PDA

View Full Version : Shallow finger holes

MattRagle
12-15-2014, 05:21 PM
I was watching a ball review a few weeks ago and noticed that the finger holes on one ball were very shallow to accommodate a shallow fingertip grip (looked like only the pad rested in the ball), Does anyone have any experience with this type of drilling? I have forgotten what review it was and I'm trying to find it now, any help would be appreciated I tried using Google to find it but came up with nothing close to what I'm looking for. I do know that it was a bowlingball.com review.

fortheloveofbowling
12-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Sometimes a ball driller may drill the fingers at different levels to adjust the static weights to make the ball legal.

MattRagle
12-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah but what i'm talking about doesn't even make it through the coverstock.

fortheloveofbowling
12-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Yeah but what i'm talking about doesn't even make it through the coverstock.

Ok, huh i have never seen anything like that before.

bowl1820
12-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Without seeing just what you saw, the only two things that come to mind are.

1- A Mill hole/mark it's a 1/8" deep hole used for inspection purposes. Typically it's right above the finger holes.

2- It could just be a indentation for gripping purposes that, that particular bowler uses. Most of the time you'll see some bowlers who have a little "dent" they can lay their pinky finger in next to the regular fingerholes. So it my be something along those lines.

MattRagle
12-15-2014, 09:51 PM
The holes were being used for the ring and middle fingers and the bowler was using it this way, I'm still trying to find the video and if I manage to find it I'll share it on here so you guys can take a look at it.

bowl1820
12-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Then their just indentations for gripping purposes instead of holes.

I'll take guess he was probably bowling thumbless and just has those for getting a little bit of grip.

Not very common and not something everyone needs to run out and worry about trying.

MattRagle
12-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Guy was a tweener and using his thumb, I don't want to try it but I'd like to know what the benefits are because I have never seen anything like it.

rv driver
12-15-2014, 11:49 PM
I've often wondered why they drill fingertip holes the same depth as conventional holes. If you're only sticking your fingertips in, you don't need a full-blown hole, do you?

bowl1820
12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
I've often wondered why they drill fingertip holes the same depth as conventional holes. If you're only sticking your fingertips in, you don't need a full-blown hole, do you?

They don't drill fingertip holes the same depth as conventional holes.

Typically fingertip holes are 1.75" if your using grips, A 1" if no grips.

Thumb holes are as deep as they need to be, but they are usually around 2"-2.5".

Now if the PSO needs to remove some weight, they my drill the holes deeper if needed.