PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with bowling balls no longer wanted?

Hammer
07-20-2014, 09:13 PM
For ones that are no good do you recycle them or throw them in the garbage? Ones that aren't shot do you give them to a pro shop to sell as a used ball? I want to make room for a new ball, maybe Storm Lights Out, so my wife doesn't say you have other balls in the closet already. Fall season will be here before we know it. I thought that the Lights Out would be a good fit between my Blue Hammer and my Raw Hammer Anger balls. I just wanted to try out a Storm product. I wanted to bowl some games with it to break it in before fall league starts in September.

rv driver
07-20-2014, 09:18 PM
For ones that are no good do you recycle them or throw them in the garbage? Ones that aren't shot do you give them to a pro shop to sell as a used ball? I want to make room for a new ball, maybe Storm Lights Out, so my wife doesn't say you have other balls in the closet already. Fall season will be here before we know it. I thought that the Lights Out would be a good fit between my Blue Hammer and my Raw Hammer Anger balls. I just wanted to try out a Storm product. I wanted to bowl some games with it to break it in before fall league starts in September.
I've had that same question. I guess there's always E-Bay...
Hate to just throw the old girl away, but it doesn't seem worth it to E-Bay it for $10...

mike_thomas93
07-20-2014, 09:44 PM
I ended up giving my Brunswick balls to the manager at my local alley last year, for her to give to other bowlers. Especially other youth bowlers. That was because I used to be a full roller and now I'm semi, and I started throwing DV8 balls, sooo yeah ;p before that, I had a couple of them in my bedroom closet ;p

Jaescrub
07-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Gave all my 15# balls to JR bowlers when I jumped to 16# you might look into doing that.

Amyers
07-20-2014, 10:55 PM
If it's in good condition but has no value leave it at the lanes as a house ball. Or you could look into donating it to a youth program if you have an alley that does that.

rv driver
07-20-2014, 11:04 PM
If it's in good condition but has no value leave it at the lanes as a house ball. Or you could look into donating it to a youth program if you have an alley that does that.
I'll check that out.

RobLV1
07-20-2014, 11:49 PM
I've given over 40 balls to the youth program over the past 5 years or so. This summer I am bowling a challenge shot league where several of the bowlers are high school team bowlers who bowl the league to improve their games over the summer. I came upon a 13 year old bowler who averages about 200 on tough Kegel patterns. Last week I gave him a couple of balls that will help him to round out his arsenal (a Storm Marvel S and a Reign On), and this week watched him as he annihilated a 45' pattern with the Marvel S. I don't know of a better feeling than to help out a young bowler!

Stormed1
07-21-2014, 12:15 AM
I've done a little of all of the above. I gave the center I bowl at on Mondays 13 balls to use as house ball. More current modwls I sell on ebay or facebook stc. Plus there a couple inner city,low income high school teams that I donate balls to

Blacksox1
07-21-2014, 12:17 AM
I've given over 40 balls to the youth program over the past 5 years or so. This summer I am bowling a challenge shot league where several of the bowlers are high school team bowlers who bowl the league to improve their games over the summer. I came upon a 13 year old bowler who averages about 200 on tough Kegel patterns. Last week I gave him a couple of balls that will help him to round out his arsenal (a Storm Marvel S and a Reign On), and this week watched him as he annihilated a 45' pattern with the Marvel S. I don't know of a better feeling than to help out a young bowler!

Well done RobLV1.

First, I try to trade with league members.
Second, after about a month, I try to give it away.
Third, after 2 more weeks, I will put it secretly on the house ball rack.
Last, if I forget the third option, it goes to the garbage pick up crew.

Hampe
07-21-2014, 05:16 AM
Well, I haven't owned all that many balls yet....but after switching from 14 lbs to 15, I donated two of my 14 lb. balls to the local junior team, and gave the 3rd one to a Canadian guy from one of the leagues I play in (he was using a house ball previously).

rv driver
07-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Getting one's back scratched by one's wife might be better...

That's a lot of balls. Good feeling, good tax write off, good philanthropy.

rv driver
07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
I've done a little of all of the above. I gave the center I bowl at on Mondays 13 balls to use as house ball. More current modwls I sell on ebay or facebook stc. Plus there a couple inner city,low income high school teams that I donate balls to
That's great, Stormed!

rv driver
07-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Well done RobLV1.

First, I try to trade with league members.
Second, after about a month, I try to give it away.
Third, after 2 more weeks, I will put it secretly on the house ball rack.
Last, if I forget the third option, it goes to the garbage pick up crew.
Years from now, in the far distant future, beyond Thunderdome, archaeologists and looters will discover huge caches of Michael's and Aslan's bowling balls in the landfill, scratch their heads, and wonder "just what kind of eggs did ancient Man lay, anyway?!"

Joker
07-21-2014, 08:41 AM
If the ball was good I keep it and hold onto it, if the ball was mehh then i just sell it

bowl1820
07-21-2014, 08:44 AM
I've give them away at the alley by putting them on the table with a for free sign on it. Usually when the high school travel league is there.

circlecity
07-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Goodwill will take them.

CaptainXeroid
07-21-2014, 07:50 PM
1) Craigslist or word of mouth local sale with no shipping.
2) eBay or Bowling Ball Trading Post on FB
3) Donate to bowling alley for house ball.

The only 2 balls I couldn't get anyone to 'take' was a Brunswick Fireball back in 1991 & a White Dot with about a dozen plugs...it was my experimental ball back in the short oil days. It was drilled over the label, leverage, axis, and probably something else I can't recall.

tccstudent
07-21-2014, 10:24 PM
I have a bunch of balls I need to put up for sale that I dont use or want anymore just dont have the time to do it

Mudpuppy
07-22-2014, 11:34 AM
I leave them at the alley when I retire them

Jaescrub
07-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Speaking of older bowling balls. If any on you find a New in drilled 15# Storm Trauma hit it for me. It's the OG Trauma not the trauma ER, Recovery, ex. In fact ask around for me Thanks ;)

jnv32185
07-23-2014, 03:20 AM
I leave them at the alley when I retire them

I do the same thing with my old bowling balls. I figure someone else can get use out of them.

JohnnyG
07-23-2014, 07:43 AM
I dont throw them or sale .. I give them some room where I made them display for collections :)

Geneo2u
07-25-2014, 09:03 AM
could plant them in the front yard...

MICHAEL
07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
If you Got The Balls, take them to your local Holy Rollers Church!! Its a fact that they are always open, and welcome anything that Rolls!!!

Hey,,,,, a joke,,,, I kid the,,,, holly Cow Batman!!! .......:rolleyes:

classygranny
07-25-2014, 06:05 PM
could plant them in the front yard...

I once saw a website that showed how to make things out of them. One was a turtle, one was a rabbit for yard decorations.

I wouldn't mind donating mine to the youth, but it seems our youth bowlers have to have the latest, greatest and wouldn't even consider a hand-me-down.

rv driver
07-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Don't know that anyone would want my old, rubber ball, unless they're a collector.

Beagle
07-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Bowled with a guy who buried them in his backyard...And he would dig em up if he thought it would help. Avg a duece. Also seen a couple of guys open door and throw it down the street when not scoring well. Another one painted them and lined them on his front walk.

rv driver
07-30-2014, 09:19 PM
I guess you could paint 'em as jack-O-lanterns and use them at Halloween...