PDA

View Full Version : RotoGrip Sinister Review

StoRoto2013
08-21-2014, 09:02 AM
The Roto Grip Sinister is a great addition to the HP4 lineup! The Hybrid cover and the new Cage Core provides a distinct bowling ball reaction. The colors (Neon Yellow & White Pearl with Navy Solid) livens up the shelf while the Sinister’s ball motion will open up the lane and provide devastating motion through the pins! The layout that I used for the Sinister is from the Storm VLS System which is Pin to PAP 3 ½, PSA to PAP 6 ¼ and Pin Buffer is 2 ½ or roughly for the dual angle people 70 X 3 ½ X approx. 45. It is a strong pin layout with pin right of the Ring Finger and the Mass is below my Thumb and the weight hole is on my P3. My coordinates are: PAP 5 5/8 over and ¾ up, around 300 rev rate, Ball speed around 15mph, more up the ball release and I am right handed.

I compared the Sinister to the Hyper Cell and the Totally Defiant on various patterns. What I noticed is simple the Sinister is cleaner through the front part of the lane than a Hyper Cell with more backend motion. The Totally Defiant is cleaner than the Sinister and backend motion is very similar. The Sinister’s ball motion is very similar to the Defiant Soul but STRONGER throughout the lane. The Sinister is a strong ball that is versatile. The Hyper Cell has a distinct ball motion that can be tweaked…. But the tendency is to start up early and have a very smooth backend motion. The Sinister also has a distinct ball motion but because of the Hybrid cover and Cage core it stores more energy and has a strong backend motion. For the weaker players moving left with a Hyper Cell and going “around the pattern” was not really an option but with the Sinister it is a very good option! I was able to use the Sinister on a house pattern and continued moving left and Sinister was still motoring through the pin deck! The other ball that I was comparing to the Sinister was the Totally Defiant. The Totally Defiant is cleaner and a tad more responsive at the break point when there is a defined dry area to throw to. The Sinister starts up a little sooner and is stronger in the mid lane than the Totally Defiant. When the House pattern starts to break down and the Sinister is forcing you out of your comfort zone than switch to the Totally Defiant. The Sinister and Totally Defiant are a good one two punch on the medium house patterns and Sport patterns. The Sinister is a perfect blend of strength and finesse!!!!

Dan Schaden Jr
Storm/ RotoGrip Staff
Vise Grip Staff