PDA

View Full Version : an idea for teaching my speed demon of a friend accuracy

coreyds012778
08-20-2014, 07:06 PM
during summer league, and old fellow came up to me and asked me where I was aiming. I said at the pins. suggested i work on aiming either the dots at the end of the approach (other the other side of the foul line) or the arrows. that next wed, we went bowling at another house, I was lofting the ball and trying to hit the tip of the second arrow. (only time I really loft is when my thumb sticks). that thursday I bowled my best game and started my uphill climb in my avg. normal release.

I am wondering if I teach my friend not to aim and hit the tip of the arrows that would work for him, his loft is about at his knees.

Amyers
08-20-2014, 07:24 PM
during summer league, and old fellow came up to me and asked me where I was aiming. I said at the pins. suggested i work on aiming either the dots at the end of the approach (other the other side of the foul line) or the arrows. that next wed, we went bowling at another house, I was lofting the ball and trying to hit the tip of the second arrow. (only time I really loft is when my thumb sticks). that thursday I bowled my best game and started my uphill climb in my avg. normal release.

I am wondering if I teach my friend not to aim and hit the tip of the arrows that would work for him, his loft is about at his knees.

Corey your supposed to aim with the arrows not dive bomb them from above

coreyds012778
08-20-2014, 07:38 PM
I don't, I did that for one night only, I don't like the sound of my ball hitting the lane. don't bowl well at that house. it was what the heck moment.

thinking since my friend lofts anyway.

may just be a bad idea any way.

bowl1820
08-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Yeah you roll the ball over the arrow. Your not shooting baskets.

Aslan
08-21-2014, 01:59 PM
There are 2 accuracy drills that I would recommend.

1) You can create a little thing out of PVC pipe that has a couple pieces of dloth/cardboard hanging down from it big enough for a ball to easily fit between. The contraption actually sits in the gutters so not to mess up the lane surface in any way. And then you simply try to roll the ball through the opening. And it can be moved back or forth depending on how difficult you want to make it.

2) The accuracy drill I used with a speed dominant teammate recently is; you each pick a "dot" to roll the ball over. The other person judges how many boards (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 2, 3...etc,...) that you "missed" by and records it. Hitting the spot exactly is a "0" score. If you also strike, you get the bonus of not having to roll twice, but other than that...how many pins you knock over is inconsequential. The only rule is the ball must be layed down BEFORE the target dot...otherwise it's a -3pt penalty per time. After 5-10 frames...you move the target out a little...same board, but the new rule is you MUST release the ball so it goes OVER the dot before making contact with the lane surface. Same scoring system applies. If you lay it down BEFORE the dots (or loft it past the arrows), a -3pt deduction per instance. Again, pinfall doesnt really matter.

Not only will these drills force the bowler to concentrate more on hitting a spot consistently, but for speed dominant bowlers it will likely make them slow things down a little.

Aslan
08-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Would this be considered "dive-bombing from above"??

http://youtu.be/V5WKEtiqe9k?list=UUN0ng9f5ROzBowkYgXeuLfA

Amyers
08-21-2014, 02:15 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking about.

coreyds012778
08-21-2014, 03:04 PM
that is about where my friend height of loft is at. if he is able to come tonight, I will try to give him some more tips see if I can get him to cool down some with it. get him to change his aiming. guess changing where I aimed was easy for me.

coreyds012778
08-21-2014, 10:26 PM
have no idea what was up with my friend tonight. very little loft, at times none, ball speed at an avg 18mph, all four games 140 or better (normally about a 105 bowler). when he roll the ball with no loft he put the ball in the pocket. I did not give any pointers.

Amyers
08-21-2014, 10:50 PM
have no idea what was up with my friend tonight. very little loft, at times none, ball speed at an avg 18mph, all four games 140 or better (normally about a 105 bowler). when he roll the ball with no loft he put the ball in the pocket. I did not give any pointers.

Sometimes you can learn just from watching others

classygranny
08-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Maybe he's stalking the forum and learned something to try.

coreyds012778
08-21-2014, 10:59 PM
watching videos reading up on things.

god knows how many videos I watched and how many times I came to this forum before joining.

coreyds012778
08-21-2014, 11:55 PM
Sometimes you can learn just from watching others

maybe, he watches me a lot.

Aslan
08-22-2014, 02:48 AM
Maybe he's stalking the forum and learned something to try.

Maybe he found my youtube page. And wants to be like me.

coreyds012778
08-23-2014, 12:41 AM
he said he was really tired that night.

ugh, just remembered he was over tonight and i have a 16lb hammer blue i want him to look at. the