1. 1st sanctioned 300
2. 1st sanctioned 800
3. average 200+
4. 90% spare
5. 60% strike
6. no games under 150
7. no open frames

last night i held true to 4 and 6.

we started out on a fresh shot that had sat out over night and all day (these are wood lanes) so the oil had plenty of time to evaporate. before the first game ended i found my self switching to my black widow pearl (used for dryer lanes) and struggling to stay on the right side of the head pin. fortunately i managed to convert every spare and finished game 1 clean and end with a 150. game two i decided not to fight the conditions Brooklyn's carry so i played them and strung the front 5 with Brook's lol the other team loved that! unfortunately and open in the 5th and 8th slowed me down but finished with a 212. game three not much different stayed clean actually found some oil on the out side edge, just enough to push my pearl to the 2 board and finish on the right side of the pocket, although this angle left me many ring 10's i was clean and finished with 179. all in all i finished with a 180 average, not quite my goal but a solid place to work from.

now like i said this is a wood house and the owner just got a new/used Phoenix 8 pad stripper/buffer. this was his first attempt to oil the lanes with this machine, and he did digress saying he needs to "extend the pattern out 2 feet and use a few more units" i look forward to next week. his old machine was very consistent and i have thrown a 300 non-sanctioned in this house in the past, so i know i can do this.

manke
08-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Why didn't he oil right before your league? Not bad for the first night now just make that your low series for the year and have fun!!!

Shaneshu87
08-23-2014, 12:12 AM
he was afraid that the oiler would break down and stick us with sand paper lanes lol he has more trust in it now had a great shot tonight during practice shot an 765 series

classygranny
08-23-2014, 10:29 PM
so i set my goals pretty high for my fall league

1. 1st sanctioned 300
2. 1st sanctioned 800
3. average 200+
4. 90% spare
5. 60% strike
6. no games under 150
7. no open frames

I know I tend to set my goals high too, but I had to laugh when I saw this. Do you realize how funny this is...no game under 150 with no opens. I'm not really sure I want to bowl that game!

Amyers
08-23-2014, 10:40 PM
I know I tend to set my goals high too, but I had to laugh when I saw this. Do you realize how funny this is...no game under 150 with no opens. I'm not really sure I want to bowl that game!

I'm not sure that setting a goal of no open frames is going to help everybody gets a split now and then.

got_a_300
08-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Amyers said it all when he said
everybody gets a split now and then.
even the best PRO's on tour can not avoid the occasional open frame
from a split or a wiffed single pin.

Shaneshu87
08-25-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure that setting a goal of no open frames is going to help everybody gets a split now and then.

what is the purpose of a goal? to set the bar low because you know the outcome is unlikely? screw that! set the bar where ever you want it! one of my all time favorite quotes "shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll still be among the stars." so if i shoot for a goal of "No open frames" (which is in the realm of reality, although very unlikely) it is essentially a just a goal, an imaginary line i do not wish to cross. however if i strive for that level of play then think how my game will improve, who cares if i have an open frame here and there, but the fewer the better. and one more quote i love "Never talk down on another man's goals if they are higher than yours"

Amyers
08-25-2014, 10:03 AM
what is the purpose of a goal? to set the bar low because you know the outcome is unlikely? screw that! set the bar where ever you want it! one of my all time favorite quotes "shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll still be among the stars." so if i shoot for a goal of "No open frames" (which is in the realm of reality, although very unlikely) it is essentially a just a goal, an imaginary line i do not wish to cross. however if i strive for that level of play then think how my game will improve, who cares if i have an open frame here and there, but the fewer the better. and one more quote i love "Never talk down on another man's goals if they are higher than yours"

Shaneshu87 I wasn't running your goal down. If you feel that is even in the realm of remote possibility then go for it. For myself that goal wouldn't make it through the first series. I'm going to leave a split that is very difficult to near impossible or I'm going to whif a spare. I just believe goals should be set up as achievable if we perform our very best if you think that is within your highest abilities than more power too you.

Shaneshu87
08-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Shaneshu87 I wasn't running your goal down. If you feel that is even in the realm of remote possibility then go for it. For myself that goal wouldn't make it through the first series. I'm going to leave a split that is very difficult to near impossible or I'm going to whif a spare. I just believe goals should be set up as achievable if we perform our very best if you think that is within your highest abilities than more power too you.

my goal for the summer was one open frame per game minimum, i was able to achieve that, and in order for growth and progress you can never sit still, therefore i must move forward, no open frames is the only thing left for this goal, i aim to average over 200 and that will require clean and consistent games. maybe i could change it to one open per series, but i like not opens at all ;)

classygranny
08-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Shaneshu87, I wasn't making fun of your goals, either. I just found a little humor in the fact that - you have set mostly high reaching goals (which I commend you on), that you would be happy to have a goal of bowling a 150 game with no opens. But, I guess that's my sense of humor - not others. I myself would much rather bowl a 170 with 2 opens than a clean game of 150. Just saying.

Shaneshu87
08-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Shaneshu87, I wasn't making fun of your goals, either. I just found a little humor in the fact that - you have set mostly high reaching goals (which I commend you on), that you would be happy to have a goal of bowling a 150 game with no opens. But, I guess that's my sense of humor - not others. I myself would much rather bowl a 170 with 2 opens than a clean game of 150. Just saying.

well i can understand your reasoning but if i can stay clean then 150 should have an absolute zero chance of happening, and i honestly don't know why i picked 150 for that bar just the first number that popped in my head when i set these goals, my lowest game in practice this summer was (according to my stike out stats) a 169 trying to throw 2 handed, and that game was far from clean lol. there is no reason, provided i can stay un injured and healthy, that i cannot maintain these goals through the fall league.

got_a_300
08-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Shaneshu87 I can understand you wanting to set high
goals for yourself I also like to set some lofty goals for
myself sometimes. I too like the old saying shoot for the
moon I always like to say to myself go big or go home.

Just don't get disappointed if you don't reach all of your
goals but if you can just reach one of them then you'll
have accomplished something worth remembering.

Shaneshu87
08-27-2014, 10:12 AM
no doubt thats why it's a goal, goals are meant to be flexible not granite.

Shaneshu87
08-28-2014, 11:48 PM
well tonight was better than last week, i started out with my black widow legend, but my thumb had already swollen by the 3rd frame and i was too stubborn to ball down to my BW pearl. i eneded up shooting a 155 with 3 opens. after that i made the decision to ball down (BW pearl has larger thumb hole to account for swelling) and i shot lights out cleaning up the front 5 with a 4-10 split conversion in the 6th, finished clean with 236, game three much of the same only one open in the first frame with another 4-10, tried to convert and whiffed the 6 completely. after that stayed clean for a 222. all in all very happy with the change i made. after i finished i opend up the thumb on my legend a little more and she felt good. all in all my team lost our first match by 43, won our second by 55, and won our third by 4! love those games! took total pin count as well we are 6-2 for the season thus far, and in first place for now. ring finger still causing problems, made a slight change in my release, sacrificed some revs, but was more consistent with less pain. hurts like a mother right now though! 203 avg on the night happy happy happy

MiggityMatt
08-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Nice way to bounce back from a difficult start. Well done.

Shaneshu87
09-05-2014, 12:28 PM
well last night was officially the worst night of the year lol so far, and it was only week 3! started out with the first 3 strikes in game one, i was feeling great, then the awesome happened... i stepped in something, unknowingly, and i stuck (surprise), and i bounced the ball off the approach with my hand still in the ball. if you have seen some of my previous posts about my ring finger then you will know that this action but the dam in my river of unstoppable sweetness... :( after that the rest of the night i couldn't get what ever i had stepped on off my shoe, so i continued to stick all night, and to top it off my finger was on fire and i was ready to cut the damn thing off. game one 183, game two 167, game three 174 = 524 series dropping my average from 193 to 186... ouch! on the bright side the proshop finally got my custom index finger drilled in my deadly aim, and after league was over i threw a few practice games, no pain what so ever :) and i got the revs i lost from my sore finger back! thank god this worked i did not want to go sarge easter, a little more practice before i convert all my equipment to this index finger layout

Amyers
09-05-2014, 12:35 PM
nothing worse than sticking or over sliding on the approach I'm toast the rest of the night when that happens. Its always in the back of your head will it happen again

Shaneshu87
09-12-2014, 08:59 AM
well last night went well... NOT! started strong, felt good shot 190. second game i struggled from the first frame to the 10th couldn't pick up any right side spares. shot 163 and followed that up with a 157... :( all in all not very happy with the way i've been shooting. now this was the first week with the Sarge Easter grip and i have not had much practice with it yet, and i'm still waiting on the rest of my equipment to be converted. that being said, the only ball i had at my disposal was my grape vibe, and i was unable to convert my right side spares with it, either i whiffed it, ditched it, or chopped it. my goal is to have 0 open frames per game well i missed that target by 11 last night... only shooting a 170 avg for the night leaving me with a league avg of 182.08 with a goal of 200, there is a tournament coming up in oct with a 180 avg minimum to enter, if this keeps up looks like i'll have to sit this one out :( time to practice practice practice and plug the rest of my equipment.

Amyers
09-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Give yourself some time to adjust to the new drilling. It wont happen overnight and get the spare ball converted if you use one.

Shaneshu87
09-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Give yourself some time to adjust to the new drilling. It wont happen overnight and get the spare ball converted if you use one.

my spare ball is in the conversion process.

Shaneshu87
09-19-2014, 08:44 AM
last night was by far the best night i have had in a very long time! i figured out why i was pulling and fixed it, still rolling just my grape vibe with no spare ball (all my main equipment is in the conversion process... still) first game i shot lights out 232 managed to only leave left side pins and covered. 2nd game xxx(6-2)xxxxxx80 = 251 i purposely left that 8 in the 11th because i wasn't about to strike out leaving what could have been a 300 with out that brick church in the 4th lol game three i set the cruise control and coasted in with a 190. all in all shot 673 for a 224.33 avg. i keep telling my self 27 more pins and i couldve had a 700, but i just had to get lazy in the 3rd lol live and learn! next week HAMMER DOWN!

Amyers
09-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Congrats man that is some fine bowling.

Shaneshu87
09-19-2014, 08:58 AM
oh and our team took all four points placing us back in first! which we intend to keep, one thing i noticed is that i seem to have a big impact on the teams moral, if i'm in a crappy mood they are too and no matter how bad their bowling if i'm in a great mood like i was last night, then they are too.

bubba809
09-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Great bowling! Don't give up on that 200 avg. The season's still very young and you are settled in with your ball now. I will now be switching from my Optimus (which I rolled 3 weeks of sub par bowling) to the Jet Black Taboo. I've been so exited to get back to this ball as I had the balance hole moved and made a dramatic difference for my style. I just wanted to give the Optimus a fair try since I recently spent the $$ on it. As you say...There's nothing like the Gas Mask!!

Keep up the great bowling!

Shaneshu87
09-19-2014, 11:03 AM
thanks my man! and i hear ya my widows are still in the conversion process to the sarge easter should be finished saturday, i shot these numbers with my grape vibe so i CANT wait to throw my widows legend, pearl, and assassin! oh and my taboo spare lol getting that converted as well lol and i'm very interested to see what hammer's release on the 23rd will be. i'm surprised they haven't dropped anymore info than they already have i'm sure a new video is coming soon

bubba809
09-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Haven't heard anything on their new ball but good luck with the conversions. I'll let you know how the Taboo faired for me next week.

bubba809
09-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Hey Shane--Did you find out what the new release was yet??

Amyers
09-23-2014, 02:08 PM

The new release is the Bad ***

Factory Page

http://www.hammerbowling.com/products/balls/bad-***

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TzooI5tlSs&list=UU8rXuufydJNClQZhy8o8NNw

Shaneshu87
09-23-2014, 09:06 PM

yes and i posted a video about it today, sorry i just saw this, but just to let you know they are having a give away on their facebook page, you have to enter the event (free) and post a guess for Adam Barta's 3 game series this thursday

Shaneshu87
09-23-2014, 09:09 PM
got my widows converted to the Sarge and i must say they're just as awesome as before! it amazes me how going from 350 revs to 225ish and my ball can still hook as much as before. don't get me wrong i'm definitely not playing the 4th arrow any more but if i want to i can. now i seem to have a pretty solid line from 20 to 10 and back again :D

Shaneshu87
09-26-2014, 09:48 PM
couldn't be happier about last night, got to bring my widows into the league, FINALLY! i started with my Black Widow Legend game one playing up the ten, seemed like everyone was playing that line by the 7th frame line was basically shot finished with 207. made the switch to my black widow pearl knowing i could play a line with it no one else was, shooting 15 - 10 and BOOM! line was money game two 245, only made a 1-1 adjustment for game 3 finished with 212 totaling 664 avg of 221.33 bringing my season avg back up to 195! not bad after dropping to 182 3 weeks ago! owning this Sarge Easter drill like it's my job!
stats for the night:
first roll pin count average - 9.13
strike % 57.6
spare % 76.9
single pin spare % 83.3
multi pin spare % 71.4
splits 1 didn't spare
open frames 2
most common pin left standing 4 pin showing up in 8 of 13 non strike frames!
seemed to leave that 4 pin quite often out of those 8 time 4 of them were 4pin singles all converted

all in all our Bring'n Thunder Thursday night team took a huge jump on the lead, taking all 4 points, giving us a 6 game lead on 2nd!
plans for next week: adjust the surface of my legend to allow a line more inside, adjust to 2000 dull should do it.

bubba809
09-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Great bowling! So glad to hear someone still using the old Widow Pearl (and crushing it) as this was one of my favorites. This week, I make the change from my Optimus to my Jet Black Taboo. So excited to go back to this ball as it has been adjusted and can't wait to finally use it!!

Shaneshu87
09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
nice! i adjusted the cover on my Legend to 500 grit polished... yeah this ball can turn hahaha i don't think i'll leave it there but it was fun to shoot with and surprisingly smooth off the point, i'll probably take it to 1000 grit polished. but yes i love my pearl i have had it since 2007 and it has never stopped turning for me! i hear so many people tell me that balls wear out o fast which is why the HAVE to buy new balls every year lol i laugh when i crush their high scores with new equipment with my 7 year old ball on it's second drill... just gives me something to smile about!

Shaneshu87
10-03-2014, 03:15 PM
absolutely dismal night, right off the bat i stepped in beer, some butt hole left for someone else to clean up... another reason i hate drinking during league play (but thats a topic for another day). opened up the night with a very sore knee after sticking pretty bad, 128 first game... this is the lowest game i have thrown in the last 6 years. second game 160 little better but still 35 shy of my average, 3rd game just got pissed off and threw my spare ball as hard as i could off the corner and finished with a 171... not my best night and my worst set in a very long time... allot of my issue was in my wrist, i was struggling to keep it straight, while adjusting to a nonexistent slide, threw off my whole game.

bubba809
10-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Hey- It happens to all of us man. I rolled the Taboo last week and shot 194-211-127. How does that happen??

Inconsiderate people spilling beer in league is the worst. Had a few sloppy drunks that did that but eventually got kicked out. You will come back strong next week.

Shaneshu87
10-10-2014, 02:52 PM
last night was much better! made a surface change on my legend to 3000 dull and it played very well, i am planning on changing the surface even more to at least 4000 dull. but i shot 214, 204, 203 for a 621 series and a 207 average for the night. a few missed single pins due to my spare ball hooking up a little too early, i need to adjust that as well and polish the crap out of it lol lost 3 points to the second place team and we traded places putting us in second and them in first but we're only down 1 point. we only had 3 bowlers last night and still managed to break 1000 pins in a game with two blinds! i was impressed with my team and i know we have what it takes to take our crown back and hold it for the season

Shaneshu87
11-14-2014, 08:31 AM
been a while since i posted here, life gets busy sometimes. any who. i have several ups and a few downs but over all my average is still climbing, 195 now, this is after taking that huge cut from down to 182, last week i had a stellar 530 series, after some "back to the basics" practice i came in last night and threw down a 691 rolling a 269 in my first game. front 8, ring 10/, x brick church 1. i would say my nerves got the best of me, my grandfather was there to watch me, he is the only reason i got started in bowling all those years ago in YABA, to bowl a 300 in front of him would be amazing (plus he said he'd buy the ring). still moving forward, i have the 2nd highest average in the house, highest series in the league, and 2nd highest game of the season, my team however, has dropped back to 5th place down 14 games from 1st :( dealt with allot of absences in the last 5 weeks, hard to beat a 5 man team with only 3 bowlers. #HammerNation #BringnThunder

bubba809
11-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Good to here from you. You're bowling great! Glad you could throw that 269 in front of your Grandfather. Some of my best bowling memories was bowling with my Grandfather growing up. We would go all night bowling and he was 89. We were in the league together up until he was 92.

That meant more to him than you throwing that game, trust me.

What adjustment did you finally do to your ball that you are currently throwing?

HAMMER ON!

Shaneshu87
11-14-2014, 09:35 AM
haha yes i did make an adjustment to my badass, i hand scuffed the surface with a 500 and then 1000 grit abralon pad. now this is exactly what the OOB surface is, i just left out the polish, this gave the ball a much more controllable, while aggressive hook. i also changed my Legend's surface 500/1000/2000 polished, and she is the perfect 3rd game compliment.

bubba809
11-14-2014, 10:32 AM
haha yes i did make an adjustment to my badass, i hand scuffed the surface with a 500 and then 1000 grit abralon pad. now this is exactly what the OOB surface is, i just left out the polish, this gave the ball a much more controllable, while aggressive hook. i also changed my Legend's surface 500/1000/2000 polished, and she is the perfect 3rd game compliment.

I thought the badass was 500/2000 OOB?? I'm always afraid to go with out polish. I need that little extra skid before my ball grabs hard.

Shaneshu87
11-16-2014, 11:47 PM
I thought the badass was 500/2000 OOB?? I'm always afraid to go with out polish. I need that little extra skid before my ball grabs hard.

you are correct! lol it's been a long day, not sure why i thought the oob was 1000 lol brain fart i guess, either way it's 1000 now hahahaha! i'm not to worried about skid i do not have the revs to need it to much i'm barely over 300rpm. for me this 1000 grit dull change has just made the ball that much more badass, this ball still has the room to miss right and not over react, or miss left and still come back. our lane proprietor has changed the oil he uses and i need a dull surface so that i actually loose energy, he uses crossfire for wood lanes, when crossfire thins out it actually becomes sticky, we all have a great shot in game one but by game two spare balls are over reacting lol so with this dull surface i get an earlier roll in the mid lane so there is less energy for the down lane to over react