PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else start their approach from the close set of dots?

axslinger
10-22-2014, 02:43 PM
I've always started at the close set of dots. The far set just seems too far for me. I tried it and don't know what to do with all the extra steps; it made me feel like I'd never bowled before. I start my push-away with my first step and I'm a stroker.

bowl1820
10-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I've always started at the close set of dots. The far set just seems too far for me. I tried it and don't know what to do with all the extra steps; it made me feel like I'd never bowled before. I start my push-away with my first step and I'm a stroker.

Thats about where I start, it's a pretty common starting place.

But it will be different for everybody, depending on if they use 4 or 5 step approach (or more or less), their stride etc. Also some lanes only have one set of dots

YODA
10-22-2014, 03:11 PM
I actually start about 1 step behind the first set of dots when bowling. The only time I start farther back is when I have a spare to pickup on the edge, for some reason starting further back makes me think a second longer and throw straighter to pick it up.

Amyers
10-22-2014, 03:13 PM
I use a 5 step and I start about a foot length behind the first set of dots

striker12
10-22-2014, 04:10 PM
I use to stand on the close dots, had a 5 step approach but small strides but my approach was very fast so I have backed up to the back dots, now I have slowed down and bigger strides and still same slide

vdubtx
10-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I start at closer set of dots in a 4 step approach.

Aslan
10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
I actually start about 1 step behind the first set of dots when bowling.
Yup, me too.

Although I've started at various points as I've tried to find the best/ideal approach. I used to start way back...then way forward...then a foot in front of the far dots, then 2 feet behind that spot...now I'm at one foot behind those dots.

I have more issues with targeting (dots, between dots and arrows, arrows, etc...) than where I start the approach.

Amyers
10-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Yup, me too.

Although I've started at various points as I've tried to find the best/ideal approach. I used to start way back...then way forward...then a foot in front of the far dots, then 2 feet behind that spot...now I'm at one foot behind those dots.

I have more issues with targeting (dots, between dots and arrows, arrows, etc...) than where I start the approach.

Why do I feel like there is a chart coming of why Aslan stands here

Blomer
10-22-2014, 11:51 PM
I also start at the close set of dots using a 5 step, but my first step is more like a half step.

Aslan
10-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Why do I feel like there is a chart coming of why Aslan stands here

Nope. No chart. Although there was a good article in BTM about lofting and targeting different spots further and closer. And yes, for our folks from West Virginia…there ARE pictures.

fortheloveofbowling
10-23-2014, 04:52 PM
I start around a foot behind the closer dots and sometimes adjust forward or backward to change the lay down spot.

foreverincamo
10-30-2014, 12:37 AM
I start with my toes just behind the first row of dots. I'm 6'2" and long legs, but I take short strides and end with I long slide. I can end a foot behind the foul line sometimes.

Stormed1
10-30-2014, 01:03 AM
I mnormally start at the front set of dots but right now I am just in front of them so I end up closer to the line with a 5 step approach