PDA

View Full Version : How would you drill me balls?

samdasham
11-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Assortment of close-out NOS balls coming in the first of next week. I'm a 120 average straight right hand bowler traditional grip that lines up in the far right corner. I have me index finger right under the ball when I start, my wrist stays straight from start to finish, and my release, through rotation of my forearm, is about 120* suitcase. My speed w/15 bs 4 oz oldie moldie is 17.5-18 full approach, 3/4 spare shot 16-16.5

Even w/old Brunswick Eclipse reactive urethane blast from the past I manage a wee bit of arc. Nothing close to scratching the surface of fingertip bowlers, yet a mite curve nonetheless. Don't blink or you might miss the magic. I want all three balls drilled alike, so I can compare what if any difference in them w/me straight swing.

I purchased all by the same manufacturer. I figure a little more consistency in the separation betwixt models. Well, that and I found a neat graph containing these balls and others by Track. 714C 16lbs, 706 C/A 15 lbs & 706T 15 lbs. The 714C & 706 C/A are close in performance w/706T possessing more hook/least length.

-----------714C---706 C/A---706T
Total Hook-50 ----50----------54
Length-----12 ---15.5---------11
Backend---14 ----16.5---------15
Torque------6-----7.5----------7

W/my traditional grip/very low revs and decent speed would you drill them all strong attempting to wring out every drop of movement?
Time is running out faster than my money. What kind of drilling would you suggest?

ETA: the 714C was only available in 16 lbs. Since the 706 C/A specs seemed close I thought I'd try 15 lbs. Because the 706T has the most hook I figured I could forearm twist/suitcase release it easier than a 16 pounder. Perhaps this smorgasbord of Track will help me find what weight/style I'm comfortable hurling.

bowl1820
11-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Some extra info for those interested

Track 714C is a Asymmetrical Solid, RG 2.52, Diff. .052 OOB 800 Abranet, 1000, 2000, 3000 Abralon

Track 706C/A is a Asymmetrical Hybrid, RG 2.52, Diff. .053 OOB 500 Abralon / 1500 Abranet Soft / PowerHouse Factory Finish Polish

Track 705T is a Asymmetrical Solid, RG 2.52, Diff. .053 OOB 800 / 1000 / 2000 / 2000 Abralon

RobLV1
11-29-2014, 06:39 PM
I know this will sound cruel, but I really am not intending it that way. With a 120 average and a conventional grip, you will be much, much better off spending your money on some lessons from a qualified coach rather than on bowling balls that, once you do decide to take some lessons, you won't be able to use it anyway.

samdasham
11-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Doesn't sound in the least bit cruel to me. It's your opinion as a bowler, I asked and besides I've no reason to take a personal slant on an internet forum.

So, are you more or less saying that I will not be able to tell the difference, save a single being one lb lighter, one from the other?

"you won't be able to use anyway"

Due more to my low average or the conventional grip?

ETA: And/or because I'm not spinning the ball, evah so roughly, on the same plane as the ball is traveling?

It seems that I would have to have it drilled where the longitudinal axis of the core is centered in my grip.

RobLV1
11-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Doesn't sound in the least bit cruel to me. It's your opinion as a bowler, I asked and besides I've no reason to take a personal slant on an internet forum.

So, are you more or less saying that I will not be able to tell the difference, save a single being one lb lighter, one from the other?

"you won't be able to use anyway"

Due more to my low average or the conventional grip?

ETA: And/or because I'm not spinning the ball, evah so roughly, on the same plane as the ball is traveling?

It seems that I would have to have it drilled where the longitudinal axis of the core is centered in my grip.

What I'm saying is that with a 120 average, you have not yet reached a level of proficiency that a different bowling ball is going to make much difference at all in terms of results. By proficiency, I mean consistency of release and the ability to hit within a reasonable range of the target that you are using. I believe that, should decide to take some lessons from a qualified coach, you will most probably decide to switch to a fingertip grip (it's not just a coincidence that virtually every bowler who is even halfway serious about the game uses a fingertip grip today), and you will reach a level where a different bowling ball will actually make a difference to you.

samdasham
11-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Thanks again for taking your time and sharing your experience/expertise. I can appreciate the fingertip style as being dominant/preferred/superior in allowing 6* of window into the pocket. As a product of the 50's I'm just not interested in that style of delivery. I'm comfortable as is though I wish to attempt to improve. I figured the old Brunswick Eclipse from 1999 was an area that could be enhanced w/modern ball(s).

ETA: I bowl twice a week for 20 odd games a week. I consider it as an alternate to a gym. I like hurling hard. W/short arms I find speed easier w/straight/broken wrist. I don't even try to cup the ball. However, it allows me to reach high 17's low 18's.

So, I'm kinda like a spinner/UFO type in that I do twist my forearm for spin. However, I do not throw light or plastic balls from anywhere near the center of the lane. I'm right handed & back up in the right corner. I know 1.87* is the max for a straight bowler. So, I improvise w/bit of a spin. Still, I'm releasing the ball w/holes staring at me instead of on the side as a fingertip bowler.

I'm not sure how a driller will accommodate my style. I wish to take advantage of the little spin I impart.

ETA: Since I purchased some Track blanks I contacted them and had a discussion w/gent from Ebonite International. He encouraged me to plug and drill the old ball prior to tackling the track models. Made sense and at one point I'd planned to do that, but talked myself out of the notion. It was easy advice to accept as it made sense. Get a feel of a ball drilled for me before attempting to determine what drilling I may need in a newer offering.

So, I buckled under peer pressure and went w/2nd digit fingertip w/insert, third digit shallow no insert max reverse pitch w/SE conventional drilling combo platter. Should be interesting and if nothing else provides options.