PDA

View Full Version : Link on Norm Dukes take on using a spare ball....

Hammer
07-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Do you need a spare ball? Maybe not. Listen to Norm Duke on what he thinks about spare ball use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQxPUpYXDk&list=UU2Qo4SrSRi952gPiJM3dIxQ&index=22

Instead of plastic maybe you can get away using a urethane ball. The talk about spare balls starts at about the 2:05 mark.

Aslan
07-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Oh geez...here we go again!!

He's talking about throwing a stronger hooking ball using a back-up release. I didn't realize thats what he did. That would be very hard to learn for the average bowler. I've thrown a back-up ball and it's something I like to play with...but I have no accuracy with it right now. Seems like flattening the wrist would be a better option. IMO.

bowl1820
07-31-2014, 07:42 PM
Do you need a spare ball? Maybe not. Listen to Norm Duke on what he thinks about spare ball use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQxPUpYXDk&list=UU2Qo4SrSRi952gPiJM3dIxQ&index=22

Instead of plastic maybe you can get away using a urethane ball. The talk about spare balls starts at about the 2:05 mark.

You can see this and the other videos in the thread:

Click for Next Level Bowling with Norm Duke Parts 1-2-3-4-5-6 (Next Level Bowling with Norm Duke 1-2-3-4-5-6)

Amyers
07-31-2014, 07:49 PM

He's talking about throwing a stronger hooking ball using a back-up release. I didn't realize thats what he did. That would be very hard to learn for the average bowler. I've thrown a back-up ball and it's something I like to play with...but I have no accuracy with it right now. Seems like flattening the wrist would be a better option. IMO.

What do you think I've been trying to tell you. PDW does that also.

Hammer
07-31-2014, 09:04 PM

I tried doing a backup ball a few times and not only is it hard for me but my wrist doesn't seem to like it either. I use my urethane Blue Hammer for a spare ball for all pins from the 5 going left-I am a lefty.

Konvict1982
07-31-2014, 09:11 PM
I tried to throw a back up ball once ... my middle finger didn't clear the hole and needless say I think I nearly broke it. Wasn't able to bowl for like 2 weeks and haven't tried it again since.

Amyers
07-31-2014, 09:37 PM
I can do it some time really well other not so much just like the rest of my game

fortheloveofbowling
07-31-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm like konvict, it feels like i'm going to break a finger when i have tried a backup before. So i use my 50 year old black diamond and it works just fine.

zdawg
07-31-2014, 09:58 PM
I tried to throw a back up ball once ... my middle finger didn't clear the hole and needless say I think I nearly broke it. Wasn't able to bowl for like 2 weeks and haven't tried it again since.

I have this problem as well, my middle finger bends at the first knuckle sideways, in fact its been a few months since I've thrown one and every once in a while I still get some soreness in that knuckle after bowling whereas before I never had the issue. I think its just a matter of having done some damage, and my joints don't heal as quickly as they used to :(

Konvict1982
07-31-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm like konvict, it feels like i'm going to break a finger when i have tried a backup before. So i use my 50 year old black diamond and it works just fine.

I have this problem as well, my middle finger bends at the first knuckle sideways, in fact its been a few months since I've thrown one and every once in a while I still get some soreness in that knuckle after bowling whereas before I never had the issue. I think its just a matter of having done some damage, and my joints don't heal as quickly as they used to :(

Yeah my finger turned black and blue from the first knuckle and swelled up bad ... I played a lot of baseball and football as a kid so jammed and broke a few fingers over the years. Iced it up a few days and made a homemade splint and didn't use it for a week and started feeling better but I refuse to try again when I am able to pick up my 10 pins with a plastic ball and normal release.

My buddy throws it sometimes goofing off and tries to get me to try again and I am just like NOPE.

Amyers
07-31-2014, 10:23 PM
I understand a lot of people who are really good can't do it. I don't feel as if it's puts any additional stress on my fingers it's just basically like coming up the back of the ball but with a inside movement of the wrist. When I'm on with it I'm 80 % or better on ten pins when I'm not I might as well walk up and throw it in the gutter.

MICHAEL
07-31-2014, 11:16 PM
I can easly throw the Deadly Aim, or bye, at a ten pin! I don't use a backup release, but I SWEAR BY THE PALM UP method! I throw it a little harder then my first ball, toward the pocket, but it rolls end over end! It doesn't hurt the wrist, and it has increased my percentages on 10 a BUNCH! I still will miss one now and then,,,, only because I take my eyes off my mark before the release!

I know norm is talking about a degree of backup,,, I find that the straight shot, keeping my elbow lined up with the 10 pin, walking toward the left gutter, and shooting center arrow... WORKS LIKE A CHAMP... and any ball will do, I used a sling shot, for the pesky pin!

Norm is a great bowler FOR SURE,,,, but he is not ICEMAN!!! I use the palm up release! LOL (give it a try) That's my two cents for what its Worth!

Bowling like many sports, ,,,,, there are many ways to skin a Cat!! Try several of them, and go with the one that works for YOU! Norm I tried your slight backup ball, and it didn't feel good on my wrist!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/huge-broken-hand-woman-bandage-40722399_zps8a3e240a.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/huge-broken-hand-woman-bandage-40722399_zps8a3e240a.jpg.html)

This poor girl threw a BACK UP ball and is now paying the price with a broken wrist,,,, A BIG BROKEN WRIST!!! Don't try one without a Coach, or ambulance present!

rv driver
08-01-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm sorry. I'm old school. Just throw plastic up the boards or cross-lane with some accuracy. It ain't that hard!

Aslan
08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Norm is a great bowler FOR SURE,,,, but he is not ICEMAN!!!

Wait...what?

Well, Norm, the "Duke of Bowling" certainly doesn't have the "gift". I mean he climbed the stepladder and beat Earl Anthony for his first title at 18 years of age, 37 titles, one of only 3 players > $3 million in career earnings...considered by most one of the top 10 bowlers of all-time...but "gifted"...no. He actually works at it...gets instruction and all that.

rv driver
08-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Wait...what?

Well, Norm, the "Duke of Bowling" certainly doesn't have the "gift". I mean he climbed the stepladder and beat Earl Anthony for his first title at 18 years of age, 37 titles, one of only 3 players > $3 million in career earnings...considered by most one of the top 10 bowlers of all-time...but "gifted"...no. He actually works at it...gets instruction and all that.
Well, he certainly didn't discover Plattsburg Lanes, did he?!

H3RBSKI
08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
this baffles me... ive always used my hook balls as spare balls. i can throw my heavy hooking ball just as straight as a spare ball. it really annoys me when i see people bowling spare ball with revs at a 10pin just because they cant bowl straight. its really not that hard....

Amyers
08-01-2014, 10:35 PM
this baffles me... ive always used my hook balls as spare balls. i can throw my heavy hooking ball just as straight as a spare ball. it really annoys me when i see people bowling spare ball with revs at a 10pin just because they cant bowl straight. its really not that hard....

Some can flatten out their wrist fine others can't. I can throw a backup ball better than I can with my wrist flattened. Even then start throwing on some sport patterns and see how well you do throwing that heavy hook ball at a ten pin

H3RBSKI
08-01-2014, 10:39 PM
ive bowled on cheetah, viper and badger. as we have open coaching days at my local centre 4 lanes each with different patterns and one with a pba patten.. its really not that hard. i have limited movement in my wrist due to nerve damage but i can still get just under 500 rpm or bowl the ball straight as an arrow.

rv driver
08-01-2014, 10:42 PM
ive bowled on cheetah, viper and badger. as we have open coaching days at my local centre 4 lanes each with different patterns and one with a pba patten.. its really not that hard. i have limited movement in my wrist due to nerve damage but i can still get just under 500 rpm or bowl the ball straight as an arrow.
Lucky! Plastic I can throw straight. Right now, reactive's still a finesse thing for me.