PDA

View Full Version : going to look like a sad sack

britjeff
12-17-2014, 02:14 PM
the mrs is away and i have a week off so tomorrow i'm going to the lanes( a 50 mile round trip), buuuut im going alone, so how can i make a practice session worthwhile. benn practicing a four step approach, usually do a three, going to play at least three games. and do the scores count towards my average? running at 130 so far.
jeff

vdubtx
12-17-2014, 02:17 PM
I like to practice alone. I get the most benefit when I am able to concentrate on each shot and see and feel differences in what I am doing.

Take a camera or your phone and video yourself and watch the videos to compare what you are doing vs. some youtube videos of pro bowlers.

Don't just go practice for score, practice with a purpose. Practice your approach, your form, your release, spares, hitting targets etc.

britjeff
12-17-2014, 02:40 PM
cheers bud, only playing with a straight ball, but need to work on my approach. have to flirt with the sstff and see if they will give me any free games lol

Hendu71
12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
For practice, I'm totally okay being alone. Since you can go through a game VERY fast alone, I'd recommend playing by the hour if possible. This should be much cheaper than per-game. My bowling alley will do 2 hours for 17 bucks, and I can do eight games in that time (they charge $4 a game), but I typically do 5-6, sit down some, spend plenty of time concentrating on my approach, so I don't wear myself out.

vdubtx
12-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Very true on pricing. Fortunately my local centers are under $2 per game before 5pm each week day and on Sundays. I try to go for practice on Sunday mornings before all the birthday parties start up at the center. If I can't get there before, I will go anyway as the distraction of little ones around are good for the concentration. :D

britjeff
12-17-2014, 03:00 PM
lol sound like my local . didnt think anyone would still be up in the states.

britjeff
12-17-2014, 03:06 PM
hendu, they do the same over here. £15 for two hours( think thats about $10 ish) but you have to book it days in advance because of townies . dont know if you have townies in the usa. ( townie, dont work, drink like a fish, take drugs like they are pez nd love to get something free or cheap.
jeff

Hendu71
12-17-2014, 03:14 PM
hendu, they do the same over here. £15 for two hours( think thats about $10 ish) but you have to book it days in advance because of townies . dont know if you have townies in the usa. ( townie, dont work, drink like a fish, take drugs like they are pez nd love to get something free or cheap.
Yeah over here they call them "leagues"

JUST KIDDING :D

Seriously though, it's impossible to practice bowl where I live except for weekends. You can't even book it.

Mudpuppy
12-17-2014, 03:16 PM
...great people don't know what you're about, they put you down and shut you out....

a little Black Sabbath on the headphones never hurt during practice ;)

britjeff
12-17-2014, 03:22 PM
might have to try that, but ac/dc. rock on lol

dnhoffman
12-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Well Jeff, mainly beers and scratchers tickets, that's how...

britjeff
12-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Well Jeff, mainly beers and scratchers tickets, that's how...
you might have to explain that one to me, have read the phrase but neer understood it. the perils of living in the uk and loving American writers. took me ages to work out semester along with schools. but now we are doing the same over here.