PDA

View Full Version : Help an auld spinner break 200

samdasham
11-19-2014, 08:52 PM
New meat & found this thread in a search. I didn't attempt to be a spinner per se, yet in searching for a wee bit of action in my conventional grip/straight bowling I'm kinda/sorta/not really. I'm using an old '98 Brunswick Eclipse reactive urethane 15lb 4 oz. It was being used as a house ball and was given to me as it was close to my hand/fingers size. Had the thumb/fingers opened up and my palm doesn't touch the ball even w/palm padded glove. My wrist is straight w/arm though the angle of the drilling prevents me from ever dropping the ball. Twenty-three games Sunday and my average 1st/2nd ball speed were both 16+. After 15 or so games I started using a 14lb house ball for spares.

Because I started throwing straight I'm all the way over on the right and, when my arm is fresh, I can roll over the second arrow-just outside w/slow mini-arc and hit the pocket. I can see the line on my ball from spinning. It's in front of the holes and the line encircles roughly 1/3 of the ball. I've since learned that means no flare. Right-handed my index finger is under the ball as if I was probing for a prostate. Release is 180* CCW swivel and I'm a five stepper in approach.

When throwing spares I move up using a 3/4 approach and start swing w/arm down pulling it straight back w/o any pendullem momentum. I also line my right/throwing arm up perpendicular w/where I'm aiming to hit the pin(s) from the center of the lane on spares. I will throw across the lane for pins in the corners. Especially the left side.

So much for my Fred Flintstone style of bowling. I understand the spinners are using lighter balls though I'm not quite sure if I wish to go that route. What I'd like to know is what style cores do they use. I see pictures of the asymmetrical cores that appear to be mushroom shaped/heavier on the top side to promote a hook w/proper drilling. I wondered if drilled for a spinner would the heavier end be out in front, opposite side of drilling, to promote stability in the spin, heavier side close to lane, or on the back side right in front of the fingers/thumb to encourage lateral movement upon impact. Can a ball be drilled in that fashion? I'm not sure how large the cores are in current offering of balls.

I'm thinking about buying a couple of balls and having them drilled for my hand, but I'm at a loss as to what I want/need. i understand that straight I have at best a 1.87* window to the pocket. Even w/this relic I can obtain a wee bit of movement for a teenie-tiny arc. I've little doubt w/newer ball that I could snag more. I think I want a solid cover ball w/asymmetrical core. A mushroom style core w/cap centered to my palm. My idea is that w/weight high it could promote flare and possibly hit harder off the first deflection. Of course that's merely speculation in me mind.

Sundays are cheap games & I usually bowl 18 games give or take. Wed or Thur depending on how I feel I go in early and bowl 4-5 games. Lately I've kept track of 2-four game averages during the week. I'm roughly 120. The 23 games had my low/84/high 177/average 111. I don't usually use a spare ball, so the lighter 14 lb allowed me to hang in for a few extra. I've been at this routine for a few months and consider the Sunday marathons as a gym work out. The crowd/kids/noise will test my ability of concentration and being able to ignore peripheral movement. I'm trying to score well, but mostly working on repetition/endurance.

I bought some shoes w/removable heels/soles a couple of months ago and still have issues w/sticking instead of sliding. I'm going to have to order some #10 felt soles it seems as my finish has me imitating a hood ornament. I asked the operator at one house. He sez they clean the approach w/water & alcohol. Fair enough, yet when I stroll over to about #12 lane and test it out I note I can slide. There & further down are the lanes used by league bowlers. I have to alter my approach to include a stutter step on the push-off or my left sole will stick. Otherwise, besides bothering my knee & quad, it will soon have my left leg breaking down w/hop and the other following for a step or two in the lane.

Anywho, if I ever read/hear the word arsenal again it'll be too soon. For a moment I thought I was in a gun forum. I've learned a lot over the past few days perusing various threads here. Along w/searches and copying/pasting various articles/aspects of the game. I'll never throw the ball w/holes pointing to the right w/ball spinning towards me. Nor will i ever cup a wrist. I like a straight/broken wrist from the get-go and wish to continue CCW spinning. After 3-4 games I'm running 16.5 mph-18 and change at the pins. I like throwing the ball hard. Even on 3/4 spare shots I'm holding nothing back.

Any help on equipment in my quest for this style will be appreciated. I plan on buying a plastic ball for spares at 14 lbs. As well I'm looking at older, read discounted, balls for more bite than the old Brunswick can manage. It is a roller even in the oil, but if I employ a plastic for spares then whatever I end up shootin' for strikes is going to see little oil from the far right.

I need help in formulating a plan to first break 200 and then maintain an average of 200+. I'm putting in the hours every week hurling balls at two houses. I can order #10 soles and slide, but I need to spend a wee bit o' time studying on a 15 lb ball w/asymmetrical core that can be drilled for a spinner. Not just a spinner as I aspire to be a power spinner. Is there such a legendary creature? Maybe they're looking for him on a show from the Discovery channel.

My revs are bound to be low, so I figure something aggressive in coverstock and lower #grit would be appropriate. I'm looking at various balls, that have been out awhile, available online. I'd like to try one for strikes that's 75- 130 simoleons or so. Whaddya think guys n gals? It ain't April fools and though I'm committed to the cause, probably should be at the very least a ward of the state, I need a sign.

Not the one I receive from other drivers that I cut-off.

Aslan
11-19-2014, 11:27 PM
New meat
huh huh….

I didn't attempt to be a spinner per se,
okay, I'm interested.

yet in searching for a wee bit of action
aren't we all??

I understand the spinners are using lighter balls though I'm not quite sure if I wish to go that route.
What? I don't think you can measure that.

I bought some shoes w/removable heels/soles a couple of months ago and still have issues w/sticking instead of sliding. I'm going to have to order some #10 felt soles it seems as my finish has me imitating a hood ornament. I asked the operator at one house. He sez they clean the approach w/water & alcohol. Fair enough, yet when I stroll over to about #12 lane and test it out I note I can slide. There & further down are the lanes used by league bowlers. I have to alter my approach to include a stutter step on the push-off or my left sole will stick. Otherwise, besides bothering my knee & quad, it will soon have my left leg breaking down w/hop and the other following for a step or two in the lane.

I need help in formulating a plan to first break 200 and then maintain an average of 200+. I'm putting in the hours every week hurling balls at two houses. I can order #10 soles and slide, but I need to spend a wee bit o' time studying on a 15 lb ball w/asymmetrical core that can be drilled for a spinner. Not just a spinner as I aspire to be a power spinner. Is there such a legendary creature? Maybe they're looking for him on a show from the Discovery channel.
What? This parts confusing. I mean…you've only dated big guys >200 and are looking to scale down? Or are you one of those fetish types and want to break the 200 barrier?

Wait, are you a gal? Now that I read this again…"sam" is a confusing name. But there's no such thing as a "guy spinner". Wait. Is there? I'm not gonna lie…the term "power spinner"…kinda makes me really interested. If it's not a creature…Discovery Channel or no…it SHOULD be.

I'm gonna admit here…this is almost as confusing as a noeymc or striker post. So you're either in middle school or are Canadian. Or is it Canadien? I always forget. I mean, technically Mudpuppy is the "word count police"…but that is a VERY lengthy post about either small, energetic Asian women…or possibly bowling. I'm gonna go ahead and "guess" bowling…because it would be a crazy coincidence if it wasn't and just happened to be posted here.

So…assuming this isn't about "spinners"…in 'that' sense. Therefore…sounds like you're kinda a beginner throwing an old plastic or urethane ball and want to take a step up. Okay, go to a good proshop…have them watch you throw a few shots. Have them fingertip drill you an entry level reactive resin ball. Ebonite makes a Cyclone which is very popular. The Storm Tropical Breeze also. The Hammer Arson Low Flare is good. Rotogrip has some nice new low/mid stuff out.

But…probably not "asymmetric cores" and I only say this because if you're averaging 111…your release isn't consistent. I average 164 and my release isn't consistent. An asymmetric core will magnify your release differences shot to shot.

Also…for future reference…in bowling, a "spinner" is what old Asian women throw where the ball 'spins' in a circle…like a top or a helicopter. It is generally NOT how you want the ball to move. I 'think' you're looking for "hook"…and hook comes from axis rotation and axis tilt which is making the ball rotate on the other two axis.

Amyers
11-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Let's just make this short and to the point before spending money on balls get some lessons, learn proper form, and discover what your actual style is once you get some instruction. Then look at purchasing a ball.

samdasham
11-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Oy vey ist mir! What, ist dis a fetish site I've stumbled across? I thought it was bowling in the lower 48, eh? A Canuck? Oh the shame! 54 40 or fight youse bleedin' heart crumpet munchin' tea time sippin' don't know a chip from a French fried tator limey lovin' Oh, Britannica! Britannica rules the waves! Briton singin' nevah, evah will be slaves dainty tossin' courtesy finish couldn't throw a strike w/a rubber ball if your life depended on it thinks a bowler is a hat suffers from delusions of granduer spare missing never saw an open frame he didn't like lives and dies by THS roller.

So much for introductions. Yes, a spinner not the machine that spins a ball and certainly not a petite mademoiselle regardless if roots could be traced back to the Pacific rim. When I step on deck they cue up Black Sabbath, "I am Iron Man" Waa, Waa, wa-wa-wa- followed up by Blue Oyster Cult, "Oh no! There goes Tokyo Go Go Godzilla, yeah."

How consistent can one be chunking an old ball for strikes and spares for 15 games and then dropping from 15-4 to 14 lbs for a spare ball the remaining 8 games? I've been on this regiment since the summer and only recently, at mein alternate hause, have I attempted to average scores.

I've naught the foggiest notion nor intent of hooking the ball in conventional fashion. I'd think my release is easily repeatable. I'm hurling w/straight wrist suitcase release w/twist. Shaken not stirred auld boy. I've also no desire to throw light balls to deflect hither thither and yon.

If I find a ball that suites me fancy in 15 lbs I could very well procure another in 14 lbs to compare one against the other. Perhaps I should buy a 15 & 14 using the 14 as a spare ball employing a no spin suitcase release. I can rotate my thumb to 10 O'clock and let 'er fly from there.

I suppose it would be easier to maintain the same style depending upon the plastic cover to eliminate any spin. However, I already have changed my spare toss to 3/4 length approach and instead of pushing the ball down and forward in step w/right foot I'm hanging my arm perpendicular w/deck. This allows no momentum in my backward swing forcing me to dead lift from a neutral position.

When boredom sets in I rotate my palm 180* upward in my backswing for a mite of CW rotation. Not surprisingly I have ample opportunity at various spares. I am looking forward to picking up a spare ball in 14 lbs. My main concern as I plod along this path of abuse is the drilling.

As previously mentioned I'm on the hunt for a ball(s) w/an asymmetrical mushroom shaped core. I cannot tell from the diagram/illustrations how close the cap comes to the cover. Would I be able to have the ball drilled anywhere? Is there enough room in depth to allow unconventional drilling anywhere w/total disregard to PAP or whatevah voo-doo that would normally enhance a core that's going to hook any given ball/coverstock anyway? I wish to spin the ball CCW on the longitudinal axis, of an asymmetrical mushroom shaped core, so it be imperative that it centers on me palm betwixt me fingers and thumb laddie.

I be all ears mate.

ETA: "lessons, learn proper form,"
First off allow me to extend condolences in the recent loss of your house.
I'm well beyond the point of no return for anything remotely related to proper save the fitting of thumb and fingers. Yet, I thank you for your sound advice. As a product of the fifties my mentality as old blue eyes and the King, thank ya ... ahh ... thank ya very much, is:
I'll do it my way.

MICHAEL
11-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Oy vey ist mir! What, ist dis a fetish site I've stumbled across? I thought it was bowling in the lower 48, eh? A Canuck? Oh the shame! 54 40 or fight youse bleedin' heart crumpet munchin' tea time sippin' don't know a chip from a French fried tator limey lovin' Oh, Britannica! Britannica rules the waves! Briton singin' nevah, evah will be slaves dainty tossin' courtesy finish couldn't throw a strike w/a rubber ball if your life depended on it thinks a bowler is a hat suffers from delusions of granduer spare missing never saw an open frame he didn't like lives and dies by THS roller.

So much for introductions. Yes, a spinner not the machine that spins a ball and certainly not a petite mademoiselle regardless if roots could be traced back to the Pacific rim. When I step on deck they cue up Black Sabbath, "I am Iron Man" Waa, Waa, wa-wa-wa- followed up by Blue Oyster Cult, "Oh no! There goes Tokyo Go Go Godzilla, yeah."

How consistent can one be chunking an old ball for strikes and spares for 15 games and then dropping from 15-4 to 14 lbs for a spare ball the remaining 8 games? I've been on this regiment since the summer and only recently, at mein alternate hause, have I attempted to average scores.

I've naught the foggiest notion nor intent of hooking the ball in conventional fashion. I'd think my release is easily repeatable. I'm hurling w/straight wrist suitcase release w/twist. Shaken not stirred auld boy. I've also no desire to throw light balls to deflect hither thither and yon.

If I find a ball that suites me fancy in 15 lbs I could very well procure another in 14 lbs to compare one against the other. Perhaps I should buy a 15 & 14 using the 14 as a spare ball employing a no spin suitcase release. I can rotate my thumb to 10 O'clock and let 'er fly from there.

I suppose it would be easier to maintain the same style depending upon the plastic cover to eliminate any spin. However, I already have changed my spare toss to 3/4 length approach and instead of pushing the ball down and forward in step w/right foot I'm hanging my arm perpendicular w/deck. This allows no momentum in my backward swing forcing me to dead lift from a neutral position.

When boredom sets in I rotate my palm 180* upward in my backswing for a mite of CW rotation. Not surprisingly I have ample opportunity at various spares. I am looking forward to picking up a spare ball in 14 lbs. My main concern as I plod along this path of abuse is the drilling.

As previously mentioned I'm on the hunt for a ball(s) w/an asymmetrical mushroom shaped core. I cannot tell from the diagram/illustrations how close the cap comes to the cover. Would I be able to have the ball drilled anywhere? Is there enough room in depth to allow unconventional drilling anywhere w/total disregard to PAP or whatevah voo-doo that would normally enhance a core that's going to hook any given ball/coverstock anyway? I wish to spin the ball CCW on the longitudinal axis, of an asymmetrical mushroom shaped core, so it be imperative that it centers on me palm betwixt me fingers and thumb laddie.

I be all ears mate.

I'm well beyond the point of no return for anything remotely related to proper save the fitting of thumb and fingers. Yet, I thank you for your sound advice. As a product of the fifties my mentality as old blue eyes and the King, thank ya ... ahh ... thank ya very much, is:
I'll do it my way.

Reading your post mate, reminds me of Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Don't know why, it just does,,, maybe it has something to do with your desire of mushrooms, and Revs!! I sure there are mushrooms out their that will get the job done, you might talk to Aslan about that! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTUUwbtVyA
maybe all your answers are here........LOL

Amyers
11-20-2014, 10:47 AM

I be all ears mate.

I'll do it my way.

All I can say is WOW

samdasham
11-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Those are quite large fonts on mushroom shaped cores. You may presume correctly that I'm more subtle. I have too many windows open on DSL to take a peek at youtube videos, but I thank you nonetheless for the effort.

I'm hurt that I only can evoke a wow. Is that wow as in shock n awe wow or wow as in, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest electroconvulsive therapy?