PDA

View Full Version : what are bowling styles?

britjeff
12-11-2014, 03:53 PM
what are bowling styles? when i was filling out my profile it gave me a load of options. i'm right hnded and have a three step aproach.
jeff

ALazySavage
12-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Essentially it would either be stroker, tweener, or cranker:

Stroker - Typically a low rev bowler who's game focuses more on being smooth through the shot (old school bowlers - <250 revs)
Cranker - High Rev bowler (>400 revs), think of someone who throws with a lot of power and motion
Tweener - In between these two.

britjeff
12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
cheers savage. think i am in themiddle somewhere. was heavning the ball down, but now have slowed it down and getting better scores

RobLV1
12-12-2014, 09:26 PM
If you don't mind a suggestion, it seems that you are fairly new to bowling. Bowling is based on four steps, regardless of how many steps the bowler actually takes. I can tell you that, as a coach, there is nothing more difficult to do than to get a bowler away from three steps, once it is ingrained in them. If I were you, I'd find a qualified coach now, as a beginner, who can help you to develop a sound fundamental game. It will be easy now, and will be much more difficult later.

Doghouse Reilly
12-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Now this how "Bowling This Month" defined them.

Stroker: is a more traditionally styled player with adequate speed and a rev rate that gets the job done. This type of player frequently play further outside on the lane than a high rev player. Example: Norm Duke and Mika Koivunieml

Tweener: A tweener is a player who's not quite a stroker and not quite a cranker, often called Power Stroker. They have a fairly high rev rate and good speed. Example: Chris Barnes and Bill O'neil

Cranker: is generally considered to be a player with high speed and and a fairly high rev rate. Example: Sean Rash and Tommy Jones

But now Stroker, Tweener and Cranker are more just defined by your rev rate.

These are just approximations and others might say a little different number.
Stroker: 250 to 325 rev rate
Tweener: 325 to 385 rev rate
Cranker: 400 to 500 rev rate

One thing about rev rates, a lot people think their rev rate is a lot higher than it is in reality.

britjeff
12-13-2014, 01:46 AM
If you don't mind a suggestion, it seems that you are fairly new to bowling. Bowling is based on four steps, regardless of how many steps the bowler actually takes. I can tell you that, as a coach, there is nothing more difficult to do than to get a bowler away from three steps, once it is ingrained in them. If I were you, I'd find a qualified coach now, as a beginner, who can help you to develop a sound fundamental game. It will be easy now, and will be much more difficult later.

thanks rob. a friend of mine who is a good bowler is helping me with my game.a coch would be great, but we dont really have them where i am. wish i lived in the states where bowling is a bigger sport