PDA

View Full Version : Getting more hand

MICHAEL
09-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I have been experimenting with getting more hand in the ball. What a difference it makes. Instead of gripping the ball between the thumb, and fingers, loosely, I decided to let the BALL REST comfortably in the palm of my hand, with a VERY relaxed grip.

Wow,,, with more hand in the ball first off I notice that the REV's went up a bunch. Put a much different look on the ball going down the lane.
Had a 245 after bowling league Monday getting more hand in the ball. I am wondering maybe there might be times when I would not want to have as much ball reaction, and the old grip might be the best choice.

MY QUESTION is this:

1. Do many of you go back and forth from putting hand in the ball vs not? Or have I been throwing the ball wrong in my short time bowling.
It FOR SURE has a new feeling as to how the ball exits my hand when I focus on resting it in the palm of my hand, vs holding the ball between
my thumb and fingers. MORE REv's, and Power seem to run Hand and Hand with this new method for Iceman! (and at this point maybe too much), or could it be that I need to learn how to harness its awesome power!

Best way I can describe how the ball feels with more hand is its like palming a basketball, vs gripping a basketball.

MORE hand LESS hand, do most pros have the ability to control the amount of hand put on a ball?

Shaneshu87
09-10-2014, 10:47 AM
1. yes when my finger knuckle was healthy i could go back and forth between the amount of hand i could put into a ball, for me though i have two methods of follow through, i punch up with a closed fist which tend to generate more revs, or i follow through slowly with an open hand which reduces my revs. this helps a bowler if he/she only have 1 ball, but if you have multiple balls and can "ball down" instead of change then that is what i prefer, that way your release is always consistent.

zdawg
09-10-2014, 11:32 AM
I have been experimenting with getting more hand in the ball. What a difference it makes. Instead of gripping the ball between the thumb, and fingers, loosely, I decided to let the BALL REST comfortably in the palm of my hand, with a VERY relaxed grip.

Here's my dilemma with this, I can't have the ball rest comfortably in the palm of my hand, because the location of the thumbhole makes that impossible - don't have a picture, but my thumbhole is positioned in such a way that my palm kinda squishes up a bit when my fingers are in it. Basically if you look at your right palm with the palm facing you and thumb outstretched then your palm is flat. But as you bring your thumb closer and closer to your middle and ring fingers the palm kinda scrunches up - I assumed every ball is drilled this way to various degrees, hence making it impossible to lie a ball flat on your palm.

Ice, I know you're an advocate of the tri-grip, is this what the tri-grip and other nonconventional drilling techniques entail, or maybe I just need to update my drilling as my style is 1000% different than it was last year when I first started. I've always been a bit confused as to why the thumb isn't further out to give you a flatter palm allowing you to palm the ball like a basketball player might. Of course maybe getting the thumb out has something to do with it?

Shaneshu87
09-10-2014, 11:38 AM
you can move the thumb out out to compensate for that it has it's pro's and con's like anything else. that is how i used to drill my balls but i found it a little more difficult to come up the back of the ball or to stay underneath it. now i just line up my bridge with my thumb hole and it fits great, i can do just about anything with my palm but like you said it is nearly impossible to get it 100% flat

RobLV1
09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Here's my dilemma with this, I can't have the ball rest comfortably in the palm of my hand, because the location of the thumbhole makes that impossible - don't have a picture, but my thumbhole is positioned in such a way that my palm kinda squishes up a bit when my fingers are in it. Basically if you look at your right palm with the palm facing you and thumb outstretched then your palm is flat. But as you bring your thumb closer and closer to your middle and ring fingers the palm kinda scrunches up - I assumed every ball is drilled this way to various degrees, hence making it impossible to lie a ball flat on your palm.

Ice, I know you're an advocate of the tri-grip, is this what the tri-grip and other nonconventional drilling techniques entail, or maybe I just need to update my drilling as my style is 1000% different than it was last year when I first started. I've always been a bit confused as to why the thumb isn't further out to give you a flatter palm allowing you to palm the ball like a basketball player might. Of course maybe getting the thumb out has something to do with it?

The way that you describe your palm "scrunching up" it sounds like you might want to have your span checked (it could be too short), and have the pitch on your thumb hole checked. More reverse pitch may allow you to have the ball rest on your palm.

MICHAEL
09-10-2014, 12:01 PM

I personally think that the Tri-Grip puts everything in PERFECT alignment, for a VERY comfortable grip, ( very natural feel ). Many say the ball feels about a pound lighter also. The thumb comes out sooner, and easier.

I am sure there are many other combinations that work, but when FITTED correctly the Tri-Grip might just be a GREAT fitting for YOU to try! Everyone I know that gave it a try, loves it! With the tri grip, the ball feels like its a part of you, perfect alignment of muscle, hand, arm, wrist!

Shaneshu87
09-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I personally think that the Tri-Grip puts everything in PERFECT alignment, for a VERY comfortable grip, ( very natural feel ). Many say the ball feels about a pound lighter also. The thumb comes out sooner, and easier.

I am sure there are many other combinations that work, but when FITTED correctly the Tri-Grip might just be a GREAT fitting for YOU to try! Everyone I know that gave it a try, loves it! With the tri grip, the ball feels like its a part of you, perfect alignment of muscle, hand, arm, wrist!

i may just try the tri grip lol my local pro shop guy is teaching the basics about drilling i may experiment with this drill

MICHAEL
09-10-2014, 12:13 PM
i may just try the tri grip lol my local pro shop guy is teaching the basics about drilling i may experiment with this drill

I know many pro shops don't have the knowledge? I think if you own a pro shop you have to buy the information from the guy that invented the Tri Grip. Come on out to Vegas,,, maybe Mike White will whip one out for you! (IF he can borrow a pro shop) lol

Shaneshu87
09-10-2014, 01:39 PM
i know the pro shop guy here knows how, he has drilled a few already for other clients, mostly children but one older gentleman with an LT-48 he makes that ball look very well, and it drilling his optimus with the tri grip next week.