PDA

View Full Version : Spinner vs Hand

MICHAEL
08-06-2014, 11:04 AM
I have a innovative spinner, and use it a lot to clean balls after bowling and resurfacing.

Question,,, after using my starting grit of 500, doing the 4 side technique, with the spinner,,, is it BETTER to do the remaining steps by hand?

When you use a spinner it limits the direction of sanding while spinning to one direction.

I got to thinking that maybe doing the finishing steps by hand in small circular motions with light pressure might actually give a better finish?

I would still use my spinner, but only as a GUIDE as to do the circular motions to all four sides more evenly.

Do many of you take pads with you on league night to make adjustments while warming up for league?

Using a sanding pad on polished balls, during a warm up, doesn't it remove the polish?

I would think on solid balls league adjustments, ( with sanding pads) might be one thing, but doing that on a pearl polished ball might another.

Amyers
08-06-2014, 11:15 AM
When resurfacing you want the most consistent results as possible so you can repeat it so use the spinner always when resurfacing for all the steps.

I don't generally change the surface of my balls before league but if I was bowling a competition at an unfamiliar house I would definitely take a few pads with me to fine tune. I also don't have my own spinner so I can't just take mine home to replace the finish back to what it was like you can.

When using pads by hand you are just scuffing or smoothing the surface to fine tune its not the same thing as resurfacing the ball a few hits on each side will do the job and is fine on solids or pearls. Just remember you did it so you can put the surface back before returning to your normal lanes.

bowl1820
08-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I have a innovative spinner, and use it a lot to clean balls after bowling and resurfacing.

Question,,, after using my starting grit of 500, doing the 4 side technique, with the spinner,,, is it BETTER to do the remaining steps by hand?

No your more consistent on the spinner.

When you use a spinner it limits the direction of sanding while spinning to one direction.

I got to thinking that maybe doing the finishing steps by hand in small circular motions with light pressure might actually give a better finish?

You start on the spinner, you finish on the spinner.

I would still use my spinner, but only as a GUIDE as to do the circular motions to all four sides more evenly.

You'll do it more evenly on the spinner.

Do many of you take pads with you on league night to make adjustments while warming up for league?

Some do, some don't. I don't for league, if I go a tournament I'll take some.

Using a sanding pad on polished balls, during a warm up, doesn't it remove the polish?
Yes if your sanding on a polished ball, it will remove the polish.

I would think on solid balls league adjustments, ( with sanding pads) might be one thing, but doing that on a pearl polished ball might another.

You can sand any ball if you need to adjust the cover, doesn't matter if its a solid, pearl whatever.

Being able to Sand a ball, gives you the ability to essentially turn a 4 ball arsenal into a 12 or more ball arsenal.