PDA

View Full Version : who are good bowlers to watch?

britjeff
12-15-2014, 01:56 AM
guys,and gals, who are good bowlers to watch on youtube? as a newbie i dont know anyone and would like to watch some good matches, if thats the right term. love watching the trick shot vids, but a lot seem to be the same video.

Hendu71
12-15-2014, 10:35 AM
For entertainment, or technique?

Shaneshu87
12-15-2014, 10:39 AM
belmo's is pretty entertaining to watch, he is very animated when he bowls, but depending on what your looking for, like technique or approach, study a bowler who bowls like you, or like how you want to bowl. im a self taught bowler and all i did was watch hundreds of hours of Chris Barnes and did my best to imitate it.

Hendu71
12-15-2014, 10:48 AM
For technique, I really like this video. It has slow mo releases of many of the top players today. You can probably find one that is similar to your physique and stature too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZNVJql7hH8

But for entertainment, it really doesn't matter to me. I just like to watch people bowl. Just look up PBA Bowling on youtube.

Aslan
12-15-2014, 12:20 PM
For entertainment, or technique?

Exactly.

For Entertainment...the best bowler in the history of the sport...Walter Ray Williams. Or maybe you go back in time and watch some of the old guys like Roth or Holman or Schlegel.

For TECHNIQUE...it depends on your technique. For a lefty, I'd say Parker Bohn. For a righty, Chris Barnes is generally considered to be the gold standard concerning 'form'. Mike Fagan has great form. If you're already advanced...a Rash or Tackett have some very powerful releases.

I have ZERO idea why you'd watch Belmonte unless you're a 2-handed bowler. I mean, maybe for entretainment...I just don't find him entertaining...but many do.

britjeff
12-15-2014, 01:26 PM
bit of both really, but for my sins i do like watching belmonte. still cant work out how you can bowl two handed. tech would be better. going to try and have a look chris barnes, but i do like the daft vids.

fortheloveofbowling
12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Watch David Ozio. Probably the best form and timing i've ever seen.

Aslan
12-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Watch David Ozio. Probably the best form and timing i've ever seen.

Oooo...yeah. Thats another good one in terms of form.

YODA
12-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Walter Ray, Jason Belmonte on the mens side.., and I personally like Shannon O Keefe and Clara Guerrero on the womens side :) :)

got_a_300
12-16-2014, 12:33 AM
Has everyone forgotten about Brian Voss he was one of the
most consistent bowlers back in the 80's and 90's and even
in the present though you don't see him as much anymore.

If you want to have a smooth stroker type of approach then
he's your man to watch and learn from.

RobLV1
12-16-2014, 08:48 AM
It's interesting that many of the players that you are choosing are traditional players. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, much of the traditional style is actually adverse to what is necessary to modern bowling. Timing, posture, release, and release timing have all changed considerably to accommodate modern equipment and synthetic lane surfaces. If you are a traditional-style bowler who is looking to modernize your game, there are no better examples among today's pros than Chris Barnes and Sean Rash. Both started with traditional games, Barnes with a lift and turn style and Rash with a turn and lift style, and have adapted very successfully to modern conditions. If you are just starting out, however, you would be much better off watching some of the young power players who grew up in the modern environment: EJ Tackett, Dick Allen, for example, or some of the foreign players like Stu Williams and Dom Barrett.

dnhoffman
12-16-2014, 10:45 AM
For entertainment... Um... I'm watching women's bowling (Shannon O'Keefe, hey gurrrl).

For technique? Chris Barnes all day buddy.

Aslan
12-16-2014, 07:10 PM
If you are a traditional-style bowler who is looking to modernize your game, there are no better examples among today's pros than Chris Barnes and Sean Rash.

I said Chris Barnes!! Yeah Me!! I also said Sean Rash...I just think Rash is harder to emulate than Barnes. Kinda like a Fagan or a Tackett...Rash has a nearly perfect stroke...but it's hard to emulate that kind of power.

For entertainment... Um... I'm watching women's bowling (Shannon O'Keefe, hey gurrrl).

For technique? Chris Barnes all day buddy.

Again...I SAID Chris Barnes already! Wait...did dhoff just AGREE with me??? OoOOoooooo!!!

I like the ladies too. For more than just the obvious reasons. They just have very technically sound approaches and for a traditional bowler...it's hard to find newer players that are still bowling that way. Their balls don't "hook the lane" or have some angular crazy snap at the end...but it's more like what I'm gonna see when I throw the ball. Like it or not...a lot of us throw the ball like girls!!

But yes...when it comes to "obvious reasons"...Diana Z...heads and tails...smoking hot! Damn you Dave Wodka! Also like Shannon O'Keefe...Ashly Galante...Danielle McEwan...Missy Parkin...all easy on the eyes!! Ahhh...to be 25 again! Or massively wealthy...

mike_thomas93
12-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Anybody watch today's PBA viper championship where mika just win?

mike_thomas93
12-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah. Ronnie Russell's another bowler to watch too. Especially in the WSOB

fortheloveofbowling
12-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Oh yeah. Ronnie Russell's another bowler to watch too. Especially in the WSOB

Just ignore the height of the back swing and the wrist action at the top. Fun to watch and very effective but i'm not sure anyone would teach it.

fortheloveofbowling
12-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Anybody watch today's PBA viper championship where mika just win?

Yeah, that was a really interesting show with the different approaches to lane play and equipment. Glad Mika won and felt bad for Dom.

foreverincamo
12-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Feel bad for Dom Barret throwing a 121 . He went with the urethane Pitch Black and couldn't stop going through the nose. Then he moved inside and kept going light. Tough day. Tough conditions. Congrats Mika!

mike_thomas93
12-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Yeah that was tough to see. It was 126 actually. Still something you don't see very much out of any pro

mike_thomas93
12-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Yeah I agree. Having that high of a back swing can be risky. Could easily pull something. Dislocate the shoulder, etc.

mike_thomas93
12-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Honestly I said Russell from the fact that randy mentioned him as possibly the hottest player in the wsob. :p I could be wrong though

mike_thomas93
12-21-2014, 11:34 PM
And that's only from the fact that he made Luke 3 TV shows this wsob. The only from today and the next couple still to come

mike_thomas93
12-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Sorry, I meant to say like, not Luke. Touch screen typing for ya smh