PDA

View Full Version : Center changes house shot during league season

Blomer
11-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Last week, someone mentioned during league that the center changed the house shot. Sure enough, I thrw my normal strike ball and it wouldn't come back. Several other bowlers had issues as well. They said they switched it so newer bowlers would have success. I really don't know too much about the different shots or lay down or oil, but it seemed a lot more oil along the gutters. I just don't think its right right to change the house shot when the season has already started. We bowled about 8 weeks or so prior to the change.

Has this happened to anyone else?

vdubtx
11-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Yes, we can sometimes get a different shot every week at league. Sometimes it isn't even fresh oil we are bowling on because the center doesn't like to turn away business from open bowling. Just have to learn to adjust to conditions, which in the end will make you a better bowler. :cool:

bowl1820
11-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Last week, someone mentioned during league that the center changed the house shot. Sure enough, I thrw my normal strike ball and it wouldn't come back. Several other bowlers had issues as well. They said they switched it so newer bowlers would have success. I really don't know too much about the different shots or lay down or oil, but it seemed a lot more oil along the gutters. I just don't think its right right to change the house shot when the season has already started. We bowled about 8 weeks or so prior to the change.

Happens a lot of places about this time of year, usually their changing over to a winter shot to better match up to the weather etc.

Blomer
11-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Wow. I didn't know this was common. During summer I played on a sports patter league where they switched it up every few weeks. But up till last week, this has been the same house shot for last season to now. I just wished they would of changed the shot at the start of the season. I practiced using my new ball, Hy-Road Solid and now that ball won't move like it was. I used by Optimus and did okay. Thanks for the reply!

vgw
11-10-2014, 06:07 PM
I like it when they change the shot - it makes you a better bowler in learning how to adjust and bowl different ways.

Mike White
11-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I like it when they change the shot - it makes you a better bowler in learning how to adjust and bowl different ways.

Change is not always good, or fair.

Years ago I was in a scratch league, where during the last month the conditions were much more difficult for right handers, and easier for left-handers.

The league had a top 5 step ladder roll off at the end to determine finishing position.

Strangely enough the 4th place team with 3 left handers, finished 1st in the roll off.

For the most part it is good because it shows who can find a line, rather than simply play were the played the week before.

It might not be such a good idea in a handicap league.

RobLV1
11-10-2014, 06:54 PM

I second that!

Blacksox1
11-10-2014, 07:04 PM
My house has changed the shot two times since the start of league 13 weeks ago. Still waiting for what bowl1820 said, I call it the holiday shot, because it brings the gift of higher scores!

mc_runner
11-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Mine may have changed it last week, felt completely different than previous times. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... jokes on me for not adjusting ;)

MICHAEL
11-10-2014, 10:44 PM
come on down to Plattsburg Missouri,,, bowl on Thursday night with ICEMAN, on wood lanes, that they change every week, length, of oil 35 to 42, and Red, white and blue patterns along with what every other codes they decide to program into their pretty new oil machine. Talk about tough, up until 3 years ago, they oiled them there wooden lanes and cleaned them with mops!!

I think it has helped my game 100 percent playing the different oil layout!http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/ckatwoman_h/Smilies2/mop2.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/ckatwoman_h/media/Smilies2/mop2.gif.html)

Makes playing the standard THS a cake walk!! LOL

Them hard working Farm boys don't like anything EASY!!

Don't feel like your the lone ranger in regards to oil patterns changing... EACH WEEK... (:) (:)http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/21355/tlrani.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/21355/media/tlrani.gif.html)

mc_runner
11-10-2014, 10:50 PM
I didn't get any practice time last week so the conditions caught me by surprise! I would love to bowl on those lanes with changing patterns every week... makes for becoming a better bowler!

MICHAEL
11-10-2014, 10:51 PM
I didn't get any practice time last week so the conditions caught me by surprise! I would love to bowl on those lanes with changing patterns every week... makes for becoming a better bowler!

you got that right!!! (:)

Blomer
11-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Well I was actually struggling before they changed the shot. Last week and this week I averaged 178 both nights which is good for me. And I was moving right along the 7 board to ending up throwing a rope at the 20 with a small hook to,the pocket finishing with 7 strikes. Maybe Im starting to like it. I know someone did as he threw a 300.

Stormed1
11-11-2014, 02:21 AM
Keep in mind also that living in northern Illinois once the temperature changes outside and the heating system is running it will also have an effect on how the shot plays.

rico
11-11-2014, 01:12 PM
A lot of good comments already....gotta be ready for anything....the roads we drive on change with weather conditions, our bowling balls change reaction when we do not get to the pro shop and refresh the surfaces, the lane machines can malfunction putting lesser amounts of oil than previous procedures, the humidity inside the centers can change the lane conditions slightly, and so on....

Let our bowling balls be our guide.....we all must adjust as needed to ball reaction changes.....

I will say, however, that although everyone in your league has to deal with the change in lane conditions, the changes can favor some bowler styles more than others.....bowling is a frustrating game when it comes to competition but we must make the best of things as well as possible.....

YODA
11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Yep, where we play they change it up right around this time now also. It honesty does not bother me though, gives me more to practice with and it lets me find excuses to get another ball or two LOL! :)

ALazySavage
11-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I could only wish that my Sunday league would change the shot they put down. Scores are starting to get abnormially high at this one center (on the flip side it will be so fun when we have City/State tournaments and all of these 210+ average bowlers who think they are the greatest ever get the reality check that they are actually a 190 bowler - Maybe I should send these people to ICEMAN's Wood Championship).

vgw
11-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Change is not always good, or fair.

Years ago I was in a scratch league, where during the last month the conditions were much more difficult for right handers, and easier for left-handers.

The league had a top 5 step ladder roll off at the end to determine finishing position.

Strangely enough the 4th place team with 3 left handers, finished 1st in the roll off.

For the most part it is good because it shows who can find a line, rather than simply play were the played the week before.

It might not be such a good idea in a handicap league.

Well, lefties are a whole 'nother story....haha

cdolce18
11-15-2014, 08:58 PM

My center just changed the shot on us- they put down the same pattern except they doubled the amount of oil to accommodate the second shift league. I have been using my columbia freeze which has been doing great. All of a sudden one week my ball is coming in slightly light and what looks like a strike leaves a 10 pin. Very frustrating. I took my ball from 2000 grit to 1000 grit and the next night I shot my best sanctioned game- 299.

foreverincamo
11-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Saw a bowler got an award for high average for his league. He's a bowler for DV8 balls. Averaged 253 for 89 games. You think they ever changed his lane conditions? Where I bowl the conditions are always similar week to week, but never the same. I think I would get bored averaging 750 every night. Even a low 800 series wouldn't be exciting for him.
I'm sure some people think the shot should be consistent, but you're a better bowler if you're having to adapt and read the lanes every week . My two cents .

mike_thomas93
11-23-2014, 01:03 PM
I've had something opposite of that actually. During high school bowling season my senior year, when we bowled at the brunswick alley in a couple of our matches, they had changed the house shot to where it would hook so much that the right-handers had to play way inside. There was no room for error because if we got it too far right, it would overturn like crazy. Literally, I remember one of my practice shots, i threw my normal shot, and it went dead left of the headpin. And apparently the shot was fresh. I wasn't accustomed to playing that deep, but I didn't do too badly over there at that time. Left side of the lanes seems normal, but there weren't that many lefties anyway.