PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for your thumb to "vacuum"?

Hendu71
12-17-2014, 10:44 AM
I was thinking it was, because I've heard an audible "pop" noise with pro players. But given that my release doesn't feel that great I'm starting to wonder.

RobLV1
12-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Very few pros create an audible pop when their thumbs exit the ball. Those that do use very tight thumb holes. Don't worry about how it sounds, worry about how it works. You shouldn't have to force your thumb out of the ball, but the ball shouldn't fall off of your thumb either. Have your PSO take a look and check the pitches in the thumb hole. It sounds like they might need some tweaking.

bowl1820
12-17-2014, 12:39 PM
If your saying your getting a ""vacuum pop" then Go to the proshop and have them run the sander down the hole a little bit. It Should open it just enough to break the "vacuum" and stop it.

but if you think your grip is off, do like rob said and have your grip checked.

bobforsaken
12-20-2014, 08:06 AM
My thumb doesn't pop.. but my fingers do often... Not sure if that is normal, but maybe that is the Pop you hear.

foreverincamo
12-21-2014, 03:26 PM
I have days where my thumb pops but the release is still clean. It's legal to have a tiny hole drilled through the side of the thumb hole to release the vacuum. Look into that at your pro shop

Hendu71
12-22-2014, 10:05 AM
My thumb doesn't pop.. but my fingers do often... Not sure if that is normal, but maybe that is the Pop you hear.
You could be right about that. I don't notice a pop off my fingertip plugs but often these pro bowling videos are shot in quiet conditions where that would be more audible.

mike_thomas93
12-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Chris Barnes as an example. Rarely you hear a pop when he let's go since he has a pretty roll generally.