PDA

View Full Version : Release Question

bobforsaken
09-23-2014, 06:02 PM
I've been working on improving my release for a few months now. I have two ways of releasing the ball in terms of how it feels to me. One way allows me to be pretty accurate but I suffer from low revs and bad carry. The other way produces better revs but I have yet to gain consistency with it.

Again this is by how it feels to me and how I visualize what I'm doing.

Release 1. I come from a cupped position and as I'm rotating around the side of the ball as I uncup I let the ball fall off my thumb and my fingers "catch it". My follow through feels as though I'm "scratching" up the side of the ball with my inserted fingers. This produces an accurate throw for me but low revs/Poor carry

Release 2. I start full cupped with the weight of the ball sitting between my index finger and thumb. As I'm coming forward on my final slide step I imagine the index finger pointing to my target and maintain the flat cupped spot just a little longer. then I imagine twisting a door knob or tossing a football underhand towards the arrow with my index finger being the axis of which my wrist rotates around. This generally produces a higher rev rate but less accuracy on my delivery.

Release 2 seems to be giving me the best strike percentage but I suffer with spares. If it sounds "right" i'll keep working on getting comfortable with it.

If Release 1 sounds right, then can anyone offer suggestions to help me improve my rev rate/carry?

Amyers
09-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Release two is closer to how I release the ball. Be careful not to over rotate the hand this could be causing some of your accuracy problems.

Shaneshu87
09-23-2014, 08:57 PM
when you cup your hand and wrist you tend to muscle the ball, this could be your accuracy problem. the best release for you is what feels best and remember more revs does not equal more pins, just mean more angle. i went from about 350 revs down to about 225 by switching to the Sarge Easter grip, but my average has jumped 15 pins in two weeks... just keep practicing, just focus on your release, on consistently hitting your mark, don't worry about what the pins do just worry about what your release feels like and whether or not you hit your mark.

bobforsaken
09-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback.. I don't think I'm muscling it, it seems to be more of an issue of not always coming off my hands cleanly. If Release 2 doesn't seem like its "wrong" than I'll keep working on it. It definitely gives me more margin for error if I miss to the right.

Amyers
09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
There is no right or wrong just what you can consistently repeat that provides you with the speed and revs required to strike. The repeatable part is always the biggest question.

RobLV1
09-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Try to feel the weight of the ball at the base of the "V" formed where your index finger and middle finger come together. Getting the weight too close to the thumb encourages you to come over the top upon release.

Joker
09-24-2014, 02:13 PM
if you forcibly cup your wrist you could be having a "harder" time than you think of releasing the ball. A lot of times when you cup you pull the ball certain directions because the balls haven't come out cleanly yet and ends up being a crap shoot based on the way you throw your arm. This could be your accuracy issue

bobforsaken
09-26-2014, 09:15 AM
if you forcibly cup your wrist you could be having a "harder" time than you think of releasing the ball. A lot of times when you cup you pull the ball certain directions because the balls haven't come out cleanly yet and ends up being a crap shoot based on the way you throw your arm. This could be your accuracy issue

I think that describes exactly my issue. I was having problems coming out cleanly. A few days later I was practicing (with a less swelled thumb) and didn't have accuracy issues. My thumb seems to get swell with "rug burn" from the white textured tape after a lot of bowling. I'm thinking about switching to black tape on both sides of my thumb hole

bobforsaken
09-29-2014, 10:29 AM
I had my first official 600 series yesterday. Didn't have any accuracy issues. During practice I couldn't get the ball off my thumb and was struggling. I had to pull out all 4 pieces of my textured tape, but it seemed to work.. Thanks Joker.

Shaneshu87
09-29-2014, 11:21 AM
nice set

bobforsaken
09-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Thank you!