PDA

View Full Version : Foul Light question..

bubba809
08-05-2014, 10:54 AM
It is a fun "guys night out" league so it will probably not be enforced since the alleys wont do anything about this.

mc_runner
08-05-2014, 11:40 AM
If he goes over the line and trips the foul, he should get a zero for the frame and a rerack. If the buzzer is just going off as a mistake or malfunction (i.e. he's stopping behind it and the ball is tripping it or something) then that's another matter.

Since it's unsanctioned you'll probably just need to meet with the president/team captains and vote on a league bylaw or something.

bubba809
08-05-2014, 12:47 PM
If he goes over the line and trips the foul, he should get a zero for the frame and a rerack. If the buzzer is just going off as a mistake or malfunction (i.e. he's stopping behind it and the ball is tripping it or something) then that's another matter.

Since it's unsanctioned you'll probably just need to meet with the president/team captains and vote on a league bylaw or something.

No no no..he IS going over the foul line, that's the problem. Even though this is a fun league, should this still be counted as a zero? I wonder if anyone else's house does this?

bowl1820
08-05-2014, 03:17 PM
No no no..he IS going over the foul line, that's the problem. Even though this is a fun league, should this still be counted as a zero? I wonder if anyone else's house does this?

Yes it would scored as a foul. If the automatic scoring doesnt score it correctly. Then you would manually correct the score to show the foul.

And if it was on the first ball, you also would rerack the pins to a full rack then they would shoot for the spare.

If the league is unsanctioned but using usbc rules this is it:

5c. Foul Detection
A USBC approved automatic foul detecting device must be used, if available. When not available or temporarily inoperative, the following procedures shall be used to call fouls:
1. In tournament play, management shall assign a foul judge or have the official scorers call fouls.

2. In league play, the opposing team captains shall call fouls or a foul judge shall be appointed.
Failure to provide for the calling of fouls as specified shall disqualify scores bowled for USBC High Score Award consideration.

5d. Apparent
A foul shall be declared and recorded if the automatic foul detecting device or foul judge fails to call a foul that is apparent to:
1. Both captains, or one or more members of each of the opposing teams, or 2. The official scorer, or
3. A tournament official.
If there is a dispute, refer to Rule 10, Provisional Ball.
Commonly Asked Question – Rule 5c.
5c/1 What happens if our foul lights are not available?
If not available, members of the league should be advised the captains are responsible for the calling of fouls or someone can be designated to act as a foul judge.

Given if this is a"fun" league and if its been a common practice to ignore the foul lights. Then its kind of up to you if you want say anything.

Its probably going to be one of those things nobody cares about, untill one night when something is on the line and someone decides to take seriously. Then it will hit the fan.

Aslan
08-05-2014, 07:16 PM
I swear those things never work.

I've seen drunk youngsters wander out onto the lane and not set em off.

bubba809
08-07-2014, 08:45 AM
I swear those things never work.

I've seen drunk youngsters wander out onto the lane and not set em off.

Oh they work for us and that's the problem. This guy has a 180 average but we say he would probably have a 150-160 avg if he actually received a ZERO for his fouls!

got_a_300
08-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Anytime you go over the foul line in any league / tournament
whether it is sanctioned or un-sanctioned and release the ball
off of your hand and onto the lane then it should be called a foul.

I believe the only way you can cross the foul line and it not be
called a foul is if you do not release the ball onto the lane like
PBA player Mike Machuga does sometimes to celebrate a win or
to put on a show for the fans.

Mike White
08-11-2014, 02:57 AM
Anytime you go over the foul line in any league / tournament
whether it is sanctioned or un-sanctioned and release the ball
off of your hand and onto the lane then it should be called a foul.

I believe the only way you can cross the foul line and it not be
called a foul is if you do not release the ball onto the lane like
PBA player Mike Machuga does sometimes to celebrate a win or
to put on a show for the fans.

You need to be careful with that "onto the lane" part because people have been known to miss the lane.

I've even seen Aslan release the ball directly into the gutter.

I think "beyond the foul line" should replace "onto the lane"

got_a_300
08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
You need to be careful with that "onto the lane" part because people have been known to miss the lane.

I've even seen Aslan release the ball directly into the gutter.

I think "beyond the foul line" should replace "onto the lane"

You are correct sir that is the way I intended for it to sound
but I just put it in the wrong wording.

mike_thomas93
08-16-2014, 10:33 PM
I've seen something like this before during my high school bowling time. In one of our matches, one of the opposing players kept going over the foul line, but the foul lights weren't on, and he ended up shooting 500+ in his 2 singles games. Obviously it shouldn't have even been that, but luckily during baker, the coach called it out a few times when he foul.