PDA

View Full Version : New Teenage Bowler

TJSieling
01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm Taylor, I'm 17 years old, and I just got into bowling. I created a MONSTER when I asked my grandpa about his bowling leagues in Wisconsin before we moved to Indiana. I said I wanted to try bowling, he took me to the bowling alley, and we busted up a few house balls to figure out how I would throw. Turns out I can't throw a conventional ball, I have to use a fingertip, so we went to a store and bought me a decent ball (curse me, can't remember what it is right now), got it drilled...

I'm not exactly the strongest guy in the world, 14 lbs, and i couldn't throw that ball... I was throwing it like I had a conventional ball. Took 2 weeks to figure out how to throw. My average score up until two weeks ago was 80, now, it's 135. The most strikes I've had in one game is 6.

I guess it was a fair turn about. I brought back a monster, and my grandpa created one. He bought a Black Widow, and that thing can FLY.

But that's pretty much my little bowling life right there. :)

The KingPin
01-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Let me start by saying Welcome to BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums / Message Boards!!!

It is an honor to have you here and I am sure you will find the help and information that you need here.

And PLEASE TELL A FRIEND ABOUT US!!!

TJSieling
01-25-2009, 09:35 PM
I'll definitely be sure to let a couple friends know. I might even get my 46 year old grandpa on here with you guys. He's always interested in talking about his bowling.

kev3inp
01-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I'll definitely be sure to let a couple friends know. I might even get my 46 year old grandpa on here with you guys. He's always interested in talking about his bowling.

OMG! He's so old! LOL! Welcome and I hope gramps joins, too. 17, huh? I've got t shirts older than you. ;)

The KingPin
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
OMG! He's so old! LOL! Welcome and I hope gramps joins, too. 17, huh? I've got t shirts older than you. ;)

Wow you keep shirts that long? I have some corduroys pants.

kev3inp
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, they're from concerts and vacations. My little trips down memory lane.

TJSieling
01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
if you're keeping shirts that are older than me, i would think they would be worth some money and stuck in frames and hung on your wall...

Alright... this was this weekends scores... 156-111-186

so officially, 453 is where i'm at right now... I wouldn't think that was too bad seeing as people are happy with 500, which means i'm not too far off.

And with my tax returns this year, i'm going to start pumping a little bit of money into a new ball...

Do you guys recommend grip tape and any kind of glove to wear when you throw?

The KingPin
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
You ask some great questions which I would say you need to ask in a bowling section like General Bowling and such for more replies.

But many may still see it here.

I use release tape and I have used wrist guards in the past. If I may ask, what are your goals that you are wanting to accomplish?

TJSieling
01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
My closest goal is to get my average up between 170 and 200. Seeing my average go from 80 to 135 so quickly, it seems like an accomplishable goal to me.

Any goals after that is what any bowler would want. That 300 ring. If I only get one in my lifetime, I would be happy, and I realize that takes a lot of work and i'm willing to practice.

I'll be sure to experiment with a couple tapes, especially the release tape, but I have to put a grip tape in the thumb hole, I can't hold onto the ball very well without holding it too tight and screwing up my throw a little.

but the thing that will help me get my average up that I cannot get down to save my life is how to pickup those big spares. the 10 pin for example... when that's the only one standing, i try so hard to kill the curve on my ball, but it doesn't help, i always miss it by at least 3 inches on the left or hitting the gutter a foot before the pin.

TJSieling
01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Finally looked at my ball... 14lb Ebonite Magnum blue/gold

not the greatest ball, but it's good enough for what i'm using it for. I'm hoping to aim at a Black Widow or tornado soon.

The KingPin
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Finally looked at my ball... 14lb Ebonite Magnum blue/gold

not the greatest ball, but it's good enough for what i'm using it for. I'm hoping to aim at a Black Widow or tornado soon.

Great choices. Maybe if you have time give a review of your ball in the Ebonite Review section

The Bowling Guru
02-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Hello Taylor. I too am a teenage bowler, and I saw that you are looking into purchasing either a Black Widow or a Tornado in the future. I just wanted to let you know the Tornado is an excellent entry level ball, that comes with a very low price tag, and it might be just what you are looking for to give you a little more pop than your Magnum. While I personally think the Black Widow was one of the best balls ever made, you may find it too be too much ball for you if you are just getting into bowling. I underestimated the ball when I first purchased it, and ended up getting a beast on my hands.

TJSieling
02-13-2009, 11:22 PM
You know, that's REALLY ironic you would say something like that...

My grandpa's black widow was helping get some wicked high scores. It's only 2 lbs heavier than my ball, plus the holes had rubber lining, so it's easy to hold. I asked him if I could throw it a couple times.

I figured it wouldn't have much curve, about as much as my Ebonite would. I was wrong.

I stand between the 2nd and 3rd arrow on the left and throw to the same arrows on the right. The black widow rode down the gutter, you would have sworn I was levitating it ("You ride the gutter like my old buddy Randy," my grandpa would say). It got about within a foot of the headpin and it cut from the right side of the lane all the way to the left and took out the 7 pin... just the 7 pin. I had to really kill my curve to get a decent hit, but it still cut so hard that i only got 3 or 4 pins at a time.

It's a killer ball, but I hope that I can manage that kind of ball.

The Bowling Guru
02-13-2009, 11:32 PM
The ball is alot to handle, especially if you drill it agressively. At first I put the pin right of the ring finger, basically a label drill on it, and it was WAY too much ball for what I was looking for. Ended up plugging and redrilling it pin above bridge, and got a much better reaction; goes long and flips. When the ball only had a few games on it, I was able to play the entire lane with it, but now, it is pretty much the best straight ball ever. It has probably 500-600 games on it, and it just doesn't react for me anymore.

TJSieling
02-13-2009, 11:38 PM
I can't keep a ball straight to save my life... Unless it's a 15lb ball with the holes drilled to fit two of my fingers in it, and that's only because I can't put any curve on it.

Where do you think I could go to look at a Tornado for a little cheaper than you usually see them at?

The Bowling Guru
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
You can pick one up online for about $65, but you are going to have to factor in what it is going to cost you to drill it once you get it. Just for reference, the Tornado is $104 drilled at the pro shop I go to, and drilling a ball you bring in costs $67 with inserts and a thumb slug. So for me, I could spend $104 if I buy it there, or $132 if I buy it online and bring it in to get drilled. However, my pro shop does tend to be a bit overpriced, and I only go there because I have a good relationship with the owner, so I can get some good deals and prices.

The Bowling Guru
02-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Just out of curiosity though: Do you know your ball speed and rev rate? Also what kind of lane conditions do you bowl on? I could advise you on a ball that might benefit you, and how to drill it based on your bowling style.

TJSieling
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Hmmm... specifics? I couldn't tell you that much...

All I know is if the ball is going straight down the line, it curves at about 45 degrees to the left... dunno if that will help you much...

the lane conditions are semi oiled most of the time.

I like using fingertip more than conventional. When I make my approach, I've got two hands on the ball until I have to take my last step and the ball is behind me, then I can put some wicked curve on it.

And I'm rather new to bowling, that's why I got a cheap $50 ball.

The Bowling Guru
02-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Do you put all three fingers in the ball or do you just use two? If you use two it will explain why you are able to curve the ball so much.

TJSieling
02-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Do you put all three fingers in the ball or do you just use two? If you use two it will explain why you are able to curve the ball so much.

No, I use all three fingers. But during my swing, my hand is turned so my fingers are pointed dead left and it's like that until I throw the ball, so that would explain the curve?

The Bowling Guru
02-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I am going to assume you are a lefty by that description, since if you were pointing ur middle and ring fingers dead left and you were a righty, that would be extremely awkard. As you release the ball, do you feel your hand coming around the side of the ball at all, as if you started behind it and then rotated your hand around it?

TJSieling
02-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I am going to assume you are a lefty by that description, since if you were pointing ur middle and ring fingers dead left and you were a righty, that would be extremely awkard. As you release the ball, do you feel your hand coming around the side of the ball at all, as if you started behind it and then rotated your hand around it?

lol I mean when I'm holding the ball in front of me before my approach, (i'm a righty by the way), my hand is turned so that my four fingers are pointing to my left, almost like holding a baby.

When I throw the ball, my hand comes partway around the ball, but I like to get some revs on it more than curve, my curve is already good enough without trying to get it that way.

The Bowling Guru
02-15-2009, 08:54 AM
To hook a Black Widow like you mentioned before, you must have some decent hand in the ball. Would you happen to have a video of you bowling? Maybe on Youtube or something o that nature?

TJSieling
02-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't, no, but I'll see about getting one made here in the near future.

I really appreciate the help, I signed up to this site thinking maybe it would be just professionals bragging about their bowling balls, the new guys sitting in the back and just watching.

I love how the site immediately welcomed me in and made me feel like part of the group.

This site definitely gets a 10/10 from me.

The Bowling Guru
02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
No problem for the help, even though I am struggling a bit to picture your approach. It just isn't clicking in my head for some reason, but a video would definately make all the difference. Then I can really give you some tips and advice.

kev3inp
02-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I really appreciate the help, I signed up to this site thinking maybe it would be just professionals bragging about their bowling balls, the new guys sitting in the back and just watching.

I love how the site immediately welcomed me in and made me feel like part of the group.

This site definitely gets a 10/10 from me.

I'm glad you feel the same way I do. I'm hoping that it never turns into the sites like that. I've been to them, too. We're all pretty normal people, I think. Well, maybe not exactly "normal" but you know what I mean. ;)

TJSieling
02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm glad you feel the same way I do. I'm hoping that it never turns into the sites like that. I've been to them, too. We're all pretty normal people, I think. Well, maybe not exactly "normal" but you know what I mean. ;)

I have a saying about the word "normal".

Normal is a setting on a dishwasher, not a person.

So NO ONE is "normal" no matter how hard they try to be.

The KingPin
02-20-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a saying about the word "normal".

Normal is a setting on a dishwasher, not a person.

So NO ONE is "normal" no matter how hard they try to be.

I am AB-normal

TJSieling
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
THAT, sir, probably describes every person on this planet, and if they exist, on other planets. o.O

Anni1
02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Taylor,

Welcome to BowlingBoards.

My name is Anneke, I live in Michigan and have been on an all-womens league since 1997.