PDA

View Full Version : Taking a little surface off a ball

MattRagle
12-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Okay so I just purchased a new(old stock) Track 607a/se and I'm wanting to taking a little surface off the ball because it isn't reacting like I'd like to see. Pin is off the right side and a little up from my ring finger(right handed) and I'm wanting to add some back-end to the ball without drilling a different layout. Planning on doing this myself because you gotta learn somewhere right? Ball is currently in an OOB finish which is a 2000 abralon then polished. I plan on using 500-1000-2000 and no polish, anyone who has experience with doing this I would appreciate your opinions I've just gotten back into bowling after about 10 years away from the sport so don't think of me as a beginner wanting to frankenstein my ball, I have some knowledge as to what I'm doing I've just never done it. Sorry about the long post just trying to be as thorough as possible.

J Anderson
12-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Okay so I just purchased a new(old stock) Track 607a/se and I'm wanting to taking a little surface off the ball because it isn't reacting like I'd like to see. Pin is off the right side and a little up from my ring finger(right handed) and I'm wanting to add some back-end to the ball without drilling a different layout. Planning on doing this myself because you gotta learn somewhere right? Ball is currently in an OOB finish which is a 2000 abralon then polished. I plan on using 500-1000-2000 and no polish, anyone who has experience with doing this I would appreciate your opinions I've just gotten back into bowling after about 10 years away from the sport so don't think of me as a beginner wanting to frankenstein my ball, I have some knowledge as to what I'm doing I've just never done it. Sorry about the long post just trying to be as thorough as possible.

To me, " taking a little surface off the ball" means making it smoother. It seems t me that going from 2000 abralon then polished to 500-1000-2000 and no polish would make the surface rougher.

RobLV1
12-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Before you completely resurface the ball, I would suggest just adding a little surface over the polish to give you some idea of where you want to be. Start with 4000 and work your way down as needed. J Anderson is right, by the way; since the final step on the ball is polish, then hitting it with any pad is adding surface, not taking it away. If the ball was 2000 abralon without polish, then hitting it with 3000 or 4000 would be taking surface off the ball.

Since you are looking for more back end, I really don't think that adding surface is going to give you what you want. A polished surface reacts more to friction and slides more in the oil. Since there is no oil past the pattern (back end), the polish should give you more back end, not less. If you don't already have one, you might consider having a balance hole drilled on the VAL, down from your PAP to increase the back end reaction. Talk to your PSO and have him/her take a look at the reaction that you are getting.

bowl1820
12-07-2014, 08:30 AM
The Track 607/A Special Edition which is a pearl, has a O.O.B. of 500/1000/2000/2000 Abralon Polished w/Powerhouse Factory Finish Polish

Going to a 500/1000/2000 should would make it slightly earlier.