PDA

View Full Version : coaching

foreverincamo
08-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Anyone else out there get some honest-to-goodness coaching ?My wife and I have spent the summer being coached by PBA Gold and Silver level coaches, and it has helped tremendously. My wife has gone from from throwing the typical woman's backup ball to throwing an impressive hook with her Hammer Spike. I made her switch to a fingertip grip since she wanted to learn to hook it, and now she's doing it!
She has been keeping track and we have bowled 150 games this summer between us for her to learn her new skill. Now she starts learning how to control that hook, how to throw it across the grain and let it hook back, and finally how to shoot spares off her strike line. It's been a fun summer of bowling!

RobLV1
08-10-2014, 10:03 AM
This is the kind of post that I love to see. I wish there were ten of these for every one that talks about what new ball to get instead of the other way around.

MICHAEL
08-10-2014, 11:15 AM
This is the kind of post that I love to see. I wish there were ten of these for every one that talks about what new ball to get instead of the other way around.

Yes being a Coach, slilver level coach, I bet you do Rob!

Its like me being an X Iron Worker, and people saying, ( "You know those Union Iron Workers put up buildings that not only look magnificent, but they know there stuff, due to TRAINING they get in their Apprenticeship Program, that gives them the skills to not only put buildings, bridges, and ornamental structures up, but also how to do it safely!! I was a proud Instructor Myself!

Yes Coaching, is a lot like Training in the skilled Crafts... both go a long way!! In Iron work like your analogy above, the Right tool, is important, but knowing how to use it is KEY!!

I was a teacher in the Iron Workers Local 10 for several years!

KNOWLEDGE is POWER,,, as long as its Good Knowledge, based on sound principles, and proven techniques!

JUST like the Movie: The GOOD, The Bad, and the ugly,,,,, I am sure bowling coaches, as do skilled Crafts instructors, can fall into the categories mentioned, in that Clint Eastwood movie!

FIND A GOOD ONE!!

Blomer
08-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Tomorrow I have a session with Bill Spigner. It's not a private lesson, there will be 5 of us, keeps the cost down. But if it goes well, I will do a private lesson. I am entering just my 2nd yr bowling and practicing by bowling about 15-20 games a week. I got a Storm Optimus in July and trying to get it all figured out before fall league. Last fall I bowled with only a Bru stick Karma. This time I will have the two balls plus a spare ball, will use Karma for spares other than the 10. So I hope to get the spare ball figured out before Fall league starts as well.

Beagle
08-10-2014, 01:41 PM
agree totally. The problem ive encountered is that coaches have different philosophies. And believe me they will contradict each other. u have to find the right coach for the bowler. as far as how to use the tools properly, like the ironworker said, that's why this will b the !st time I get new equipment in over 10 yrs

RobLV1
08-10-2014, 03:46 PM
As much as the USBC Certification Program gets bad-mouthed by would be coaches, I highly recommend finding a certified coach in your area. Contrary to popular opinion, the program is not just a matter of paying your money and getting your certification. There is quite a bit of education involved, and lots of testing. Many coaches have to go through the program several times before finally passing. Going to a certified coach will not guarantee that he or she will be a good coach, but it will at least guarantee that the knowledge has been presented to them, and they have proven that they understood it. I can't tell you how much damage I've seen by well-meaning coach wanna-be's who are totally clueless about the mechanics of bowling. A certified coach won't necessarily help you (that depends on the actual coaching ability of the individual), but they won't hurt you either.

foreverincamo
08-12-2014, 10:28 PM
All I am going to say tonight is I practiced for 4 hours. All I got is tired. Tired of missing my mark, my spares, etc. Not a fun night.

rv driver
08-13-2014, 07:57 PM
All I am going to say tonight is I practiced for 4 hours. All I got is tired. Tired of missing my mark, my spares, etc. Not a fun night.
Grrrrr!!!