PDA

View Full Version : 50's - 80's Bowling Talk

The KingPin
01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
So although some of bowling now is all about what ball you use or what sponsors you have, what about a few years back?

What about the days of big hair and corduroy pants?

What are some of your great memories of bowling past?

JAnderson
01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Ernie Schlegel's pants.

JerseyJim
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
My memories are of Earl Anthony, and his style. He never seemed to get flustered. Also Teata Semiz, who has a great name. He only won 3 titles on the pro tour, but he surpassed that in the senior tour. He's a fun guy to hang with. He ran the pro shop at my alley for a couple of years. Now he's at Carolier with his sons. He's still incredibly smooth. I think he turns 75 this year. Every once in a while his name is in the local papers for a 750+ series.

Iceman
01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Ernie Schlegel's pants.

Just his pants? What about his classic "getting dressed in the dark type" shirts. You look at him then and now - his attitude is more "smack" but he does back it up with his straight down and in shots. I watch his video to watch his form. He's pure old school.

JAnderson
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, he had some outfits that were so incredibly bad that they were good.

PBA on Saturday afternoons with Schenkel and Burton Jr. were some of my favorite times growing up.

The KingPin
01-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah, he had some outfits that were so incredibly bad that they were good.

PBA on Saturday afternoons with Schendel and Burton Jr. were some of my favorite times growing up.

I miss Saturday morning Bowling. What a great time in bowling history