PDA

View Full Version : Muscle'ing the ball VS. Not

axslinger
10-22-2014, 04:37 PM
One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten regarding bowling is to let the weight of the ball generate my arm speed rather than muscle'ing or forcing the ball. When I use that technique, I am at my most accurate and get the best scores. I generally throw around 15 MPH.

It appears to me that pro bowlers must use some force to get the 20+ MPH ball speed. Is that correct? If so, doesn't that go against what everybody teaches; to use the ball like a pendulum?

Aslan
10-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Feel free to read a very spirited debate on the subject HERE: http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/15389-Gravity-swing-can-increase-your-scores

However, I will say that in my defense I have changed my opinion on this a bit. Not entirely...you'll still see high level bowlers that add "something" to the ball during the delivery. Nowadays they call it "adding hand". But I now have a better understanding of the advantage of a smooth swing, quiet shoulder, etc...

Mike White
10-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Feel free to read a very spirited debate on the subject HERE: http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/15389-Gravity-swing-can-increase-your-scores

However, I will say that in my defense I have changed my opinion on this a bit. Not entirely...you'll still see high level bowlers that add "something" to the ball during the delivery. Nowadays they call it "adding hand". But I now have a better understanding of the advantage of a smooth swing, quiet shoulder, etc...

That thread is a year old, and sight unseen, I diagnosed your problem.

Today it is still your problem.

No body control.

vdubtx
10-23-2014, 12:47 PM
One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten regarding bowling is to let the weight of the ball generate my arm speed rather than muscle'ing or forcing the ball. When I use that technique, I am at my most accurate and get the best scores. I generally throw around 15 MPH.

It appears to me that pro bowlers must use some force to get the 20+ MPH ball speed. Is that correct? If so, doesn't that go against what everybody teaches; to use the ball like a pendulum?

How high your back swing is can also be a factor on your speed. Quite a few pro's have a very high back swing which helps gravity generate the speed they need.

bobforsaken
10-23-2014, 12:47 PM

The way it was described to me, is that its a free swing after the push-out (or hinge) all the way through the backswing AND the first 12 inches or so of free fall from the top of the back swing into the forward swing. From that point the ball is on target and putting a little bit of acceleration threw the release adds revs. But the ball speed comes from faster footwork and a more defined push during the second to last step. (more slide).

MICHAEL
10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

No body control.

Yes even at the local gym Aslan shows ( NO BODY CONTOL!)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/DESERTSUN2008/ANIMATION/pushups.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/DESERTSUN2008/media/ANIMATION/pushups.gif.html)

COULD MIKE WHITE be correct! Does Aslan need to pull himself together, and demonstrate more body control??
Tune in next week!!

Mike White
10-23-2014, 01:52 PM
How high your back swing is can also be a factor on your speed. Quite a few pro's have a very high back swing which helps gravity generate the speed they need.

The height of the back swing doesn't create more ball speed.

It does create arm speed, but since the high back swing takes longer to come back down to the bottom, the feet have to move slower so they arrive at the slide at the same point as the ball.

Slower feet reduce ball speed more than high back swing increases ball speed.

Increasing the ball speed can be done without arm muscle, but it requires leg and torso muscles.

If you dip your shoulder while near the top of your back swing, you increase potential energy in the ball.

If you raise your shoulder slightly near the release, you cause a whipping motion increasing the ball speed.

MICHAEL
10-23-2014, 02:18 PM
We had a guy here in Kansas city that bowled with Pat Henderson last Thursday roll two 300' in a role, for a 838 series! I watched the guy throw a few at Gladstone Tuesday before league. GUY IS AND ANIMAL!!! He has it all,,, good speed, and many think 600 to 800 revs...

I have seen guys around here that thought they had some revs, but this guy is on another LEVEL!! VERY SMOOTH also... I will get his name next time I see Pat. Pat is a hall of fame bowler here in Missouri, and he was blown away with this guys talent. Wow something to see!!

It looked like he used along with his smooth delivery some muscle on all his shots! I will try to video this guy!

VERY POWERFUL DELEVERY,,, CARZY!!! BEST I have even seen in person!

Joker
10-23-2014, 02:45 PM
having the ball when at the approach can be a factor for adding speed.
Height also adds a factor for speed

but a lot of pros will use the pendulum system but when they get close to the release, thats when they use "force" to add to the ball not the entire process.

Aslan
10-23-2014, 03:56 PM

No body control.

So what you're saying…is when I finally get balanced at the foul line…I'll be unstoppable!!

Correct. See, I like to take a more optimistic take on MWhite posts. He's far too negative. I see the Aslan glass as "half-full" rather than "half empty".

Mike White
10-26-2014, 01:53 AM
So what you're saying…is when I finally get balanced at the foul line…I'll be unstoppable!!

Correct. See, I like to take a more optimistic take on MWhite posts. He's far too negative. I see the Aslan glass as "half-full" rather than "half empty".

No, when you finally get balanced, you be able to start working on the laundry list of other problems that will become apparent.

Aslan
10-26-2014, 02:00 AM
No, when you finally get balanced, you be able to start working on the laundry list of other problems that will become apparent.

dammit

Did anyone ever tell you…you'd make a horrible motivational speaker?

And good luck tomorrow morning! I'm sure you guys will do better with me not there and Blinding at 160!

Mike White
10-26-2014, 02:36 AM
dammit

Did anyone ever tell you…you'd make a horrible motivational speaker?

And good luck tomorrow morning! I'm sure you guys will do better with me not there and Blinding at 160!

If you need motivating, you didn't really want to do whatever it was in the first place.

Aslan
10-26-2014, 02:28 PM
If you need motivating, you didn't really want to do whatever it was in the first place.

See what I mean? A motivational speaker would never say that.