PDA

View Full Version : Teaching someone to hook???

YODA
10-05-2014, 08:57 PM
My buddy wants to get into bowling, but when he throws it goes straight, or he has to use two fingers and twist hard to get the ball to hook into the pocket. I personally am awful at teaching someone how to bowl. Any good videos or anything on youtube that I could pass along to him to help him? I would love to be able to teach him, but between work and leagues and my family I dont have alot of time to "teach" and like I said before I am awful when it comes to teaching people, especially bowling lol..

larry mc
10-05-2014, 09:13 PM
u need a pimp , pimps r the best 4 teaching hookers

striker12
10-05-2014, 09:14 PM
YODA there was a video on YouTube I cant remember the name of it I had it flagged on my old YouTube account witch I cant remember the password.

I think if you go onto YouTube and maybe type in ""how to learn to hook a bowling ball"" might work and also I now bowlingball.com did a think on hooking the bowling ball in one of there episodes they did I would suggest maybe sending bowlingball.com a msg and see if they can help send you that video.

I do now storm has done a video of it and its on there YouTube channel, it was randy perterson that did the video for them here's the link to storms YouTube page take a look threw there videos you might find something that would help

storms channel---- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7MbYTEskjbg31t_1wAWjWA

another thing that would help is maybe one of your days when your go bowling in league, if the proshop is open go in there and ask them they might be able to help.

dnhoffman
10-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Have him work with a bronze coach

bowl1820
10-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Any good videos or anything on youtube that I could pass along to him to help him?

Go to this youtube feed,

https://www.youtube.com/user/YourBowling/feed
watch the usbc videos:
Starting position
lane play & adjustments
spare shooting
Mental Game - Pre Shot Routine
Finish Position
and bowling secrets

foreverincamo
10-06-2014, 07:48 AM
There are many videos on YouTube covering how to hook the ball. Dig thru them. Some are videos of releases by the pros, some are from coaches, and some are your average bowler just showing how they do it.

I taught my wife how to throw a hook using a fingertip grip over the summer . She worked with me and some really good coaches and now is really getting it.

Hammer
10-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Bowl1820: very informative link. Thanks much.

YODA
11-19-2014, 12:10 AM
I know this thread is kind of old, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone, and Bowl1820 especially.. I had him watch and rewatch the videos. He got himself a Storm IQ Tour Fusion and a Dv8 Misfit recently and has been doing really good. He got them setup at the proshop close to us, and he is improving alot... He finally hit a 200 game the other night and he honestly is loving bowling now.

Although he was upset I have to work tomorrow and cant bowl with him LOL :) but he will get over it.

again thanks to everyone. He has work to be done to improve but glad he finally got into it enough to actually buy two nice balls and he wants to league bowl now :)

bowl1820
11-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Glad it's coming along for him!