PDA

View Full Version : Can a cracked pin ruin a good pocket hit?

Hammer
11-22-2014, 04:46 PM
When you bowl and hit a rack of pins sometimes you can hear that there is a cracked pin in the group. From what I hear about cracked pins is that it will rob you of a strike on a pocket hit. The reason is that crack acts like a shock absorber so the pin won't have a reaction to other pins like it should. That crack will make it lose some of it's energy when it is hit. Some houses don't seem to bother to replace cracked pins probably because we are just league bowlers and not tournament players. If it is a tournament involving good money to the winner you can bet that there is a rule that says the house has to replace defective pins. Is your house good at replacing cracked pins?

foreverincamo
11-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Where I bowl in a league, all you have to do is point out a cracked pin, and it's replaced immediately. I have a pin from the lanes I threw my 300, as the very next week all the pins were replaced. It's still in good condition after being used a year. It must really take a hit to break a pin.

striker12
11-22-2014, 07:33 PM
im not sure able this but 1 time when I bowled I had a hard and fast throw when I use to bowl with only a half a thumb in the ball, I hit the pocket and the headpin cracked in half I still got a strike thanks to the head pin being in 2 pieces to take out the 8pin and 7pin.

I had to ask my coach is that was a legal strike because of it happening and he was part of the CTF, he did not know it was the 1st time he has heard of a pin cracking in half.