PDA

View Full Version : Too many unhappy bolwers!

BowlingTechGirl
12-23-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm seeing so many unhappy bowlers lately! So many that are caught up with the outcome of the event, that they tend to never relax and enjoy the moment.
Sometimes success comes from the fact that you got the opportunity to participate. Changing your attitude and way of thinking is what's needed. Just remember, not everyone in bowling can say that they have had the opportunity to be where most of us are at, and getting to do what we love .Just the fact that we get to travel around this country and the world to compete as a elite bowler, and knowing that there is a kid out there that is right now dreaming the dream that most of us are living.

Great bowlers don't need the sport to define them or validate their worth to others.When great bowlers are competing,it is the most important thing in their world at that moment.It's this focus that makes them great.But when the competition is over,they don't think about bowling too much outside of the center.Whether their competition was good or bad.They have the ability to turn it off,and enjoy the rest of their time spent with family and friends.

This ability to turn it off helps them to perform at high levels.It helps them recover and prepare for their next competition.
The less successful bowlers are stressed and unable to recover quickly.They are the ones who constantly think about the sport,especially that bad parts.When they are constantly worrying they drain their energy and thus harms their performance.

If you can't turn it off...you are seriously setting yourself up for constant stress.
Remembering what you have versus what you don't can help shift your way of thinking and feeling good about where you are in this sport.
Part of enjoying this sport and letting go of the pressure you put on yourself is finding a way to enjoy the journey. Some us are not at the point of the journey we want, but this sport is what we chose, and where we want to be.
So please take the time to enjoy this journey.For tomorrow is never promised to us.

Angela Wilt Brunswick Regional Staff Member

Aslan
12-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Just remember, not everyone in bowling can say that they have had the opportunity to be where most of us are at, and getting to do what we love .Just the fact that we get to travel around this country and the world to compete as a elite bowler, and knowing that there is a kid out there that is right now dreaming the dream that most of us are living.

Kid? Hell...I'M dreaming of that!!

It's hard. I can definitely empathize with pro bowlers that feel like they can't make a decent living as a pro bowler and are barely scraping by...yet most other sports the pro level athletes are signing million dollar endorsements left and right. And I think under those stressors, it's definitely hard to appreciate that you're doing something many, many, many people all over the globe wish they could do.

But things are definitely different. Go back and watch some footage of old matches in the 50s/60s where you got guys like Dick Weber and Don Carter and Mike Limongello...and before the match they are sitting next to each other, relaxed, talking and laughing...just hanging out and enjoying the moment. Then you fast forward to nowadays and feel the stress through the TV screen as pros like Dom Barrett or Dick Allen watch matches slip away from them.

I saw it in a recent tournament...a good bowler, better than me thats for sure, and he was just having an awful squad. Missing left then left, then right, then left, then left...split after split...and this was a 200+ average bowler...scoring in the 120s-160s...and he was SO visibly upset...that you could almost "feel" it. And there's nothing you can say to them to make it better. I think I commented, "it's just not yer night man..." and that was the only thing I could come up with.

bobforsaken
12-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Saturday night I had to come back from behind to TIE my 6 year old 171 to 171.
Sunday afternoon my 6 year old beat me 189 to 176.

Proud and Humiliated at the same time.. LOL

fortheloveofbowling
12-23-2014, 05:10 PM

Proud and Humiliated at the same time.. LOL

Wow, that is some awesome scoring for a 6 year old!

bobforsaken
12-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Wow, that is some awesome scoring for a 6 year old!

He defintiely has his games.. He averages in the neighborhood of 130... We did an adult/youth league that just ended before Thanksgiving.. his average was better than my wife's and tied with the other adult playing on the other team. That's why I'm always working so hard on getting better.. I need to stay ahead of him.. :)

fortheloveofbowling
12-23-2014, 05:28 PM
He defintiely has his games.. He averages in the neighborhood of 130... We did an adult/youth league that just ended before Thanksgiving.. his average was better than my wife's and tied with the other adult playing on the other team. That's why I'm always working so hard on getting better.. I need to stay ahead of him.. :)

That is great. Good luck to all!

Hendu71
12-24-2014, 09:50 AM

Proud and Humiliated at the same time.. LOLWow, without bumpers? That's incredible!

Bradski9
12-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Sounds like he might pass you up when he gets to be closer to 18

Aslan
12-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Sounds like he might pass you up when he gets to be closer to 18

Probably more like 8.

Amyers
12-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Good luck keeping in front of him and a bad day bowling is still better than a good day doing most other things

bobforsaken
12-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Wow, without bumpers? That's incredible!

Yes, without bumpers. Ya he impresses the hell out of me.. I hope he sticks with it. Its so hard for me and my wife but it comes so easy to him.