PDA

View Full Version : My hand takes way too long to warm up at morning league.

Bradski9
11-08-2014, 10:53 PM
I bowl in a Saturday morning youth league and ever since it got below 50s my hand (thumb mostly) takes forever to actually get used to throwing a bowling ball. I'm talking 15 minutes of practice and maybe halfway into the 2nd game I'm ready.

what I mean by that is I have had trouble for the past couple years putting a consistent amount of revs on the ball, like one shot will be 150, 2nd will be pulled right (I'm left handed) at like 100 and after that I will throw one I'm happy with at somewhere over 200..

I've been fiddling with my tape but it's pretty difficult since my thumb swells so much in that 15 minutes of practice and 1.5 games of bowling I almost always have to take a piece out again.

This is another question entirely, does anyone have any tips to help deliver a consistent shot in terms of rev rate?

Mike White
11-08-2014, 11:25 PM
I bowl in a Saturday morning youth league and ever since it got below 50s my hand (thumb mostly) takes forever to actually get used to throwing a bowling ball. I'm talking 15 minutes of practice and maybe halfway into the 2nd game I'm ready.

what I mean by that is I have had trouble for the past couple years putting a consistent amount of revs on the ball, like one shot will be 150, 2nd will be pulled right (I'm left handed) at like 100 and after that I will throw one I'm happy with at somewhere over 200..

I've been fiddling with my tape but it's pretty difficult since my thumb swells so much in that 15 minutes of practice and 1.5 games of bowling I almost always have to take a piece out again.

This is another question entirely, does anyone have any tips to help deliver a consistent shot in terms of rev rate?

If the bathrooms in your bowling alley have hot air hand driers, they are your new best friend in the morning.

Thaw those hands out before practice starts.

Konvict1982
11-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Fix you a nice hot cup of hot chocolate and use the cup to warm your hands while sipping on it (careful not to burn yourself if it is really hot though). I used to do this when it was cold and I would walk to school as a teen.

dnhoffman
11-09-2014, 08:05 AM
These are good ideas. Most likely your thumb doesn't quite fit at the beginnings so you grip a bit and walla... Less revs and occasional pulls.

Can you just put a piece of tape in?

Bradski9
11-09-2014, 01:56 PM
it seems like 2 pieces is too much and 1 is not enough, i am getting some black smooth tape as i feel that will help a great deal. right now i just use white 3/4 textured tape.

Mike White
11-09-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm getting more an more people wanting an IT thumb, not for one size thumb in multiple balls, but multiple size thumbs in one ball.

Bradski9
11-09-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm getting more an more people wanting an IT thumb, not for one size thumb in multiple balls, but multiple size thumbs in one ball.

What's an IT thumb? I have a buddy that has a thumb insert that locks into place and goes into like 4 balls.

Mike White
11-09-2014, 05:06 PM
What's an IT thumb? I have a buddy that has a thumb insert that locks into place and goes into like 4 balls.

The 2 most common brands of interchangeable thumbs are Vise IT, and Turbo Switch Grip.

At the bottom of the Vise IT, there is a section that is threaded, that screws into the piece that is glued into the ball.

At the bottom of the Turbo Switch Grip, there are two tabs that lock (when twisted) into the piece that is glued into the ball.

Each perform the same function, just use different methods to achieve it.

MICHAEL
11-09-2014, 05:36 PM
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/briankril/Wilcor%20Products/handwarmers_zps40cb2b5f.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/briankril/media/Wilcor%20Products/handwarmers_zps40cb2b5f.jpg.html)

word has it,,,, many of the pro's use this product!! Last up to 7 hours!!

dnhoffman
11-10-2014, 08:14 AM
IT won't really solve this problem though... You'd have to custom shave each one perfectly... I have two ITs (well... 4, but two only get used around July...) and still use about 3 pieces of tape in each depending.

MICHAEL
11-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Maybe Candy, would warm your hands up before bowling, for a reasonable fee!! She is a professional Hand Warmer, not many out there anymore!
Not a Hot profession like it was bachttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/I_was_a_teenage_martian/My%20Girls/Hotties%20with%20Hot%20Rods/blowtorch.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/I_was_a_teenage_martian/media/My%20Girls/Hotties%20with%20Hot%20Rods/blowtorch.jpg.html)k in its day!

Aslan
11-10-2014, 01:07 PM
If the bathrooms in your bowling alley have hot air hand driers, they are your new best friend in the morning.

Thaw those hands out before practice starts.

Well, that explains where Mike disappears to before our Sunday morning league.

Still doesn't explain why I find him in front of the hand drier not wearing pants...but this is California so I'm sure there's a logical and socially acceptable reason for it.

Mike White
11-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Well, that explains where Mike disappears to before our Sunday morning league.

Still doesn't explain why I find him in front of the hand drier not wearing pants...but this is California so I'm sure there's a logical and socially acceptable reason for it.

There are different degrees of memory loss.

It's one thing when you forget to zip up after the bathroom use.

It's a whole different thing when you forget to unzip.

Blomer
11-10-2014, 04:55 PM
My thumb will swell and will take time to shrink so it will fit. The blow dryer worked for me. Also just rubbing my hands together like Daniel son in karate kid works as well.

Blacksox1
11-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Wear gloves on the way to the bowling center.

Bradski9
11-16-2014, 10:25 PM
I left 15 minutes early to league yesterday and did some push ups, stretches and other quick exercises to get my blood flowing. Seemed to have worked really well considering I through the best series of my entire life with a 674 xD luckily 15 minutes early means hardly anyone in the building haha.

Mike White
11-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I left 15 minutes early to league yesterday and did some push ups, stretches and other quick exercises to get my blood flowing. Seemed to have worked really well considering I through the best series of my entire life with a 674 xD luckily 15 minutes early means hardly anyone in the building haha.

How much did Candy charge for those "other quick exercises" that got your blood flowing?

Bradski9
11-17-2014, 10:27 AM
I dont understand Mike, are you asking if i had a bunch of candy to get my blood flowing? if so then nope :P i usually dont eat during league.

Mike White
11-17-2014, 11:26 AM
I dont understand Mike, are you asking if i had a bunch of candy to get my blood flowing? if so then nope :P i usually dont eat during league.

Mega Whoosh,,,

Post #11, Thats the Candy I was referring to.

Bradski9
11-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Mega Whoosh,,,

Post #11, Thats the Candy I was referring to.

Oh, I usually read this forum on my phone and half the time the pictures don't load, and I can't go back a page I am stuck on the newest page.