PDA

View Full Version : When you buy a new bowling ball...

RobLV1
12-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Do you use it in league before practicing with it? Why or why not.

dnhoffman
12-06-2014, 07:19 PM
No way, always want to throw a couple games with it before the team is counting on my score.

fortheloveofbowling
12-06-2014, 07:38 PM
I always try to get 12-15 games on a new ball before i use it in any competition. Basically, i just do that to get a good feel for the motion on different angles. I always know what layout i'm going to have my ball driller put on it and what i want it to do. It doesn't always turn out the way i want unfortunately.

striker12
12-06-2014, 07:46 PM
when I buy a new ball just like I did today, I had him drill it up yesterday for me. got it today fitted and went out there and started to throw the ball and did actually really good.

I missed practice at the start from having to adjust the size in the fingers. he had to go to his back stash of finger grips he has to find one for my middle finger he didn't have any left on his rack. but when I started bowling with it I did my 1st throw and right after that shot I knew where to stand just had to do alittle adjusting from that point was able to get games of 208-215-156 the last game I had a lot of bad breaks and 4 splits.

bowl1820
12-06-2014, 08:54 PM

I always try to get at least a few games in before using a new one in league.

To check on the fit, just in case there are any issues and to get a idea of just how it rolls on the lanes here. Though I know on league night it will be different on the fresh conditions.

Hammer
12-06-2014, 09:00 PM
I think that it is a good idea to put a few games on a new ball so it establishes somewhat of a track that coincides with the type of release you have before you start using it in league games. You have to get some kind of idea how the ball is going to work for you. If you use it right off the bat you might get frustrated trying to figure out how to target to get it to the pocket consistantly. Using it in practice will let you know if you have to do a surface adjustment on it or not.

J Anderson
12-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Usually try to get a game or two of practice with it, so I have a better idea of how it rolls in relation to the other balls that I use.

Aslan
12-06-2014, 11:15 PM

No.

What ball I start with is determined by what ball hooks soonest. While I'd have some 'idea' of whether the new ball hooks earlier/later…I won't know for sure until I've had some time to throw it.

I wasn't even going to use my Bullet Train during the lesson the day after I had it drilled…but the coach wanted to look at my arsenal and system and encouraged me to use the new ball. Otherwise…I'd have practiced at least a few games with it first.

YODA
12-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I never use a ball in league without throwing at least 10 games with it... Its just me but thats the way my uncle was, my mom and my grandma, so I just got used to doing what they do :)

MICHAEL
12-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Icegod, only knows one person that ever bowled in league with a new ball, before trying it out!! That person never existed!

vdubtx
12-07-2014, 05:56 PM
I always get some practice games on a new ball to see what it can do and how it does it differently than my current arsenal. What good is a new ball if you don't know how it fits in and when to go to it with what is happening on the lanes.

MICHAEL
12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Rob,,, common sense, no good reason NOT to try a ball out before using it in a league! Surely you don't!!! :rolleyes: I know the new balls don't last as long as in Mike Whites days, but surely a spin before used in league should be in order! ;)

dnhoffman
12-07-2014, 09:54 PM
No.

What ball I start with is determined by what ball hooks soonest.

I have this hilarious picture in my mind of you pulling out a 5-ball arsenal to test "hook" on a fresh THS.

rv driver
12-07-2014, 10:43 PM
I have this hilarious picture in my mind of you pulling out a 5-ball arsenal to test "hook" on a fresh THS.
I can see him huffing and puffing, pulling two 6-ball Storm rollers into the bowling alley. Then comes the retinue: publicist, ball tech, lane coach, personal trainer, massage therapist, chaplain and drink girl.

Aslan
12-07-2014, 10:49 PM

I have a hilarious picture in my head of you getting impaled by an elephant tusk. Not in a violent way. Just, in a humorous way.

[PICTURE PRE-DELETED SO BOWL1820 DOESNT YELL AT ME]

And I figure out what ball hooks soonest IN PRACTICE. Thus, I can't just buy a ball and start using it…because I haven't PRACTICED with it yet.

http://blog.brothatech.com/readit/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Allen-Iverson_Practice.png

Mike White
12-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Icegod, only knows one person that ever bowled in league with a new ball, before trying it out!! That person never existed!

When I switched from playing Resin with a weak hand, to Plastic with a strong hand, it became clear I needed something with a bit more bite than plastic.

I drilled up the Polar Ice (urethane) and used it without practice. I didn't shoot 300 the first night with it, but I did within a couple of weeks.

I spend all day at the bowling alley working, who has time to practice.

rv driver
12-07-2014, 11:57 PM
When I switched from playing Resin with a weak hand, to Plastic with a strong hand, it became clear I needed something with a bit more bite than plastic.

I drilled up the Polar Ice (urethane) and used it without practice. I didn't shoot 300 the first night with it, but I did within a couple of weeks.

I spend all day at the bowling alley working, who has time to practice.
You're supposed to practice while ignoring the customers. That's what one guy did at one of my old houses.

larry mc
12-08-2014, 01:40 AM
use it righ after i get it leagur or no,,,, threw my first 300 2nd game league with a ball i got 10 mins before league staeted walkwe 13.8

larry mc
12-08-2014, 03:16 AM
use it righ after i get it leagur or no,,,, threw my first 300 2nd game league with a ball i got 10 mins before league staeted walkwe 13.8

Perrin
12-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I'll always throw it at least a few times after I get it drilled to make sure it fits my hand properly and all that. I usually use that time to also figure out what lines it works on and a general feel of the ball motion.

after that it's game on :D

ALazySavage
12-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Typically when I get a new bowling ball I do not have a full practice before bowling in league. After I receive the new ball I will throw 3-5 shots with the new ball up the track just to make sure that the span, pitch, and fingertips feel correct but after that I will put the ball away for league. My thinking for this is that by not using the ball before a league session I get to somewhat mimic a tournament situation. This provides me with only warm-up to figure out how the ball will match the current pattern (essentially changing the variable from the oil condition to the bowling ball). Thus I can go through some of the same struggles that one may encounter during a tournament session; reading an unfamiliar line, seeing a different type of lane breakdown, etc. Exception to this would be sport shot leagues (because they provide more of a challenge already) and position round (because explaining this to teammates may not be good).

circlecity
12-08-2014, 02:24 PM
I try to throw some games with it before league. Worst case I throw it on my Monday league which is almost my practice league anyhoo before my serious league.

Stormed1
12-10-2014, 09:50 AM
I do it a lot. Using IT's I don't worry about fit and I have a good idea of expected ball reaction before I throw it.I drilled up 2 balls Sunday night and threw them this Monday in league. The First ball (Reax Pearl) was too strong as I expected but I threw it anyway. The second ball (Manic) fit right where I expected it. Struggled with spares in first 2 games as the lane took a chunk out of my thumb on my spare ball.

manke
12-10-2014, 10:13 AM
My personel opion is if you are a good bowler you can pick up a new ball and figure it out pretty quick. So if you throw it in practice you get before bowling starts that should be enough time, but if you are a lower average bowler you need to throw a couple of games with it before you use it in league.

circlecity
12-10-2014, 11:48 AM
My personel opion is if you are a good bowler you can pick up a new ball and figure it out pretty quick. So if you throw it in practice you get before bowling starts that should be enough time, but if you are a lower average bowler you need to throw a couple of games with it before you use it in league.

probably true...

Mudpuppy
12-10-2014, 11:49 AM

I try to throw at least 3 games practice with it before I throw it in the league but that is not always the case. My last 3 balls I have just brought out on league night. Usually takes 2-3 weeks for them to break in and be consistent (or maybe me to be consistent)

Cdolcejr
12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Generally, no I don't use a new ball in league before practicing with it. For me it all depends on the ball. For instance, I usually throw a Columbia 300 Freeze and bought a Freeze Hybrid for when the lanes burn up. The ball is drilled the same way as the Freeze so in this case I was able to throw it in league before actually practicing with it. I need to have confidence that the ball I am throwing will do exactly what I need it to. To gain that confidence, usually I have to practice a lot to learn the ins and out's, do's and don'ts. For example, I bought a Karma Urethane ball back in 2012 for super dry lanes that I see in one particular house on a 2nd shift. I rarely threw it in league because I didn't fully know how to use it (since urethane is a different reaction). Fast forward to 2014. I've been practicing with the ball and have gained confidence. I now throw it in league every week and know when to pull it out.

mc_runner
12-11-2014, 11:15 AM
I always practice before throwing in league. If nothing else than to get used to the slight difference in feel in the new ball.

RobLV1
12-11-2014, 11:39 AM
I always practice before throwing in league. If nothing else than to get used to the slight difference in feel in the new ball.

If you always use the same driller, you shouldn't have any difference in the feel of a new ball. If you do use the same driller all the time and feel slight differences from ball to ball, it's time to find a new driller IMHO.

Amyers
12-11-2014, 11:52 AM
If you always use the same driller, you shouldn't have any difference in the feel of a new ball. If you do use the same driller all the time and feel slight differences from ball to ball, it's time to find a new driller IMHO.

At the very least the thumb hole on every ball is slightly different unless you are using IT system. It is impossible to bevel a hole and use a sander and get exactly the same feel from ball to ball. I guarantee you that you could blind fold me and bring my balls over one by one and I could stick my hand in it and tell you which ball it was site unseen. Span same, pitches same, grips same but the thumb is always slightly different.

mc_runner
12-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Span is always the same, but if my old ball has slightly worn fingertip inserts for example, it has a little bit different feel.

I actually went to a different driller for the LT-48 I won, and he supposedly used the same span/measurements but it was just... bad. Very different feel, thumb needed to be widened TWICE, etc... so I'll be going back to my regular guy.

RobLV1
12-11-2014, 12:41 PM
At the very least the thumb hole on every ball is slightly different unless you are using IT system. It is impossible to bevel a hole and use a sander and get exactly the same feel from ball to ball. I guarantee you that you could blind fold me and bring my balls over one by one and I could stick my hand in it and tell you which ball it was site unseen. Span same, pitches same, grips same but the thumb is always slightly different.

Personally I don't use a removeable thumb slug, and the 19 bowling balls I currently own feel exactly the same. Each has one piece of white tape because I like the way it feels, and I can call my ball driller, order a ball, tell him the layout that I want, and throw it with no adjustments at all. He is now the 4th driller that I have used exclusively over the past 15 years, and every one of them could do the same. When I first moved to Vegas, I used a driller in California who I would call to place an order and he would ship the ball to me drilled perfectly. Again, if your driller can't duplicate your drilling exactly, it's time to find a new driller.

Amyers
12-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Personally I don't use a removeable thumb slug, and the 19 bowling balls I currently own feel exactly the same. Each has one piece of white tape because I like the way it feels, and I can call my ball driller, order a ball, tell him the layout that I want, and throw it with no adjustments at all. He is now the 4th driller that I have used exclusively over the past 15 years, and every one of them could do the same. When I first moved to Vegas, I used a driller in California who I would call to place an order and he would ship the ball to me drilled perfectly. Again, if your driller can't duplicate your drilling exactly, it's time to find a new driller.

Well I'll give you that you are more experienced than I with getting more bowling balls. I haven't owned 19 in my entire life. You may also have access to better drillers in Las Vegas than I do in WV. I have had four balls drilled or re-drilled in the last 12 months and I can tell the difference between each one and I do have varying amounts of tape in each. I will ask around at my league I know some of the others use different proshops and see if they see the same thing.

Sourtower
12-11-2014, 02:51 PM
I always like to throw a few practice games with any new bowling ball I get. If anything it's just for me to get comfortable with throwing it. Plus I'll understand where the ball fits in comparison to my other bowling balls, and when the oil breaks down I'll know which ball is begging to be thrown next. I also name my bowling balls. Sounds dumb but everyone has their own thing lol...

Zero Gravity - Zoey
Deadly Aim - Amy
Black Widow Legend - Lea
Black Widow Assassin - Sassy

dnhoffman
12-16-2014, 10:44 AM
I can see him huffing and puffing, pulling two 6-ball Storm rollers into the bowling alley. Then comes the retinue: publicist, ball tech, lane coach, personal trainer, massage therapist, chaplain and drink girl.

Don't forget the Sherpa needed to carry that THS arsenal up the mountain.

Mudpuppy
12-16-2014, 11:20 AM
I always like to throw a few practice games with any new bowling ball I get. If anything it's just for me to get comfortable with throwing it. Plus I'll understand where the ball fits in comparison to my other bowling balls, and when the oil breaks down I'll know which ball is begging to be thrown next. I also name my bowling balls. Sounds dumb but everyone has their own thing lol...

Zero Gravity - Zoey
Deadly Aim - Amy
Black Widow Legend - Lea

My problem with this for me anyways is the open bowling oil is vastly different than THS oil for the league. So I can practice 1,000 games and it doesn't show me anything. The league shot is so different. In open bowling it is random oil from 30 kids 8 years old banging 6 # balls off a bumper or no oil or 10 rec bowlers throwing straight house balls inconsistently all over the lane. MWhite's theory of riding the wall of oil with a resin ball does not apply.

Mike White
12-16-2014, 04:17 PM
My problem with this for me anyways is the open bowling oil is vastly different than THS oil for the league. So I can practice 1,000 games and it doesn't show me anything. The league shot is so different. In open bowling it is random oil from 30 kids 8 years old banging 6 # balls off a bumper or no oil or 10 rec bowlers throwing straight house balls inconsistently all over the lane. MWhite's theory of riding the wall of oil with a resin ball does not apply.

Yeah those bumper bowlers sure can destroy your stencil.

They don't remove the wall of oil, they move oil out into the area that you need to be dry.

Aslan
12-16-2014, 07:54 PM

But what if you and your ball driller are on the outs? Like, maybe he showed up at your tournament and jinxed you into throwing a gutter ball...first open frame in 13 frames...??? :eek:

Totally hypothetical question of course. :p

Aslan
12-16-2014, 07:56 PM
I also name my bowling balls.

Zero Gravity - Zoey
Deadly Aim - Amy
Black Widow Legend - Lea

Thats creepy.

Not sure "how" creepy...probably somewhere between having a doll collection and hanging out on elementary school playgrounds. Somewhere in that "range".

If I were to name my bowling balls they'd be:

- God DAMMit!!
- Great I dropped it.
- Well, you're useless..
- Why did I even buy you?
and
- Really? Right again?

Mike White
12-16-2014, 08:20 PM
But what if you and your ball driller are on the outs? Like, maybe he showed up at your tournament and jinxed you into throwing a gutter ball...first open frame in 13 frames...??? :eek:

Totally hypothetical question of course. :p

And hypothetically you miss winning the tournament (your division) by about 140 pins, yet you focus on that one shot.

Amyers
12-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Thats creepy.

Not sure "how" creepy...probably somewhere between having a doll collection and hanging out on elementary school playgrounds. Somewhere in that "range".

- God DAMMit!!
- Great I dropped it.
- Well, you're useless..
and
- Really? Right again?

This coming from the guy who takes his balls out and puts them on the bed to take pictures of them

Mudpuppy
12-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Yeah those bumper bowlers sure can destroy your stencil.

They don't remove the wall of oil, they move oil out into the area that you need to be dry.

Good point almighty Mr. White. I am just wondering since you know this secret to stenciling, spray painting and riding the wall of oil why aren't you bowling 900 series every time you bowl? It's so easy right? Simple.

Thats creepy.

- God DAMMit!!
- Great I dropped it.
- Well, you're useless..
and
- Really? Right again?

You forgot:

JESUS CHRIST!

This coming from the guy who takes his balls out and puts them on the bed to take pictures of them

This thread is so full of win, lol. Great point Amyers and super funny, I lmao