PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons to joining the USBC?

Monte
09-08-2014, 04:05 PM
I don't know if I actually bowl often enough to actually benefit from it in any real way, but what are the pros and cons to joining the USBC? I've been considering doing that.

I mainly "sport" bowl. I don't really see myself doing it in a league setting, though. I usually try to bowl once or twice a month. It's not much, but I enjoy doing it.

So I'm wondering if this is something I should even consider doing. Though it would be nice to join the USBC, in case I bowled a 300 it would be "official". I think my local bowling center is an official USBC center, but I'll have to double check...

bowl1820
09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
If all you do is open bowl or bowl in unsanctioned leagues or tournaments, there would be no point in joining.

Just Having card and shooting a 300 game in a "official USBC center" doesn't make it "official", meaning a sanctioned 300 game.

You would have to do it in a sanctioned league or tournament and to bowl in them you have to join the USBC.

Monte
09-08-2014, 04:29 PM
If all you do is open bowl or bowl in unsanctioned leagues or tournaments, there would be no point in joining.

Just Having card and shooting a 300 game in a "official USBC center" doesn't make it "official", meaning a sanctioned 300 game.

You would have to do it in a sanctioned league or tournament and to bowl in them you have to join the USBC.

Ah, ok. I didn't really know how it worked. All I do is open bowl, usually with my family. Though if I were to bowl a 300, nothing would really keep me from commemorating the event. Actually, I hope that when it happens, I have it on video.

bowl1820
09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Ah, ok. I didn't really know how it worked. All I do is open bowl, usually with my family. Though if I were to bowl a 300, nothing would really keep me from commemorating the event. Actually, I hope that when it happens, I have it on video.

Sure if you shoot one, go up to the desk and get a printout of the game and frame it up!

Monte
09-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Sure if you shoot one, go up to the desk and get a printout of the game and frame it up!

Last time I checked, the bowling center I go to doesn't print out games. I don't know why.

Aslan
09-08-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't know if I actually bowl often enough to actually benefit from it in any real way, but what are the pros and cons to joining the USBC? I've been considering doing that.
Pros: Everything. Cons: none

I mainly "sport" bowl. I don't really see myself doing it in a league setting, though. I usually try to bowl once or twice a month. It's not much, but I enjoy doing it.
Actually you "open" or "Cosmic" bowl. "Sport" bowling is the term for bowling in sanctioned leagues/tournaments, etc...

So I'm wondering if this is something I should even consider doing. Though it would be nice to join the USBC, in case I bowled a 300 it would be "official". I think my local bowling center is an official USBC center, but I'll have to double check...
It doesn't work like that. As Bowl1820 explained, being a USBC member goes along with bowling in a USBC sanctioned league/tournament…and only in those settings will an honor score (300, 800, etc…) be official and potentially rewarded.

But no, if you're not going to bowl "for real" in a sanctioned league and do sanctioned tournaments…a USBC membership has no real value to you. It's never a "negative/con"…just not a positive/pro in your situation.