PDA

View Full Version : thumb question

foreverincamo
08-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Ok, imagine you have your hand in your ball and are ready to start your approach. As far as your thumb is concerned, where should you feel pressure? Only on the front side facing your fingers? Front side and left and right sides? Should the back of your thumb touch anything?

Beagle
08-13-2014, 10:04 PM
Assuming correct fit, the least amount of pressure u feel w/o dropping the ball. I heard/ read about grip it like an egg or baby bird so u don't break/kill it. Just with the webbing on ur thumb, back of nail touches interior wall of thumbhole, etc. Rolf of BTM had that thumb pull back thing he used to write about.

bowl1820
08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
A general rule "of thumb" for thumb fit is:

A thumb inserted in and out of a thumbhole, pressed to one side of the hole, should only barely touch the other side.

foreverincamo
08-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Bowl1820, are you saying then there's no pressure on the back of the thumb?

bowl1820
08-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Assuming correct fit, the least amount of pressure u feel w/o dropping the ball. I heard/ read about grip it like an egg or baby bird so u don't break/kill it.. The holding the "bird" is about grip pressure.

Just with the webbing on ur thumb, back of nail touches interior wall of thumbhole, etc. Rolf of BTM had that thumb pull back thing he used to write about.

What your referring to here is from the Rolf Gauger thumbproofing technique about "Setting" the thumb.

You can find a article about it in the Oct. 1998 issue of "Bowling This Month", it's also reprinted in the Jan. 2001 issue.

fortheloveofbowling
08-13-2014, 10:22 PM
It also depends on what you like to feel and your pitches. Some people like the thumb very tight like chris barnes.

bowl1820
08-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Bowl1820, are you saying then there's no pressure on the back of the thumb?

When holding the ball, you could feel the back of your thumb touching, Depending on how tight a hole you have, but you shouldn't really feel "pressure". If you feel pressure or have rubbing, You might be knuckling (bending the thumb in the hole) the ball or possibly the pitch is off some.

foreverincamo
08-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I just had a terrible night practicing the other day. Even though my thumb would easily slip in and out of the thumb hole while cradling the ball, I couldn't get my thumb out of it on my release and it was just driving me nuts. It was operator error for sure, but I wanted some input on where some tape would have helped.

MiggityMatt
08-13-2014, 11:21 PM
That sounds like you were "knuckling" it. I actually did that for awhile before I realized my thumb hole was too big. I know it sounds kinda backwards because you said you're having trouble getting out of the ball, but if your thumb is big, you will naturally squeeze so you don't drop the ball. Then you will be late getting your thumb out.

Everyone is different but I get a cleaner release with a really snug thumb, no tape.

foreverincamo
08-15-2014, 09:43 PM
I took my thumb hole and squirted some Scrubbing Bubbles down it and wiped it dry. This removed any built up gunk. Then I took 1000 grit sandpaper and worked it vertically only until the thumb hole was completely smooth. My release tonight was much better.

Baller
08-16-2014, 02:36 AM
I'm a new bowler, but when I bought my ball, the guy at the pro shop gave me a few quick lessons/tips. He told me that the nail of the thumb should be up against the "wall" of the thumb hole. It makes sense, as it just slides against your nail on the way out. If you put the pad of the thumb up against the ball, it may have too much grip and not come out on release, which is what you were describing. I hope this helps some.

foreverincamo
08-16-2014, 08:54 PM
I worked with my coach today, Fred Borden. I didn't even tell him about my thumb issues I've been having. I just asked him to watch me throw a shot and analyze it. So he did, and he pointed out that my posture was bad. Instead of keeping my upper body upright I was bending at the waist and raising up as I was releasing. This was causing me to release the ball way too early OR way too late. This gave me my thumb issues.
As soon as I became more upright and bent more at the knees, my release window tightened up and I got out of the ball cleaner. I strung 6 straight strikes after that adjustment and got out of the ball cleanly every shot. Thanks coach!

fortheloveofbowling
08-17-2014, 02:45 AM
That is one heck of a coach you have there! Fred borden is an all time great in the coaching world.