PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone not use a spare ball?

Blomer
08-05-2014, 05:36 PM
In my short bowling experience, I never used a spare ball. A large percentage of the time I can get my spares....except the dreaded 10 pin. With the 10, I go on streaks of getting it, nothing to consistent. I just liked using 1 ball through out. Now that I upgraded my strike ball, Brunswick Karma to Storm Optimus, I use both those balls as the Optimus is to aggressive for me to get those pins close to the right gutter. Today I went to get my thumb hole opened up a little bit and broke down and bought a spare ball. If I can get those 10 s I will increase my average a lot.

Does anyone not use a spare ball? Or is it an expected practice?
Also, throwing a spare ball, do I have to do anything special or just toss it like my normal shot?

Thanks for the info!

Aslan
08-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Does anyone not use a spare ball? Or is it an expected practice?
Also, throwing a spare ball, do I have to do anything special or just toss it like my normal shot?

Awwww....boy.

Lets just say...this topic has been discussed about as much as the Kennedy Assasination.

In a nutshell...just about EVERYONE on this site uses a plastic spare ball and swears by it.

Iceman and myself use a less reactive spare ball (but not plastic).

Nobody uses their strike ball on all spares. Many use it for spares on the left side of the lane (for righties)...but then switch to a non-reactive (or less for me and Iceman) ball for most right side leaves.

I initially learned to bowl using my strike ball for all shots. I think it's a good way to learn lateral movement. I personally feel too many people start relying on a plastic spare ball too early and don't get good at lateral movement and targeting first.

But as you progress, you'll either:

1) Have a weak release that allows you to use a less reactive spare ball for right side spares...and it'll give you a slight cushion if you miss right...but a slight problem if you miss left.
or
2) You'll learn to flatten your wrist to throw any ball straight and prefer that method.
or
3) Like 97% of real bowlers and pros...you'll find an excuse to get a nice shiny plastic ball and that will be your "spare ball".

CaptainXeroid
08-05-2014, 09:09 PM
• Some folks like to use the same ball so they don't have to worry about the spare ball feeling different.
• Some folks like plastic so they don't need to radically change their release
• Some folks have a slower ball speed and prefer the extra margin of the plastic going STRAIGHT.

The key is to find what you find comfortable and repeatable to cover your spares. As long as ball meets pin, there is no wrong answer.

Hammer
08-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I don't use a spare ball. For spares I use my urethane Blue Hammer with a 2000 Abralon dull surface. Being a lefty my usual corner pin leave is the 7 pin. My urethane Hammer is good for me on spare leaves that are from the 5 pin left. From the 6 pin right I use my resin ball which is my Raw Hammer Anger with a 4000 Abralon surface polished. I bowl on THS patterns which are most house leagues. After years of playing this way I think a plastic ball would screw me up. Everybody has their own preference on how to pick up spares.

classygranny
08-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I don't use a spare ball. For spares I use my urethane Blue Hammer with a 2000 Abralon dull surface. Being a lefty my usual corner pin leave is the 7 pin. My urethane Hammer is good for me on spare leaves that are from the 5 pin left. From the 6 pin right I use my resin ball which is my Raw Hammer Anger with a 4000 Abralon surface polished. I bowl on THS patterns which are most house leagues. After years of playing this way I think a plastic ball would screw me up. Everybody has their own preference on how to pick up spares.

Sorry, but I disagree. You say you don't use a spare ball, and then in the next sentence you say, "for SPARES I use my urethane Blue Hammer". Thus, to me, you use a Blue Hammer as a spare ball.

While I understand it is not a plastic spare ball, and you could bowl with it as your strike ball, so can those that throw plastic, if they so choose.

So as the OP asks, "Does any one NOT use a spare ball? The answer would probably be, not very many people, including yourself, Aslan, and Iceman.

Using a ball that doesn't hook as much just makes sense - just because it isn't a PLASTIC SPARE ball, doesn't mean it isn't a SPARE ball.

Amyers
08-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Sorry, but I disagree. You say you don't use a spare ball, and then in the next sentence you say, "for SPARES I use my urethane Blue Hammer". Thus, to me, you use a Blue Hammer as a spare ball.

While I understand it is not a plastic spare ball, and you could bowl with it as your strike ball, so can those that throw plastic, if they so choose.

So as the OP asks, "Does any one NOT use a spare ball? The answer would probably be, not very many people, including yourself, Aslan, and Iceman.

Using a ball that doesn't hook as much just makes sense - just because it isn't a PLASTIC SPARE ball, doesn't mean it isn't a SPARE ball.

I use my euphoria as a strike and spare ball. If I'm throwing the asylum I do use the euphoria for right side spares but I throw a backup ball at 10 pins. I wouldn't suggest this route though I plan to add a spare ball.

Spare balls are generally a good idea especially if playing on sport patterns

Hampe
08-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Spare balls are generally a good idea especially if playing on sport patternsIt doesn't even have to be sport patterns. Just playing in a different center can be a huge difference. Depending on the lane surface and amount of oil being used, two THS patterns will react differently. I used to struggle to get spares when playing in different centers (or at least had a transition period of 2-3 games), because the lines for each spare I had to play were different than what I was doing at my home center.

I've noticed a huge improvement in my game since January (I had been using the spare ball for 4-5 months at that point and finally had all my lines worked out), and it's MUCH more noticeable playing in other centers. Now when I go play a tournament in another center, my spare game is on from frame 1, no transition, no adjustment, no change required at all. Having your spare game to always rely on will also give you a nice boost in confidence.

Also, throwing a spare ball, do I have to do anything special or just toss it like my normal shot?Unless you have a really slow ball speed (or the lane your playing on hasn't been oiled for a week), you most likely wont have to change anything on your release when shooting spares. That's the big advantage of a spare ball. No calculations required as to where you're aiming and what kind of release you need to do, just hit your spot and get your spare.

rv driver
08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
No calculations required as to where you're aiming and what kind of release you need to do, just hit your spot and get your spare.
That seems more up my alley (no pun intended) at this point in my game.

H3RBSKI
08-06-2014, 12:12 PM
never used a spare ball and see no point. i can bowl my hook balls straight as any spare ball. just keep my hand behind the ball on release and bowl a little faster.

Aslan
08-06-2014, 02:05 PM
It doesn't even have to be sport patterns. Just playing in a different center can be a huge difference. Depending on the lane surface and amount of oil being used, two THS patterns will react differently. I used to struggle to get spares when playing in different centers (or at least had a transition period of 2-3 games), because the lines for each spare I had to play were different than what I was doing at my home center....That's the big advantage of a spare ball. No calculations required as to where you're aiming and what kind of release you need to do, just hit your spot and get your spare.

I actually agree with that 100%. IF/WHEN I convert to a urethane or plastic spare ball...it'll be for those 2 reasons:

1) I do struggle when going from center to center because by right side spare shot is somewhat dependent on the amount of dryness on the outside.
and/or
2) I don't like changing (flattening my wrist or back-up ball) my release. I'd prefer a spare ball over changing my release...at this point anyways.

Hammer
08-06-2014, 08:24 PM

I should have clarified myself a little more. I meant that I don't use a plastic ball for spares. My Blue Hammer is not strictly a spare ball. If
conditions are not right for my Anger ball then I use my Blue as a strike ball and spare ball. Usually plastic balls are used as spare balls.

Lloyd6770
08-07-2014, 06:11 PM
From what I gather, it's actually illegal in tournaments/leagues, but I don't bowl in tournaments/leagues, so there you are. For my 6, 9, and/or 10 pin pickups, (I'm a righty), I throw my normal ball, but left handed, with a big sweeping hook. I probably pick up the 10-pin 75% of the time, if not more. (Kind of pulled that number out of thin air, but I know I get it more than I miss it).

bowl1820
08-07-2014, 06:19 PM
From what I gather, it's actually illegal in tournaments/leagues, but I don't bowl in tournaments/leagues, so there you are.
What's illegal? Using a spare ball? not using one?

It's NOT illegal in tournaments or leagues.

Blomer
08-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Why would using a plastic eb be illegal in tournament or leagues? In my league a good majority uses them. On tv, you see the pros changing for spares.

Amyers
08-07-2014, 06:38 PM
What's illegal? Using a spare ball? not using one?

It's NOT illegal in tournaments or leagues.

He's referring to throwing left handed since he is a righty

Beagle
08-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Ill use my 1st ball for spares. I just switch fingers and use the ring and pinky. goes straight for me

Lloyd6770
08-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Sorry guys, I should have specified better. Yes, what I've gathered is illegal is throwing the ball with the opposite hand from your normal throw, (i.e., throwing with my left hand when I'm a righty).

Blomer
08-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info! I missed a bunch of 10s today so hopefully when I get my spare ball, I'll clean that up.

Mudpuppy
08-08-2014, 09:26 AM
No spare ball for me

RobLV1
08-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Last night in a challenge shot league we bowled on a 34' pattern. Scores were very low. I shot 168-185-195-190 and won all ten points, for the simple reason that I only had four opens in four games and all were splits or washouts. I watched bowler after bowler try to hook their strike ball to pick up spares, or try to flatten it out to get to the ten pin. I watched miss after miss. The only reason for not using a spare ball is that you just don't understand that the game has changed. Every bowler that I have seen that insists on using their strike ball for spares learned to bowl before the modern era (reactive balls with powerful cores, synthetic lanes, synthetic oils), or was taught by someone who learned before the modern era. When you are ready to really reach the highest level that you are capable of achieving, you'll break down and learn to use a plastic spare ball. It's really just that simple.

Hampe
08-08-2014, 10:34 AM
I've had the same experience watching other players in a lot of tournaments that weren't on THS (and I use to be in that situation myself). It can be really demoralizing missing spares on shots you thought would pick them up (say, skidding through the oil and missing right of the 7 pin when you normally would have hooked into it and picked it up). And once you start getting demoralized from missing a few of those, it can really start to take a toll on the rest of your game as well.

Since I've gotten adjusted to using the plastic ball for all spares, it feels like the absolute worst I can do is a 160 something. That feeling is a huge confidence boost, which helps me in other aspects of my game as well. I've written so much about this topic, but I just can't stress enough how important it is. Now that I know the difference, I feel like such an idiot for taking so long to switch.

jnv32185
08-11-2014, 03:42 AM
I do not use a spare ball and never have used one. I currently use my strike ball which is a Hammer Arson for both strikes and spares. I have done a fair share of research regarding spare balls and although I am considering getting one my self. I do not feel I need to get one immediately as I do not miss many spares as it is and do not feel like it will make much if any of a difference in my average.

Aslan
08-11-2014, 06:12 PM
The only reason for not using a spare ball is that you just don't understand that the game has changed.

I don't think the "game" has changed. But I think the equipment has.

RobLV1
08-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Sorry, Aslan, but the game has also changed. When the USBC stopped monitoring lane conditions and dumbed down the oil requirements to the point that proprietors can do just about anything they want, bowlers got free hook in the track area. When you throw a ball across the track area, it will hook, unless it has very little friction (plastic). Argue all you want, but you WILL figure it out eventually and buy one.

Aslan
08-12-2014, 12:50 AM
Argue all you want, but you WILL figure it out eventually and buy one.

Little known fact: Rob is secretly an evil Genie that can see into the future.

Amyers
08-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Sorry, Aslan, but the game has also changed. When the USBC stopped monitoring lane conditions and dumbed down the oil requirements to the point that proprietors can do just about anything they want, bowlers got free hook in the track area. When you throw a ball across the track area, it will hook, unless it has very little friction (plastic). Argue all you want, but you WILL figure it out eventually and buy one.

I've been throwing a backup at the 10 pin and have gotten good at it 12/13. Where I'm seeing this is the 7 and 8 pins at least once or twice a series I've got one that hits more oil than I expect or less and takes off on me. Will have plastic spare ball for fall.

mike_thomas93
08-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Norm Duke doesn't use a spare ball ;p

Aslan
08-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Norm Duke doesn't use a spare ball ;p

:rolleyes:

RobLV1
08-12-2014, 06:29 PM
The only one who can use Norm Duke as proof that you don't need a plastic spare ball is Norm Duke. Norm is an anomaly: he has more control over the motion of a bowling ball than anyone else on the planet. If you have that much control over how your ball rolls, I surely hope to see you in the finals at the WSOB later this year.

Blomer
08-12-2014, 06:41 PM
I just picked up spare ball at a pro shop at a different house than I bowl at. First 6 10 pins I picked up, only shot at the 10. Can't wait to shoot it at my alley! Hopefully be a lift in my average when Fall starts.

austin
08-13-2014, 05:11 AM
I don't use a spare ball as I just flatten out and throw straight. The other reason I don't use one is the fact that it is taking up a spot in the bag that could be better used for something for different lane conditions. I don't see the point in carrying a ball that is only there for a minor percentage of actual use.

RobLV1
08-13-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't use a spare ball as I just flatten out and throw straight. The other reason I don't use one is the fact that it is taking up a spot in the bag that could be better used for something for different lane conditions. I don't see the point in carrying a ball that is only there for a minor percentage of actual use.

Funny, but the ball that I use the most out of my entire arsenal is my plastic spare ball. Those bowlers that only use plastic for ten pin and six pin conversions are missing most of the benefits of using plastic. Once you learn to throw plastic straight at all of your non-double-wood spares, you will see tremendous benefits to your game. Anytime you bowl on a sport shot, or a particularly difficult pair of lanes, your ability to pick up spares consistently, you will be the one to prevail. Personally, in the last 21 games I've bowled, I've missed only one single pin spare, and that was a four pin where I stuck at the line. That's a 98% single pin conversion rate. Can you say the same?

MICHAEL
08-13-2014, 11:49 AM
I think Norm Duke might have something,, Like the guy above I have been experimenting with bowling balls here lately. I can now pick up a ten pin with the same flat end over end non hooking technique with any of my power balls.

WHEN I THORW my Byte, or Deadly-Aim with my palm up and at slightly above average seed,,, YOU would swear its a plastic ball! Straighter then an arrow. It works great for many of those other spares you mentioned.

I really think Norm might have something there! And ,,, it will allow me to bring One Extra Power ball on days I don't want to bring my 6 ball bag.

MY method, and its working GREAT for me is the release of my ball that gets it down end over end roll.

Not sure why it works for me, but the ball does not recover and hook at all! Could it be the speed along with the Palm UP release, don't know, I just think Norm might have something there!

Plastic is good for credit cards, but not for ICEMAN's spares,,, I have found that any ball I own can roll like plastic with the proper release.

Might not work for everyone, but I am VERY HAPPY with my results so far.

vdubtx
08-13-2014, 12:04 PM

What is your strike percentage? If you are even up to 60% striking, still a lot of spares to be shot.

I cant imagine not having my spare ball to pick up single pins on the right side. This next year, one of my practice goals is to get better at all single and some double wood spares using the plastic.

Mike White
08-13-2014, 12:58 PM
What is your strike percentage? If you are even up to 60% striking, still a lot of spares to be shot.

I cant imagine not having my spare ball to pick up single pins on the right side. This next year, one of my practice goals is to get better at all single and some double wood spares using the plastic.

I have a much straighter release for spare shots so I guess I could use almost any ball to pick up a 10 pin, but I use plastic.

What I have found for making a 3-9 double wood spare, is to place my feet in the same spot as for a 10 pin, move my target right 2 boards, then throw my strike release with the plastic ball.

It gets close to the gutter at about 45-50 feet, but makes it back pretty solid on the 3-9.

As for a 2-8, I use the wall of oil to help, I throw a slightly tugged strike line, and move my feet 5 boards right, with the strike ball, and strike release.

On a normal day, the "hold area" for most people, goes brooklyn for me, so I decided to use it for the 2-8 type spares.