PDA

View Full Version : Multiple problems

xandrew245x
08-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have been bowling for close to 10 years. I bowled on a youth league for 4 years, but quit for about 4 years but now am starting up again. I have a 14 pound ebonite the one. Since starting up again, I have bowled a good many games, I quickly noticed that I wanted to muscle the ball on the down swing causing major problems with where my ball went and lost a lot of revs because of it. I have gotten better at it, but still find myself doing it. Any tips to help focus on allowing the ball weigh to just do the work?

When I bowled on league, I generally through a straight line, down the side around the 5 board and hooking in. No matter what I tried I could never get the ball to hook more than that, if I tried to throw a wider shot, the ball just wouldn't come back. I honestly think I put a decent amount of revs on it and feel it should react much better that it does. Last week the lanes were fairly dry and I was able to start at 15 board, throw out to the 5 board and it would hook back perfectly. Went to a different bowling alley, threw it the exact same and came no where near hitting the pocket. Is it a possibility my ball was drilled incorrectly, it just doesn't seem to have the hook it should.

RobLV1
08-11-2014, 06:39 PM
If it hooked in one center and not in the other, the problem is not in your ball. The lane conditions were obviously different in the two houses. All that the drilling on a bowling ball does is to change the numbers, the rg and the differential, and dictate the direction of the axis migration.

xandrew245x
08-11-2014, 09:36 PM
I think I may have figured out one problem. I have used this ball since I was roughly 17 and nothing has been touched drilling wise. I feel that my span has changed a bit, and I also have a grip in my thumb. I was trying to just roll the ball on my floor to try to get a feel for how my ball should release and I actually couldn't get my thumb out. I have a feeling maybe my thumb isn't releasing soon enough and that is why I am lacking revs on my ball.

Amyers
08-11-2014, 09:50 PM
I think I may have figured out one problem. I have used this ball since I was roughly 17 and nothing has been touched drilling wise. I feel that my span has changed a bit, and I also have a grip in my thumb. I was trying to just roll the ball on my floor to try to get a feel for how my ball should release and I actually couldn't get my thumb out. I have a feeling maybe my thumb isn't releasing soon enough and that is why I am lacking revs on my ball.

It's possible your span can change mine did when I was away from the game for a while. Talk to a knowledgable pro shop they can check it pretty quickly

xandrew245x
08-12-2014, 03:36 PM
I think I figured out another problem with my lack of revs, the more videos of watch of ball release, I see that they often start with their thumb pointing either in the 12 o clock position or 1 o clock position. When their thumb exits the ball, their thumb is pointing in about the 11 o clock position and that is when the fingers take over and create revs. When I throw my ball, my thumb almost point directly down the center of the lane, and I feel that my thumb isn't coming out soon enough. Any tips on this?

Shaneshu87
08-12-2014, 04:46 PM
as far as thumb position is concerned i've never really focused on that, when it comes to release angles i use my pointer finger and always point it straight up and down, i watched a video once that showed this i cannot remember who created the video or the training, but shoot the ceiling and shoot the floor. i watched allot of Bill O'niell and Barnes clips and they seem to do this as well, at the point of release shoot the gutter. thats all i got.