PDA

View Full Version : Annoying problem on this site......

Hammer
12-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Here are the things that happen when I am on this site. First, there are certain words that are highlighted a light yellow and double underlined. If I go across these words a green circle starts spinning like it is getting ready to sync up with something. When it stops spinning an add pops up with some kind of advertising. This can happen with more then a few words on whatever page I click on here. Also if I click to see a post a page pops up with an orange border that goes over the bowlingboards.com page and when that happens a Norton Anti-virus warning pops up at the lower right corner of my computer page that said it blocked an attack by Malvertisement Website-Redirect 3 or Fake App Attack. No matter what I click on on this site this happens quite often. These things are really a pain you know where. Has anyone else here had this problem?

striker12
12-17-2014, 12:00 AM
ohh you have something on your web browser that is causing this use to happen to me but I deleted a few things off my web browser it disappeared I don't know witch one it is

Shaneshu87
12-17-2014, 12:02 AM
i have the word issue and it is quite annoying, i run avast so i've never had the pop-up issue, it just shuts down all pop-ups before they can even pop lol love my avast

bowl1820
12-17-2014, 01:01 AM
I've never ran across these issues before on here.

If you have a second browser, you might try it and see if it happen on it.
Also try running your browser in safe mode with all plug disabled to see what happens.

Also run a virus scan of your system.

white_rabbitt
12-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Yes, this is definitely not an issue w/ this site. Like others have said, it's more than likely an issue w/ your browser. (a plug-in, setting, or virus)

I'd imagine you'd see this issue on other sites or message boards?

vdubtx
12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Get an ad blocker on your browser. I use Chrome with ad blocker and never see any ads or ad links when I am browsing.

bowl1820
12-17-2014, 11:59 AM
What I've found so far:

1- The "I click to see a post a page pops up with an orange border." etc.etc.
This I don't know what it is, I can't reproduce it.

2-The "certain words that are highlighted a light yellow and double underlined."
This maybe caused by "Skimword" which the site uses. SkimWord looks for keywords and recognizing a product reference in the post text turns them into affiliate links.

3- The "If I go across these words a green circle starts spinning like it is getting ready to sync up with something. When it stops spinning an add pops up with some kind of advertising"
I don't see this happening here.

In my browser (Firefox) the keywords like Norton Anti-virus in your post, are in a light blue color and if I hover my cursor over it a underline appears and a little notice will say "Shopping Link added by Skimwords".

Now depending on what browser you have it my be different.

This is mostly informational for those reading this topic:

The use of in-text advertising is very common. Kontera and Vibrant are two of the more popular advertising networks that provide in-text advertising and information services.

The double-underlined word is actually a keyword embedded within text of a web page. The keyword is intended to provide consumers with information that is related to what they are reading. When hovering your mouse over this keyword, a pop up ad is displayed with a preview of the ad the text links to. Sometimes the words may appear in various colors such as blue or green with only a single underline. This process works by allowing webmasters to insert JavaScript code into web pages that displays relevant advertisements from an inventory of advertisers. This script scans a web page and dynamically modifies keywords an advertiser has targeted on the page and double-underlines them.

In-text advertising is a form of contextual advertising commonly used to promote business and generate revenue to offset the cost of maintaining a web site each time a website visitor clicks on an in-text ad. Advertisements from in-text ads also help to generate targeted traffic to a website and improve their natural search engine ranking.