PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Oiled Lanes- Need Help

cdolce18
11-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Hi All,

My center has been using a typical house shot, but recently they have increased the amount of oil. The lanes are now heavy-oil as opposed to medium oil. It seems that they doubled the oil so that the competitive second shift league would have some oil to start with. Tonight in league, I brought my Mutant Cell Solid (at 1000 grit and usually has no problem hooking) with me just in case they heavily oiled the lanes. I throw the ball about 14.5 mph and i like to get some rev on the ball (probably medium rev). My problem tonight was that the ball was hooking too late no matter what adjustment I made. I just couldn't get the ball back into the pocket. I moved all the way right, I slowed my ball speed, I moved back on the approach to catch more of the lane upon release...no luck. I ended up with a 597 (180, 196, 221)- I don't know how. I was lost for most of the night, and that rarely happens. This league is 5 man- it was the 6th or 7th frame of the third game before the lane finally broke down enough for my ball to end up in the pocket and carry. It seems that they will be putting this shot down going forward. What adjustments can I make to my game without buying another ball? Should I make another surface adjustment? I don't bowl on heavy oil much, so I'm not sure what to do and I think a 500/360 grit surface adjustment might be a bit extreme.

Please note- I regularly resurface and de-oil my equipment. They put this shot down for practice yesterday and my friend (who is 2 handed, throws the ball 16-18 mph with a lot of rev) had a hard time getting the ball into the pocket as well. It took us about 12 games to break the pair down enough to score well.

Here's what I'm working with:

Mutant Cell Solid- 1000 grit
Mutant Cell Pearl- 3000 grit
Columbia Freeze- 1000 grit (I usually start off the night with this ball)
Columbia Freeze Hybrid- 4000 grit
Track 400a- 1000 grit w/ polish
Brunswick Slingshot- 2000 grit
Karma Urethane- 4000 grit
Taboo Spare- 1000 grit

Thanks!

RobLV1
11-18-2014, 08:06 AM
It sounds like they may have increased the length of the pattern as well as the volume. You might consider taking a page out of the sport bowling book, and move left on the longer pattern, but don't swing it out. Since your ball is "hooking too late," moving in and still playing direct may enable you to take advantage of that little pop on the backend to get you the carry you need. Good luck.

vdubtx
11-18-2014, 10:42 AM
As Rob suggests try a more inside line. Many of the heavier oil or sport shot patterns are unforgiving if you get outside of 10 board. Unless it is the shorter patterns of course.

Good luck!

Mike White
11-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Hypothetically, before the double oiling, lets say you had 15 feet of skid, and 35 feet of hook phase.

That got the ball rolling 10 feet before hitting the pins.

Now they come along and double oil.

That doubles your skid phase to 30 feet..

The hook phase would still be 35 feet, but as you can tell, the ball wouldn't begin to roll until after it left the pin deck.

The best option to reduce the skid phase is to use a more coarse grit sanding (try 500)

The balls you have, are a little on the higher end of the RG scale, which tend to extend the hook phase.

If a new ball was the option, getting a low RG ball could reduce the hook phase to 25 feet, and once again the ball would be rolling before contacting the pins.

If the pattern started out life as a THS, and doubled, there should still be dry boards outside.

See if you can find some, even if it means playing straight up 3 board.

If you play through the middle of a THS your ball gets very little reaction in the back end. It would have to be even less reaction on a doubled THS.

cdolce18
11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your response- very helpful! I think the first thing to do is find out what they are doing differently- whether its double oil or a longer pattern. Once I find out, I'll check back in. I made a surface adjustment and will take the ball with me on Sunday- ill try the outside, I'll try the a little more left, I'll try everything.