PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting article -

Iceman
01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
I took this from one of the RSS Feeds from a bowing site, it's so true and shows where the USBC went wrong in my opinion - but sports shots could make it go in the right direction again - This could even get bowling back in the Sunday newspapers. Maybe we could bring back the butterfly collars and bell bottoms - it will be just like when my dad bowled. Skill and fashion (or lack of) :D

But the biggest change is an eased route to higher scores. Bowling balls with sophisticated surfaces and lanes oiled in specific patterns have joined to produce better results than could reasonably be expected even from lots of practice.
During the 1979-80 season, before the current influx of technology, 5,373 "300 games" -- the mark of perfection, achieved by rolling 12 strikes in a row -- were recorded. This past season, 2007-08, there were 52,229 perfect games, according to the USBC. This huge increase came despite the fact that there were only 2.4 million registered bowlers in 2007-08, half the 1979-80 total. Nothing influences the escalation in strikes more than oil, originally used to protect lanes but now important for the manner in which it is spread by calibrated machines.
"Proprietors program the machines to spread more oil in the center of the lane than the sides," according to USBC Vice President Neil Stremmel. "If you miss a little right from your perfect strike shot, there is less oil out there and more friction, so the ball hooks a little more and gets more on target." New balls have a more porous surface, which increases how well they respond to the oil, he explained.
Oil patterns are more tightly controlled for pros; the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) says it requires that patterns do not inflate scores. Concern that technology was endangering the integrity of the game for serious but not professional bowlers led, in the 2001-02 season, to the introduction of "sport bowling," where rules for spreading oil are strict. Sport bowling's 31,852 members bowled 132 perfect games this past season.

The KingPin
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I took this from one of the RSS Feeds from a bowing site, it's so true and shows where the USBC went wrong in my opinion - but sports shots could make it go in the right direction again - This could even get bowling back in the Sunday newspapers. Maybe we could bring back the butterfly collars and bell bottoms - it will be just like when my dad bowled. Skill and fashion (or lack of) :D

But the biggest change is an eased route to higher scores. Bowling balls with sophisticated surfaces and lanes oiled in specific patterns have joined to produce better results than could reasonably be expected even from lots of practice.
During the 1979-80 season, before the current influx of technology, 5,373 "300 games" -- the mark of perfection, achieved by rolling 12 strikes in a row -- were recorded. This past season, 2007-08, there were 52,229 perfect games, according to the USBC. This huge increase came despite the fact that there were only 2.4 million registered bowlers in 2007-08, half the 1979-80 total. Nothing influences the escalation in strikes more than oil, originally used to protect lanes but now important for the manner in which it is spread by calibrated machines.
"Proprietors program the machines to spread more oil in the center of the lane than the sides," according to USBC Vice President Neil Stremmel. "If you miss a little right from your perfect strike shot, there is less oil out there and more friction, so the ball hooks a little more and gets more on target." New balls have a more porous surface, which increases how well they respond to the oil, he explained.
Oil patterns are more tightly controlled for pros; the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) says it requires that patterns do not inflate scores. Concern that technology was endangering the integrity of the game for serious but not professional bowlers led, in the 2001-02 season, to the introduction of "sport bowling," where rules for spreading oil are strict. Sport bowling's 31,852 members bowled 132 perfect games this past season.

Great write up. I think we all need to look at this article.Think the amount of perfect games are amazing. But do we want to make it harder or easier? Say you a hunter and you bag a 8 by 8 elk, would you hunt anymore? Just like if you were to bowl a 300 your first week bowling, would you still have a drive to bowl?

Iceman
01-22-2009, 03:12 AM
I think it would, I have had a 300 - not sanctioned (was in mixed couples back in 89, and 2 299's that year - same league). I remember it well and since then, have came close atleast 50 times, but fall short. I see so many 300's shot, ending series in 600's. I even saw 1 300 with a 580 series. This lefty couldn't hit the left side the first 2 games, then couldn't miss 3rd game, did get a few through the nose carries.

I strive for perfection games every time I go out - not just a 300 - I go after the all pocket carries, not through the nose or cross overs (I can't remember the last time I crossed over the head pin), when I throw a bad shot like that and carry, I talk to myself the same way I miss a spare. My goal every night is to throw pocket shots and pick my spares. That will usually get me 650 or better.

When someone else is stringing them on cross overs - while i'm wiping the oil off the ball on my next shot, I say to myself (outloud) "I wish I could throw a ball bad enough to cross over" sometimes they hear me and others don't - but it's the point I'm trying to make.

"one game doesn't make you good or bad, one night doesn't make you good or bad - it's what you do all year the defines you."

When the skill is back in this game - people will realize how difficult a 600 could be. The game will be like it was in the early years...

The KingPin
01-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I think it would, I have had a 300 - not sanctioned (was in mixed couples back in 89, and 2 299's that year - same league). I remember it well and since then, have came close atleast 50 times, but fall short. I see so many 300's shot, ending series in 600's. I even saw 1 300 with a 580 series. This lefty couldn't hit the left side the first 2 games, then couldn't miss 3rd game, did get a few through the nose carries.

I strive for perfection games every time I go out - not just a 300 - I go after the all pocket carries, not through the nose or cross overs (I can't remember the last time I crossed over the head pin), when I throw a bad shot like that and carry, I talk to myself the same way I miss a spare. My goal every night is to throw pocket shots and pick my spares. That will usually get me 650 or better.

When someone else is stringing them on cross overs - while i'm wiping the oil off the ball on my next shot, I say to myself (outloud) "I wish I could throw a ball bad enough to cross over" sometimes they hear me and others don't - but it's the point I'm trying to make.

"one game doesn't make you good or bad, one night doesn't make you good or bad - it's what you do all year the defines you."

When the skill is back in this game - people will realize how difficult a 600 could be. The game will be like it was in the early years...

I agree with you 100%. Great info