PDA

View Full Version : open hand vs closed fist

Beagle
08-07-2014, 06:57 PM
heard/read how one of these is a way to improve ur game and roll a stronger ball. Talk about an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp. just an example of why guys get confused on whats what when working on their game. I know the standard answer is only use what works for YOUR game and apply.

fortheloveofbowling
08-07-2014, 07:05 PM
You want to have that hand relaxed and not grab it. Stay away from the kung fu grip.

Beagle
08-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Agree totally. relaxed hand, no grab. Just wanted to hear how and what each of these two concepts does for others.

zdawg
08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I have no idea what the closed fist is, it sounds like the exact opposite of how I was taught to hold/grip a bowling ball

Beagle
08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
I have no idea what the closed fist is, it sounds like the exact opposite of how I was taught to hold/grip a bowling ball
no was referring to after ur release. Make a fist after thumb clears and PDW open hand style. Complete opposites but both work

Amyers
08-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I've heard of some bowler having the palm out vs palm in after release. I've heard of some bowlers keeping their fingers bent. I've never heard of closed fist. I couldn't imagine what difference it would make because you couldn't close the fist until after the ball was release anyway. Do you have any examples?

bowl1820
08-10-2014, 06:58 PM
I believe the "closed fist" is from the old days (There's something familiar about it), when they were trying to put lift on the ball.

When releasing the ball instead of rolling the ball off the fingers, you closed your hand like making a fist as you released the ball. The fingers would hit up on the ball.

I believe also it was used to get the feeling of the thumb coming out first then fingers as a training tip. But it wasn't meant to do all the time.

I believe Brian Voss can be seen doing it here:
http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9780736042178_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

classygranny
08-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Bowl, I think you are correct. When I saw this I do remember this being a training exercise back in the early 80's when I took lessons from Brian. I hadn't thought about that in years, but I think in today's game it would cause you to tend to "grab" the ball at the bottom of your swing if you weren't careful. I tend to do that on occasion.

rv driver
08-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Wow. I'm ooooold school, and I never heard of closed fist. This is news to me.

zdawg
08-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Ah ok, seeing the picture and reading Bowl1820's explanation it makes sense now and it also makes sense why I've never heard of it.

rv driver
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
I never paid attention to what my hand looked like after the delivery... I think it's open...

Shaneshu87
08-12-2014, 05:03 PM
one thing my friend does is he always "punches" through. i assume this is what your talking about. at the time of his release he balls his fist up and punches through straight up towards the ceiling, he is not muscling the ball but he does create so high revs, me personally and kinda in the middle, remember the old school method of turning your hand into a gun with your pointer finger and thumb? thats what i do, i tuck my pink on the swing and "shoot" the floor on my down swing, as i come through to release i shoot the gutter, then follow through by shooting the ceiling, i create lower revs than my friend, i have tried the "fist" but find myself trying to muscle the ball too much

mike_thomas93
08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Sean Rash is another bowler that does that sometimes. Oh yeah, and Parker Bohn III. And I think Amleto Monacelli, as well. Just a few examples

RobLV1
08-12-2014, 06:36 PM
It's the difference between two styles of release: lift and turn, and turn and lift. Lift and turn is where the weight of the ball causes the thumb to exit, and the release turns as it comes through the ball as exemplified by Chris Barnes. Turn and lift is a little more old school where the turn begins earlier and then lifts through the release as exemplified by Sean Rash. Lift and turn ends with the fingers more extended, with turn and lift ends with more of a fist look to the hand. Both are very effective.

Beagle
08-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Marshall Holman used to make a fist also. As long as u project out, I think this helps those trying to throw a stronger ball. It seems like u go from cup to uncup to cup again. Kinda like a top slap on the ball.