PDA

View Full Version : Is a good release required for a good PAP measurement?

Hammer
08-01-2014, 12:15 PM
It seems to me anyway that you have to have somewhat of a good release to get a pretty accurate PAP measurement for your ball. If you are coming around the ball early or if your wrist is breaking back before you get to the release area and if when you let go of the ball your hand is on top of the ball instead of behind it it would seem that a good PAP measurement would be impossible to get. A good PAP reading would seem more possible if at release your hand is behind the ball entering the release area and when you let go of the ball your hand rotates anywhere between 0 degrees to 90 degrees when the ball comes off of your fingers.

If you can't accomplish that kind of release the pro shop guy will probably just give you a standard layout. If you can't get a decent PAP reading then no matter what ball you get it isn't going to work like it is supposed to. Any balls reaction is going to look good on the videos they show because the guys throwing them have good releases. What they need to do is show how balls react when guys and gals with bad releases throw them. It would be interesting to see where PAPs would end up on a ball with bad releases.

So save your money and get entry level balls until you learn a good release. Getting the high powered hooking balls are not going to make your lousy release better.

RobLV1
08-01-2014, 12:32 PM
You don't need a "good" release to get an accurate PAP measurement. You do need a consistent release, whether it be "good" or "bad." If your release isn't consistent, you can still get an average PAP number that will be pretty close. There's no magic to finding the "correct" PAP. It's just a reference point to determine layouts from one ball to another.

Hammer
08-01-2014, 01:45 PM
You don't need a "good" release to get an accurate PAP measurement. You do need a consistent release, whether it be "good" or "bad." If your release isn't consistent, you can still get an average PAP number that will be pretty close. There's no magic to finding the "correct" PAP. It's just a reference point to determine layouts from one ball to another.

I understand that you can get a PAP with a bad release. You have to wonder where a PAP would be located if a bowler releases the ball with their hand on top of the ball. You have to agree though that a PAP with a good release will give you a lot better chance to get a layout that will make the ball you get react like it is supposed to on the lane condition you bowl on in your house.

rv driver
08-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I understand that you can get a PAP with a bad release. You have to wonder where a PAP would be located if a bowler releases the ball with their hand on top of the ball. You have to agree though that a PAP with a good release will give you a lot better chance to get a layout that will make the ball you get react like it is supposed to on the lane condition you bowl on in your house.
Yeah, but as I understand it, if your hand is on top of the ball, the ball reaction will be crappy, anyway, regardless of the layout.

RobLV1
08-01-2014, 07:36 PM

I really have to question your statement about a ball "reacting like it is supposed to." Balls only react to the lane condition and the technique of the bowler, in relation to other balls the bowler uses. In other words, if a speed dominant player uses an early rolling ball with little surface, it may very well go long and snap, for that bowler, despite the fact that it was not designed to react that way for everyone.

Hammer
08-01-2014, 10:36 PM
By reacting like the ball you get is supposed to I am talking about getting a PAP reading with a good release. Then from there the pro shop employee can watch you bowl and see what your speed and rev rate is and have an easier time deciding for a good layout for you. With a consistent good release it would be easier to figure out layouts for future new balls you would decide to get. Someone not practiced for a good release would end up with a different release on every shot because of a lack of consistency. Then how do you figure out a layout from there?

fortheloveofbowling
08-01-2014, 10:59 PM
A positivr axis point measurement can vary wildly even for a good release. Mike fagan has a very high axis tilt and i have heard he might only be 2 1/2 - 3 inches over versus chris barnes who is probably 5 1/2+. When you have it measured you want to use a lower flaring ball for consistency. The first oil line is the starting point. If the release fluctuates so wildly for someone though honestly i would tell them don't worry about a lot of technical stuff until they are more consistent. Just sayin.

Joker
08-01-2014, 11:02 PM
PAPs can vary so much depending on how you release the ball each time. I knew a guy who's pap was so different compared to his end over end roll vs his off the side roll. It all depends but good idea to tell your driller what you want to use the ball for and how you plan to use it