PDA

View Full Version : Ball "Burning Up" Example video

bowl1820
07-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Ran across this in a Kegel article, a video example of the bowling ball hitting weak by slowing down too early or “burning up”.

This is Chris Barnes and he leaves the 5-7-10, the slo-mo part is where you can really see the ball just die at the breakpoint markers before hitting the pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hm66pu-F2Q

Shaneshu87
07-21-2014, 09:01 PM
ive seen that left by allot of up the 10 boarders with super slow speed and low revs, typically older folks, so i always assumed it was their lack of power. interseting

Amyers
07-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Heck I've thrown some similar I usually take out the 5 pin though for a pocket 7-10

MICHAEL
07-22-2014, 12:53 AM
I have never had the 5,7,10 split have had a few 7, 10s in my life. It looked to me like he had his wrist cocked, and put lift on the ball! Could it have been a bad spot in the oil, that made the angle of entry off? sounds like this was filmed in England??? crappy oil???

fortheloveofbowling
07-22-2014, 01:58 AM
Barnes has such a hard roll that it is burning up. His preference is to get a ball to lay off on the back to control the pocket. He has a very high rev rate but his track is extremely high vs a guy like fagan who has a high rev rate also but tracks very low and gets more snap on the back. The initial ball track or first line of oil on their ball is probably at least 3 inches different. I know barnes has worked hard in the past few years on increasing his axis tilt and fagan has tried to lower his. Versatility is what makes those guys great.

RobLV1
07-22-2014, 04:14 AM
This is a very good example of why it is so important to watch the ball as it goes through the pins. Notice that when the ball first hits the head pin, it has so little energy left that it deflects and goes dead right through the pins. When you see the ball start to go toward the nine pin rather than straight back between the eight and the nine, it's time to move left to find more oil to help the ball retain more energy.

rv driver
07-22-2014, 09:33 AM
That's AMAZING! You can actually see the ball put on the brakes and become dramatically slower at the break point. And then it just sort of takes a hard right turn when it hits the head pin.

Joker
07-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I remember seeing that for the first time awhile back, def a good reference vid