PDA

View Full Version : how do you convince someone they need a better ball

coreyds012778
08-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Last January, both me and my wife both bought maxim as a step up from house balls. Since the I have moved up. Been trying to convince her she needs to move to a better ball. No luck, it has been, "I don't bowl like you" or "I don't have a real approach" or "seems like a waste of money right now".

she bowls around a 115 avg with a 175 high game. She is starting in winter league here in a month or so.

any ideas on how to talk into a better ball?

J Anderson
08-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Last January, both me and my wife both bought maxim as a step up from house balls. Since the I have moved up. Been trying to convince her she needs to move to a better ball. No luck, it has been, "I don't bowl like you" or "I don't have a real approach" or "seems like a waste of money right now".

she bowls around a 115 avg with a 175 high game. She is starting in winter league here in a month or so.

any ideas on how to talk into a better ball?

At 115 there's a lot of room for improvement before moving to a better ball. I wouldn't try to convince her that she needs another ball until after this season.

bowl1820
08-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Get her a couples of lessons first, then when see shows some improvement. She may be more inclined to want a new ball or find she doesn't need it.

or if someone had a different ball she could try and she actually bowled better with it. She might be more inclined to want a new ball then also.

Amyers
08-10-2014, 12:13 PM
It could be she is less serious about the game than you. If she is having a good time and bowling with you just enjoy it. She may come around as she progresses

Big Merl
08-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Sounds like pushing the issue is a great way to start a fight and get her to not want to bowl with you anymore. I vote drop it for now and revisit in a few months.

Blomer
08-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Buy her ball as one of her Christmas/birthday gifts!

coreyds012778
08-10-2014, 03:38 PM
see what comes around, she may want a new ball for her birthday

fortheloveofbowling
08-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Take her in the pro shop and say this ball would match your beautiful eyes perfectly.:)

coreyds012778
08-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Take her in the pro shop and say this ball would match your beautiful eyes perfectly.:)
or here favorite color

classygranny
08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Good grief...sounds like a lot of manly answers.

Be truthful. Tell her that you would love to see her continue to excel in her bowling since she's come so far, and as soon as she is ready to step her game up a notch, you'll be there to help her pick a new ball if she wants help. And then, when you're bowling, be sure and point out the carry she might get from a newer ball. For example, she leaves a 5-pin, you say: "Wow, that was an excellent ball. A newer ball (or if you have your eye on one she should like, use that name) probably would have knocked that 5 right out of there." - BUT, don't lie.

She'll either get tired of hearing it and give in, or she will start believing it, and want one. Since you don't care how, you accomplish what you set out to do.

rv driver
08-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Win the Diva here. That way, it hasn't cost anything, so she can't complain.

coreyds012778
08-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I showed her the ball. got "does it come in purple" :p

Amyers
08-10-2014, 11:38 PM
I showed her the ball. got "does it come in purple" :p

Well does it? Make sure you cover the important parts

Aslan
08-11-2014, 04:12 PM
At 115 there's a lot of room for improvement before moving to a better ball. I wouldn't try to convince her that she needs another ball until after this season.

THIS

Short Answer: You don't.

A new ball might get her another 10 pins in average. "maybe"

Teaching her more of the basics and spare shooting and that kinda stuff will get her average to increase double what a new ball will.

P.S. THIS is why I don't suggest people buy a plastic ball as their first ball. They tend to quickly outgrow it, then want something reactive. Sure, it can then be used as a spare ball...but I just don't think thats what the consumer is expecting when they buy it....that it'll last them a half a season and they'll need/want something else.

coreyds012778
08-11-2014, 04:33 PM
I think I bowled 2 months with my plastic ball the moved to a reactive. main factor was cost. but for a few dollars more could of got a low end reactive to start with. doh!!!