls, featuring all your favorite contestants from America's Got Talent.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 09:15 PM
From what I've read they are selling the whole enchilada. This is not an outsource they are getting out of the business. They did mention that they hoped whoever buys it would keep the people on but who knows maybe storm buys them and just shuts it down one less competitor.
Or I suppose it could become like Ebonite/Columbia/Hammer, et. al. and become one more brand name for some huge ball conglomerate. That would be nice, because they'd likely keep up the quality, knowing that there are a lot of Brunswick aficionados out there. Yeah, Storm could buy 'em out, or Ebonite. Heck, this is Motiv's big chance to dance with the big boys.

rv driver
07-17-2014, 10:14 PM
So, if AMF is no longer PBA registered, is that going to be a problem with sanctioning if they take over the Brunswick centers?

Aslan
07-17-2014, 11:21 PM
So, if AMF is no longer PBA registered, is that going to be a problem with sanctioning if they take over the Brunswick centers?

I think there's some confusion here.

AMF brand bowling balls are no longer PBA registered. PBA registered does not = USBC Sanctioned. AMF centers are still USBC sanctioned....as will Bowlmor centers.

It's just $&#%. I mean, AMF was a complete failure. So they sold to Bowlmor. Bowlmor has done NOTHING in any center I've seen other than add some paint, trim staff, cut hours, reduce league benefits, and raise food/beverage prices. And now Bowlmor (which isn't making much money) offers to buy it's ONLY COMPETITION!! It's a damm Monopoly!! How does the #1 owner of centers just buy the #2 on the list with NO oversight?

There goes the Sunday morning sport shot league I just joined!! Bowlmor isn't going to want a sport shot in their centers and they aint opening at 7AM on a Sunday. Just wonderful.

As for who buys Brunswick....it aint gonna be Storm, they don't need it. Ebonite already has more brands than it needs and all of them in decline. 900Global would be the best fit, but they aren't doing very well financially. Motiv makes the next most sense because they could really use Brunswick's distribution network. But Motiv is successful in their current business model so that might not fit. Companies like Seismic and Lane #1 and Lord Field probably have nowhere near the resources.

It's the #2 or #3 ball company out there. And when you add in the other products they make, it could really expand the portfolio for a 900Global or Motiv. But it's probably most likely it gets sold to some foreign investment group. Sad.

got_a_300
07-17-2014, 11:42 PM
In other words bowling is pretty much dead if that deal goes
through for Brunswick owned centers it will be just like they
killed off AMF bowling centers.

Thank goodness our Brunswick center is independently owned
but we just had 3 people go in together and buy the owner out
but it looks like they are really going to price themselves out of
business if they are not careful.

They have almost doubled the price on food and drinks and I
know a lot of the bowlers including myself that have said they
are not going to pay that price for food and drinks.

I'll just eat before I go bowling and just get me a cup and drink
water out of the water fountain instead of buying soda or coffee.

Blacksox1
07-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Aslan's 2nd sentence is 100% correct. WTG !

Blacksox1
07-17-2014, 11:49 PM
I don't know anything about Blow-Mor, but I definitely don't like the sound of what Ice is saying: pussified, soccer-mom "family-fun centers" that offer candy-a$$, bubble-gum, disco-ball, Bee-Gees bowling to the happenin' sounds of Barney Sings the Hits and Alvin and the Chipmunks during the day, and blacklight nonsense to the sounds of super-sub bass-pumping, techno-grunge radio bands with trendy, "bad-a$$" names like "Chum Bucket" during the evenings. And "Bowling for Jesus" on Sundays. Next they'll be putting little LED light-up soles on our bowling shoes, and installing pulsing disco lights in clear, acrylic bowling lanes. And while they're at it, they can serve Panera bagels and Starbucks Latte's, with overly-hoppy "craft beer" sold on weekends. Meanwhile, Chuck-E-Cheese will send over characters in costume to wave at the kids and hand out balloons. And they'll paint the pins to look like Katy Perry and Cee-Lo. And bowling will lose its sports edge and become one more banal distraction for the minivan masses. Because it would just be too bad if bowling remained serious for some of us.

Maybe, while they're at it, Blow-Mor can pick up the Brunswick ball contract and put out a bunch of brightly-colored, cheap vis-a-balls, featuring all your favorite contestants from America's Got Talent.

Tell us how you really feel. No sugar coating, please !

rv driver
07-18-2014, 08:08 AM
I think there's some confusion here.

AMF brand bowling balls are no longer PBA registered. PBA registered does not = USBC Sanctioned. AMF centers are still USBC sanctioned....as will Bowlmor centers.

It's just $&#%. I mean, AMF was a complete failure. So they sold to Bowlmor. Bowlmor has done NOTHING in any center I've seen other than add some paint, trim staff, cut hours, reduce league benefits, and raise food/beverage prices. And now Bowlmor (which isn't making much money) offers to buy it's ONLY COMPETITION!! It's a damm Monopoly!! How does the #1 owner of centers just buy the #2 on the list with NO oversight?

There goes the Sunday morning sport shot league I just joined!! Bowlmor isn't going to want a sport shot in their centers and they aint opening at 7AM on a Sunday. Just wonderful.

As for who buys Brunswick....it aint gonna be Storm, they don't need it. Ebonite already has more brands than it needs and all of them in decline. 900Global would be the best fit, but they aren't doing very well financially. Motiv makes the next most sense because they could really use Brunswick's distribution network. But Motiv is successful in their current business model so that might not fit. Companies like Seismic and Lane #1 and Lord Field probably have nowhere near the resources.

It's the #2 or #3 ball company out there. And when you add in the other products they make, it could really expand the portfolio for a 900Global or Motiv. But it's probably most likely it gets sold to some foreign investment group. Sad.
OK. Whew! I didn't know how closely tied PBA was with USBC.

That being said, I wonder why Brunswick is choosing to get out of the business??? Unless they just want to trim back and become a boutique billiards business... I never was a Brunswick fan, in terms of balls, but seeing those crowns and the iconic "B" in bowling centers brought some level of familiarity and comfort.

rv driver
07-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Tell us how you really feel. No sugar coating, please !
Well?! Dang it! We've got enough princesses and "Dancing With the Dweebs" and malls and youth soccer leagues and subdivision "fro-yo" shops. Enough! We need something real, and attitudinal, and forthright. Like bowling. Leave. It. Alone!

circlecity
07-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Makes me think about not complaining about my league fee going up. I should just be happy they are independant and have leagues!!

rv driver
07-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Makes me think about not complaining about my league fee going up. I should just be happy they are independant and have leagues!!
Yeah, we've got several decent, independent centers where I live. And they're all reasonable.

Hampe
07-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Hmm....I'm not sure, but I think almost all the centers here are independently owned.

Amyers
07-18-2014, 09:51 AM
OK. Whew! I didn't know how closely tied PBA was with USBC.

That being said, I wonder why Brunswick is choosing to get out of the business??? Unless they just want to trim back and become a boutique billiards business... I never was a Brunswick fan, in terms of balls, but seeing those crowns and the iconic "B" in bowling centers brought some level of familiarity and comfort.

Brunswicks main business is building boats 92% of their profits come from boating sales. They didn't feel like they could get the return on investment in bowling that they could with other parts of their business

rv driver
07-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Brunswicks main business is building boats 92% of their profits come from boating sales. They didn't feel like they could get the return on investment in bowling that they could with other parts of their business
Thanks for the info. I guess that's good news for the sailors. Too bad Brunswick isn't as loyal to bowling as it is to boating. And money.

MICHAEL
07-18-2014, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Aslan;111414]I think there's some confusion here.

NOT ONLY THAT Aslan, but after they bought into AMF, they closed a number of AMF's including one I used, in HOPES that we would all go
to the other AMF that is only 4 miles away!

Well that backfired... several of the leagues did, but one of mine went to a privately owned house, actually twice the distance! We still have options, and AMF, with its BANKER HOURS, is not on my list!

Your right Aslan,,,, adding paint was one of the big things they did around here too. By shutting down some of the LESS profitable lanes, their theory is that the OTHER AMF's will get that business, and they are( but not all.) Many are just moving on to other privately owned lanes, so in a sense they are helping them also!

MICHAEL
07-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Hmm....I'm not sure, but I think almost all the centers here are independently owned.

I knew there was something besides ICE I liked about Switzerland!! No AMF's! Lots of Mom and Pop independently owned bowling alleys! ice...

What is the temperature there today??

rv driver
07-18-2014, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=Aslan;111414]I think there's some confusion here.

NOT ONLY THAT Aslan, but after they bought into AMF, they closed a number of AMF's including one I used, in HOPES that we would all go
to the other AMF that is only 4 miles away!

Well that backfired... several of the leagues did, but one of mine went to a privately owned house, actually twice the distance! We still have options, and AMF, with its BANKER HOURS, is not on my list!

Your right Aslan,,,, adding paint was one of the big things they did around here too. By shutting down some of the LESS profitable lanes, their theory is that the OTHER AMF's will get that business, and they are( but not all.) Many are just moving on to other privately owned lanes, so in a sense they are helping them also!
Just another fine example of what happens when Suits who care nothing about their product sell and operate goods and services. It'a aaaaaall about the $$$.

Blow-Mor. Pffft!!

Amyers
07-18-2014, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=MICHAEL;111448]
Just another fine example of what happens when Suits who care nothing about their product sell and operate goods and services. It'a aaaaaall about the $$$.

Blow-Mor. Pffft!!

We've got way too much of the suits in all of our lives. I think we would all be much better off if we took a step back and shopped more local and less from the box stores and those type of things

MICHAEL
07-18-2014, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=rv driver;111455]

We've got way too much of the suits in all of our lives. I think we would all be much better off if we took a step back and shopped more local and less from the box stores and those type of things

I AGREE 200 PERCENT

Joker
07-18-2014, 11:46 AM
whelp there goes brunswick/dv8/ and radical. Honestly I thought radical wasn't that great of an idea anyway no one I know throws them and those that tried hated them

Amyers
07-18-2014, 12:17 PM
whelp there goes brunswick/dv8/ and radical. Honestly I thought radical wasn't that great of an idea anyway no one I know throws them and those that tried hated them

If they screw it up there will be some great balls gone from the market. The genius line are some great hitting pieces, I haven't really seen anybody throwing the dv8 stuff that just turned my head but the radical stuff we don't have a lot of but I've seen some guys really scorching it with some of the reax line of balls.

The worst thing in all we've lost one of the big names in a sport with very little big names in it. I'm really afraid that bowling as we know it might not make it another ten years

Amyers
07-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Below is a post by Phil Cardinale from Radical left at another site:

Wow!
First off the Radical Brand is licensed to Brunswick. I still own it. Secondly there is basically no change in the day to day operation of the Brunswick business except for the Retail side (Bowling centers) Brunswick Corporation wanting to exit the business is a strategic move based on their sale of the Centers. Having said that, they want to sell the Capital side and the consumer side, the new owners, who ever they sell it to, are getting a very profitable and viable business. The only change would be that the company will no longer be owned by corporate. This is great because we currently have to play by a different set of rules than the other ball companies play by since Brunswick is publicly traded.
We will see no changes and operations are going on as usual. our plans are to continue to grow the brand at the rate we have experienced thus far.
I have no intention of starting up any additional companies, so no I wont be working to redo Morich.
Not sure what the comment meant" Brunswick bailing out Radical", we set up an arrangement that was a win win for both parties, it was a great opportunity for both companies, especially Radical since it was a huge improvement on manufacturing and R&D side and offered unlimited resources for product development.
So we need to wait and see where the Sale ends up, we will be around for a long time, that I assure you. But Guys, please avoid speculation, lets get the fact straight before we start posting, there are several incorrect post made in this thread alone, do the research before you post, we don't need any rumors, especially in an industry like this.
Thanks
Phil

rv driver
07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
whelp there goes brunswick/dv8/ and radical. Honestly I thought radical wasn't that great of an idea anyway no one I know throws them and those that tried hated themGlad I got my Misfit before the Great Demise!

rv driver
07-18-2014, 04:27 PM

Wow!
First off the Radical Brand is licensed to Brunswick. I still own it. Secondly there is basically no change in the day to day operation of the Brunswick business except for the Retail side (Bowling centers) Brunswick Corporation wanting to exit the business is a strategic move based on their sale of the Centers. Having said that, they want to sell the Capital side and the consumer side, the new owners, who ever they sell it to, are getting a very profitable and viable business. The only change would be that the company will no longer be owned by corporate. This is great because we currently have to play by a different set of rules than the other ball companies play by since Brunswick is publicly traded.
We will see no changes and operations are going on as usual. our plans are to continue to grow the brand at the rate we have experienced thus far.
I have no intention of starting up any additional companies, so no I wont be working to redo Morich.
Not sure what the comment meant" Brunswick bailing out Radical", we set up an arrangement that was a win win for both parties, it was a great opportunity for both companies, especially Radical since it was a huge improvement on manufacturing and R&D side and offered unlimited resources for product development.
So we need to wait and see where the Sale ends up, we will be around for a long time, that I assure you. But Guys, please avoid speculation, lets get the fact straight before we start posting, there are several incorrect post made in this thread alone, do the research before you post, we don't need any rumors, especially in an industry like this.
Thanks
Phil
This deserves to be reposted. Maybe the ball companies will be OK.

tccstudent
07-18-2014, 05:03 PM
The ball company is not the issue its the porential loss of many more bowling alleys and the loss of leagues that will happen due to the sorry excuse for a business plan that bowlmor uses. This could damage the entie sport. Glow bowlers dont buy balls and wouldnt know the difference in lane xonditions

rv driver
07-18-2014, 05:07 PM
The ball company is not the issue its the porential loss of many more bowling alleys and the loss of leagues that will happen due to the sorry excuse for a business plan that bowlmor uses. This could damage the entie sport. Glow bowlers dont buy balls and wouldnt know the difference in lane xonditions
That's true enough.

Jaescrub
07-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Wow I seen this come up the other day and was shocked. This might very well be the end game for a lot of league bowlers. It might also end up not changing very much. Time will tell. Other then Hrs our local AMF lanes have not changed very much. And most of what was had been for the better.

Amyers
07-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Wow I seen this come up the other day and was shocked. This might very well be the end game for a lot of league bowlers. It might also end up not changing very much. Time will tell. Other then Hrs our local AMF lanes have not changed very much. And most of what was had been for the better.

I was Ina AMF house in Louisville recently and was impressed. I know what you guys are talking about I've seen way too many places go the fun center route.

MICHAEL
07-18-2014, 09:00 PM
I was Ina AMF house in Louisville recently and was impressed. I know what you guys are talking about I've seen way too many places go the fun center route.

In all honesty, here in Independence Mo, Strike and Spare, (AMF), they put some big bucks into that alley. All new large monitors, and score keeping pads. They installed a great program into the new score keeping pads, that includes the speed of the ball. So in fairness to Bowlmor, they are at Strike and Spare catering to the league blower. They are also getting ready to put a bunch of the same stuff in at the NKC, AMF, which has 48 lanes. The role model they seem to be following here is not at all like what they did in New York, where they turned them into pleasure palaces, THAT JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE BOWLING, with sham-pain,,, ect ect ect.. for the loaded stock brokers, and bankers types...

Other then shutting down my house, they do seem to be catering to both groups,,, the Cosmic, and the League bowlers. Maybe they aren't the bad guys a lot of us make them out to be! They just want to turn a better profit!!! Time will tell, and if they don't take care of league bowlers, there are many other places we can go in the Kansas City Missouri area!!!

classygranny
07-19-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm really trying to keep a positive attitude towards this, but it is very, very difficult. This means that the valley will only have about 6 houses that will not be AMF or part of the Sun City (Senior Citizen membership required), and of course, none of them are close to me or easy to get to.

If the Bowlmor/AMF goes the direction I believe it may (judging by the last Bowlmor move), then most daytime leagues will be gone. If the daytime leagues go away, and the lanes aren't available for practicing during the day, then I will have to take a long hard look at letting go of one of my loves.

rv driver
07-19-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm really trying to keep a positive attitude towards this, but it is very, very difficult. This means that the valley will only have about 6 houses that will not be AMF or part of the Sun City (Senior Citizen membership required), and of course, none of them are close to me or easy to get to.

If the Bowlmor/AMF goes the direction I believe it may (judging by the last Bowlmor move), then most daytime leagues will be gone. If the daytime leagues go away, and the lanes aren't available for practicing during the day, then I will have to take a long hard look at letting go of one of my loves.
Yeah, I really like the quiet, daytime hours when I can practice in peace on my days off.

circlecity
07-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Leagues and tournaments keep pro shops in business, without them a lot will close up shop. You ever walk into a pro shop during open bowling? Ghost town for sure.

MICHAEL
07-19-2014, 11:59 AM

ITs a valley,,, how far can they be??? One thing we have ruled out is your((( not a Vampire!!))) Wanting to bowl in the day time hours, saves Iceman a trip to AZ, and taking care of business! Vampires are getting to be a HUGE PROBLEM all over the world! Half of what I do as a Super Hero, besides bowl, is police the walking/flying dead!

Wow I thought AZ, with tis huge population of seniors citizens would not mess with day time bowling leagues. Here In Kansas City Missouri, my wife and me bowl a seniors league on Mondays, that's pretty good size. (Bowlmor did not shut it down, and the pro shop is always open for seniors)

It opens at 12pm ,,, which is great for me after a night of being a Super Hero, and rounding up all the Vampires and BAD guys and GALS!!
Iceman needs a good 8 hours, when fighting crime,,,,The American Way!

Bowlmor, in my opinion is not STUPID, they do look at the NUMBERS! What they did do is move the seniors form the lane they closed down, into another AMF that's just 4 miles away, thus creating a pretty good number of bowlers on one of their largest alleys in the Kansas city area 48 lanes.

I hate the fact that they closed my favorite AMF, but business is business I guess.

Some including me have went to other privately owned lanes for bowing too. Not all went to the AMF, as they were hoping in NKC, but most did.

Hey I driving country roads 35 miles to get to the Plattsburg Bowling alley this fall. Iceman wants to bowl with them there farm boys, on WOOD!!
One of the couples that owns that place, and were SO NICE AS TO show me all around the operation and how it works, will be there tonight when Geneo2u, Mary, Joyce and Iceman burn some wood!

In short Granny,,, if you love bowling, like I think you do, NO DISTANCE IS TOO FAR!! Bowling like everything else in this modern time is evolving.
It will NEVER GO AWAY, but like the thread about ( THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE), read my last one on Movie Theaters!

there is a REAL COOL movie theater in the North Kansas City area that was reopened, and now is doing well. I cater to Mom and Pop places mainly because its the RIGHT THING TO DO, and ICEMAN likes the FAMILY owned small businesses! They use to be the foundation of what made this country AMERICA!! I fight the urge to go to WALMART,,, 90 percent of their products now come from Communist China!! Not a good business model in my book!!! Dog food that I purchased from WALMART, O'Roy,,, killed two of my dogs!!!!! BEWARE of ANYTHING imported form China!!!!!

Bowling is changing, but its HERE TO STAY!!! Go with the flow, and find your Bliss!! Ice

rv driver
07-19-2014, 12:31 PM
ITs a valley,,, how far can they be??? One thing we have ruled out is your((( not a Vampire!!))) Wanting to bowl in the day time hours, saves Iceman a trip to AZ, and taking care of business! Vampires are getting to be a HUGE PROBLEM all over the world! Half of what I do as a Super Hero, besides bowl, is police the walking/flying dead!

Wow I thought AZ, with tis huge population of seniors citizens would not mess with day time bowling leagues. Here In Kansas City Missouri, my wife and me bowl a seniors league on Mondays, that's pretty good size. (Bowlmor did not shut it down, and the pro shop is always open for seniors)

It opens at 12pm ,,, which is great for me after a night of being a Super Hero, and rounding up all the Vampires and BAD guys and GALS!!
Iceman needs a good 8 hours, when fighting crime,,,,The American Way!

Bowlmor, in my opinion is not STUPID, they do look at the NUMBERS! What they did do is move the seniors form the lane they closed down, into another AMF that's just 4 miles away, thus creating a pretty good number of bowlers on one of their largest alleys in the Kansas city area 48 lanes.

I hate the fact that they closed my favorite AMF, but business is business I guess.

Some including me have went to other privately owned lanes for bowing too. Not all went to the AMF, as they were hoping in NKC, but most did.

Hey I driving country roads 35 miles to get to the Plattsburg Bowling alley this fall. Iceman wants to bowl with them there farm boys, on WOOD!!
One of the couples that owns that place, and were SO NICE AS TO show me all around the operation and how it works, will be there tonight when Geneo2u, Mary, Joyce and Iceman burn some wood!

In short Granny,,, if you love bowling, like I think you do, NO DISTANCE IS TOO FAR!! Bowling like everything else in this modern time is evolving.
It will NEVER GO AWAY, but like the thread about ( THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE), read my last one on Movie Theaters!

there is a REAL COOL movie theater in the North Kansas City area that was reopened, and now is doing well. I cater to Mom and Pop places mainly because its the RIGHT THING TO DO, and ICEMAN likes the FAMILY owned small businesses! They use to be the foundation of what made this country AMERICA!! I fight the urge to go to WALMART,,, 90 percent of their products now come from Communist China!! Not a good business model in my book!!! Dog food that I purchased from WALMART, O'Roy,,, killed two of my dogs!!!!! BEWARE of ANYTHING imported form China!!!!!

Bowling is changing, but its HERE TO STAY!!! Go with the flow, and find your Bliss!! Ice
Not to sound disparaging, Ice, but have you ever been to Phoenix? Do you know how BIG that valley is??? When I lived there, we lived in east Mesa, near the east end of the valley. I drove 25 miles one-way to work in downtown Phoenix -- and there was still the whole west end of the valley left, out to Goodyear at that time. The valley's at least 50 miles in diameter, through city traffic. It's a hassle -- especially in 100+ degree weather. Iceman would MELT!!! And then where would league bowling be???

circlecity
07-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I think this will open the doors for somebody to fill the void left by bowlmor once they start closing all the centers. Open bowling alleys again catering to leagues, tourney, and series bowlers. Take some of what bowlmor is doing like upgrading the food etc... but keeping it a alley not a center.

rv driver
07-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I think this will open the doors for somebody to fill the void left by bowlmor once they start closing all the centers. Open bowling alleys again catering to leagues, tourney, and series bowlers. Take some of what bowlmor is doing like upgrading the food etc... but keeping it a alley not a center.
Problem is, it will likely have to be something corporate; it's getting to where Mom and Pop are being priced out of business -- too expensive and no way to absorb costs.

circlecity
07-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Corporate can just be a group of friends pooling their money together as a small business it doesn't have to be stuffy suits etc. If I had the money I would open up one but that would require the lotto. :)

Aslan
07-19-2014, 05:50 PM
The only change would be that the company will no longer be owned by corporate. This is great because we currently have to play by a different set of rules than the other ball companies play by since Brunswick is publicly traded.
This is interesting. It may be a unique positive to come out of the sale.

There really is a TRUE opportunity for 900 Global or Motiv or even Lane #1, Lord Field, Lane Masters, etc… Brunswick isn't just "Brunswick" balls. That in and of itself is a huge selling point because of the distribution and very nice product line. But really, it's the DV8 line…which is probably 2nd in popularity to Storm and is big with the 20s age bowlers…a key demographic. ALSO…Brunswick makes every product imaginable. We're talking ball cleaners, shoes, bowling pins, lanes, ball returns, pin setters…I mean they have THE most complete product line in bowling. And if an Ebonite or Storm WAS to make an offer…it would be to grab that huge product portfolio.

In all honesty, here in Independence Mo, Strike and Spare, (AMF), they put some big bucks into that alley. All new large monitors, and score keeping pads. They installed a great program into the new score keeping pads, that includes the speed of the ball.
Don't get too impressed. Obviously they have to improve a lot of AMF alleys, new scoring equipment, touch screens, paint, etc… They'll make the bars fancy, food expensive, improve the visual stuff…but the real question is how will the treat the sport bowlers, the pro shops, and the leagues. If they continue to alter hours, trim leagues, etc.. all that fancy aesthetics isn't going to matter.

Leagues and tournaments keep pro shops in business, without them a lot will close up shop. You ever walk into a pro shop during open bowling? Ghost town for sure.
True. 100% true. I've walked in during casual bowling and felt pity for pro shop owners, having a hard time imagining how they even make a buck. Then I've tried to go in and get services in the evening just before/during league play…and there's a constant line of people.

rv driver
07-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Corporate can just be a group of friends pooling their money together as a small business it doesn't have to be stuffy suits etc. If I had the money I would open up one but that would require the lotto. :)
That's what I'm talking about.

Amyers
07-20-2014, 10:33 AM
This is interesting. It may be a unique positive to come out of the sale.

There really is a TRUE opportunity for 900 Global or Motiv or even Lane #1, Lord Field, Lane Masters, etc… Brunswick isn't just "Brunswick" balls. That in and of itself is a huge selling point because of the distribution and very nice product line. But really, it's the DV8 line…which is probably 2nd in popularity to Storm and is big with the 20s age bowlers…a key demographic. ALSO…Brunswick makes every product imaginable. We're talking ball cleaners, shoes, bowling pins, lanes, ball returns, pin setters…I mean they have THE most complete product line in bowling. And if an Ebonite or Storm WAS to make an offer…it would be to grab that huge product portfolio.

I would love to see seismic or lane masters get a hold of this but I don't think it could happen especially on the ball side but with the lane equipment and products business included it's to big a purchase for those guys.

Motiv is one who could really use this but again with the equipment side included I just can't see them going there

The real competition is going to be between EBI and Storm unless someone big wants in but I can't say as I really see that.

MICHAEL
07-20-2014, 12:03 PM

YES, circlecity,, the Mom and Pop blowing alley in Plattsburg is owned by actually two couples, and one individual! It can be done, and they have been in business since 1957! Gladstone was also opened about that same time, and is privately owned.... Reto Bowl here in town is also privately owned, Ranch is another one,,, so here in the area we have CHOICES.... which is good!! (:)

Call me Old Fashion, but I like Mom and POP, everything!!!

Those lanes in Plattsburg are a jewel!!!!!!!! Owned by some of the salt of the earth Farmers!!!

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Ohhh so there is such thing as that, huh Iceman?

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 12:26 PM
I've never seen Seismic or Lord Field or those company balls. Never seen them thrown. Anyone know a little about them?

rv driver
07-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I would love to see seismic or lane masters get a hold of this but I don't think it could happen especially on the ball side but with the lane equipment and products business included it's to big a purchase for those guys.

Motiv is one who could really use this but again with the equipment side included I just can't see them going there

The real competition is going to be between EBI and Storm unless someone big wants in but I can't say as I really see that.
Probably end up being Mitsubishi or Yamaha, or some other large Japanese conglomerate -- somebody that can handle the equipment side as well as accouterments.

Joker
07-20-2014, 05:32 PM
I've never seen Seismic or Lord Field or those company balls. Never seen them thrown. Anyone know a little about them?

they're more of those equipments that are ok some actually prefer them saying that they're even better than storm and ebi. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to me it just doesn't seem to fit myself, their equipment to me seems to either break away at the end or seem to have a less reaction.

rv driver
07-20-2014, 05:44 PM
they're more of those equipments that are ok some actually prefer them saying that they're even better than storm and ebi. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to me it just doesn't seem to fit myself, their equipment to me seems to either break away at the end or seem to have a less reaction.
Well, those companies certainly aren't popular around here. In fact, I've been associated with bowling for over 35 years and have never heard of those companies until just recently. But I'm from the Midwest, where we'd be more likely to stick with the tried and true brands.

circlecity
07-20-2014, 06:08 PM
YES, circlecity,, the Mom and Pop blowing alley in Plattsburg is owned by actually two couples, and one individual! It can be done, and they have been in business since 1957! Gladstone was also opened about that same time, and is privately owned.... Reto Bowl here in town is also privately owned, Ranch is another one,,, so here in the area we have CHOICES.... which is good!! (:)

Call me Old Fashion, but I like Mom and POP, everything!!!

Those lanes in Plattsburg are a jewel!!!!!!!! Owned by some of the salt of the earth Farmers!!!

Yeah Ice, I grew up bowling in a family owned house(tava lanes in riverside.) It was different for sure, you would see the owners daily and had that warm were all family feeling.

rv driver
07-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Yeah Ice, I grew up bowling in a family owned house(tava lanes in riverside.) It was different for sure, you would see the owners daily and had that warm were all family feeling.
Yeah, that was my experience, too. Roy and Betty. I can still see their faces. But then, I've had that experience with a much larger center recently. It's owned by the guy who actually drilled my first ball years and years ago. The staff are all personable and treat customers like family.

Amyers
07-20-2014, 06:24 PM

I have a seismic euphoria and love it great low to medium oil ball. We have quite a few of them being thrown in our house started with one and they have kind of caught on. Their balls seem to be one way or the other though they are either lighter oil balls or hook monsters not as much in the middle. If I was looking for a heavy oil big hook or a lighter oil ball give them a look.

I've never actually seen anyone throwing Lord Field I think they may be more on the west coast. I might try one some day I like unusual stuff.

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 06:31 PM
So you've thrown a little bit of it then, right?

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 06:31 PM
That ball I believe I've heard of. Just never looked into it in depth.

rv driver
07-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Lord Field is certainly proud of their products. I'm not too interested, because they don't market a 12# ball, which is what I have to throw right now.

Amyers
07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
So you've thrown a little bit of it then, right?

Yes I have it's been my only ball that I've used for leagues this summer. It hits great and is very versatile for me the only thing I've had issues with is it's not made for heavier oil conditions but on light or medium it's a great piece. I started out with it polished and it was great on the lighter oil for leagues I hit it with a little 2000 pad and it has been pretty good to me on the medium. The owner of my pro shop has the seismic euphoric and likes it really well and one of the other guys on my league is throwing a seismic raging bull that he says has replaced two storm balls he really liked. Truth is there are more great balls out right now than I have money to buy.

rv driver
07-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Yes I have it's been my only ball that I've used for leagues this summer. It hits great and is very versatile for me the only thing I've had issues with is it's not made for heavier oil conditions but on light or medium it's a great piece. I started out with it polished and it was great on the lighter oil for leagues I hit it with a little 2000 pad and it has been pretty good to me on the medium. The owner of my pro shop has the seismic euphoric and likes it really well and one of the other guys on my league is throwing a seismic raging bull that he says has replaced two storm balls he really liked. Truth is there are more great balls out right now than I have money to buy.
Noooo!!! Look awayyyy!!! Don't succumb to the Aslanness!
Step away from the checkbook, and no one gets hurt!
Remember, It's all fun-and-games until you have to get a bigger roller bag.

Amyers
07-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Noooo!!! Look awayyyy!!! Don't succumb to the Aslanness!
Step away from the checkbook, and no one gets hurt!
Remember, It's all fun-and-games until you have to get a bigger roller bag.

That's good Aslanness I'll have to steal that one

rv driver
07-20-2014, 07:01 PM
That's good Aslanness I'll have to steal that one
Feel free! And when you speak of me, speak well!

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 07:58 PM
You're certainly not the only one with that same thought. True that. ;p

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Btw, that question was actually addressed to Joker, ;p but thanks for answering anyway. ;p

Amyers
07-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Btw, that question was actually addressed to Joker, ;p but thanks for answering anyway. ;p

Sorry about that I had not noticed jokers response I guess you got two for the price of one

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 09:45 PM
It's all good. ;p

circlecity
07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
With leagues and centers closing more and more this will have a trickle down effect. Less serious bowlers means less balls bought.

1. So, small ball companies will either go out of business or be bought by ebonite or somebody.
2. Online ball retailers will also dwindle down some closing shop or selling to larger companies.
3. Of course the physical pro shops will suffer as well.

rv driver
07-21-2014, 12:57 PM
With leagues and centers closing more and more this will have a trickle down effect. Less serious bowlers means less balls bought.

1. So, small ball companies will either go out of business or be bought by ebonite or somebody.
2. Online ball retailers will also dwindle down some closing shop or selling to larger companies.
3. Of course the physical pro shops will suffer as well.
When I was a kid, we didn't have pro shops stocked with stuff. We had to order stuff out of a physical catalog and good luck finding a driller.

Shaneshu87
07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
When I was a kid, we didn't have pro shops stocked with stuff. We had to order stuff out of a physical catalog and good luck finding a driller.

i remember those days from when i was a child, my grandfather would always have a catalog on his coffee table and always have to drive 2 hours to Indianapolis to get it drilled

rv driver
07-22-2014, 09:35 AM
i remember those days from when i was a child, my grandfather would always have a catalog on his coffee table and always have to drive 2 hours to Indianapolis to get it drilled
But somehow, we got what we needed. Not that I want to go back to that system. The fully-stocked pro shop and online store is a much better option.

panbanger
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM

When I was a kid, in the early 80s, my first ball was bought from and drilled at a KMart!

rv driver
07-23-2014, 11:43 AM
When I was a kid, in the early 80s, my first ball was bought from and drilled at a KMart!
My first one was bought from and drilled at JC Penney.