PDA

View Full Version : how do i read a lane?

britjeff
12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
how do i read the patern on a lane? is it somethng i can see or do you just feel it? also is ther somewher i can get explanations os bowling terms? im a very newbie so any help would be cool.
jeff

Perrin
12-11-2014, 04:45 PM
For the most part reading a lane is a combination of observed reaction when you throw the ball and feel.
Or if you ask the bowling alley they are usually more than willing to either show you the pattern or at least tell you what it is. Depending on how you throw the ball will determine how to play each pattern.

There are a lot of places to pickup terminology.
Bowlingball.com's Bowlversity has quite a bit of information
http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/
or bowlingchat.net's wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net

ralphs007
12-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks ! This is a gold mine of information.

britjeff
12-12-2014, 05:04 PM
cheers that is great, hate feeling like i dont know whats going on. or what i am talking about

britjeff
12-12-2014, 05:08 PM
are there any real paper magazines i can get? i know it will be a hassle as a think most of them will be in the states, but it would be cool toread and re read things at work.

Amyers
12-13-2014, 07:59 AM
I don't think there are any real paper magazines left but you can get bowling this month. it's about $30 dollars a year and a good investment if you plan to try to be a higher level bowler. Rob that is on this board authors some of the articles very good read.

britjeff
12-13-2014, 08:36 AM
thanks amyers, didnt think there would be one. ill have a look at bowling this month.

fortheloveofbowling
12-13-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't think there are any real paper magazines left but you can get bowling this month. it's about $30 dollars a year and a good investment if you plan to try to be a higher level bowler. Rob that is on this board authors some of the articles very good read.

Bowlers Journal is still in print. I have been a subscriber to that magazine for almost 25 years.

RobLV1
12-13-2014, 07:00 PM
I also have my own website with several articles about lane adjustments, the physical game, and bowling balls. Feel free to take a look and email me at Robbob5@embarqmail.com with questions.

Rob Mautner